Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland (California)
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-06-2009, 10:13 PM   #1
Lostgirlz
DIS Veteran

Would love opinions, and help please

Ok I am bad about procrastinating I don't deny that lol. I have got NOTHING done today for tues which is when I come to the Happiest place on earth. I still need to pack lol, but I was looking at the Christmas thread, and remembered there used to be some Dis members who ordered Christmas trees from Vaca Planning. Has anyone done this have any opinions on it, or pics? Is it worth it I was thinking about ordering one. I know I have waited till the last min with the holidays it's been chaos lol. I am also still trying to decide on whether to order a Winter Wonderland cake with a princess theme for the stay. What do you all think? Would you order one something to just bring in the holiday spirit. Help I feel like my mind went on vaca already, and I can't think lol. Thank you in advance
Lostgirlz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 02:31 AM   #2
Lostgirlz
DIS Veteran

Bumping this back up... Anyone any ideas, or opinions maybe? Thank you all again
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-07-2009, 03:16 AM   #3
aussietravellers
who LOVE disney holidays!

Location: Australia or Austria... they are the same place aren't they?

I have just ordered the Christmas Tree and the stocking. I organised it through Dream Makers to be in our room at GCH when we check in. I got their number from the Disneyland website, it's 714 7814438.

I haven't seen any pictures so can't help you with that, but I really wanted a tree in our room and as we are coming from Australia, carrying one in our luggage seemed ridiculous, however, after ordering and being told we can keep the tree, we are going to have to find room in our luggage to take it home But we may just take all of the decorations off it and leave the tree behind. Brad did go through everything that was on the tree but I am sorry, I don't remember. It is $187+tax and I think it's only 3 foot tall, but the decorations sounded great.
2008 - Walt Disney World - Animal Kingdom Lodge & Disneyland Paris - Hotel New York
2009 - Disneyland California - Grand Californian
2010 - Walt Disney World - Animal Kingdom Lodge + Beach Club + Yacht Club Resorts My 2010 Trip to NY and WDW Trip Report
2013 - We lived at Disneyland for 4 months! - Residence Inn Garden Grove, Grand Californian & Disneyland Hotel
aussietravellers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 08:29 AM   #4
LavenderPeach
Didn't understand how you could go sideways and not fall out
Don't tempt me with stuff like that!

I have no experience with ordering cakes or trees but it sounds like you're open to hearing random opinions so here it goes. I think a tree sounds like a great idea if you have extra money for something like that. It sounds like it would be a fun addition to a Diseny Christmas vacation and would make your room seem festive. If you don't plan on spending much time in your room then it might not be worth the cost though. Personally I don't think a cake would be worth it unless maybe it was for someone's birthday. There are so many other treats around at the holidays that a cake doesn't sound very interesting to me. Good luck making your decisions and have a great trip!
LavenderPeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 08:31 AM   #5
Eeee-va
Happiest robot on Earth

I'm so cheap (and/or lazy) that even though I'm driving and I have a small tree set up already in my house, and another small tree packed away (that I'd need to buy lights and ornaments for), I'm not bringing a tree. I just don't feel like taking the time to set it up, nor spending upwards of $10 to get decorations for one. aussietravellers has a great point about keeping the ornaments, though--if you WANT the ornaments, the Vacation Planning tree isn't as expensive. I don't and wouldn't be able to justify the expense.

What I AM planning to do to is bring some stockings and little Command hooks on whatever smooth/non-damageable surface I can find, and try to sneak them up while my roommates are sleeping. I'm just going to put little things in them (maybe a Happy Meal toy and whatever awesome cheap things Target has to offer ) but I think they will be cute and festive. I do have some garland I can bring, too, but I don't know if I'll bother with that. It's hanging up at my house right now and I don't feel any more Christmas-y because of it.
Eeee-va is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 09:33 AM   #6
Kittyskyfish
Wee little ears...

All I can say is pack something very warm for Tuesday night! The average temp will be in the low 40's.
Kittyskyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 09:51 AM   #7
goofycathy
we obviously have different taste huh?
Fantasyland makes me feel like a Princess

Location: ONLY 752 miles north of the happiest place on earth!!!

$187 for a three foot tree? I understand your on vacation but holy cow! I would drive a block or two down the street to Target, but a $15 three foot tree, decorations for another $20 a strand of lights for $5 and then go spend the other $147 on a nice dinner at DL...seems like ALOT of money for 3 feet of tree that you cant even take with you when you leave...at least if you only spend $40 you wont feel so bad about leaving it there when you check out...maybe im overly frugal but this seems excessive!!

Me & DH DS16 DS14 DD9

goofycathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 10:17 AM   #8
Sherry E
Willing victim of the Disney Snowball Effect...
Okay so after a coffee and lunch break I am back!

DISboards Moderator

If I am not mistaken - and check with Vacation Planning on this one to be sure - but I think that they will ship the tree back to your home for you after you are done with it. At least that is the case for the trees at WDW. I saw it on a Samantha Brown special. I am sure Disney takes it into consideration that many people want to keep the trees and it is just too cumbersome to stick in one's luggage without ruining it. Now, of course, shipping the little tree with ornaments intact for visitors who live outside of the U.S. would probably not be cheap, but as I recall, there is a special little tree-sized box that they use for just that reason. So I am sure DLR can do that as well if you want to keep it. I would probably do that if I ever got one of the trees and couldn't take it back with me. So look into that when you can.

As for the cost - well, yes, it costs a lot for that size tree, but the reality is that there must be something special about walking into your new hotel room and seeing a decorated tree waiting for you - with a stocking too, no less. I can see why people do this if they stay at one of the DLR hotels over the holidays. It wouldn't be the same thing to arrive in your hotel room, then have to schlep over to Target or wherever to get a tiny tree, then get decorations, then decorate the tree - all on valuable Disney park time. There would be something magical about it just being there when you walk in the room. I can see where that would be a really nice touch. If I were staying at one of the hotels during the holidays for several days and I had the extra money, I would do it. I would get a Disney tree.

Pumpkins, Peppermint, Pastels and...Club 33!!! - (A new chapter begins... Many photos and wacky tales, coming soon to a Trip Report thread near you!)
And for some non-holiday seaside fun in the sun ~~ 2012 Catalina Island/Avalon Trip Report - My Solo Day Trip, in Photos (LOTS of Photos!)- 7/21/12 & Highlights from 2013 & 2014
Sherry E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 12:03 PM   #9
pixiewings71
Sweet!!! Totally!!!!!
YAY for good weather!
It's that Disney Magic, I don't know how it works but it does!

I think a tree in the room would be fun!! I've never done it, we rarely stay on site, but I think it's a great idea!! When do you leave? I know you mentioned we will just miss each other but thought I'd ask.

We took 14 trips from July 07-July 08 and around 16 from Jan 09-Jan 10. We did 5 trips 2011-2012. 2012-2013 4 trips.

eBay and pins http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2213419
pixiewings71 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 12:15 PM   #10
Lostgirlz
DIS Veteran

Pixiewings I just saw your ticker, and I leave tomorrow for Disney, and I am there till next Tuesday the 15th, so we may be there in time to catch one another. Maybe catch a ride, or a lunch, or drinks. Thank you all for your advice. I may check vaca planners see if they are any different, and check price on shipping it back here to Hawaii. It would be worth it if they have it decorated with the nice ornaments you find in New Orleans Square, or in the holiday section of the shops. I know Disneystore here is kind of high this year on the princess ornaments that have the full dress. I don't think they were that bad priced in the park. I think it would give it a Christmas feel, also I am guessing it's artificial would be great if they could give it the (real) smell. The cake Yeah I am here, and there on it. In a way I want to get one cause we get one almost every trip, and they are awesome, and good priced, but then again there are a lot of treats from coffees for the holidays, to yule log cake, and gingerbread men. I also may just order some krispie treats mickey ones for the room since the Krispie treats, mickey shaped cookies, and choco tuxedo strawberries are all 2.50 each which is NOT bad price at all.
Old 12-07-2009, 04:01 PM   #11
pixiewings71
Sweet!!! Totally!!!!!
YAY for good weather!
It's that Disney Magic, I don't know how it works but it does!

Well we will be there at the same time!! We get in this Friday night and leave next Thursday afternoon so we should get together! I'll have my LGMH with me! I think I'll start a thread to see if anyone wants to meet up one day.

We took 14 trips from July 07-July 08 and around 16 from Jan 09-Jan 10. We did 5 trips 2011-2012. 2012-2013 4 trips.

eBay and pins http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2213419
pixiewings71 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 04:38 PM   #12
aussietravellers

Quote:
Originally Posted by goofycathy View Post
$187 for a three foot tree? I understand your on vacation but holy cow! I would drive a block or two down the street to Target, but a $15 three foot tree, decorations for another $20 a strand of lights for $5 and then go spend the other $147 on a nice dinner at DL...seems like ALOT of money for 3 feet of tree that you cant even take with you when you leave...at least if you only spend $40 you wont feel so bad about leaving it there when you check out...maybe im overly frugal but this seems excessive!!
Sorry that you are

It may seem excessive to you but it obviously is not excessive to everybody or they wouldn't have the trees available. We are at the hotel for two weeks, so felt it was good value, maybe if we were there for a few days it would be a waste, but we have two weeks to enjoy our tree (and the stocking) and then we will take the decorations home when we go, or maybe have the tree shipped home (which is a great idea).

It's a fully decorated tree and they read out all of the decorations that were on the tree and there are a lot of them, we don't have a car to travel to go to target so would have to pay for a taxi, along with the tree and decorations then have to go and decorate it after a long flight! For US the tree is worth it. We have decorations that will go on our tree at home for years to come to remember this trip by, we have the convenience of not having to treck around trying to find the tree and decorations and it is already decorated, hopefully creating a lovely surprise and an extra little bit of magic for my family when we arrive at our room.

That's why Disneyland is so wonderful, there is a huge range of choices for everybody and there is nothing wrong with wanting to spend the money on a tree from Disney, just as there is nothing wrong with not wanting to spend the money!
2008 - Walt Disney World - Animal Kingdom Lodge & Disneyland Paris - Hotel New York
2010 - Walt Disney World - Animal Kingdom Lodge + Beach Club + Yacht Club Resorts My 2010 Trip to NY and WDW Trip Report
2013 - We lived at Disneyland for 4 months! - Residence Inn Garden Grove, Grand Californian & Disneyland Hotel

Last edited by aussietravellers; 12-07-2009 at 05:55 PM.
Old 12-07-2009, 04:43 PM   #13
aussietravellers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherry E View Post
If I am not mistaken - and check with Vacation Planning on this one to be sure - but I think that they will ship the tree back to your home for you after you are done with it. At least that is the case for the trees at WDW. I saw it on a Samantha Brown special. I am sure Disney takes it into consideration that many people want to keep the trees and it is just too cumbersome to stick in one's luggage without ruining it. Now, of course, shipping the little tree with ornaments intact for visitors who live outside of the U.S. would probably not be cheap, but as I recall, there is a special little tree-sized box that they use for just that reason. So I am sure DLR can do that as well if you want to keep it. I would probably do that if I ever got one of the trees and couldn't take it back with me. So look into that when you can.

As for the cost - well, yes, it costs a lot for that size tree, but the reality is that there must be something special about walking into your new hotel room and seeing a decorated tree waiting for you - with a stocking too, no less. I can see why people do this if they stay at one of the DLR hotels over the holidays. It wouldn't be the same thing to arrive in your hotel room, then have to schlep over to Target or wherever to get a tiny tree, then get decorations, then decorate the tree - all on valuable Disney park time. There would be something magical about it just being there when you walk in the room. I can see where that would be a really nice touch. If I were staying at one of the hotels during the holidays for several days and I had the extra money, I would do it. I would get a Disney tree.
Oh wow, thanks so much for that info. I will contact vacation planning before we leave to see about having the whole tree shipped home when we leave. That is great to know.

Yes, I am really excited about the tree, from hearing about all the decorations on the phone when I ordered it and even if we don't keep the actual tree, we will put the decorations on our tree at home every year and it will be a little memory of our trip everytime we look at them.
Old 12-07-2009, 05:14 PM   #14
aussietravellers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lostgirlz View Post
Pixiewings I just saw your ticker, and I leave tomorrow for Disney, and I am there till next Tuesday the 15th, so we may be there in time to catch one another. Maybe catch a ride, or a lunch, or drinks. Thank you all for your advice. I may check vaca planners see if they are any different, and check price on shipping it back here to Hawaii. It would be worth it if they have it decorated with the nice ornaments you find in New Orleans Square, or in the holiday section of the shops. I know Disneystore here is kind of high this year on the princess ornaments that have the full dress. I don't think they were that bad priced in the park. I think it would give it a Christmas feel, also I am guessing it's artificial would be great if they could give it the (real) smell. The cake Yeah I am here, and there on it. In a way I want to get one cause we get one almost every trip, and they are awesome, and good priced, but then again there are a lot of treats from coffees for the holidays, to yule log cake, and gingerbread men. I also may just order some krispie treats mickey ones for the room since the Krispie treats, mickey shaped cookies, and choco tuxedo strawberries are all 2.50 each which is NOT bad price at all.
I think dream makers and vacation planning do similar things I just called dream makers because when I was looking on the disneyland website about different things for celebrations like decorating the room or gift baskets, they had to contact dream makers number and their phone number, but when I called vacation planning yesterday to make my reservations for fantasmic and the holiday tour etc, she also said she could organise things for in the room and she mentioned the tree, and the things she was describing were exactly the same so you can organise all of it through both obviously.

I might give them another call, the gingerbread men sound cute, can you have those delivered to the room?

Does anybody know if you can you call vacation planning whilst you are at Disneyland already if we get there and I have forgotten to order something?
Old 12-07-2009, 05:49 PM   #15
LavenderPeach
Didn't understand how you could go sideways and not fall out
Don't tempt me with stuff like that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixiewings71 View Post
Well we will be there at the same time!! We get in this Friday night and leave next Thursday afternoon so we should get together! I'll have my LGMH with me! I think I'll start a thread to see if anyone wants to meet up one day.
Hey, we might be there on Saturday! I wanted to go last weekend but decided against it with the CP going on so I told DH that we have to go this weekend. I'll keep an eye out for LGMHs!
LavenderPeach is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: