Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando Stroller rental questions and share tips.
Orlando Stroller Rentals is your #1 place to rent a high-end stroller to use during your family vaction to the Orlando area.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Families
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-09-2009, 08:54 AM   #1
RobPickles
Lurking Around

Taking a BABY to WDW!

So...

We have a new little baby girl. She will be 10 months old come our trip in July to WDW.

Does anyone have any parental advice/experiences that they would like to share with us about taking their baby with them on vacation to WDW?

We know things are going to be A LOT different with her and I was hoping to get some heads up on some good tips when taking a baby with you to "The Most Magical Place on Earth".

My wife has already started thinking Princess costumes and character dining! I can see it beginning already! LOL!

So please, any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Rob
RobPickles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 08:59 AM   #2
Disneypubgal
Disneyphile

We took my little girl for the first time when she was 8 months old... my best advice is to just go with the flow.... If she has a regular schedule for naps and meals try to stick to it... Make sure she has her comfort items for nap time whether it is a blanket or a stuffed animal....

My daughter kept to her nap time but feel asleep in the stroller and we did things that were quieter.... like shopping, time by the pool or having our meal while she was sleeping... Each child is different and you know yours better than anyone else! Have a great trip!
Disneypubgal is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-09-2009, 09:09 AM   #3
ilovediznee
Always planning our next trip home to Disney!!!

DVC Gold Member
Paid DVC Rent/Trade
Gold Membership

DD has been going since she was 6 months old - no problem!

We had no problems taking our DD - now 9 when she was little. We did bring our own stroller since we were all used to it but we used the pack and play in the room and brought our own sheets and some of her personal things that would make it feel more like home.

I agree with the person above - stick to nap times. Ashley always slept from 2 - 3:30 or 4pm so that is when one of us went back to the hotel with her and either watched TV or did some wash - we are DVC members. She did nap several days in the stroller but you could tell later in the day that they weren't great naps because she fussed a bunch.

Things I would defintely bring so you don't have to buy them there - very expensive: diapers, thermometer, any meds she can take including gas drops, toys from her crib so she is comfortable. Not sure what she is eating but if she is still eating any baby food I would bring that. Also remember that just like adults, children can get stomach issues when they travel and can get constipated so you might want to ask your MD what she can have if that happens.

Hope this helps. If you need anything else, just pm me. I've been 42 times - #43 is coming up in February and our DD has been there 12 times.

Good Luck!

Diane
ilovediznee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 09:46 AM   #4
RobPickles
Lurking Around

What about time in the parks? How do babies hold up in them?

We figured we would be spending a lot less time in them now. We were planning on taking her stroller and all her basic needs, formula, diapers, toys, clothes etc.

Thanks and keep the advice coming people! LOL!

Rob
RobPickles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 09:53 AM   #5
Chuck S
DVC Boards Co-Moderator

DISboards Moderator

I'm going to move this to the Families board, as it really isn't a DVC specific topic.

DVC Member at OKW since 1992
Chuck S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 10:01 AM   #6
RMulieri
DIS Veteran

It is very important to realize that this trip will be about her and her needs ...July is BRUTAL for heat and humidity for adults and kids .Infants and toddlers need EXTRA close attention. Do not forget to lather that 10 month old in sunscreen ( head to toe) I have seen some of the worst sunburns in my life on babies heads and feet.Talking blistering ,angry burns.They also can get dehydrated quick and will not tell you they are thirsty .So you need to make sure you are making them drink water and drink often.Stick to home routine as much as possible.Take your cues from her.If she is done for the day, she is done.
Old 12-09-2009, 10:19 AM   #7
aidtrismommy
DIS Veteran

I took my son when he was 5 months old in June. It was the hottest I have ever experienced at Disney and I have been going for many years. Invest in some kind of stroller shade to extend the one that is already on there. That is the one thing I would have done differently. I brought along stroller fans, but they were useless against the heat. Invest in a spritzer fan. I would forget the princess dress and such as it will be so hot that your daughter would probably do best in a really simple onesie. Take breaks in the baby care centers a couple times a day. She can crawl around in there and cool off. They are also a great place to change her, feed her, etc. Bringing babies to Disney is great and easier when they are little. My boys are toddlers ( well 1 and 3) now and it gets harder when they can walk. Enjoy it. Oh, they loved the parades too. Very stimulating. Enjoy.
2010 CBR*2011 BWV*2011 Disney Dream*2012 BCV
2013 OKW*2014 Disney Magic*2014 THV
aidtrismommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 10:36 AM   #8
BEASLYBOO
It's part of the charm
They go through some serious mayo there

One thing I can't stress enough, July is stifling hot not just a little hot! I see so many people walking around with babies in strollers for hours on end, it's hot in there, with little air circulation. Kids and adults can verbally express their discomfort but babies can only cry. When my son was a baby he hated the heat. Take frequent breaks, hang out at the pool, enjoy the resort facilities! Head out to the parks early and return to the resort by 11:30 noon and then head back out around 3:30-4pm when the sun's come down. When you feel over heated take haven in attractions like Country Bear Jamboree, it's air conditioned and you're in there for 15 minutes but remember to have a light baby blanket because it can get down right chilly when your already hot and bothered. If you stay during high heat treat yourselves to a nice leisurely lunch in an a/c restaurant. Take a change of clothing, dry fresh clothes to replace the sweaty ones, can make a baby feel so much better. I took a soft washcloth in a zip lock bag and wiped my son down to cool him offa few times a day.

It probably goes without saying, but don't forget sunscreen on those little legs and piggies that peak out from the stroller and re-apply often.

Have a great time!

February 15th -18th, 2014 - OKW-GV
BEASLYBOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 10:37 AM   #9
Disneypubgal
Disneyphile

I would make a short list of the must dos and try and hit them, anything else is a bonus!! With an infant you are kind of at there mercy... get to the parks early and stay for a couple hours, avoid the hottest part of the day in the parks... keep baby hydrated and shaded (hat and shade for stroller is a must!)

Our little girl is 4 and is going home for the 9th, 10th and 11th times next year... and each trip we are able to do more and more!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobPickles View Post
What about time in the parks? How do babies hold up in them?

We figured we would be spending a lot less time in them now. We were planning on taking her stroller and all her basic needs, formula, diapers, toys, clothes etc.

Thanks and keep the advice coming people! LOL!

Rob
Disneypubgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 11:12 AM   #10
crazybones27
DVC Member

My DH and I brought our daughter last December when she was about 8 months old. She was actually alot easier to handle there then we expected except for always wanting to be held, but she's just not a stroller kid.

My suggestions are if you are bottle feeding try the bottles with the throw away liners. They worked out great for us. All we had to worry about was the dirty nipples and you rinse off the bottle part if needed. They were definitely a life saver and gave us more room in our stroller/diaper bag. Make sure to bring plenty of formula with you into the parks. We spent most of the days in the parks and ate/scheduled our meals around our daughters nap times. I know people say to stick to the childs naptime and I also agree, but don't be surprised if you notice they start getting a little crankier earlier or want to be held a little more. With all the colors and action going on they can get a little overwhelmed and over stimulated. My daughter took like 3 or so naps a day just from all the excitement she was having.

I would pick up an infant carrier(like the baby bjorn types). This worked out great for us when we went on rides. It's a lot easier to wait in lines holding the child this way then in just your arms. Also start using it earlier then your trip so the baby gets use to it.

As someone said make sure to bring plenty of diapers, wipes, and food. If you do run out the baby care centers in the parks do carry things you might need, but you will PAY for them. Definitely utilize the baby care centers when you have a chance. It's a great place to feed, change, nurse, etc. I loved them cause they were nice and quiet when we needed that! Sometimes the bathrooms are just so full you can't move and these centers make it so much easier, but unfortunately there is only one in each park.

I'm not sure how you're traveling but we drove down last year and we brought an entire case of bottled water. We threw a few bottles in the stroller each day. What we weren't using for the baby we drank. This helped so we didn't have to buy so many drinks. The entire case lasted the whole trip down, the whole week, and the drive home. If you're not driving but renting a car when you get there maybe pick up a case on your way to the hotel. If you're using magical express you can always order from one of the online grocery stores and have stuff delivered to the hotel.

As other have said also definitely go at the childs pace. You'll have much more fun that way. Don't be surprised if you don't get half of what you wanted to done. Going at the childs pace is a lot slower then going without them, but at times it can be so much more relaxing and rewarding.

Another thing is if the baby is eating regular baby food by that time pick up the throw away spoons. It is a lot easier when needed to just throw the spoon away then having to worry about finding a spot for a dirty one.

Put extra clothes in a zip lock bag just in case the baby needs it. You never know if a diaper will leak or if they'll spit up on their clothes. This way you have a place to put the dirty clothes.

This is all I could think of right now. If I think of more I will post again. No matter what you'll have a great time! There's nothing like seeing Disney through the eyes of you child no matter what the age!
crazybones27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 11:20 AM   #11
kwitcherkicken99
Sleep keeps me pretty. CAFFEINE keeps me NICE!
This vicarious living is wonderful!
I'll take getting my feet up all the way

1. Take everything disposable! (diapers, bibs, sippy cups, spoons, changing pads)
2. sunscreen/hats
3. plan to take it slow
4. use a stroller AND a sling - kiddo will get tired of being in the stroller ALL DAY
5. refill diapers/wipes on midday break
6. use your own stroller
7. drive/rent a car - it's just easier
8. bring a bottle brush and bottle strainer to wash up
9. the animal trails at AK are a great place to let little walkers toddle around - low traffic and lots of room
10. use A- and B-ticket attractions for rest (trains, riverboat, etc) - fun, less crowded, sit down parts, and usually air conditioned

HTH!
kwitcherkicken99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 11:37 AM   #12
threedisprincesses
Mouseketeer

Us too!

We are taking our now 6mo old DD to WDW the first week of Feb. (She will be 8 mo then.) This is our third time going w/ kids. I am so excited to see her reaction to everything! It is so true about seeing WDW through the eyes of your childern. It is a different experience. So very wonderful!

There is such GREAT advice here (as usual). I was thinking about taking the carrier as well as the baby backpack. Any thoughts on these ideas?

I had one woman tell me she was able to get on many rides with the infant in the carrier. No her baby was much younger (2 mo). Which rides can you ride with the baby in a carrier? Obviously I am talking kidie rides here! No Space Mountain or Rocken Rollar Coaster!

It would be great to hear which rides infants have gone on & enjoyed...

The stroller will be the greatest thing for your baby. Good idea to bring along anything they are used to sleeping with. It would also be a good idea to schedule meal times around nap times. This way you will be in the AC so the baby can cool off.

We also get up early (parks at rope drop), go back to the room around 11, nap, pool..., then back to the parks around 5. This way you miss the most crowded & HOTTEST part of the day.

Have a great trip & just enjoy the baby. There is NO BETTER trip for families of any age.
Old 12-09-2009, 12:21 PM   #13
Shleedogg
DIS Veteran

Congrats on your baby girl!!

I also have a baby girl, she's 13 months right now. She's been to Disney 3 times. Once at 2 mos, 8 mos, and 12 mos.

At 10 mos, you're going to have a blast! On our trip in July (8 mos) DD loved all the characters, could ride almost everything. She also loved swimming.

I would recommend getting to the parks at rope drop to avoid waiting in too many lines. You can't anticipate diaper changes and you'd hate to have to leave to change a diaper or make her deal with it through the line and ride. It would be miserable.

Take a break around noon, miss the hottest part of the day and give her a real nap at the resort. At 2 mos, DD would nap in her stroller but was still crabby. We quickly found out that it's just too much stimulation. If she has quiet time at the hotel for a real nap, she's much more agreeable. We usually take 4 hr break for a nap and/or swim, then go back for dinner.

We did this schedule for the last 2 trips and it worked really well.

If your wife is nursing and doesn't like to nurse in public, or your DD is easily distracted, definitely check out the baby care centers in each park (1 in each). There is a nice quiet nursing room with rocking chairs in each. It definitely helped DD focus and get a full meal, or fall asleep so I could put her in her stroller.

The other thing is that you should get a baby carrier. I have a Moby Wrap and LOVE it! It's really inexpensive, around $35 and DD loves it. My DD will not sit in her stroller for very long, she wants to be held or crawl (which is not going to happen in the parks, lol). The Moby makes her feel like she's being held, but you have your hands free. It's really comfy, is one size (so both you and your wife could use it), no back pain, can hold DD in a variety of positions (cradled on chest, facing out, hip, back) and also your wife can nurse in it. It's also great for using around the house to get chores done. When my DD was little, she hated to be put down, this was the only way I could get things done. Might be a good Christmas gift . I swear I don't work for Moby I just really like it!

Have a great trip! It's such a fun age!!

Shleedogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 10:53 AM   #14
lizzyb
DIS Veteran

We are taking a our son who will be 9mths at the time down. I'm just planing on taking it easy and depending on how he does going to the resort for naps. He is still nursing so I dont need to worry about that. I am ordering with garden grocer for diapers and jarred foods so there is less I need to pack.
Oct. 23-28, 2007 Pop Century,July 12-19, 2008 Pop Century, Jan. 23-30, 2009 Pop Century, Jan.23-31,2010 POR, Aug. 28-Sept. 4, 2011 CSR, Aug.13-19, 2012 AoA, April 20-27, 2013 Disney Fantasy, Aug. 3-12, 2014 CR, April 25- May 2, 2015 Disney Fantasy

lizzyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 10:53 AM   #15
Gabe's Mom
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by threedisprincesses View Post
We are taking our now 6mo old DD to WDW the first week of Feb. (She will be 8 mo then.) This is our third time going w/ kids. I am so excited to see her reaction to everything! It is so true about seeing WDW through the eyes of your childern. It is a different experience. So very wonderful!

There is such GREAT advice here (as usual). I was thinking about taking the carrier as well as the baby backpack. Any thoughts on these ideas?

I had one woman tell me she was able to get on many rides with the infant in the carrier. No her baby was much younger (2 mo). Which rides can you ride with the baby in a carrier? Obviously I am talking kidie rides here! No Space Mountain or Rocken Rollar Coaster!

It would be great to hear which rides infants have gone on & enjoyed...

The stroller will be the greatest thing for your baby. Good idea to bring along anything they are used to sleeping with. It would also be a good idea to schedule meal times around nap times. This way you will be in the AC so the baby can cool off.

We also get up early (parks at rope drop), go back to the room around 11, nap, pool..., then back to the parks around 5. This way you miss the most crowded & HOTTEST part of the day.

Have a great trip & just enjoy the baby. There is NO BETTER trip for families of any age.
We just took our 3 boys Thanksgiving week. ages 10, 2, and 6 mos. This is the youngest we have taken any of our kids. We took our double stroller (baby jogger city mini double, yes, worth every penny), sling, and Beco baby carrier. DS 6 mos is big, 22 1/2 pounds. He rode in the stroller some but spent a lot of time in the carrier. It was so convenient to not have to mess with getting him in and out of the the stroller every time. Any ride he was allowed to ride it was ok for him to ride in the carrier- All of fantasy land, TTA, POC, Epcot- clam mobiles (forget what that's called?), Figment. DHS- TSMM. AK- safari, triceratops spin.

We took breaks back at the hotel for naps each day. The baby was really very good, the hard part was meal times. He's big but still just a 6 month old so not big enough to sit unassisted in the high chair so we just held him.
We fed him his cereal in the room before we left, easier than taking it with us, but he was just doign cereal once a day and no baby food yet then.

The baby centers are soooo nice! It is so much nicer to change them there than the regular restrooms. Not worth going across a park to get to one, but if you are near them anyway, they a restrooms for you to use too, high chairs, rocking chairs, TV area for your other little ones.
all in all, the baby was easier than the 2 yr old .
Michelle
Gabe's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
advice, babies, baby, vacation, wdw

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: