Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-19-2010, 12:24 PM   #151
DisneyDaddy-O
Dis Dads Club Member #286
I'm sure those driving beside me thought I was nuts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessCaitlin View Post
My favorite part of the trailer is when they are all gathered around the see and say gambling!
Ya, thats hilarious, I like when Barbie and Ken see each other for the first time and Ken says "Love your legwarmers" and Barbie say "nice ascot"

Quote:
Originally Posted by heaven2dc View Post
Great night time shots! I love the Great Movie Ride as well - especially the last scene of Wizard of Oz.
Thanks, my entire family loves this ride, I think we went on it 4 or 5 times during the entire trip.

Oct 97 CBR Disney Honeymoon, Jan 06 AS Sports First Family Vacation, Jan 07 POR Jan 08 POP, Jan 09 POR, Jan 10 POR, AUG 10 POP, JAN 11 POR, AUG 11 POP,
AUG 12 ASM,CSR,SSR,POR(yep all 4),OCT 13 POR First Halloween Party and Food & Wine
Old 02-19-2010, 01:17 PM   #152
DisneyFed
DIS Veteran

Ha ha...was this the day you sent me the text??

Awesome pics man

"If it's one thing that I've learned from all this living, is that it wouldn't change a thing if I let go"

"I'll make a wish and do as dreamers do"
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-19-2010, 02:44 PM   #153
DisneyDaddy-O

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyFed View Post
Ha ha...was this the day you sent me the text??

Awesome pics man
No, not this day, shhhhhh..your gonna spoil the surprise

Thanks Mike.

Oct 97 CBR Disney Honeymoon, Jan 06 AS Sports First Family Vacation, Jan 07 POR Jan 08 POP, Jan 09 POR, Jan 10 POR, AUG 10 POP, JAN 11 POR, AUG 11 POP,
AUG 12 ASM,CSR,SSR,POR(yep all 4),OCT 13 POR First Halloween Party and Food & Wine
Old 02-19-2010, 07:16 PM   #154
DisneyFed
DIS Veteran

OOPS...

"If it's one thing that I've learned from all this living, is that it wouldn't change a thing if I let go"

"I'll make a wish and do as dreamers do"
Old 02-20-2010, 10:11 PM   #155
itJeff
I'm just not so sure how well this plan was thought through.

Awesome pics!

I'm especially glad to hear how much you like Riverside. That's where we'll be in May. Did you (by chance) get any pics in AB? I imagine that's where they'll put us since there are 5 of us.

Looks like y'all had a great time. Keep the updates coming!
Dis Dad's Club Member #367

We're driving 17 hours??? AGAIN??? Yes Dear, I'm THAT kinda guy. My Pre-Trip Report (Updated 5/18)

2001 FW Cabins - 2007 CBR - 2010 POR
Old 02-21-2010, 10:30 AM   #156
stopher1

Wall to wall creeps, and hot and cold running chills! Shh...listen
I have plenty of hill left to climb thank you very much

Location: Indiana + AKV, SSR, VGC & Aulani (wishing to be able to ADD VWL to the mix too)

Quote:
Originally Posted by itJeff View Post
Awesome pics!

I'm especially glad to hear how much you like Riverside. That's where we'll be in May. Did you (by chance) get any pics in AB? I imagine that's where they'll put us since there are 5 of us.

We stayed in Alligator Bayou in 2006 when we stayed at POR. It was enjoyable. We really liked being close to Ol' Man Island. We were closer to a quiet pool, but not far from OMI either. My DW really loves the shade that the myraid oaks provide there at POR. I have some pics, but don't want to hijack the thread....

DISNEYLAND: Way too many to possibly count! I grew up 30 mins. from DL. Former CM. AP holder for 20 yrs. Premier Pass AP. All 3 DL Resorts and numerous off-site hotels.
WDW: 58 trips on & off-site, including DVC, Deluxe, Moderate & Value - in 18 different WDW resorts & numerous off-site resorts. AP holder for 5 yrs. Premier Pass AP holder.
AULANI: 1 so far. More to come though, & definitely looking forward to returning!
Old 02-21-2010, 01:30 PM   #157
itJeff
I'm just not so sure how well this plan was thought through.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stopher1 View Post
We stayed in Alligator Bayou in 2006 when we stayed at POR. It was enjoyable. We really liked being close to Ol' Man Island. We were closer to a quiet pool, but not far from OMI either. My DW really loves the shade that the myraid oaks provide there at POR. I have some pics, but don't want to hijack the thread....
Any chance you have them posted in another thread or TR?
Dis Dad's Club Member #367

We're driving 17 hours??? AGAIN??? Yes Dear, I'm THAT kinda guy. My Pre-Trip Report (Updated 5/18)

2001 FW Cabins - 2007 CBR - 2010 POR
Old 02-21-2010, 08:42 PM   #158
stopher1

Location: Indiana + AKV, SSR, VGC & Aulani (wishing to be able to ADD VWL to the mix too)

Quote:
Any chance you have them posted in another thread or TR?
No - but wait, perhaps I'll post some on FB for you....

DISNEYLAND: Way too many to possibly count! I grew up 30 mins. from DL. Former CM. AP holder for 20 yrs. Premier Pass AP. All 3 DL Resorts and numerous off-site hotels.
WDW: 58 trips on & off-site, including DVC, Deluxe, Moderate & Value - in 18 different WDW resorts & numerous off-site resorts. AP holder for 5 yrs. Premier Pass AP holder.
AULANI: 1 so far. More to come though, & definitely looking forward to returning!
Old 02-22-2010, 07:04 AM   #159
DisneyDaddy-O

Quote:
Awesome pics!

Quote:
We absolutely love POR, a great place to take a walk in the morning or evening. You can walk from POR to POFQ and go the restaurant there, or use that pool. Great resort!! You will have a blast.

I did not get to that area, we have stayed in the Magnolia area on all of our stays.

Please go ahead and share pics, hijack away...thats what we are all here for.

Old 02-22-2010, 08:02 AM   #160
stopher1

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyDaddy-O View Post
Please go ahead and share pics, hijack away...thats what we are all here for.
Ok, but don't say later on that I didn't warn you...

Old 02-22-2010, 08:37 AM   #161
stopher1

Port Orleans Resort - as we know it today, is really just the combination of two very different resorts as they were originally built and opened. The French Quarter portion is the original Port Orleans Resort. The Riverside portion was originally operated as DIXIE LANDINGS, which was a celebration of the old south. Riverside is further divided into Magnolia Bend and Alligator Bayou. Magnolia Bend buildings are designed to look like grand old plantations, while Alligator Bayou is more back river, country type dwellings, that might be found deeper in the woods, more rustic and less genteel than the rest.

They were both temporarily closed after 9/11 when bookings for WDW dropped into the basement as people didn't really want to travel for a time. When they finally reopened it in I believe it was mid-2002, rather than being two distinct resorts, they were blended into one single resort complex under the revised name banner. I've read and been told by others that Disney took that opportunity to follow legal advice and remove the Dixie Landings name since it implied a lot of different things about the old south that the lawyers weren't too thrilled with... but I cannot say for certain that that's why they did it.

Because there were originally once separate resorts, each one has it's own entrance/DME drop-off point (porte cachere)/Bell Services/Check-in desk/restaurant complex/feature pool/etc.

Here's the Riverside entrance

Porte Cachere

Prior to staying there ourselves, I read an interesting article about the two resorts and how they were designed. FQ of course celebrates the New Orleans area, and the hustle and bustle of being basically the mouth of the river - the hub of transportation in that day. Then as you go further up river you find the gracious, sprawling plantation complexes of Magnolia Bend and the port town at Dixie Landings. Then continue further up river, and you'll find the backwoods country of Alligator Bayou where supplies aren't as prevalent, and structures don't always match, since building materials aren't as readily available upriver as they are "in town". (While the buildings do look similar, as you wander around, you'll notice a variety of different brick, wood and exterior surfaces used the further you get from the main building... less brick, more wood, etc. It's really kind of cool how they played that concept out).

Looking back towards the main building, as we head into AB and the room we stayed in. The bridge you see takes you across to Ol' Man Island

The waterwheel is right outside the food court
Riverside has both a food court and a table service - Boatwrights

Birds up the wazoo were on this bank every day of our stay

Across the water behind the trees is Ol' Man Island - the feature pool

Standing on Ol' Man Island, looking across the river to the boat landing, with the main building behind. On the left side is the main lobby. In the center under the tower is main foyer, with the restuarants to the right side, and Fulton's General Store to the top right as well

Ol' Man Island is a fun place. There is the pool, a pool bar, a playground area, and the Ol' Fishing Hole where you can go and fish with a cane pole. It's a neat place for young kids to go and be able to catch something. Catch & release like elsewhere on property, but in a protected little cove, stocked with a lot of fish. Sorry, no pics of that though.

Looking down river, beyond the boat launch, towards Magnolia Bend, where the buildings are more grand, and the landscaping more refined...

Walking up into Alligator Bayou - this is the part of Riverside that will accomodate 5 in a room, via 2 doubles and a trundle bed (shorter than a twin though, so not really a good fit for anyone older than a pre-teen, though I know adults who've slept on one

The building we were in - building 25 -two of my kids are right in front of the room we were in. Note the design differences in the first pic and this one. The first one had brick, ours doesn't. Different roof lines too. Small subtle differences that might not be readily picked up on, but they do help tell the story effectively

Our first floor room

Last edited by stopher1; 02-22-2010 at 09:00 AM.
Old 02-22-2010, 08:58 AM   #162
stopher1

Here are views of our room on the inside too

Looking from the door area in to the room

Looking back towards the door from the bathroom. At the extreme left corner of this picture is the included mini-fridge. Great for storing milk for a morning's bowl of cereal, etc

The sink/dressing area - we were quite impressed with the quality of the finishes used. We really liked this room with the curtain that could be closed off, separating a bit from the bed area. It was very nice at night when the kids were sleeping, and we could still have the light on over the sink - a BIG difference from the values!

Looking in to the bath/toilet room

The tv hides away inside the armoire (with closeable doors) when not in use

A look at the detail above the beds too, again, a nice step up from the values

A look up river towards Alligator Bayou from Ol' Man Island

The signage is great. You can walk around the river to get to Magnolia Bend from Alligator Bayou, or the other way around to the Lobby

Our room was just a short walk from the North bus stop. There are 4 stops, or is it 5, at least that's what I'm remembering, (though I could be wrong) on the POR loop.

One morning it was very humid, and I got this cool ghost effect on the first couple of pics of the day

A peek at Fulton's General Store out the DME window on our last day - they actually had us on a DCL bus headed to the airport, hence the painted round "porthole" window

Old 02-22-2010, 09:01 AM   #163
DisneyDaddy-O

Quote:
Ok, but don't say later on that I didn't warn you...
...on second thought.

just kidding......I have never even walked into that area, I will have to make a right instead of just lefts next time.

Jeff, I think this resort is, in my opinion, one of the better themed mods on property. The only thing that would make this resort perfect for me is some Queen sized beds. Other than that we are on I think you will really enjoy it.

Old 02-22-2010, 09:07 AM   #164
stopher1

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyDaddy-O View Post
Jeff, I think this resort is, in my opinion, one of the better themed mods on property. The only thing that would make this resort perfect for me is some Queen sized beds. Other than that we are on I think you will really enjoy it.
I agree. We really enjoyed our stay there. The kids loved Ol' Man Island, and my DW loved the landscaping. We enjoyed that there was bedding for all 5 of us - but yes, definitely at least a queen sized bed would be better. My DW has said she'd like to shirk DVC one time and go back there at some point in the future. Perhaps we will someday - without the kids.

Last edited by stopher1; 02-22-2010 at 09:42 AM.
Old 02-22-2010, 09:15 AM   #165
DisneyDaddy-O

Quote:
Perhaps we will someday - without the kids.
This place is easily one of the more romantic places we have stayed. (I know I am getting awfully close to getting my man card revoked saying that...)

We have a Oct anniversary trip in the works that may very well be without kids. They are not very happy with the idea, but as they would say..."too bad, soo sad"

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: