Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-02-2009, 12:30 AM   #1
Eeee-va
Happiest robot on Earth

Eeee-va's Super-Historic Christmas Season Trip! Completed 10/10/12

Dear DISboards,

Please note, this report is from December 2009, so at this point is is more interesting for historic reasons than trip-planning reasons. Some of the later parts may be mildly interesting for planning if rain is forecast for your trip.

Apologetically,
Eeee-va

INDEX:
Cast of characters - this post
Part I - 12/9/09 - Blythe, Wait Board, Tiana's Showboat, Mark Twain
Part II - 12/9/09 - Cool Hat Story, Indy, Birthday Song, Honey I Shrunk the Audience, Bengal Barbecue, Snow on the Rivers of America, Tigger Tail
Part III - 12/9/09 - Fantasmic! Hojo! Oh, Murphy! Sparkles!
Part IV - 12/10/09 - May's Adventures! (Winged Unicorn, Princess and the Frog Meet and Greet, other childish stuff )
Part V - 12/10/09 - Exploring previously uncharted parts of DCA and a delicious salad!
Part VI - Mom's here! (Tiana's Showboat Jubilee, Cafe Orleans, Baked Goods, Indy's Secret Garage)
Part VII - 12/11/09 - As Magic a Morning as cheap AP-holders are gonna get... (Fantasyland and Toontown)
Part VII (b)- 12/11/09 - COOKIES! Main Street and DCA (lunch and a show...)
Part VII (c)- 12/11/09 - Here comes the rain (another secret; Downtown Disney)
Part VIII - 12/12/09 - When Innoventions is busy, you know it's raining (Rain, Complaining, House of Tomorrow)
Part IX - 12/12/09 - Ghost Town and Time Machine (Old DCA in the rain at night)
Part X - Interlude - Thoughts on Rain (no pictures; slight silliness)

For those of you keeping score:
12/9/09: (2:30 PM - 11 PM)
Rides: 10
Shows: 3
Attractions: 1
Meal: 1
Snack: 1

12/10/09: (9:00 AM - 9:50 PM)
Rides: 13 (plus 2 for Miss D)
Shows: 1
Attractions: 2
Meal: 2

12/11/09: (8:00 AM - 10:18 PM)
Rides: 12
Shows: 2
Sorry excuse for a show (castle lights): 1
Attractions: 5
Meal: 2
Snacktivity: 1

Dear DISboards,

I know I haven't finished my last trip report, but I'm going to Disneyland again real soon and I'm super-excited. I hope you don't mind if I start a PTR?

My friend and I bought APs at the end of our trip in June so that we could do a Christmas trip. We're driving over on 12/9! Judging from this thread it sure looks like all of DISboards is going too, doesn't it? Do you think I'll see anyone there?

The weather forecast keeps hovering between cloudy and rain throughout the whole trip, with highs in the 60s...being from Arizona, I think that's awful cold. But I like to wear warm clothes, I'm still impressed by water falling from the sky (and lower crowds) and we're going to have a super-fun time whatever happens!

We're totally NOT going to use Ridemax--we know what gets busy early and last time we spent all our time trying to ride rides and stuff, which wasn't very cool.

I think if I revealed names my trip buddies would be super-mad, but here we are. We all went in June 2009 too!

Eeee-va: That's me! I'm well into adulthood (maybe not mentally). I love things that sparkle but don't wear jewelry. My favorite ride is probably Space Mountain. The music is super-cool! Either that, or Pirates of the Caribbean. Pirates definitely has the best wait-to-ride ratio of awesome rides. I miss the Peoplemover, though. I hate drops so I'm terrified to go on Tower of Terror. My number one thing to do this trip is actually to see Tiana's show, and maybe even get up the courage to meet her! (I am shy around strangers and characters both, and I haven't even seen her movie... ) Second biggest goal is to finally see Murphy in Fantasmic!

Miss D: That's my friend from college, who lives about 90 minutes away and is a week older than me. Her favorite color is purple. From how often she rides it, I think Indiana Jones may be her favorite ride, but I've never asked. (EDIT (can you edit a letter?)--I just asked her and she said "I don't know." ) I know she wants to see the same entertainment I want to see, but the one thing she'd mentioned to me that she wanted to do was the Aladdin show, which is super-cool! She's a real picky eater so I don't know if we'll eat at any sit-down restaurants...

Mom: She's totally not a frog and she's totally not a boy, but she likes the Muppets and used to be a reporter. She used to take my brother and I to Disneyland every Spring Break back in the 1990s, which was super-fun! We used to go to the parks from opening to closing, even when the parks were open late. I don't know how we did it, but I remember my feet hurting a lot more than they do when I go now! The humidity really gets to Mom--last time she spent a lot of time in the room --and Miss D and I really like to go quick in the parks, so it might be a challenge...I'm hoping that if she takes ART to the parks each day that will help her some?

We'll be staying at HoJo, which didn't wow me last time, but the prices were so cheap! We're not bothering with the Entertainment rate because the AP rate I booked is just a few dollars a night more and I'm still irked at Entertainment for messing up my order and being so mean to me last time. (Though to their credit, I got my refund for the books I mailed back to them, and it only took like 6 emails and about that many weeks...)

I still need to buy some warmer clothes and make a new LGMH since my last one got lost at the end of the trip. And I'm working on something Tiana-related, but I don't know...

Anyway, DISboards, I know this was a long letter but I'm just so excited! There will be so many things to do and the park will be so pretty! I wonder what kind of fabulous Christmas food I should eat? Write back soon.

With deepest esteem,
Your friend,
Eeee-va

Last edited by Eeee-va; 10-11-2012 at 01:18 AM.
Eeee-va is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 01:12 AM   #2
deejdigsdis
I <3 Aglets

Have fun! I am missing that Christmas-y atmosphere on Main Street so much!
deejdigsdis is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-02-2009, 09:02 PM   #3
Eeee-va
Happiest robot on Earth

Dear Deejdigsdis,

Thank you for your kind words! Hopefully I'll have some pictures to help you live vicariously...in a week or two!

Dear DISboards,

Just one week before I get to go to Disneyland! Or the Disneyland Resort if you want to be all proper. Today I went to Ross and bought two pairs of pants. (In the fitting room area were some kids who were super-loud! It was really weird.) They actually had a couple Princess Tiana journals too--I thought Ross was mostly close-outs? I didn't see any typos on them or anything. I was tempted but decided not to, even though I'm already more or less in love with that movie (Tiana appears to be a wonderful character and I love the 1920s!). Anyway, now I have pants for every day of my trip, which will probably come in handy. I also got my hair cut, which I try to do at least annually. I was a few months behind that goal. I think it looks much nicer now...

The current weather forecast is a shower on Thursday, and rain on Friday and Saturday. But as long as I can see Tiana's show and Fantasmic, I'll personally be happy! I think we should TRY to see both of those things on Wednesday, but we'll see.

I hope you are doing well, DISboards! If you could only do one thing at Disneyland--er, the Disneyland Resort--what would you do?

With deepest affection,
Eeee-va

Last edited by Eeee-va; 12-18-2009 at 01:20 AM.
Old 12-06-2009, 07:40 PM   #4
Eeee-va
Happiest robot on Earth

Dear DISboards,

I'm just a few days away from visiting Disneyland! I'm so excited!

I have a doll who's super-excited to meet Princess Tiana. I even made her a dress. She's 9 years old so she is allowed to dress up at Disneyland. I worked on it Friday after work and then for 2 hours on Saturday, and I only used fabric and trims and stuff that I already had. Not bad, huh?

I keep forgetting to get my LGMH! I'd better hurry and pick some up!

How are you?

Love,
Eeee-va
Old 12-07-2009, 10:26 PM   #5
Eeee-va
Happiest robot on Earth

Dear DISboards,

Can you believe I forgot to get my LGMH AGAIN???????????? I hate packing; don't you? It's a good thing we're not flying. At least I can bring everything I can cram into my largest suitcase.

Love,
Eeee-va
Old 12-07-2009, 10:45 PM   #6
deejdigsdis
I <3 Aglets

Great job on the dress! Tiana will be impressed, I'm sure.
deejdigsdis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 12:12 AM   #7
hurleysweety
DISPrincess in Training
Makes a mean Monte Cristo

Love your report so far! Have sooo much fun!

