Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-10-2009, 02:27 PM   #1
momtoBrandon&Jacob
DIS Veteran

What do you think about talking on your cell phone during a ride?

Ok funny story. We were on test track back in October for our Halloween trip. Only my boys and I went on the ride so we got the 3 seats in the front while a mom and her 2 boys were behind us. Well I turn around and the mom is on her cell phone during the entire ride! I just thought it was so weird! Her boys looked like they were having a good time but she obviously couldn't be bothered. It was of no harm to anyone and I could tell it was not an "important" conversation. She was just laid back and chatting. She was still on her phone when we got off the ride and going through the area with the GM cars. Her boys were lagging behind...

Oops I didn't mean to post this on the TR board. Can a mod please move this?? Thx!

5/11 WL * 10/09 POFQ MNSSHP & F&WF * 5/08 Pirate & Priness Party POFQ * 4/07 POFQ
momtoBrandon&Jacob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 03:02 PM   #2
OhMari
WDW PreTrip and Trip Moderator

DISboards Moderator

I moved it.

Pretty sad, when people don't get that it's time to put away the phones and spend some quality time with your kids.
I can see using your phones for emergencies.,ie
looking for lost members of your party, or maybe calling someone to say,
"hey, I'm on this ride at WDW", but to call someone and ignore the people or your kids that you are with is just wrong.
OhMari is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-10-2009, 03:10 PM   #3
MissDisney04
Earning My Ears

one of my biggest pet peeves in ride (the biggest is cameras)

once my brother and i got off of pirates after some old man spent the whole ride planning lunch and i said (pretty close, it was 2.5 years ago)

"wow that ride would have been awesome if it werent for RUDE people talking through the whole thing. you would think someone that old would have manners....i mean they get mad at us for being so rude and so disrespectful"

spiteful, yes. immature, surely...but i felt better....and yes he could hear every word, we walked out side by side as we were one row behind him in the boat

we rode again, *** he really did mess it up for us

and on HM i said rude really loud a couple times when 2 buggies behind us kept snapping pictures in the seance room (after being warned not to)

normally though, i vent on the way out, not in ride

Disneyland 9 times: 85, 90, 96, 04, 05, 06, April 07, June 07, 08
Disney World twice: 2005 (10 days), 2007 (16 days)
The Fruit Crew: Its Me My Hubby AND My brother and his 2 boyfriends

Life is like a rollercoaster......you start off climbing to the top (child years) and then spend a thrilling, albeit emotional plunge into dips and hills (teenage to early adult) then as you get to the middle, it has loops and turns that you arent expecting (adulthood) and by the end, you are hopefully glad you had the ride you did (elderly/dying)...i just hope my rollercoaster is a Disney coaster, i live for a great story
MissDisney04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 03:10 PM   #4
Eeyore'sthebest
DIS Veteran
Not So Tagless in NJ
They don't call them crackberries for nothing!
talk about chafing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhMari View Post
I moved it.

Pretty sad, when people don't get that it's time to put away the phones and spend some quality time with your kids.
I can see using your phones for emergencies.,ie
looking for lost members of your party, or maybe calling someone to say,
"hey, I'm on this ride at WDW", but to call someone and ignore the people or your kids that you are with is just wrong.
I completely agree! That's just plain sad. I take DD on vacation to enjoy our time together. One of my joys is seeing her face light up at different things.
Old 12-10-2009, 03:19 PM   #5
nutterbutter2010
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissDisney04 View Post
one of my biggest pet peeves in ride (the biggest is cameras)

once my brother and i got off of pirates after some old man spent the whole ride planning lunch and i said (pretty close, it was 2.5 years ago)

"wow that ride would have been awesome if it werent for RUDE people talking through the whole thing. you would think someone that old would have manners....i mean they get mad at us for being so rude and so disrespectful"

spiteful, yes. immature, surely...but i felt better....and yes he could hear every word, we walked out side by side as we were one row behind him in the boat

we rode again, *** he really did mess it up for us

and on HM i said rude really loud a couple times when 2 buggies behind us kept snapping pictures in the seance room (after being warned not to)

normally though, i vent on the way out, not in ride
Sorry, but I think you need to learn how to block other people out a bit. So the guy was trying to figure out what he was doing next. Unless he was screaming, you need to get over it. And as far as people taking pictures - doesn't bother me in the least. They want to be able to remember their trip - makes sence to me! If others are bothered by the flash.... seems silly.
When I'm in Disney, I'm paying attention to myself, my kids, and my DH, and thats it.
nutterbutter2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 03:21 PM   #6
dislaney
faithlovepixiedust

I take pictures using my phone on rides. Well some rides I do. I don't speak on the phone though. I really think it's kinda rude to talk on the cell -especially on a ride where others are in your car.
Old 12-10-2009, 03:25 PM   #7
clarabelle
Pandas don't seem to have much of a survival instinct
What happens after the poo is picked up?

I find the flash very distracting.

If they are talking on the cell phone in the same tone of voice as a normal conversation -I wouldn't notice
clarabelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 03:26 PM   #8
mill4023
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by nutterbutter2010 View Post
Sorry, but I think you need to learn how to block other people out a bit. So the guy was trying to figure out what he was doing next. Unless he was screaming, you need to get over it. And as far as people taking pictures - doesn't bother me in the least. They want to be able to remember their trip - makes sence to me! If others are bothered by the flash.... seems silly.
When I'm in Disney, I'm paying attention to myself, my kids, and my DH, and thats it.
It's not silly. It's against the rules and it detracts from everyone else's enjoyment of the attraction.
September, 2007 - Pop Century
June, 2011 - Indian Creek Villa

Fun family games for a road trip

The 9 best iPhone apps for a road trip
mill4023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 03:27 PM   #9
clarabelle
Pandas don't seem to have much of a survival instinct
What happens after the poo is picked up?

Quote:
And as far as people taking pictures - doesn't bother me in the least. They want to be able to remember their trip - makes sence to me! If others are bothered by the flash.... seems silly.

I don't think a repeated flash is something you can ignore. Besides -it is against the "rules"
clarabelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 03:27 PM   #10
Planogirl
I feel the nerd in me stirring already
Oh well, let's look on the bright side
If I hadn't been so wiped out I would have kissed my anesthesiologist

Quote:
Flash photography can be very annoying if it's pointed in your direction in any way. It can blind and be extremely distracting.

As for phones, I turn mine off when I'm in the parks. If someone needed to reach me, I'd turn it off when I got on a ride and then turn it on when I got off. They can wait.
Old 12-10-2009, 03:31 PM   #11
nutterbutter2010
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mill4023 View Post
It's not silly. It's against the rules and it detracts from everyone else's enjoyment of the attraction.
Quote:
Originally Posted by clarabelle View Post
I don't think a repeated flash is something you can ignore. Besides -it is against the "rules"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Planogirl View Post
Flash photography can be very annoying if it's pointed in your direction in any way. It can blind and be extremely distracting.

As for phones, I turn mine off when I'm in the parks. If someone needed to reach me, I'd turn it off when I got on a ride and then turn it on when I got off. They can wait.
If someone is behind me or infront of me, and taking a flash photo of something to the right or left, it truthfully would not bother me and I, personally, don't see the big deal. If someone infront of me turned around, and took a flash photo of something behind me (hence in my face) then yes, that would be a bit bothersom.
nutterbutter2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 03:33 PM   #12
Flight
DIS Veteran

"What do you think about talking on your cell phone during a ride?"

I think it is rude and unnecessary.
Flight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 03:34 PM   #13
Planogirl
I feel the nerd in me stirring already
Oh well, let's look on the bright side
If I hadn't been so wiped out I would have kissed my anesthesiologist

Quote:
If someone is behind me or infront of me, and taking a flash photo of something to the right or left, it truthfully would not bother me and I, personally, don't see the big deal. If someone infront of me turned around, and took a flash photo of something behind me (hence in my face) then yes, that would be a bit bothersom.
It can be quite disturbing to me when they're behind us too. They tend to shoot forward a bit and I'm often looking to the side and then that ridiculous flash hits my eye. I hate it but of course YMMV.

Besides as someone already pointed out, it's against the rules and presumably for a reason.
Old 12-10-2009, 03:35 PM   #14
Scurvy
Kungaloosh!

I sort of think it depends. If they are talking and interfering with someone else's ability to hear the ride spiel, that's obviously wrong. It's no better than talking during a movie, in my opinion. But occasionally I use my phone on rides. My mom can't travel as much these days as she used to and she loves WDW. Sometimes on a ride with a loud soundtrack I'll call her while I ride and she listens to it. I don't talk, I just let her hear the ride. She enjoys it and it doesn't bother those around us, so I don't see anything wrong with it.

I also think there are times when someone might have to be on the phone during a family vacation even if they don't want to be. My husband has times at his job when they have multiple telecons each day, and he has to call in to all of them. He doesn't talk on rides, but he mutes the phone and listens. He often spends a large amount of time on the phone. We don't love that, but we'd rather go on our vacation and put up with the telecons than skip the vacation entirely.

As for the flash pictures on dark rides, those are always rude. It doesn't matter which way the flash is pointing - it interferes with the theming of the ride. (Sometimes ruining the effects completely, as in the case of the Haunted Mansion.)
Old 12-10-2009, 03:45 PM   #15
Minnie*J*
Mouseketeer

A couple of years ago on the Carousel of Progress (I think that is the name) some lady answered her phone and had a conversation. I thought it was very rude.

For some reason, I can not remember ever seeing a camera flash on a ride. I guess it doesn't bother me since I never noticed it.
Minnie*J* is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: