Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland (California)
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-08-2009, 11:32 PM   #31
DanT
First visit 1955, with many more to come!

if you drive to Fresno, from SLO, when you get to Fresno your freeway will be 99. 99 merges with I5 just before you start the climb up the Grapevine...the only other way on that side of the valley is to use 58 which goes east out of Bakersfield and over the Tehachapi mountains and then down into Mojave and on to Lancaster.....gets high up there and they get lots of snow when the Grapevine does....

you are not gaining anything by using that route....since you are already in SLO why not just go south on 101? No high mountain passes to climb...
and it has to be the shortest route from your geographical area....
Old 12-09-2009, 12:23 AM   #32
1 goofy family
Mouseketeer

Thanks, Dan. If I go further south on the 101, where do I cross over to get to Fresno? I'm looking at googlemaps and I'm sorta lost. These are the instructions I got from San Luis Obispo to Fresno:

San Luis Obispo, CA

1. Head northeast on Monterey St toward Toro St 0.8 mi
2. Take the ramp onto US-101 N 15.4 mi
3. Take exit 219 toward CA-41/Morro Rd 0.1 mi
4. Turn left at El Camino Real 0.1 mi
5. Take the 1st right onto Mercedes Ave 1.0 mi
6. Continue onto CA-41 N/Morro Rd
Continue to follow CA-41 N 22.4 mi
7. Turn right at CA-41 N/W Centre St 2.7 mi
8. Turn left at CA-41 N/E Centre St 112 ft
9. Take the 1st right onto CA-41 N/CA-46 E 6.5 mi
10. Turn left at CA-41 N 83.2 mi
11. Take the exit toward Tulare St 0.3 mi
12. Turn right at E Tulare Ave 0.2 mi
13. Turn left at N 1st St 0.3 mi
14. Turn right at E Washington Ave 23 ft

Fresno, CA
1 goofy family is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-09-2009, 03:56 PM   #33
SueTGGR
Disney visits as often as money will allow-donations accepted

I think the confusion is that you are only going from SLO to Fresno, yes?
If you are headed over to Fresno to drop down to Disneyland, you are going way out of your way and really don't need to mess with Grapevine at all.
You might want to clarify.
SueTGGR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 04:42 PM   #34
DirkLogan
Mouseketeer

I am in Bakersfield and we are going down this thursday night and coming back Sunday afternoon. The forcast looks like there will be no trouble. You would want to check Lebec, Frazier Park or Gorman weather also.

For us leaving bakersfield, it is 142 miles down the I-5. The best alternate route for us is the 58 to the 14 and then I-5 the rest of the trip. That route adds about 50 miles to the trip. For us, the coastal route is WAY longer. The 58 does sometimes close, but not as often as the grapevine does.
Old 12-10-2009, 10:40 PM   #35
1 goofy family
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SueTGGR View Post
I think the confusion is that you are only going from SLO to Fresno, yes?
If you are headed over to Fresno to drop down to Disneyland, you are going way out of your way and really don't need to mess with Grapevine at all.
You might want to clarify.
We are driving to Fresno from Disneyland. We are leaving mid-day and taking the scenic route along the coast, we will then spend the night in SLO and then head to Fresno the next morning.

Thanks for the help. I confused even myself with that last post, it's a good thing I'm not the one driving on this trip!
1 goofy family is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 05:42 AM   #36
Karlzmom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by iLUVdisneyLAND View Post
Hi Everyone,

1st post here...just wanted to thank everyone for their great info...I have been lurking here for a few weeks. My DH and I are taking our DD (2) to Disneyland this week. Thursday (10)- Sunday (13). We are driving down from the Bay Area.

For those of you who drive I-5 from the north, when do you decide if you are going to take an alt. route. It looks like the last time you have to cut over to 101S is around the 31 to Paso.

Several reports show light snow/rain mix at Lebec on Thursday. We are leaving the Bay Area around 6 am on Thursday.

Any thoughts/suggestions/previous experience would be great. I have only driven the Grapevine once, in July, when I took DD for her first time while DH was fishing in Alaska. So, I have zero experience with it during the winter months. I am from Oregon originally, so I totally get the snow driving thing...but it seems like I always hear about what a mess the grapevine is....

THANKS!!!
As a resident of Kern county -at the Valley end of the Grapevine, I will say that its not a bad drive IF its open. We already had it close once this week, and my family is canceling a trip to LA on Sat b/c I think its too risky with the line of storms we are dealing with. A co-worker got stuck having to back track and go out to Oxnard on the 101 and cut across at Santa Maria to get home on Monday...a drive that should have been less than 2 hours took 18 and included a night in a hotel.

If I was coming from the Bay area, I'd take the 101 in a heartbeat. It may seem like it is a longer drive, but there won't be any concern...that and I think its a nicer drive. I'm not a big fan of the 5.....99 I like, but 5 is too straight, not enough visual stimulation....
AKV 2012, 2013 & 2014 BWV 2013
Disney Wonder to Alaska 2014

KATIE Yes, I'm the Jeopardy! champ......
Karlzmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 09:52 AM   #37
disneegrl4eva
now we just need a secret handshake or sign...
...because I'm special like that

I live about 40 min. north of Fresno and I refuse to take the 5 any farther than I have to...Once I get in LA I take the 210E Pasadena Fwy to the 57S and its a straight run all the way to anaheim....shaves off about 10 min WITHOUT bumper to bumper traffic because of the carpool lane we can go in all the way once we hit the 57....
Old 12-12-2009, 09:45 PM   #38
blackjackdelta
Uncle had an "in" with Walt
I love those rainy days with the decreased crowds

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneegrl4eva View Post
I live about 40 min. north of Fresno and I refuse to take the 5 any farther than I have to...Once I get in LA I take the 210E Pasadena Fwy to the 57S and its a straight run all the way to anaheim....shaves off about 10 min WITHOUT bumper to bumper traffic because of the carpool lane we can go in all the way once we hit the 57....
Did you not have a fender bender a ways back up on the grapevine. I really do not care to take it but really have not found a better way. I have heard that the 210E was like playing bumper cars.

Jack
blackjackdelta is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: