Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Coping and Compassion
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-14-2009, 10:29 AM   #1
Hillbeans
If you're bored, please read a book or watch TV...TFs are scared of eyebrowless people
Pulled an "Agony of Defeat" at the mall
"I told them that I liked Michael Bolton!"

(Sad update pg2) My MIL went to Hospice today

It's just been the most awful few weeks (ok, few months) that I can remember for a very long time. MIL came to live with DH and our family earlier this year so we could get her Inflammatory Breast Cancer treated by a more specialized team than was available where she was living. She had a good few months over the summer where she was doing so much better but she went downhill fast in September and has been hospitalized/Nursing home rehabbing since October 23rd. Her cancer spread to her brain and tests done last week found there was nothing else that can be done. She is only 61.

She was removed from all IV's and medications last week and has not eaten since then as well. Her only request for "food" has been an occasional sip from a Sweet Tea from McDonalds.

I said goodbye to her last night and it was heartbreaking. DH has been such a wonderful son to her these past few days but he is walking around like a zombie. She went to the in-patient Hospice this morning and she is not expected to make it through the week. These holidays are going to be awful, we put up our tree on Saturday night but I am soooooo not into it this year. Thank goodness my boys 8 and 4 are so sweet and give DH and I a much needed distraction.

I lost my mom 6 years ago to Cancer and going through this again is just so tough. Please keep MIL in your good thoughts.
1977 - 1st Trip, 1982, 2nd Trip & EPCOT, 2003 - AKL, 2004 2 trips - Marriott World and POFQ, July 2005 - Grand Gathering - Emerald Isle - Coronado, Beach Club Villas, Dolphin - Mar/Apr 2007 - Mom's meet June '08, Grand Gathering # 2 - July '08 - Bought DVC July '08- First DVC trip to BWV June '09 - AKV Jambo Poly 2010, BCV June 2011, Disney Fantasy Eastern Cruise 11/2012, Disney Magic 11/2/14

Last edited by Hillbeans; 12-26-2009 at 08:32 AM. Reason: update
Hillbeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 10:59 AM   #2
safetymom
Have will travel
ABD trips = clothes optional

Sending hugs. It is tough watching a loved one struggle with health issues. Please try to take comfort in your memories.

Holidays are tough.
safetymom is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-14-2009, 01:51 PM   #3
torismom
DIS Veteran

Your family and MIL are in my thoughts and prayers. I am so sorry you are having to go through this. I could have written much of your post.

My father passed away 11/24/09. He was at home and Hospice was wonderful. The nurses, CNA's ,the chaplins were angels. I cannot say enough.

I understand your Dh walking around like a zombie. I did that. I went home and was able to spend the last 6 days with my father before he passed. During that time it was like a zombie an out of body experience.I was by his side when he left us and the zombie period lasted another week or so.

I will be thinking of your family. My heart goes out to you. I hope my expereience will help you some. Death doesnt come easy and paired with holidays is very hard.

Have strength and God is with your MIL.
Old 12-14-2009, 04:41 PM   #4
accarson
Mouseketeer

In my thoughts and prayers
Old 12-14-2009, 08:22 PM   #5
dogodisney
DIS Veteran

I can so relate. In Feb. 2002 I lost my mom (she was 63) , in Oct. of that same year we lost my FIL and 6 days after him, we lost my MIL. All three of them passed away within weeks of being diagnosed with cancer.

May God Bless you all and give you strength to get through this.
Old 12-14-2009, 10:45 PM   #6
karen l
DIS Veteran

I'm so sorry your MIL & family has to go through this nightmare. We can all sympathize - it's just so unfair. Prayers and best wishes to you & your family.
Old 12-15-2009, 12:11 AM   #7
Elfstar
Guarded by Dragons, Gargoyles...and Figment!

You are all in my thoughts and prayers. Hospice is wonderful, DH was only there for four days before he passed but it brought us both peace because of their caring and comforting of us both. Sounds like you both did everything you could to help your DMIL. Take comfort in that and the fact that she surely appreciated you both.
2006 - 3 trips this year - all Disney'd out for now.
2007 - another wonderful week at WDW (off site)
2008 - the saddest year of my life - DH has ALS; AKL for his final trip.
2009 - DH passed on 1/3 - "memory trip" 3/5 - 3/9 with his daughter.
Memory trip 6/28 - 7/4 POFQ - first solo trip, a little rough
F & W Festival trip - 9/24 - 9/29 with sister-in-law - AKL
2010 - 6/19-25, DTD hotel - carried DH in my heart, had a lovely trip!
Elfstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 12:04 PM   #8
312.Duck
pro-Duck

Quote:
Originally Posted by torismom View Post
My father passed away 11/24/09. He was at home and Hospice was wonderful. The nurses, CNA's ,the chaplins were angels. I cannot say enough.
+ 1

at home hospice is incredible. I couldn't think of a nicer way to go than at home, surrounded by family.

Hillbeans, I do not envy your position at this time. When the Decision comes for Hospice it is quite possibly the toughest pill in life to swallow - harder than the final breath in many respects. Stay strong for your DH.

Click here to see TyRy's Dis binder growth over time...
< "Miss you, mom."
312.Duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 08:49 PM   #9
Hillbeans
If you're bored, please read a book or watch TV...TFs are scared of eyebrowless people
Pulled an "Agony of Defeat" at the mall
"I told them that I liked Michael Bolton!"

Thanks for all of the kind words everyone. They help so much.

We really couldn't consider Hospice at our home because I wouldn't have wanted our 8 and 4 yo's to be around MIL dying in our home. I think it's a great option though and could see why most people would prefer this over going to an in-patient Hospice.

The one she is at is nice, it's near New Hope PA. I just never imagined this would be how this would all end up.
1977 - 1st Trip, 1982, 2nd Trip & EPCOT, 2003 - AKL, 2004 2 trips - Marriott World and POFQ, July 2005 - Grand Gathering - Emerald Isle - Coronado, Beach Club Villas, Dolphin - Mar/Apr 2007 - Mom's meet June '08, Grand Gathering # 2 - July '08 - Bought DVC July '08- First DVC trip to BWV June '09 - AKV Jambo Poly 2010, BCV June 2011, Disney Fantasy Eastern Cruise 11/2012, Disney Magic 11/2/14
Hillbeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 01:23 AM   #10
arminnie
Tossed the butter kept the gin
I had to save it for "special" occasions (like when no one I knew would see me)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillbeans View Post
The one she is at is nice, it's near New Hope PA. I just never imagined this would be how this would all end up.
I used to live in New Hope. It's a beautiful area.

I lost my mother to breast cancer 11 1/2 years ago. I am 2 years older than your MIL.

I am so sorry.
Old 12-16-2009, 02:01 AM   #11
cbmstephanie
Mouseketeer

I'm so sorry! It's so hard to know how you're going to feel, act, survive until you are put in this type of situation. Just remember to take care of yourself, grieve however you need to, do what you need to for your kids, your DH, and yourself. It won't be easy, but that's because you love her. I lost my dad this summer from cancer and I still cry just about every night. I tell myself it's OK...it's how I'm dealing with it. You'll find you're way...whatever that is. I will be praying for you all!
Old 12-16-2009, 11:57 AM   #12
dee47

"I can't unleash my full potential in a two page summary."

DVC Gold Member
Paid DVC Rent/Trade
Gold Membership

You and yours are in my heart and thoughts.

dee47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 07:05 PM   #13
arminnie
Tossed the butter kept the gin
I had to save it for "special" occasions (like when no one I knew would see me)

Sometime between when I posted last night and this am my dad had a massive stroke and is not expected to live. I am with him now at the hospital.
Old 12-16-2009, 07:11 PM   #14
safetymom
Have will travel
ABD trips = clothes optional

Quote:
Originally Posted by arminnie View Post
Sometime between when I posted last night and this am my dad had a massive stroke and is not expected to live. I am with him now at the hospital.
I am so sorry.
safetymom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 07:35 PM   #15
f86sabjf
Kingdom Keeper

we will keep your family in our thoughts and prayers. We just went through this last christmas .

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: