Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read





Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-12-2009, 01:47 PM   #1
just4today
Quirky about hair in front of eyes
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 1,366

Question for college instructors

Why is it that most instructors are very rigid about deadlines, but they don't seem to have any sense of urgency about grading students' work and providing feedback? How is it acceptable that students must turn in 4 essays over the course of a month without their instructor even having the decency to provide them with immediate feedback so that they can make necessary adjustments and corrections if they are doing something incorrectly?

The double standards that exist in academia are very frustrating.
just4today is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 01:57 PM   #2
bballmom56
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Northern New Jersey
Posts: 2,938

My DH is a college professor. He has 120 students. He has many committees on which he must serve at his college. He has advising duties for his students. He must attend college events. He communicates with students almost 24/7 - he has been online with them today as he is every weekend. He must prepare for classes and prepare exams for those classes (even though he may teach the same class each year, he will prepare new lectures and exams.)

Each paper takes about 20 minutes for him to read, make comments and grade.

Please be aware that your professors are not being lazy or procrastinating. You do not see half of what they have to do.

I have often wished my DH had a 9-5 job. I would see him a lot more often and we could actually do things.
bballmom56 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 12-12-2009, 02:01 PM   #3
just4today
Quirky about hair in front of eyes
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 1,366

Quote:
Originally Posted by bballmom56 View Post
My DH is a college professor. He has 120 students. He has many committees on which he must serve at his college. He has advising duties for his students. He must attend college events. He communicates with students almost 24/7 - he has been online with them today as he is every weekend. He must prepare for classes and prepare exams for those classes (even though he may teach the same class each year, he will prepare new lectures and exams.)

Each paper takes about 20 minutes for him to read, make comments and grade.

Please be aware that your professors are not being lazy or procrastinating. You do not see half of what they have to do.

I have often wished my DH had a 9-5 job. I would see him a lot more often and we could actually do things.
I understand that. Guess what? I'm a working adult too, and I have a family, and I am taking two graduate level classes at once. We're all busy. In my opinion, if I have to adhere to deadlines, the instructor should as well.
just4today is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 02:04 PM   #4
MushyMushy
Marseeya Here!
Drama Magnet
I only make exceptions for chocolate Mickey heads
I'm a big pie freak
I'll always laugh myself silly over the flag pole incident.
 
MushyMushy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: 938 miles from the Happiest Place on Earth
Posts: 18,604

I guess I was always very lucky. In the 6 years of undergrad and graduate school, I always got papers back within the week and also had no problems getting extensions on the deadlines when I needed them.

Is this just one professor or several?
__________________
MushyMushy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 02:08 PM   #5
happygirl
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 18,180

Quote:
Originally Posted by just4today View Post
I understand that. Guess what? I'm a working adult too, and I have a family, and I am taking two graduate level classes at once. We're all busy. In my opinion, if I have to adhere to deadlines, the instructor should as well.
I have never had a professor give a paper back?

I always worked under the asusmption that I worked under there schedule, they didn't work under mine
happygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 02:13 PM   #6
just4today
Quirky about hair in front of eyes
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 1,366

Quote:
Originally Posted by happygirl View Post
I have never had a professor give a paper back?
The work is submitted electronically via Blackboard. The instructor grades it and posts a grade. There is a place where the instructor can also add in remarks/feedback so that the student is aware of strengths and weaknesses with the submission.

And to bballmom56 - I didn't mean to seem like I'm jumping down your throat. I do understand the pressures of being responsible for so many students while also attending meetings and preparing for classes. However, I think it is to the instructor to manage these activities and give grades/feedback in an appropriate timeframe. If he or she is unable to do that, it's time to scale back the course load.
just4today is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 02:17 PM   #7
happygirl
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 18,180

Quote:
Originally Posted by just4today View Post
The work is submitted electronically via Blackboard. The instructor grades it and posts a grade. There is a place where the instructor can also add in remarks/feedback so that the student is aware of strengths and weaknesses with the submission.

And to bballmom56 - I didn't mean to seem like I'm jumping down your throat. I do understand the pressures of being responsible for so many students while also attending meetings and preparing for classes. However, I think it is to the instructor to manage these activities and give grades/feedback in an appropriate timeframe. If he or she is unable to do that, it's time to scale back the course load.
I take online class that what I'm saying they never give papers back, There is a grade and nothing else. I guess if you had any question can Email them
happygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 02:18 PM   #8
just4today
Quirky about hair in front of eyes
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 1,366

Quote:
Originally Posted by happygirl View Post
I take online class that what I'm saying they never give papers back, There is a grade and nothing else. I guess if you had any question can Email them
Let me put this another way:

I am complaining because the grades are still not posted after a month. Does that make sense?
just4today is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 02:31 PM   #9
Flight
Mouseketeer
 
Flight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 483

Some professors are there for their research and teaching is secondary.
Flight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 02:35 PM   #10
happygirl
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 18,180

Quote:
Originally Posted by just4today View Post
Let me put this another way:

I am complaining because the grades are still not posted after a month. Does that make sense?
LOL I have had teacher take all almost all semester to grade papers. So I emailed a her and said as long as she had them done by the end of the semester she was doing good.

I hope you hear something back soon
happygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 03:12 PM   #11
bballmom56
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Northern New Jersey
Posts: 2,938

Quote:
Originally Posted by just4today View Post

And to bballmom56 - I didn't mean to seem like I'm jumping down your throat. I do understand the pressures of being responsible for so many students while also attending meetings and preparing for classes. However, I think it is to the instructor to manage these activities and give grades/feedback in an appropriate timeframe. If he or she is unable to do that, it's time to scale back the course load.
ummm, he can't scale back the course load - there is a minimum requirement for full time faculty. The college is adding more students to all classes adding to the workload. He used to have 20 students per class. He now has 30-40.

BTW, he did his entire undergrad, 2 master's and PhD programs on a part time basis while working full time (many times with mandatory overtime) while supporting a family. He is entirely familiar with a heavy workload.
bballmom56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 03:16 PM   #12
mom2grace
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Somewhere over the rainbow
Posts: 1,889

Are you complaining about me?!

I agree with bballmom56, we have more students, more responsibilities, less time.

Also, I try not to release grades until all of the assignments are in, so that's another week since I allow 1 additional week late, with 10% off. These are for online courses. I must say, for my face-to-face courses, I stick to a strict 2 week return time, and aim for that for online as well.

It's simply not an equal relationship!
mom2grace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 03:17 PM   #13
mom2grace
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Somewhere over the rainbow
Posts: 1,889

Quote:
Originally Posted by bballmom56 View Post
The college is adding more students to all classes adding to the workload. He used to have 20 students per class. He now has 30-40.
So, if he can grade a paper in 20 minutes, that would take 10 hours if he only had 30 students, 13+ for 40. My guess is that you don't spend 10 hours writing a paper!
mom2grace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 03:40 PM   #14
KandD
BUT YOU NEVER SAID THEY HAD TO BE WEARING SHOES!!!
 
KandD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: New England
Posts: 926

Oh my gosh I sooo know what you mean!! My professor told us that grades were due by Wednesday but yet she still hasn't graded our final papers (so of course our final grades aren't in). I don't understand...unless she had the date wrong.

ETA: In allll of my years of undergrad and grad work this is the first time I have really had a problem with how long a prof. has taken to grade papers. I am sure years ago there might have been more that I don't recall but I have had this prof. two semesters in a row and she really takes a long time to grade things.
__________________
Next Disney trip: 8/31/12-09/08/12 Port Orleans French Quarter

Last edited by KandD; 12-12-2009 at 03:45 PM.
KandD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 04:18 PM   #15
MushyMushy
Marseeya Here!
Drama Magnet
I only make exceptions for chocolate Mickey heads
I'm a big pie freak
I'll always laugh myself silly over the flag pole incident.
 
MushyMushy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: 938 miles from the Happiest Place on Earth
Posts: 18,604

Quote:
Originally Posted by happygirl View Post
I take online class that what I'm saying they never give papers back, There is a grade and nothing else. I guess if you had any question can Email them
Why wouldn't you get your papers back with comments written on them? I have never ever just received a grade for a paper. My degree is in English, so I've written way more than my fair share, too.
__________________
MushyMushy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Stupid/odd question - keeping crayons "connected" Minnesota! Disney for Families 25 12-15-2009 08:45 AM
I feel stupid asking this question, but someone told me you can buy a VIP Fast Pass. hookedonears Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies 68 12-14-2009 05:15 PM
BC club level question PixieDustLove Disney Resorts 4 12-14-2009 03:20 PM
Question about Country Bear Jamboree rob2004fx4 Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies 13 12-12-2009 04:57 PM
Question about tickets? TammyAlphabet Disneyland (California) 3 12-12-2009 01:45 PM

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:37 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.