The Tiana doll looks wonderful, by the way! Great talent.
Past Trips: WDW: Feb 1997 BWI, June 2008 *Honeymoon!*, May 2010 OKW & POR *2-year anniversary*, May 2011 OKW/BWV *3-year anniversary*, October 2011 VWL & POP DLR: 1994, Thanksgiving 2003 Portofino Suites, Oct. 2004, Oct. 2005, Nov. 2006 Carousel Inn, May 2007 Fairfield Inn, May 2009 DH Bday Trip Marriott Suites Anaheim, May 2009 *1-year anniversary*, GCH Suite, June 2009 Worldmark, Sept 2009 PPH, December 2009 Holiday Inn Anaheim Resort, April 2010 Holiday Inn Anaheim Resort, January 2011 Staybridge, September 2011 Red Lion, June 2012 Hilton Anaheim *4-year anniversary (celebrated late), Oct 2012 Ayres Anaheim, May 2013 GCH *5-year anniversary*, Sept 2013 Red Lion, Nov 2013 (1 Day Trip) Red Lion, Dec 2013 *Club 33* Castle Inn DCL:October 2013 - HalloWonder (Halloween) Cruise - Wonder 7 Night Bahamas from Galveston
hurleysweety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 08:12 PM   #8
Eeee-va
Happiest robot on Earth

Dear deejdigsdis and hurleysweety,

THANK YOU!

Dear DISboards,

The countdown is on; we leave sometime tomorrow! I still need to talk things over with my travel buddy Miss D, but that's fun. She'll be arriving in about 90 minutes from now.

I'm virtually packed (although as my dad noted, "virtual" technically means "not"--think of offers where something "virtually pays for itself," for instance! ).

I still have do wash the sheets for the futon and some towels, and cleaning a bit more here would be helpful, but yeah, no. I didn't buy a tree for the room after another friend said it was silly --well, and I'm lazy . But I did buy a tiny Nativity set, even though it wasn't easy to find, LOL. I checked Home Depot (where I was picking up my LGMH ) and didn't see a single one. I checked Big Lots and they did have a $5 town (?) set that included a Nativity, but it the Nativity so homely that I think even Dollar Tree would flush to put it up. So I finally went to the 99(.99) Cent Only store next-door...yes, I DID buy a 99 cent Nativity sculpture; oh dear. I did look them over and found one that I thought was fairly good looking. It was a little weird; they all had the same Mary and all appeared to have the same baby Jesus, but they had two different adult male figures. Half were bare-headed with short beards (and looked more like Joseph for me) and others had an older-looking man who seemed to me like a cross between a shepherd and a wise man. Interesting!

Anyway, I'd better buckle down and get to work, but instead I'm watching the Charlie Brown Christmas special. I hope you are having fun tonight!

With deepest affection,
Eeee-va
Old 12-09-2009, 12:31 AM   #9
Eeee-va
Happiest robot on Earth

Dear DISboards,

We're leaving in just a few hours! (Well, like 9, but still.) I'm so excited! Miss D is here and seemed OK with most of my plans, which include:

*Try to do as much outdoor entertainment as possible on Wednesday afternoon/evening, as we don't know how the weather will be on the days that follow
*See Fantasmic Wednesday night, if possible, instead of later (since Fantasmic is a higher priority than fireworks for both of us! and my mom isn't interested anyway, or at least not interested enough to wait for it in the cold/on the pavement)
*Try to do as many rides/etc. until maybe 11 AM, and then take things more leisurely
*Strongly consider spending "all day" at the parks on Friday and leave sometime after dark, as if it were a day when the parks close early (the reasoning being that locals are more likely to come after work, which means that the evenings might not be any less crowded than the afternoons, plus early on she had wanted to spend the whole day at DLR on the days when the park "closed early," which turns out to be none of them ) Of course, IF we don't manage to see Fantasmic on Wednesday or Thursday that may not be an option...oh, Eeee-va, shut your mouth!
*Go visit the GCH lobby
*Maybe eat at a sit-down restaurant (as my mom likes those very much)
*Maybe eat breakfast in the park one day (as I haven't done that in years, unless you count some fairly bad fritters in NOS back in June )
*Mini-Meet in front of the castle on Saturday

Whew! Do you think we will get that all done?

Love,
Eeee-va

Last edited by Eeee-va; 12-10-2009 at 02:14 AM.
Old 12-10-2009, 02:13 AM   #10
Eeee-va
Happiest robot on Earth

Dear DISboards,

I put some info at http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2348094 as well.

Love,
Eeee-va
Old 12-17-2009, 01:28 AM   #11
Eeee-va
Happiest robot on Earth

Dear DISboards,

I am totally going to start my real trip report soon, honest.

Love,
Eeee-va
Old 12-17-2009, 11:02 PM   #12
Eeee-va
Happiest robot on Earth

Part 1 - Eeee-va's Super-Fun Christmas Season Trip Report

Dear DISboards,

I'm finally starting my trip report! I'm going to have to limit my letters because if I put too many pictures in a letter, it will be expensive to mail.

I checked the weather reports again and again and they all said Wednesday, 12/9, would be clear, with rain likely from Thursday through Sunday! So I definitely wanted to get there early if possible and try to get the things that can be rained out, done.

Miss D and I planned to leave home no earlier than 8 (as that's when we'd be at work anyway). We left about 8:30, so yes, we managed! We were famished (and I think the car was, too) when we reached Blythe, so we stopped at Jack in the Box for breakfast/lunch. It was before 10:30 California time, so it was basically breakfast time for them...it was kind of lunchtime for us, but I was hungry for breakfast, so...

No, it didn't come half-eaten. I liked the half-eaten picture, though.

We got to Hojo about 2 PM...our room wasn't ready yet, and they suggested we check all of our things, so we basically did. (We left two cases of water and my mom's Pepsi One in the car.) That took a while, but we still made it into the parks about 2:30 PM. We dropped our things off at the locker--it was in the 60s but with the sun out, it was too hot for a sweatshirt and/or trenchcoat.

The last time I went to Disneyland was June, and my jaw dropped now to see the wait times at 2:30 in the afternoon! 20 minutes for major rides!

I was THRILLED, figuring that Thursday was likely to be more of the same.

So first we got Fastpasses for Indy, and then we did Tarzan's Treehouse, since I'd wanted to go through last time but it wasn't open at night when Ridemax told us to.

People were already queuing for Tiana's Showboat Jubilee. (About 2:33 PM)

We moseyed on over that way too. I thought the little Cinderella on Tom Sawyer's Island was too funny.

Then we decided to wait for the 2:45 PM Tiana's Showboat Jubilee, since we were in the area and it was one of my top priorities.

The Tiana parade just runs right through so quick! (about 2:47 PM)

But once they get on the boat it was a bit longer and a lot easier to photograph. (about 2:56 PM)

I thought Prince Naveen was very cute with his ukulele. It's probably a good thing that I hadn't seen the movie when we went to Disneyland, because I now have a bit of a crush on him and I would've been horrifically shy, LOL.

Big Thunder Mountain Railroad is another of those things we did not want to ride in the rain, so we did it too. (about 3:11 PM)

Then we went on the Mark Twain since we hadn't done that in June (about 3:23 PM). Miss D's keen eyes spotted this in the blocked off top level of the boat.

I got a kick out of seeing Space Mountain from the Rivers of America.

Though this was my favorite spot on the ship that day--the machinery radiated warmth!

And I think this envelope is going to burst if I keep putting in pictures. I'll write again soon!

Love,
Eeee-va

Last edited by Eeee-va; 04-28-2010 at 01:29 AM. Reason: Adding in specific times; whoo!
Old 12-18-2009, 12:24 AM   #13
kaoden39
Prayers and pixie dust from your friends on the DIS
Hugs
I have been flipping all around the internet

Eeee-va,

First off, I love your name. Wall-E is one of my favorite movies and certainly a wonderful love story. I hadn't been in the trip report section for a while so I missed the first part of the trip report. I am really enjoying it, and the dress you made for your doll is beautiful.
kaoden39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 08:41 AM   #14
tksbaskets
DIS Veteran

OK, I'm officially hooked and waiting for another newsy letter!!
tksbaskets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 12:27 PM   #15
Eeee-va
Happiest robot on Earth

Dear Kaoden39,

Thank you! I love WALL-E too (though I love them both, I am even more partial to EVE ). Yes, it's an awesome love story; one of my favorites! I think it's the best robot love story ever made. I didn't get a picture sadly, but I'll have a super-cute text update for you near the start of my next part of the report. Thank you for the kind words about the dress too!

Dear tksbaskets,

Thank you! I will try to update again tonight. If I'm super-lucky I might even get through Wednesday, but then, maybe not.

Love,
Eeee-va

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: