Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-06-2009, 01:47 PM   #1
subtchr
DIS Veteran

Parade Taping in MK today

We were in the MK this morning (going back tonight for MVMCP), and although the parade taping was a bit of a hassle to get around when we arrived, it was kind of fun to see as well. We rode rides most of the morning, and when we walked near the teacups they were recruiting more guests to be part of the taping. We passed on that because we did not want to give up the several hours it would have taken.

But then when we were walking from Liberty Square to CP for lunch, the Jonas Brothers were performing, so we watched that a bit. They started on the stage in front of the castle, then ran to a stage set up on the hub, which was surrounded by the coached crowd members. I got some great pics, will post later when I have had a chance to upload them.

As we were leaving after lunch, they were finishing up the actual parade taping, and Kelly Ripa was standing on a platform in front of the train station handling her announcing duties.

We did not see Celine Dion at the Grand Floridian a couple days ago, so this was a nice little touch of celebrity.

Ft. Wilderness Campground '77, Offsite '81, '83, Dixie Landings '97, Shades of Green '00, DL/DCA Offsite '02, Contemporary '03, AKL '04, SoG/HRH '06, PPH, DL/DCA '06, ASMu 2/09, Beach Club 12/09, Numerous trips as a group tour guide (best job ever!), GC DL/DCA 6/12, UO/Royal Pacific 12/14

My June '06 trip report December 09 Beach Club trip report

subtchr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 06:23 PM   #2
serene56
DIS Veteran

i look forward to seeing your photos.

I dont know if I could give up the amount of time to see a parade taping.

watching it on christmas morning is enough magic for me.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-06-2009, 08:07 PM   #3
JDUCKY
Local Yocal

We didn't have tickets to the parade taping or the Jonas Bros. taping but we got to the MK about 9:15 and CMs were directing people toward the castle and saying it would be a 2hr commitment and many weren't taking them up on it. My daughter grabbed my hand and started running. She ended up about 5' from the stage at the hub and was *almost* able to touch the Jonas Brothers themselves. Needless to say she is one happy little girl!

As for me, well, I think I'm going to be on TV from the parade...dancing in the street in front of a float with Mickey and Minnie on it!

Disneyworld? Not so much anymore. FP- has ruined the experience for locals
Disneyland Paris - First trip (part of Honeymoon) - March 2012
Disneyland - 1st wedding anniversary - Dec 2012; Road Trip July 2013; Nov 2014!

Last edited by JDUCKY; 12-06-2009 at 08:18 PM.
JDUCKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 08:11 PM   #4
DebbieB
DVC Member BWV 99
You have to compare apples to apples

We were walking by Cosmic Rays this morning around 10:00 when a cm practically begged us to take a yellow bandana and join the crowd. Nothing about a 2 hour committment. We stayed until they came out and then left, we were on the edge near the Fantasyland walkway.
Old 12-06-2009, 08:17 PM   #5
JDUCKY
Local Yocal

Quote:
Originally Posted by DebbieB View Post
We were walking by Cosmic Rays this morning around 10:00 when a cm practically begged us to take a yellow bandana and join the crowd. Nothing about a 2 hour committment. We stayed until they came out and then left, we were on the edge near the Fantasyland walkway.
Toward the end of the Jonas Brothers taping, after the 3rd take, people were starting to leave and they needed more bodies to the right of the stage and toward the bridge to Tomorrowland. Probably when you were approached by the CM.

Disneyworld? Not so much anymore. FP- has ruined the experience for locals
Disneyland Paris - First trip (part of Honeymoon) - March 2012
Disneyland - 1st wedding anniversary - Dec 2012; Road Trip July 2013; Nov 2014!
JDUCKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 09:23 PM   #6
SrisonS
... and that's 'ess-ryzun-ess' (play on my name) ;)

I was in the middle of the Jonas Brothers chaos today. I'm at Disney often enough, so I didn't mind giving up a couple of hours to do something unique. And I don't know why everyone gets so crazy about having tickets to all the tapings. They're mainly only needed if you want to be guaranteed a GREAT spot. Other than that, you can make out pretty well by just showing up.

They say "commitment", but they're not gonna keep people there if they want to leave. I didn't have a ticket, and I was able to see pretty good.... even better after people left. (I got some great pics btw) I didn't watch the actual parade being taped though; because I had to meet up with other people. I was there for the whole taping last year.... with no ticket..... and I even made it on TV. Even better, I was in a great spot..... if you remember the Menudo performance, I was directly to the left of that.

So for future reference; I just say go early, and everything will turn out alright. It's a lot of just standing around though; so it's not as glamorous as people think.
SrisonS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 07:09 AM   #7
devores
Mouseketeer

The main thing to remember is that yes, if you just show up you can still get in on the action. BUT, you paid to get into the park (if not an AP holder) whereas those with tickets got in free. We were at almost all of the tapings (we lucked out) and had a camera in our faces several times for close ups and what nots. We saw Celine, were there for Nic's commentary (he was literaly 2 feet from us), were the back up dancers for the Jonas Brothers, and then watched most of the parade and got to meet Kelly (she did her commentary directly in front of us. We even met one of the new Disney kids, Logan somebody (his show airs in Jan on XD). So it was a great weekend.

The part that upset me was people who did have tickets were leaving. Disney asked that you commit 4 hours to the taping when they gave you the free ticket. These folks left when they realized what was involved. They thought they were getting a free day in the park for nothing. Its a television production, so yes it will take several tries and allot of waiting.

We stuck it out as this was what we planned on. I for one would not have done it if I paid to get into the park, but since we are locals, it was fun to see how it is all done.

Im just excited, with all of the cameras pointed at us, we are bound to be on TV at least once. Not our goal, but a nice perk.

BTW, a big hats off and round of applause to ALL of the CMs who worked this. They had a heck of a job trying to control those crowds. A big thank you to Sam (if shes on here) for the great attitude and conversation during the Jonas Brothers taping. Even though she had been up all night preping for it and still had to work the MVMCP that night, she was in great spirits and never lost her cool.
devores is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 07:05 PM   #8
subtchr
DIS Veteran

A few pics from the Jonas Brothers performance:

A very short video clip: Jonas Brothers

And Kelly Ripa announcing the parade:

Ft. Wilderness Campground '77, Offsite '81, '83, Dixie Landings '97, Shades of Green '00, DL/DCA Offsite '02, Contemporary '03, AKL '04, SoG/HRH '06, PPH, DL/DCA '06, ASMu 2/09, Beach Club 12/09, Numerous trips as a group tour guide (best job ever!), GC DL/DCA 6/12, UO/Royal Pacific 12/14

My June '06 trip report December 09 Beach Club trip report

subtchr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 12:55 PM   #9
momtobrynncess
DIS Veteran

A little different perspective of the parade taping

I can start by saying, never again will I even attempt MK on any of the days they do the taping. We didn't even plan to be a part of the taping or to try to watch it for that matter. We had BBB and CRT scheduled for the morning of the 6th, with the knowledge (or lack there of) that the taping would be taking place on Fri and Sat the 4th and 5th respectively. Well, Mother Nature being who she is, decided to rain out the events on both those days (or most of the events), forcing a lot of activities to happen on Sunday.

Stinks to be us, as we had planned to stay at MK after BBB and CRT, and due to the madness, we actually decided to leave early afternoon. The crowds were just too un-manageable in my opinion. The taping really ruined our last full day in the parks, as we were leaving the next morning.

Why people would stop dead in their tracks, and scream because Kelly Ripa was standing on Main Street is beyond me.
5/97 CR Tower-8/98 CR-10/99 GF-9/2000 CR-9/01 CR (got engaged!-9/02 CR/Married at Wedding Pavilion-9/03 CR-9/04 GF/CR-9/05 WL-1/06 CR-9/06 OKW-2/07 CR (got upgraded to Concierge!)-9/07 CR-9/08 Poly-11/2009 Poly-9/2010 Poly-8/11 Poly-8/2012 CSR-8/13 Poly
Me dh dd ddog

momtobrynncess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 05:59 AM   #10
Melrosgirl
Would win @ hide n seek ;-)
Doin' the tower was a piece of cake!
Let's all have lots of sunny thoughts to try to blow the rain away!!!

LOL just found this thread. I had no idea about the Parade taping. Sunday was our first day in the parks. We got there at 9 a.m. and were told about the taping. Lines were super short for the rides. Hard part was getting through the crowds near the Castle. Horrible. Heard the Jo Bros sing, but didn't see the actual performance. Later, on the bridge between Tomorrowland and the Castle (hub), we saw the Jonas Bros being interviewed near the castle. Camera zoom came in handy for that. DD seemed to not care though. I guess she is over them.

Parade taping really is a pain though.
Melrosgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 08:10 AM   #11
TyGuy
Mouseketeer

We were in MK on the 6th as well. I knew the taping was a possibility but decided to go anyway. We had breakfast at Chef Mickey's that morning so we arrived later then normal. We didn't watch any of the parade taping but followed the path back stage from Tony's to Tomorrowland. The crowds were a bit crazy that day but were managable. I think SP was a 30 min wait and Buzz Lightyear was maybe 45. We then jumped over to Splash mountian and the wait was only 15 minutes or so. The wait times did pick up after the taping was over but it wasn't too bad.

Nov 13 VWL, Oct 12 VWL, Nov 11 BLT, Dec 10 BWV and YC, Dec 09 BLT, Oct 08 YC, Dec 07 YC, Nov 06 (Jersey Week) YC, Nov 02 (Jersey Week) YC, Nov 00 (Work Conference) YC, June 00 CR, Jan 99 CR, Feb 98 YC, Oct 97 CR, Jan 96 DI, Jan 94 FW, Sep 87 FW, and a bunch before that I don’t remember the dates
TyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: