Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-14-2009, 11:17 AM   #1
HeatherinVT
Mouseketeer

Help im stressed!!

Ok folks, Normally Im the queen of organization.... but with Christmas coming and etc im a mess!

We leave Wednesday!!!!! Packing is a mystery to me in Dec!
What do i pack!
Jeans
Shorts?
Tees or Long sleeves?
Fleece coats or sweatshirts?
hats mittens or flip flops and sunscreen?

HELP ME! PLEASE!

Also what can i expect for crowds Dec 16-23rd?
Im going with my hubby, DD(7) and First trip for my DS (3) and he is EXCITED!!!!!

ANY HELP WOULD BE APPRECIATED!!!! ANY !!!!
Old 12-14-2009, 11:25 AM   #2
wickey's friend
I can get older but who says I have to grow up . . .
Tittered at the Twitter comments
Co-workers think I'm nuts anyway

Hi!!! We leave Thursday, so I feel your pain.

We've been to WDW many times in December around this time, and we've watching the weather sites (Accuweather, National Weather Service, etc.) It looks like the lowest morning temp is around 41 and the highest during the day is mid-70s.

We're taking long pants (sweats, etc.), shorts, both long-sleeve and short-sleeve shirts and jackets/sweatshirts. I don't think you'll need heavy coats -- and we're from TExas, so once it gets below 60, I'm cold!

As for crowds -- it shouldn't be too bad the first of your trip. The crowds will build a little toward the end of the trip. But, some folks on the boards have mentioned it's been more crowded this year. I'm hoping those folks are there through free dining, which I think ends Wednesday. Let's hope everybody but your family and mine goes home.

Have a great time! Say, Hi! if you see us.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-14-2009, 11:30 AM   #3
patty57
DIS Veteran

We've been to WDW in December before and are going this year as well. I have to say you should pack a little bit of both. We have gone swimming and worn shorts and tees, but also been really cold even with fleece jackets on and long pants. It seems to be a real mixed bag. I'm definitely bringing summer clothes and much warmer ones too. Also bringing some cheap rain panchos for Splash Mountain and Kali River Rapids...especially if it's cold!
patty57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 11:34 AM   #4
Missytara
I'm all ears!

We were there two weeks ago; with just slightly higher temps. The days were good and a few days we had wonderful weather, but most evenings were cool.

I packed a nice sweater and a fleeced hoodie - I think I wore the fleeced hoodie almost every night, even though I work outside and thought the temps would be comfortable for me - it was somewhat windy when we went, which made a difference.

I packed more pants than usual, but still a few capris that I managed to wear during the day with short sleeved shirts - the trick is to wear the clean shirt at night, and then wear it again during the day at the parks, when you don't care if it gets wet or sweaty or dribbled ketchup on it.

It left me more room to bring more warmer clothes, like pants and that extra hoodie.
Old 12-14-2009, 11:43 AM   #5
MommaMouse411
Always dreaming of Disney

its going to be in the 70's...chance of rain, maybe just showers...but I live in tampa and I'm going over to the World on thursday till tuesday. and I'm packing maybe a few shorts in case if the weather heats up..but for the most part I'm bringing jeans/some sweaters to put over my tees. I'm also bringing coats in case the temps drop in the night.
MommaMouse411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 12:03 PM   #6
DebbieB
DVC Member BWV 99
You have to compare apples to apples

I just got back and brought shorts, capris, jeans, t-shirts, sweatshirts, sweater, jacket. I didn't wear the capris and only wore shorts on a couple days. I had to wash the jeans I brought because it was colder at the end of the week.
Old 12-14-2009, 12:36 PM   #7
Geoff_M
DIS Veteran, DVC Member, "Cum Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc"

We leave this weekend and I'll planning for mostly jeans and t-shirts with perhaps one pair of shorts and a sweatshirt and light jacket thrown in. Looks like we can expect highs in the low to mid 70's and evenings or mornings in the high 40's. I always tell my kids that you should pack for only one kind of weather: hotcolddrywet!

"Cry 'Havoc', and let slip Tomas Holmstrom!!!"

"In-a da crease... Out-a da crease... In-a da crease... Out-a da crease!!!!"

"Way, way back many centuries ago... Not long after the Bible began..."

Last edited by Geoff_M; 12-14-2009 at 12:46 PM.
Geoff_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 12:42 PM   #8
goofy4prez
DIS Dads Club Member #484
I hate the Steelers & Ravens like a mother loves a child!!!!

We're heading down tomorrow for two weeks and will be packing for hot and mild days. I'm sure there will be days in the upper 70's and others in the mid 60's during the day.

Achieved (6-10-12) and maintaining weight lost goal of 115 LBS.From 267 lbs to 152 lbs
goofy4prez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 12:46 PM   #9
kwitcherkicken99
Sleep keeps me pretty. CAFFEINE keeps me NICE!
This vicarious living is wonderful!
I'll take getting my feet up all the way

Pack in layers (layer tees and tops over long sleeve tops) and sweatshirts. Enough layers and you won't need a jacket!

I'd take a blanket for each of the kiddos for use in the park just in case (1 if you are using the Disney strollers).

Remember, it's much cheaper to peel off a layer than to have to buy park merchandise!
kwitcherkicken99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 12:49 PM   #10
puffkin
DVC Owner- SSR & AKV

I was there last week. We were bundled up Saturday/Sunday. Gloves even and we are used to the cold! Monday I wore jeans and a tshirt and by afternoon we hit the pool a little (still cool for me, but DN wanted to). Tuesday/Wednesday were gorgoues....shorts/capris during the day and pool weather for us. Comfortable at night. Thursday started off extremely humid...I had capris and a long sleeved t on and was roasting. Literally in 10 minutes the weather shifted and it was FREEZING! Went into Muppets roasting and exited to rain and plummeting temps. Bundled up the rest of Thursday and Friday. Saturday when we left around 10 am it was warming up nicely.

So, moral of the story, pack a little bit of everything!

PS...we only got rain twice the whole trip during park hours. Leading up to and even when we were there they were showing the week as a wash out and it wasn't at all! It did rain a bit at night after the parks closed, but it really wasn't bad at all. So check the forecast multiple times and always check it that morning as it literally changes overnight!

Veteran of 25+ trips to the World
puffkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 06:55 PM   #11
HeatherinVT
Mouseketeer

Thanks guys....but unfortunately you have not lightened my load as far as luggage goes

Im sure i have over packed and will have to ship stuff home by the time i shop

Thanks for the advice!
I will bring fleece coats for the kids and mom and dad will have to deal with long sleeve shirts and a sweatshirt if it gets too cold.

NOWWWWWW if i can just get my hubby to give me his stuff we will be ready to go! MEN!

See you all there!!
Old 12-14-2009, 07:00 PM   #12
shburks
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatherinVT View Post
Ok folks, Normally Im the queen of organization.... but with Christmas coming and etc im a mess!

We leave Wednesday!!!!! Packing is a mystery to me in Dec!
What do i pack!
Jeans
Shorts?
Tees or Long sleeves?
Fleece coats or sweatshirts?
hats mittens or flip flops and sunscreen?

HELP ME! PLEASE!

Also what can i expect for crowds Dec 16-23rd?
Im going with my hubby, DD(7) and First trip for my DS (3) and he is EXCITED!!!!!

ANY HELP WOULD BE APPRECIATED!!!! ANY !!!!

I could have written this post! We leave on Wed and stay until the 23rd--going with dh and ds (5) and it's his first time there! Weird! I was coming on here to stress out about clothes, too. Think I'll take a little bit of everything and hope for the best!!

DCL: Wonder: October 2015 * Magic: January 2014 * Fantasy: October 2013 * Dream: January 2013 * Fantasy: August 2012
WDW:All Star Sports Oct 2014 * Caribbean Beach Resort Oct 2014 * Beach Club Apr 2014 * Coronado Springs Oct 2013 * Boardwalk Sept 2013 * Animal Kingdom Lodge July 2013 * PO French Quarter (Jan 2013, Apr 2014) * Pop Century (Aug 2012, Dec 2009) * Wilderness Lodge (Sept, 2013, Oct 2011, Sept 2010), ASMo Dec 2003, off property: 1990, 1988, 1985
Disney's Vero Beach Resort: July 2013
shburks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 10:53 PM   #13
msmith07101
DIS Veteran

Me too...leaving Thursday and I keep checking the weather daily! We are driving...so, I can take a food mix, but last I checked, it seems like it will be on the cool side. Guess I'll keep checking and pack the clothes last! Happy travels to all!
'94 Port Orleans French Qtr/'95 Caribbean Beach Resort/'97 Coronado Springs/'01 All Star Music/'02 Sandals Royal Caribbean Jamaica/'05 CBR/'07 Disneyland & California Adventure- offsite/'08 Beaches Boscobel Jamaica/May 23,09 Disney Magic
December 2009 WDW CBR & Universal RPR
June 2010 Venice & Rome Italy
December 2010 Pop Century...to see my son & his HS marching band perform at WDW & US Macy's Parade!!
November 2012 Pop Century
November 2013- NYC- Macys Parade HS Band Trip

msmith07101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 05:57 AM   #14
neilsalop
Mouseketeer

We're bringing 3/4 length shorts, t-shirts, light fleeces and a a couple of pairs of cargo trousers (pants). It's mid to high 30s here at the moment and jeans, tee and fleece are fine, so even in the evenings we shouldn't feel the cold too much.

Last year DW got soaked on Kali and took ages to dry out, because it wasn't very warm, so I'd advise trying to stay dry, that way you should be warm enough most of the time.

We come at this time of the year for the better weather than we get at home (and to get out of cooking Christmas lunch) and so far we've never been disappointed. In fact in '99 we went to Daytona 3 days before Christmas and swam in the Atlantic and we plan to visit there or St Augustine this time and maybe go for a dip in the ocean again.

Good luck in deciding what not to bring.

May '96 (villa, Westridge) Xmas '99 (villa, Davenport) Sept '00 (viila, Southern Dunes) Aug '01 (villa, Poincianna) Oct '01 (our villa, Indian Pointe) June '02 (our villa, for the last time) Xmas '08 ([not our]villa, Indian Pointe) Xmas '09 Indian Point. October '10 Same again August '11 August '13 OKW and IDrive

Upcoming trip is our first on site
neilsalop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 06:47 AM   #15
wickey's friend
I can get older but who says I have to grow up . . .
Tittered at the Twitter comments
Co-workers think I'm nuts anyway

Now the temps forecasts are trending down from what they were earlier. So, I'm packing a few more long sleeves and taking a little heavier jacket. I personaly don't care -- I was there in June and just about melted in the 100 degee heat index.

One year, we went to MGM and it was 29 degrees that morning. It was a little chilly that day!

I'll be a Disney, so bring it on!!!!!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: