Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-08-2009, 06:24 AM   #1
DIS Veteran
kacaju's Avatar
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 3,775

How do you kick an alcoholic out of the house?

I will try to make this a short story. Bottom line is I have an alcoholic brother (40) who lives with my Mom. (Dad was a recovered alcoholic and passed away 5 years ago not from alcohol, he had cancer)

We did an intervention with this brother about 9 years ago. He stayed sober for a few years and then went back to drinking. Mom is an enabler, she does know it but has her own issues and does not follow through with her threats to him. Over the years she will call me once she gets mad at him, I get worked up only to have her say the next day... oh, he is doing better today... he promised he would...(fill in the blank for whatever he promised he would do)
Finally one day I told her I didn't want to hear it anymore... I cannot waste my time and energy if she refuses to do anything. This is a pattern that happens all the time.
I cannot control my brother and I will not get involved if she will not follow through.
Since then I stopped hearing about *their problems*

Well, she called me the other day. He is getting worse (surprise, surprise) only now she is really scared of him. He is verbally abusing her, he is intimidating. For the safety of my Mom my two other brothers and I have decided he needs to get out.

Here is where I need help, just how do we go about doing this? We (my brothers and I are going to get together tonight and talk about it).
We will get the locks changed, do we just tell him to leave? Do we give him time to take his stuff from
the house. He has crap all over Mom's townhouse, camping equipment in his room, tools in the basement. Do we have him come back another time to empty out his crap? We need to do some tough love, we are all aware of it. I just don't know where to begin? Can AA help us out with ideas?

Oh and once again Mom is saying he needs to get out. She plans on going to an Alon non meeting tonight. thanks for any help or ideas.
kacaju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 06:36 AM   #2
The Mystery Machine
DIS Veteran
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Missouri
Posts: 45,360

Your mother needs to call the police and formally kick him out.
The Mystery Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 12-08-2009, 06:44 AM   #3
I really do have to get a life!
Goes through peanuts like an elephant
s&k'smom's Avatar
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 5,693

May I also suggest that you may want to attend an Al-Anon meeting, they are for family and friends of alcoholics. Your life has been affected by someone else's drinking. I hope things work out for you, take care.
89 CB
90 CB/GF
91; 92 Poly
95; 97; 98 WL
2002 GF
2003 WL
2004 AKL
2007 GF
2012 GF
s&k'smom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 09:39 AM   #4
Reserving the right to make jokes out of typos - but NOT the people who make them - since 2012
kaytieeldr's Avatar
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: There is no Pixie Dust on the Transportation Board!!!
Posts: 36,578

Once he's out, you and your other brothers go pack up his stuff and get it out of your mother's house. Put it in storage, pay for the first month, tell him where it is and that he's responsible for paying the rental fee or the facility will sell off his belongings.
kaytieeldr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 10:08 AM   #5
DIS Veteran
If I ever have a garage sale the neighbors will think I have major wine and condiment addictions
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: middle of nowhere washington
Posts: 10,982

you need to find out if his behaviours meet the level that your mom can get a restraining order such that the police would assist in his removal. if it does'nt and he is the type that won't willingly leave if told to you need to look at what his 'status' is in the home to see what your legal options are.

by status-does he pay rent (a renter or boarder), or even if he does'nt actualy pay her is he supposedly obligated to (they agreed he'd pay x to stay there but he never has or it's sporadic). if he falls into either of these categories, and his behaviour is not something the police will remove him for immediatly, then you have to start looking at landlord/tenant laws where your mom lives for the eviction process.

as for his personal property it's going to depend on what his status is-former tenants have legal rights that you probably want to make yourself aware of (re. storage, chance to remove things from a place evicted from). if it's a restraining order issue then the local police could advise you on it.

for help-you might call your local social services and ask for the adult services division, they might be able to steer you in the right direction for your brother AND, if your mom is age 60 or older you might be able (for her protection) to make an elder abuse/endangerment complaint that would get her some assistance in the matter.
I've been BOO'ED!!!

The REAL Barkley

Wedding Groomsman - 1991
Disneyland - 1992
Maui - 1993

"King of the Closet, Guardian & Protector of Cookies Everywhre"

Does not Cruise due to C.D.P.P.
(Chronic Duck Pirate Phobia)
barkley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 10:20 AM   #6
happily single
Left foot first!
happily single's Avatar
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: North Kingstown, RI
Posts: 1,926

I agree that your mom needs to obtain a Restraining Order. In RI you need to show that you are in fear of bodily harm (which it seems she may be). Once the Restraining Order is in effect move this stuff into a storage unit, give him that information and change the house locks. Then don't answer the phone, etc. It's very difficult, trust me. But you have to do it for everyone's safety
happily single is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 10:21 AM   #7
DIS Veteran
LindaR's Avatar
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: New Mexico
Posts: 2,861

Please don't EVER think that one family member would never hurt another family member. This is a very bad situation in more ways than you may realize! I guarantee that if he has not been violent, this WILL send him over the edge.

To this day, my ex (alcoholic) does NOT remember this "incident." I filed for divorce and he did not respond within the timeframe stated by law. He received the paperwork (I was actually still living in the home, waiting for an apartment in the housing projects to come open cause it was his home before we got married) and found out that since he did not respond I got EVERYTHING that I asked for.

Our daughter was just a little over 1 year old. I was holding her in my arms. He threw a cast iron skillet at my head. Almost hit the baby.

Take EVERY legal step you can, even if you "think" it is not necessary!
LindaR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 11:15 AM   #8
DIS Veteran
kacaju's Avatar
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 3,775

thank you everyone so far for your advice. It really means a lot.

When my Mom moved into the townhouse it was agreed he could stay with her as long as he didn't drink. He is supposed to pay rent, but only does when he feels like it.

Yes, even though to our knowledge he has not physically hurt her I certainly do understand this could push him over the edge which is why I am trying to gather up all the info I need BEFORE we go ahead with this. Mom is over 60 so I will look into that too.
kacaju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 01:07 PM   #9
We'll remember when...
No time for green bananas
When the going gets tough, she gets the Palmolive!!
If I knew we were going to be graded here, I might try harder
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 34,887

Unfortunately, you and your brothers "can't" kick him out.. Your mom has to do it - because it's her home and she's the one he's living with..

She needs to call the police and file a complaint in regards to his threats. At the same time, she needs to make it perfectly clear to the authorities that she wants him (and his belongings) out of her home by "XYZ".. If she feels he's going to "act out" when he receives this news, she needs a restraining order as well.. Based on what you have said though, it sounds like she may change her mind again and you're right back to square one..

Bottom line is you and your brothers really don't have the authority to have him kicked out.. It's all up to your mom..

Good luck..
"Maturity begins when we're content to be right about something without finding it necessary to prove that someone else is wrong.." ~ Author Unknown

"I wrote your name in the sand,
but the waves washed it away.
I wrote your name in the sky,
but the wind blew it away.
So I wrote your name in my heart,
and that’s where it will stay.."

"We won't be sad, we'll be glad
for all the life we've had
and we'll remember when...."
C.Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 03:30 PM   #10
Sweet!!! Totally!!!!!
YAY for good weather!
It's that Disney Magic, I don't know how it works but it does!
pixiewings71's Avatar
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Suisun City CA
Posts: 22,310

Oh no, I'm sorry it's gotten to this point! Take your Mom to the PD and have her fill out the forms for the RO and file a report on his behavior. That will help. I'm here if you have questions, remember I had to do that with John.....
Kerri DBF DD18 DD14

We took 14 trips from July 07-July 08 and around 16 from Jan 09-Jan 10. We did 5 trips 2011-2012. 2012-2013 4 trips.

eBay and pins http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2213419
pixiewings71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 03:47 PM   #11
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: NW New Jersey
Posts: 166

Hugs to you and your family what you are going through.

Your mom needs to speak to the police and file a restraining order to get him out of the house. Is it possible your mom can stay with you for a few days or you stay with her when he is first out so she feels safe and so she does not let him back in.

Also, see if she is willing to speak to a therapist, preferably an addictions specialist who will be able to help her with her enabling problem. Al anon meetings are good too.

You and your family will be in my thoughts and prayers. I was married to an alcoholic for 12 years and it is a tough journey I do not wish upon my worst enemy!
marycaym is offline   Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How about pictures of alcoholic drinks? Disneyenthusiast Disney Restaurants 2140 11-15-2014 11:47 AM
From Kick'n It at Kidani to Play'n It at Pop adults only p62/63 last thoughts&request MEK Completed Trip Reports 970 01-24-2010 02:23 PM
Favorite alcoholic drinks DisneyHolidayFan Disney Restaurants 39 12-10-2009 09:01 PM
questions regarding alcohol mickeyshellbelle Disney Cruise Line Forum 11 12-02-2009 04:39 PM
Private alcohol? LandChildWorldAdult Disney Resorts 3 11-30-2009 06:22 PM

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:01 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.

You Rated this Thread: