Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Pre-Trip Reports and Plans
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-16-2009, 01:25 PM   #31
that's nice
DDC #330

Maybe the entire internet is slowing down because of this thread

I wish I can 'officially' add my name but we are trying to get through this next trip right now. I know my DW said we are definitely going to WDW in December '10 so I might be added to the list!

I am monitoring this thread. I'll try to add some input even if I'm not going to make it.
that's nice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 02:27 PM   #32
FreezinRafiki
DDC 322
Cold enough for ya?
Shocking, isn't it. Oh, wait, thats a taser

Quote:
Originally Posted by that's nice View Post
I wish I can 'officially' add my name but we are trying to get through this next trip right now. I know my DW said we are definitely going to WDW in December '10 so I might be added to the list!

I am monitoring this thread. I'll try to add some input even if I'm not going to make it.
Oh, I'm pretty sure you'll make it. After we party it up in March, it's all you'll be talking about.
Register to remove

Old 12-16-2009, 11:18 PM   #33
Disney Commando
DDC
Disney Fans Are Friends
now I have some things to plan, I'm going to try to get the Dapper Dans

Looking good so far - 5 onboard - some on the fence - new dad's joining everyday. If 20 or 25 guys can make it that would be awesome, with 352 days to go and new members could far exceed that
1976 Contemp, 82 Contemp, 86 Contemp, 8/03 Honeymoon Off Site, 7/05 Off Site. 11/08 Off Site, Halloween till 11/08/09 ASM w/ Free DDP, Dis Dads Dec. Trip 12/5 - 12/11, 2010 8/11 ASM, 8/12 Off Site, 11/12 ASM, 8/13 ASM, 4/14 POP, 6/14 AKL, 8/14 POP

Dis Dad Member #393
WDW Commando Member #1
Disney Commando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 09:06 PM   #34
Disney Commando
DDC
Disney Fans Are Friends

Disney Christmas Parade Observations

Since we will be at WDW most likely during the taping of the Christmas Parade, I tried to pay close attention to what was going on, hey we might as well try to get our hands into something. The one main observation I saw was that at most of the concert events the first couple rows of people were wearing OMG Red, just like the color Barry posted for the shirt, OK after reading some feedback I do agree red might not be the best color for the Dis Dad's for the rest of the year, but for Dec. it seems like a good choice (or going out of the box hunter green might also work). Another item I noticed was the santa hat, I'm not sure if they make a Christmas Goofy hat or not, but if they do to stand out and be chosen to be up front it might be worth looking into.
I may seem gung-ho about all this, but after being in the car show circuit since 1988 and now making floats for parades for my son, with a awesome win record. As a group if we can succeed some things in Dec. all the Dis Dad's succeed there or not! If we are going to be in it we might as well win it!
1976 Contemp, 82 Contemp, 86 Contemp, 8/03 Honeymoon Off Site, 7/05 Off Site. 11/08 Off Site, Halloween till 11/08/09 ASM w/ Free DDP, Dis Dads Dec. Trip 12/5 - 12/11, 2010 8/11 ASM, 8/12 Off Site, 11/12 ASM, 8/13 ASM, 4/14 POP, 6/14 AKL, 8/14 POP

Dis Dad Member #393
WDW Commando Member #1
Old 12-28-2009, 03:42 PM   #35
dvczerfs
DIS Veteran

just some insight on what we did for the easter "parade". it was about 13 years ago we were down during the easter "parade" taping. we walked into the mk and seen the cameras set up and sat on the curb directly across from the camera that was set up in front of the movie theater on main street. after waiting on the curb from 8am till 2pm, production crews etc.. were setting up and of course you have to fight for your spot the entire time. finally, a girl came out, introducer herself and instructed us how to cheer. and yes, anyone with a coors light shirt or bigpeckers t shirt will not be sitting on the curb unless you turn your shirt inside out. the first "float" comes down and your instructed to yell like its the best thing you have ever scene in your life. than, they back up, and after waiting for 5-8 min. you do it again to that float. some items are taped three or four times. the 20 min. parade took 3 hours. its a production set, not a parade as you see on tv. yes, we made it on the easter day parade and we have it on vhs. you can see us about 3 times. they tape the parade a few times and chop scenes and sets out of each one and use the best shots.what you see as a big happy party, is a huge production set and it is staged.it was fun, but a little boring and plan on it consuming the entire day and as they told us, "if another day of taping is brighter and sunnier your likeness will not be used. this is a commercial for wdw and dl and people want to see sunny skis." they told us AFTER the "parade" was over.

Last edited by dvczerfs; 12-28-2009 at 03:48 PM.
dvczerfs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 04:27 PM   #36
FreezinRafiki
DDC 322
Cold enough for ya?

The two times we've been down there in early December, we actively avoided the Magic Kingdom on parade taping days. If you're not interested in the taping, it really clogs up Main Street. As cool as it would be to end up on TV for the parade, I don't think its worth my family's time to spend the better part of a day hanging around waiting for the production crew to get set up.
If anyone does try to do the taping, be sure to let us know so we can set our Tivos on Christmas Day to try and see you!
Old 12-28-2009, 11:09 PM   #37
Disney Commando
DDC
Disney Fans Are Friends

Well I didn't plan on it being a all day thing, so I'll put this on the backburner. Still have a couple of tricks up the sleeve for this. When it gets closer to the trip and we know around how many Dis Dads will be there at the time, I'll fill everyone in on some ideas!

Dis Dad Member #393
WDW Commando Member #1
Old 12-29-2009, 06:57 AM   #38
FreezinRafiki
DDC 322
Cold enough for ya?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disney Commando View Post
Well I didn't plan on it being a all day thing, so I'll put this on the backburner. Still have a couple of tricks up the sleeve for this. When it gets closer to the trip and we know around how many Dis Dads will be there at the time, I'll fill everyone in on some ideas!
Ooooo... I love a good mystery!
Old 12-30-2009, 12:28 PM   #39
Goofy + 3
DDC 400
Remember, it's ok to cry a little. Not too much, just a little

I'll be there. We're not officially booked until my cousin (holder of the DVC points) books it next week, but it's close enough.

screen name: Goofy + 3 (it should be 4, but too late to change it)
Family: DW, DD5, DS3, DD.5 (will not be on the trip)
Dates: Dec 3-10, 2010
DIS Dad #400
Goofy + 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 01:22 PM   #40
FreezinRafiki
DDC 322
Cold enough for ya?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goofy + 3 View Post
I'll be there. We're not officially booked until my cousin (holder of the DVC points) books it next week, but it's close enough.

screen name: Goofy + 3 (it should be 4, but too late to change it)
Family: DW, DD5, DS3, DD.5 (will not be on the trip)
Dates: Dec 3-10, 2010
Fantastic! You've been added to the official roster.

And hey, look at that. We both have 5 year old DDs and 3 year old DDs. How's that for coincidence?
Old 12-30-2009, 09:11 PM   #41
stopher1

Wall to wall creeps, and hot and cold running chills! Shh...listen
I have plenty of hill left to climb thank you very much

Location: Indiana + AKV, SSR, VGC & Aulani (wishing to be able to ADD VWL to the mix too)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvczerfs View Post
just some insight on what we did for the easter "parade". it was about 13 years ago we were down during the easter "parade" taping. we walked into the mk and seen the cameras set up and sat on the curb directly across from the camera that was set up in front of the movie theater on main street. after waiting on the curb from 8am till 2pm, production crews etc.. were setting up and of course you have to fight for your spot the entire time. finally, a girl came out, introducer herself and instructed us how to cheer. and yes, anyone with a coors light shirt or bigpeckers t shirt will not be sitting on the curb unless you turn your shirt inside out. the first "float" comes down and your instructed to yell like its the best thing you have ever scene in your life. than, they back up, and after waiting for 5-8 min. you do it again to that float. some items are taped three or four times. the 20 min. parade took 3 hours. its a production set, not a parade as you see on tv. yes, we made it on the easter day parade and we have it on vhs. you can see us about 3 times. they tape the parade a few times and chop scenes and sets out of each one and use the best shots.what you see as a big happy party, is a huge production set and it is staged.it was fun, but a little boring and plan on it consuming the entire day and as they told us, "if another day of taping is brighter and sunnier your likeness will not be used. this is a commercial for wdw and dl and people want to see sunny skis." they told us AFTER the "parade" was over.
Oh man Dave that is sooo true! I was in the Candlelight Processional at DL back in '88 when they taped it for airing on the Disney Channel that year. We had to do it over and over again. It was hysterical backing the mass choir up on Main Street in order to get that perfect shot! Then, do it again! We had a great time, but also a hard time. We were out there that day for something like 3 or 4 hours just doing that part for one number that made it to tv. The rest of what was aired was the Candlelight show itself. Talk about crazy.

I've also been at DL for various tapings of parades and such, and yes, just like at the MK, it's just a production piece that then gets blended together to appear as a parade later on for the viewing audience.

DISNEYLAND: Way too many to possibly count! I grew up 30 mins. from DL. Former CM. AP holder for 20 yrs. Premier Pass AP. All 3 DL Resorts and numerous off-site hotels.
WDW: 58 trips on & off-site, including DVC, Deluxe, Moderate & Value - in 18 different WDW resorts & numerous off-site resorts. AP holder for 5 yrs. Premier Pass AP holder.
AULANI: 1 so far. More to come though, & definitely looking forward to returning!
stopher1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 09:17 PM   #42
stopher1

Location: Indiana + AKV, SSR, VGC & Aulani (wishing to be able to ADD VWL to the mix too)

Ok, I do think I'm in. I'm pretty much planning my father/daughter trip for that time period... so put me on the list.

screen name: stopher1
Family: DW, DS13, DS10, DD5 (will not be on the trip)... but only DD5 will be with me
Dates: Dec 3-6 or 7, 2010
Location: Looking to be AKV (can't book it for another few days yet, but at 11 mos out won't be a problem)

DISNEYLAND: Way too many to possibly count! I grew up 30 mins. from DL. Former CM. AP holder for 20 yrs. Premier Pass AP. All 3 DL Resorts and numerous off-site hotels.
WDW: 58 trips on & off-site, including DVC, Deluxe, Moderate & Value - in 18 different WDW resorts & numerous off-site resorts. AP holder for 5 yrs. Premier Pass AP holder.
AULANI: 1 so far. More to come though, & definitely looking forward to returning!
Old 12-30-2009, 09:39 PM   #43
FreezinRafiki
DDC 322
Cold enough for ya?

Quote:
Originally Posted by stopher1 View Post
Ok, I do think I'm in. I'm pretty much planning my father/daughter trip for that time period... so put me on the list.

screen name: stopher1
Family: DW, DS13, DS10, DD5 (will not be on the trip)... but only DD5 will be with me
Dates: Dec 3-6 or 7, 2010
Location: Looking to be AKV (can't book it for another few days yet, but at 11 mos out won't be a problem)

You're on the list! And by my count, that will be at least 3 girls in the 5-6 year old age range. Lord help us all.

AKV is not my home resort, so I have to wait until 7 months out. Do you think it will be a problem getting a 2 bedroom at that time? I've done it a few times at Beach Club, but never tried it at AKV yet.
Old 12-30-2009, 10:08 PM   #44
stopher1

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreezinRafiki View Post
You're on the list! And by my count, that will be at least 3 girls in the 5-6 year old age range. Lord help us all.

AKV is not my home resort, so I have to wait until 7 months out. Do you think it will be a problem getting a 2 bedroom at that time? I've done it a few times at Beach Club, but never tried it at AKV yet.
I can't say for certain, but I really don't think so. Next to SSR & OKW it's the largest of the DVC bunch. Between both Jambo & Kidani I think you'll have a very good chance of getting it.

Yeah, my DD will be 6 by then, but still in that range!

Old 12-31-2009, 08:48 AM   #45
dvczerfs
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by stopher1 View Post
Oh man Dave that is sooo true! I was in the Candlelight Processional at DL back in '88 when they taped it for airing on the Disney Channel that year. We had to do it over and over again. It was hysterical backing the mass choir up on Main Street in order to get that perfect shot! Then, do it again! We had a great time, but also a hard time. We were out there that day for something like 3 or 4 hours just doing that part for one number that made it to tv. The rest of what was aired was the Candlelight show itself. Talk about crazy.

I've also been at DL for various tapings of parades and such, and yes, just like at the MK, it's just a production piece that then gets blended together to appear as a parade later on for the viewing audience.
it was one of those things that your glad you did it but most likely wouldnt do it again. glad to here you going to be down in december!!! i think thats about seven of us for sure so far!!
dvczerfs is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: