Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-07-2009, 09:40 AM   #1
mistysue
DIS Veteran

Split stay details question

We are planning to go in August for 9 nights/10 days, during the time they offered free dining last year (so hoping that happens again!)

I was thinking of doing a split stay for a value and a mod.
How does this work with a KTTW card? Do we keep the same card for our tickets?

With the values now getting a QS dining plan and the mod getting a DDP, would we have all the credits up front? Or would we have the QS plan and those credits all expire the day we leave the value and then we have just the DDP credits?
Anybody know at all how that would work?
I was thinking it would be nice to get the extra snacks from the QS, but good to have a few TS meals too.
mistysue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 10:32 AM   #2
christinec68
Mouseketeer

If you decide to do a split stay, you will need to book 2 seperate vacation packages to get the meal plan. With each package you will have to buy at least one park day in order to get the dining plan.

You will get the credits for the QSDP when you check into the value resort and the credits for the DP when you check into the moderate resort. Any credits you have left over on the first portion of your stay will expire at midnight on check out day at the first resort. When you check in at the 2nd resort you will get your dining credits for that portion of the vacation. There will be that one day of overlap with the dining plans but you will not be able to save up credits from the first portion of your vacation to use past the first day of the second portion.

I *think* you can add park days to your first KTTW card for the entire vacation and save the one day pass needed for the second resort package. I am not sure about that.
christinec68 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-07-2009, 10:35 AM   #3
natcat117
Mouseketeer

On our last trip my sis and I stayed at a mod and then switched over to a value. We had the regular DDP and the credits started all over when we switched. We got a new KTTW card when we checked in again, and yes, our credits expired the night we checked out so for one day we had two KTTW cards with dining credits on them. I don't know about the tickets, though, but I'm guessing it would be the same as the dining. We used the military/companion tickets so our park tickets weren't on the card. Hope that helps.
Old 12-07-2009, 10:39 AM   #4
tzolkin
DIS Veteran

Yes, you have to book a split stay as two separate reservations.

To get dining you must book a package with at least a one-day park ticket.

So you would have to book your nights at the value with 10 day tickets. Then book your nights at the mod with 1 day tickets. When we did a split stay we had two cards during the second part of our stay (our first KTTW from the value with our tickets on them and our room key for the mod).
tzolkin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 11:36 AM   #5
mickeyluv'r
DIS Veteran

Be aware that if you are doing this (a split stay buying two sets of tickets), it isn't really cost effective- especially if your party size is large. If you have to buy a second set of tickets, then you are adding about $80 per person to the cost of your trip - unless - you do the second part of your stay as 'room only.'

The best way to do it would be to do that would be to stay only one night at the second resort. You would be able to use any dining credits you have through midnight of the night you check out under the package part of your stay. If you are only doing it for one day, then you would certainly be able to keep your out of pocket food expenses under $80 per person. You could use that extra day to dine at one of the places that isn't covered by DDP - like most of DTD.

When we added a split stay during free dining it was actually at the front end of our trip. I discovered that flying a day early saved us enough moeny to cover eh cost of a concierge room at AKL. The disadvantage was that our park tickets didn't start until our package started ( Though if you add night tot eh tail end of your stay, this isn't an issue. Adding extra days to the tail end of park tickets is usually only about $3 per person per day. Getting them before your packages starts is another matter).

The flip of our situation is that it 'forced' us to have a relaxing day at a beautiful resort at teh start of our trip. Much of our food and bverages were covered by the concierge lounge (plus a few small extras from the Mara Quick-Serve). We were able to really take advantage of the concierge lounge offerings- since you have to be at the resort to eat or drink in the lounge. Sine it was concierge, we also had a beautiful view of the animals from our room. The only other disadvantage if you will, was that in our case our room wasn't ready until about 3:20pm. Luckily we had swimsuits, but it would have been nice to have been able to change in our room.

To explain further, the cost of the first day of park tickets is much higher than the tail end. So one ten day ticket is much less than buying two five day tickets, or a nine day ticket and a one day ticket. The more days you buy, the more the price per day goes down. Once you are buying more than four days, the cost for days five and beyond is minimal. If you are staying for a week, adding a day to your tickets and hitting a park on your arrival day is just abotu the least expensive thing you can do for fun. It's cheaper than seeing a movie!

My only other tip - is that Disney may well offer a 'room only' discount for the dates you want. If that's the case, then doing a split stay for the second half of your trip with a discounted room-only price, may be cost effective, since the room discount will cover much or all of the cost of your food. It is mostl likely to be true if you pick the more expensive resort for the second half, and is especially likely if the nicer resort is a deluxe. Hope that makes sense.
mickeyluv'r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 01:14 PM   #6
mistysue
DIS Veteran

Ok, those answers are what I was afraid of Now I actually have to decide.
We are usually pretty happy wherever we are, but it's sort of up to fate if our trip goes well... I'm afraid of a bad stay at a value, but then again if I spend the aprox. $500 to upgrade I always going to wonder if I could have saved that money.

Makes me wish experiences at resorts were more consistent so I could just know if it was going to be wonderful or not.
mistysue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 10:18 PM   #7
LuvLuvLuv
DIS Veteran

split stays are much easier with annual passes.
Old 12-08-2009, 04:35 AM   #8
Sue M
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvLuvLuv View Post
split stays are much easier with annual passes.
yup! I have an AP and did a split stay with POR & WL. But we opted to just do room only at POR during our 4 night stay, and add the DDP to our 5 nights at WL. Didn't want to be tied down to ADRs the entire trip.

But that would be an option for OP, just do the DDP pkg at first resort and room only at second resort. The mod would be the best for DDP as you get the regular DDP. I don't think you save much with the QSP, it's more the convienence.
Aug 2003 WDW Marriott Courtyard, [B]Aug 2005 [/BSeaWorld, Universal, Busch Gardens Hilton Garden Inn, ]Aug 2007 WDW CBR, Jan 2008WDW WL, Aug 2008St. Pete Beach, Universal-HRH, Sea Workd & Aquatica- Hyatt Place & Doubletree, Jan 2009WDW AKL, Aug 2009Key West Sheraton Suites, Cocoa Beach Hampton Inn, & WDW POR/WL, Jan 2010WDW Poly, Jan 2011WDW POR, Aug 2011WDW POR/BC CL, Jan 2012WDW WL, Aug 2012AKL CL, Jan. 2013POFQ Aug. 2013 WDW Pop, GF, YC Jan 2014POR, Aug 2014 Universal Portofino Bay, & WDW GF,

Next trip January 2015 POR Riverside
Sue M is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: