Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > W.I.S.H > Events/Competition
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-05-2009, 06:50 PM   #1
bunnyfoo
It's Monday and my mind was somewhere else
Never hopes to dream though

Winter running jacket recommendation

Hi everyone!

I'm going to potentially be training for a race at the end of March which means that I'll have to run in January and February. I figure I'll need a warmer jacket than what I have now which is a shell.

So what should I be looking for in a winter running jacket. I remember from last year that the temperatures went as low as -20 to -15C (or -4 to 5 F) on some days.

TIA

May 2002 - Wyndham (DTD)/May 2003 - CBR & AKL/ Dec 2003 - AKL/ Oct 2004 - AKL & Polynesian/Oct 2007 - AKL CL & Polynesian/May 2008 - POFQ/Jan 2009 - Poly CL/Oct 2009 - BC & CSR/Jan 2010 - Poly CL/Jan 2011 - Poly CL/Jan 2012 - Pop Century

bunnyfoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 08:10 PM   #2
jmasgat
DIS Veteran

Vicky The most I can wear is a wind shell over a LS tee, but, of course, "Your mileage may vary". I get warm when I run and end up soaking the shell. I bought a slightly warmer jacket at the same time and never wear it while running--way too warm. It was an REI shell--windproof with a very slight fleecy lining. Meant for winter activities (XC skiing).

Maura
jmasgat is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-05-2009, 08:21 PM   #3
timmac
DIS Veteran

Instead of a warmer jacket, consider adding a third middle layer. Bottom layer should be moisture wicking of some type, middle layer should be your insulation layer (think fleece here). Outer layer is your shell. Only in the very coldest of weather do I do all three layers.
timmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 08:54 PM   #4
FireDancer
DIS Veteran

I have both a thermal layer that I wear under a shell and a thicker running jacket. The thermal layer is pretty thick and is basically like a jacket.

My shell is Brooks as is my jacket and my thermal layer is Hind. I have found that unless it is windy I feel much cooler in just my thermal layer. The shell is great for blocking wind but while it does breath it doesn't as well as the jacket or shell. I haven't had to wear the shell since the Winter of 2007 and I run when it is pretty cold.

For me the most heat is lost through my head, hands, and feet. Get a good wicking running hat that covers the ears, gloves and some thicker non-cotton socks.

I have to admit I warm up pretty well so usually my core isn't too cold even in a Cleveland winter.
FireDancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 08:35 AM   #5
funwalker
DIS Veteran

Vicky,

I too wear layers-
I prefer jackets that do not completely block air out.
When it gets colder I still wear my Brook's Night(? reflective wear) Jacket, a turtleneck, and a tech material next to the skin. I always wear a wicking beanie, gloves, and warmer socks.

I sweat enough that my hair is filled with ice when I get home without the moisture wicking beanie! Now I need to find one with a brim, as it will keeps snow from hitting me in the face.

If the conditions are bad, sidewalks are icy, or snow covered, (stay out of the road!) and you cannot safely move fast enough to stay warm please use the DM or find an indoor track!

funwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 08:33 AM   #6
wtpclc
Has three great loves: Mickey, Pooh, & the Wings.
Occasionally has "bear of very little brain" moments

I dress in layers too. however, DH and I rarely go out in less than 20 degrees F. (Although, we've done 20 and high winds) That seems to be our cutoff for what we can take. So, add the layers, but be careful adn if you don't warm up in teh first ocuple miles, turn around. Probably best ot find an indoor alternative. not fun, but that's how it goes in winter trianing.

My First Marathon Report
wtpclc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 12:26 PM   #7
Cindylou
DIS Veteran

Vicky: I wear a fleece vest I bought at the LL Bean outlet. It worked well last winter, though I never went out when it was below zero.

Cindy

Cindylou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 12:58 PM   #8
cewait
DIS Veteran

Location: At the intersection of Ocoee, Winter Garden and Windermere... I hear 'WISHES thunder' every night at 10pm

Looks almost unanimous - layers under your shell.

Can't say enough about being able to peel a layer off or add a layer that you peeled off too early.

Other tips for cold w-i-n-d--y runs. If an out and back run start at the south end first heading into the teeth of the wind and return with the wind. Do it the opposite and you will have to face the cold biting wind with all your formerly downwind and now sweater layers feeling really cold.

You should feel cool to almost cold before you start to run. If you feel like you could stay out in the weather for a while you are over dressed at the start.

I do have a question about staying off the road. I just want to make sure you are saying stay off the road when the conditions are icy or snowy, not all the time; whcih I would tend to agree with. However, many of us run where sidewalks, if they exist, are not conducive to running (or walking). If you must go to the street, run/walk facing traffic never go in the same direction as traffic in the roadway. Not meaing to pick a fight just clarifying what I thought the statement said and adding a small runner safety message.
Endurance Coach
Running Disney since 99

I don't want easy - just possible

http://www.flickr.com/photos/cewait/
cewait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 03:15 PM   #9
rubato
DIS Veteran

It was 17degrees when I went for my run yesterday. I wore a long sleeved t and a shell. I froze for 2 miles, then my clothing was perfect, then, I started sweating bad and froze again. I'm going to have to do the moisture wicking bottom layer to keep this from happening again.

My bigger issue was the cold air going into my lungs. It burned for quite awhile. Not fun at all!
rubato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 10:48 AM   #10
fashionista311
DIS Veteran

i own this nike jacket
ttp://store.nike.com/index.jsp?cp=USNS_KW_0611081618&country=US&lang_lo cale=en_US&l=shop,search,searchList-Running%20Jacket#l=shop,pdp,ctr-inline/cid-1/pid-240323

but i still haven't been able to muster up the courage to run in anything below 40 degrees. i figure if i can't be outside longer than 5 minutes in my normal street clothes without being uncomfortable (boots, down jacket, sweater etc) how am i supposed to workout outdoors? i originally grew up in south florida though, so my tolerance for cold weather is pretty weak.
fashionista311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 02:23 PM   #11
bunnyfoo
It's Monday and my mind was somewhere else
Never hopes to dream though

Thanks for the recommendations everyone! I'll stick with my shell and just layer. We got a snap of super cold weather last week - with wind chill, it went down to -15C or so and being bundled up in my winter jacket and work clothes, I was still frozen. I will probably look into joining a gym so I can use their TM for those really cold days. I'm one of those people that never really gets hot while running but always has a hard time warming up.

Charles - My routes usually go around a big block in my neighbourhood. So I always try and go into the wind at the start - doesn't always work out though. The drivers in my neighbourhood are pretty good about letting runners on the road. I usually try to stay to the side or time my runs with the local running group. They'll go straight down the middle of the road.

May 2002 - Wyndham (DTD)/May 2003 - CBR & AKL/ Dec 2003 - AKL/ Oct 2004 - AKL & Polynesian/Oct 2007 - AKL CL & Polynesian/May 2008 - POFQ/Jan 2009 - Poly CL/Oct 2009 - BC & CSR/Jan 2010 - Poly CL/Jan 2011 - Poly CL/Jan 2012 - Pop Century

bunnyfoo is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: