DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > DVC Member Services
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-13-2009, 07:26 PM   #1
johnnyd727
Earning My Ears

Pay cash for weekends?

We just joined DVC in August and just made our first reservation for next August. Is it common for members (or even possible) to pay for the weekend nights of a week long stay at the DVC member discounted rate in order to save points? Is this typically worth the cost? If so, how do we make those reservations - just by calling DVC and telling them we want to use our points for sun - thurs and pay cash for fri-sat?
johnnyd727 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 08:10 PM   #2
DebbieB
DVC Member BWV 99
You have to compare apples to apples

I have done it. You call member services and ask if there is availability. I did it for an OKW 1 bedroom, at the time it was around $325 and saved me 48 points. That came to under $7 a point.
Register to remove

Old 12-14-2009, 06:11 AM   #3
eliza61

We're Americans, we're survivors

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyd727 View Post
We just joined DVC in August and just made our first reservation for next August. Is it common for members (or even possible) to pay for the weekend nights of a week long stay at the DVC member discounted rate in order to save points? Is this typically worth the cost? If so, how do we make those reservations - just by calling DVC and telling them we want to use our points for sun - thurs and pay cash for fri-sat?
Yes it is possible to pay for your stay on the weekends. You have to decide on the worth though. I use my points for the entire trip (usually 10-11 nights) so I wouldn't have to pay cash. I also use my points to trade out to other vacations (which everyone says is not an economical use of points) so I'm not the person to ask about worth because the value of my points is the ability to not use cash.
Old 12-14-2009, 11:57 AM   #4
bunny
DIS Veteran

I received a pin code from CRO for 40% deluxe resorts. Could I make a reservation from CRO and then at check-in ask to remain in the same room? I know you can do that with cash reservations made through Member Services. I really don't want to move if I don't have to.
bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 12:02 PM   #5
TDC Nala
1937, what a year that was
Diet Coke on Ice or Else
I apparently don't do anything they want to stimulate

DISboards Moderator

I don't think it's possible to link a CRO or WDTC reservation with a DVC points reservation - they're two entirely different systems. You can link two reservations, cash and points, that were both booked through Member Services, but to take advantage of that discount you have to book through WDTC. No reason you can't ask to remain in the same room when you check out and check back in though, just that you probably can't link the reservations ahead of time.

If I am booking a cash reservation in addition to a DVC stay I do it at a value resort and then switch resorts - I am not interested in paying what it costs to stay in a DVC villa for cash.
Old 12-14-2009, 12:19 PM   #6
DebbieB
DVC Member BWV 99

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunny View Post
I received a pin code from CRO for 40% deluxe resorts. Could I make a reservation from CRO and then at check-in ask to remain in the same room? I know you can do that with cash reservations made through Member Services. I really don't want to move if I don't have to.
I did it with an AP rate once and was able to keep the same room. They can't be officially linked and your CRO dates are considered non-member (so no free internet but you get housekeeping).
Old 12-14-2009, 01:47 PM   #7
Cinderella1122
DVC member since 2008

Can you pay cash and not use points? I am thinking about taking a small trip and not using my points. How much is the discount usually?

June 2014 - Art of Animation
December 2014 - Undecided
Cinderella1122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 01:50 PM   #8
LSchrow
We're eating brussel sprouts & asparagus on the budget board
(pulling up a chair) I like drunk & happy better...

once, we had a dvc room, then weekend thru cro, then dvc, then weekend thru cro.
unfortunately they upgraded the cro portions of our ressies.
after a while of pleading at the fd, we had to move twice, but did get the same room for the end of our vacation.
now i try to book only thru dvc (i hate moving)
Old 12-14-2009, 01:52 PM   #9
LSchrow
We're eating brussel sprouts & asparagus on the budget board
(pulling up a chair) I like drunk & happy better...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinderella1122 View Post
Can you pay cash and not use points? I am thinking about taking a small trip and not using my points. How much is the discount usually?
25%, subject to availability yada-yada
btw, i was told you cannot book a bw view villa on cash, only points
Old 12-14-2009, 01:59 PM   #10
PatMcDuck
DIS Veteran

Sometimes we stay at Universal for Fri/Sat night.
PatMcDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 02:01 PM   #11
photobob
DIS Veteran

We sometimes book an offsite cheaper accommodation for arrival day, I won't pay the cash rates for a villa. Some will stay a day or two at the WDW values resorts to save points, but my last visit we stayed at an offsite place that had a two bedroom spacious condo for much cheaper than Pop Century.
*1997 CBR* *1999 ASMovies* *2001 ASMusic* *2003 Yacht Club* *2004 Yacht Club* *2005 Yacht Club* *2006 CSR* *2007 BWV* *2007 Vero Beach* *2008 VWL* *2008 DCL* *2008 BWV* *2009 Vero Beach* *2010 SSR* *2011 Beach Club!!*
photobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 09:30 PM   #12
wishicouldgomoreofte
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by photobob View Post
We sometimes book an offsite cheaper accommodation for arrival day, I won't pay the cash rates for a villa. Some will stay a day or two at the WDW values resorts to save points, but my last visit we stayed at an offsite place that had a two bedroom spacious condo for much cheaper than Pop Century.
Wow. How did you find that?
Old 12-17-2009, 07:05 AM   #13
Crystal_27
DIS Veteran

We wouldn't even consider paying cash when we could use points. Before DVC, I *hated* having to pay $300+ per night for a room (but we did it to be on the monorail) and, even discounted, Disney hotel rates are still incredibly high...much higher than "free" when booking with DVC points. We bought our points to use them, and the thought of moving rooms mid-vacation or staying offsite unnecessarily to save a few points just doesn't appeal to me. However, for some it works well - - just not with me.

Me (34); DD (9)
December, 2007 Land/Sea Trip Report
9 Days of Disney Dining (Food Report)
March, 2009 Trip Report
September, 2009 Eastern Cruise Trip Report

Next trips: Aulani in September, 2014 and Thanksgiving, 2014 on the Magic (YAY).
Crystal_27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 11:43 AM   #14
lark
DIS Veteran

If you're creative, cash can be a really good strategy.

I think part of the analysis depends on when you're planning to go. The seasons for DVC and the seasons for rack rates at DVC resorts do not line up. So, for example, after the first couple of weeks of July, DVC resorts are still in the relatively high "magic" category through the summer, while rack rates are in "value" season. DVC rents to members at the rack rate, minus the 25 percent if available.
lark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 12:02 PM   #15
DebbieB
DVC Member BWV 99

The 3 times I did it was because I really was not in a position to do an add-on. I figured out the cost of buying more points and the dues on those points and it broke out about even with the less than $7 per point for the room on member cash. I stayed in the same room each time.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: