Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-18-2012, 12:39 PM   #691
deejdigsdis
I <3 Aglets

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaoden39 View Post
Thank you. That's what I thought. I shall keep that in mind. I love the fact that they visited with each other. I hope that Scotty will participate.
In which branch did/does your husband serve? I forgot to mention that it was especially emotional this time. I always get a little misty-eyed, but this time even more so...just thinking of my dad who served in the army during the Korean War...and thinking of his health issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherry E View Post
Not only am I surprised that you didn't see the creepy little guy in your own photos, but you've seen Bret's New Orleans Square photos and my NOS photos and however many other people's photos, and I am pretty sure we all have taken 'creepy wreath guy' photos and posted them in our TR's at one point or another! You just missed the creepy guy in everyone's pictures! He must have freaked you out so much that you just blocked him from your vision and memory!
I know! I've seen so many NOS pictures. I honestly don't know how any of the Creepy Wreath Guys escaped my eye!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CB Jamboree View Post
Hi Sis, it looks like Sherry and Michele are our kind of girls liking I Love Lucy and Dick Van Dyke! I remember back when we were in high school we would watch those shows on Nick at Nite. I'm sure that other girls our age were watching Melrose Place and Beverly Hills 90210 If we only had FOX back then!
I am so glad you introduced me to the flag retreat ceremony. I just love it. It is so touching, I have yet to get through it with a dry eye. Thank goodness for sunglasses!
The tree in TS is so huge!! Do you have any idea how tall it is?
LOL about the other girls watching Melrose Place and 90210! Remember (nearly 18 years ago!) when we used to watch I Love Lucy every night at 9:00 and you would get upset with J for calling me right as we were sitting down to watch? If only we could have paused TV back then...

I recently read how tall the tree was and I just can't remember at the moment. I have a picture of the tree as the wallpaper on my phone. I just can't bring myself to change it out even though Christmas is over.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tksbaskets View Post
Hi Deej,
Just back from DL and adjusting to the time zone change. Love your updates. My DH wanted me to tell "the DIS friend" that we loved the dinner at Big Thunder Ranch!

TK

TK, I can't believe your trip is long over and I'm still plugging away at this nearly-2-months-old TR! I'm so glad you enjoyed the BBQ. I was sure your family would like it. Thinking about that meal always makes me hungry. When are you starting your TR?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DharmaLou View Post
thank you so much for your posts! We will be at DL and DCA for 3 days between 11/16-11/21 and your photos have really gotten me excited! I have been to DL and to WDW when they've been decorated for the holidays, but this time I will have my daughter with me for the first time. I can't wait!
Hi! Thanks for commenting! When we took our kids for the first time 2 years ago our dates were 11/16 - 11/20. It was a dream as far as low crowds go. It was my first time back after 13 years. I had only gone during the summer growing up and was used to high crowds and pre-Fast Pass days. To finally return again in November 2009 was so wonderful. We couldn't have been happier with the short lines. (That trip is in the first few pages of this 6 Trip TR.) I hope you have a magical time with your daughter.

Well everyone...I had a dream last night. My sister CB Jamboree and I decided to meet in DL and stay for the full 24 hours during Leap Day. My husband wanted to come along, but made me promise that it was OK for him to spend 24 hours alone at the hotel while we were in DL. I said, "It's a deal." We had gotten a good rate at HOJO. When we checked in we realized why it was such a good rate. They made us share a room with another family. I left my husband to enjoy the room with strangers and made my way to DL to meet up with my sister. I couldn't find her and ended up wandering around the park looking for her, wasting all our time. 24 hours of wandering and searching for her and nothing else! Then I woke up. Dreams are strange. Anyway, it put me in the mood to settle down and update. I'm gonna go upload some more pics and come right back.

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2342117
deejdigsdis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 01:22 PM   #692
deejdigsdis
I <3 Aglets

Tuesday November 22, 2011 -- Continued

First things first... a shout-out to my sister...Broken Wings is playing right now.

OK, where was I...

We had just finished up with kind of watching the parade. "Kind of" because we just stayed parked on our Town Square bench after the Flag Retreat and enjoyed what little view of the parade we could get from there.

We waited for the crowds to clear a bit. We had some time (maybe 30 minutes?) to do a little Christmas shopping for the boys before the 6:30 snowfall. We secured a few Phineas and Ferb-related purchases, and a couple of other things. I took the stuff back to our locker and then we found a place on Main Street to watch the snow.

No post-worthy pictures of that, unfortunately.

Dinner time. I really had a hankering for some French Onion soup from Cafe Orleans while we were sitting on our bench between the flag ceremony and the parade. We decided to call Disney Dining and try to get a reservation for later that night. (I know...crazy. It couldn't hurt to try, though. I've made several reservations an hour or so before wanting to eat.) Just as we suspected, we weren't able to make a reservation. The guy on the phone said they were only accepting guests that had reservations for that night. No walk-ups. So that was a while ago. When we were ready to eat, I was still craving the French Onion soup so we decided to just walk over and see if we heard anything different.

We would have really rather eaten here:

But Blue Bayou was closed right along with Pirates of the Caribbean.

So off to Cafe Orleans. Once again we were told they weren't accepting anyone without a reservation. We stood there for a while and listened to them call reservation after reservation and no one was showing up. So odd.

So...off to find dinner elsewhere.

Hmmm. According to my pictures, apparently I stopped to take a picture of a scary mask...

...and ride Haunted Mansion...

...before finding dinner.

I really wanted some nice warm comfort food. For J, "nice warm comfort food" = this:

So he got his Turkey Leg (one of his Top 5 Reasons To Go To Disneyland) and I ended up getting a Chimichanga from one of the carts. No pictures, but that will be my first and last Chimichanga from one of those carts. It wasn't good at all. Right now I can't remember specifically what it was that I didn't like about it. Maybe it tasted like those tasteless "part too cold/part too hot" frozen burritos that J used to eat back in our college days. Anyway, all the taco sauce I slathered on just couldn't salvage the thing. We also split some corn on the cob. It was pretty good. The best thing about our dinner, though, was the view. Enjoyed while drinking hot chocolate.

We sat in a "new-to-us" spot. There were 4-ish tables up some stairs behind the food cart overlooking the water with NOS in the distance. It was a nice dinner spot. I enjoyed everything but the food.

|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-18-2012, 02:56 PM   #693
kaoden39
Prayers and pixie dust from your friends on the DIS
Hugs
I have been flipping all around the internet

I can imagine the flag ceremony was poignant to you. My dad served in the navy in Korea. Scotty was in the Army.
kaoden39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 02:57 PM   #694
mvf-m11c
DIS Veteran

Another great update to your TR. You got to watch the Flag Retreat along with "A Christmas Fantasy" parade is always a fun thing to do at night. Sometimes during those nights that you can walk up to the sit down restaurants. At least you had a great spot to see the ROA.
mvf-m11c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 03:25 PM   #695
deejdigsdis
I <3 Aglets

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaoden39 View Post
I can imagine the flag ceremony was poignant to you. My dad served in the navy in Korea. Scotty was in the Army.
That's neat. Hopefully you'll be able to fit the Flag Retreat into your schedule.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvf-m11c View Post
Another great update to your TR. You got to watch the Flag Retreat along with "A Christmas Fantasy" parade is always a fun thing to do at night. Sometimes during those nights that you can walk up to the sit down restaurants. At least you had a great spot to see the ROA.
Thanks Bret. I'm disappointed we didn't get to eat at CO. A chimichanga just wasn't a great replacement for the French Onion Soup I was in the mood for.

Old 01-18-2012, 03:32 PM   #696
kaoden39
Prayers and pixie dust from your friends on the DIS
Hugs
I have been flipping all around the internet

Quote:
Originally Posted by deejdigsdis View Post
That's neat. Hopefully you'll be able to fit the Flag Retreat into your schedule.

Thanks Bret. I'm disappointed we didn't get to eat at CO. A chimichanga just wasn't a great replacement for the French Onion Soup I was in the mood for.

Me too.
kaoden39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 03:47 PM   #697
deejdigsdis
I <3 Aglets

After dinner I remember we did a little shopping in the Mercantile before catching the rest of the fireworks and another snowfall. I bought some cute little red, white and green Mickey Mouse head-shaped sprinkles. (I used them on Christmas cookies and chocolate truffles over the holidays. If I remember I'll post a pic.)

Glimpses of the fireworks and snow from Main Street.

And a picture of lights strung over Main Street that my boys would refer to as "freaky":

My notes are a little fuzzy after this point. They say we rode the Matterhorn, Small World x 2, Indy, Haunted Mansion, Space Mountain x 2 (thanks to the Fast Passes from the girl at the Flag Retreat!), BTMR x 2, and an attempt at Peter Pan that failed due to a break down. So I guess this was my first trip ever to not ride Peter Pan.

So that's what we did. Here are some pictures to go along with that:

Changing modes on the camera to just pick up the color red:

You know how when you go on a ride there are certain things in the ride that you always look for or pay special attention to? Well, for my sister and I...when it comes to riding IASW...one of those "things" is this guy:

Sure, it's a horrible picture, but it conjures up memories of being on the lookout for him (and possibly imitating him discreetly with our arms and teeth as we sail by ...but now that I think about it...I guess it would be hard to be discreet when you're moving like him). So that one was for you, D.

I love snowflakes.

Since I didn't get a good shot of The Small World Guy, I was so happy to see this wreath as we were leaving the area.

Apparently we aren't the only ones that think of this guy when we think of IASW!

Old 01-18-2012, 03:55 PM   #698
deejdigsdis
I <3 Aglets

Finishing up Day 2!

I was thinking about that list of rides I mentioned in the last post. I don't think we rode all those rides after the fireworks. There were too many people to do all that. I think it was a list of how we spent the P.M. part of the day.

So it's midnight now. Closing time. Time for me to go grab a treat and head to the Front Porch.

My treat of choice was a piece of Mint Chocolate Fudge. It wasn't horrible, but I do remember being disappointed. I love the mint/chocolate combo, but I don't like it when it tastes on the medicine-y side.

We finally dragged ourselves off the porch and headed back to the hotel. A few pics on our way out:

Goodbye Nighttime Disneyland! See you in the Fall.

Up next...our last few hours in the park on Wednesday morning.

Old 01-18-2012, 06:42 PM   #699
deejdigsdis
I <3 Aglets

Wednesday November 23, 2011

Here we are. Our last morning. Making my way across the street.

Of course I had big plans to be there early. Didn't happen. I arrived around 8:15am. First order of business: take a picture of the new DCA entrance. The closest I got to DCA this trip.

With such a short trip planned, and with being sick, I kind of figured we wouldn't make it over to DCA this time. J let me out of my promise to ride TOT with him. (He loves it, I don't.) We were content to just stay put in Disneyland.

My next order of business was to get a new AP. It was the financially responsible thing to do () with a big extended family trip planned for Fall 2012. My first experience with getting an AP back in 2010 was quick and happy. This time... it was different. It was the CM's first time to process one, I think. I was fine with the longer wait. She was really friendly and smiley. Her supervisor, however, wasn't. She acted so annoyed that the new-ish CM had to keep calling her over to ask questions. I felt bad for her. The supervisor decided to move things along and finish up the process herself. They handed me the AP and I pointed out that the expiration date was wrong. It was supposed to be Nov. 21st, as that was the first day of use for my park hopper. The supervisor had put in the date of Nov. 23rd, the date of my upgrade. She had such a strange reaction. She just seemed so put out and annoyed that she needed to re-do it. I was careful not to point out the mistake in an annoying way, as it was clear that she just seemed annoyed during the whole process in general. I wanted to be honest, so I brought it to her attention. She changed the date and handed me the new AP with not so much as a smile or anything.

Off I went, through the gates of Disneyland for the last time this trip.

So much to see and only 3-ish hours. J would be meeting me a little later. First I went to get a BTMR FP. I took lots of pictures around that area. I felt like I had that area of the park all to myself.

Can you tell I LOVE poinsettias?

Old 01-18-2012, 07:04 PM   #700
tksbaskets
DIS Veteran

Deej - so much to comment on. I am still smiling thinking of you and J twirling and showing your teeth ala IASWH~

Your pics of Frontierland are STUNNING! I would have been disappointed had you not posted a few great lamppost pics. I can hardly see a lamp post at Disney and not think of you!

The AP was the cost-conscious decision to be sure Did you get to go over to the photopass dude/dudette and get your pic taken in front of the RR station? I was most jealous when I saw many do that on our trip.

(TR to start this week. You're setting the bar just right with the pace of yours )
tksbaskets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 10:51 AM   #701
deejdigsdis
I <3 Aglets

Quote:
Originally Posted by tksbaskets View Post
Deej - so much to comment on. I am still smiling thinking of you and J twirling and showing your teeth ala IASWH~

Your pics of Frontierland are STUNNING! I would have been disappointed had you not posted a few great lamppost pics. I can hardly see a lamp post at Disney and not think of you!

The AP was the cost-conscious decision to be sure Did you get to go over to the photopass dude/dudette and get your pic taken in front of the RR station? I was most jealous when I saw many do that on our trip.

(TR to start this week. You're setting the bar just right with the pace of yours )
I didn't need to get my picture taken for my AP. I thought I would have to, but they said they would use the picture I had taken back in April 2010.

Ha! Yes...that is the reason I am taking 2 months to do this TR. Far be it from me to set the bar too high by getting it done in 2 weeks.

Can't wait for your report!

Old 01-19-2012, 11:12 AM   #702
deejdigsdis
I <3 Aglets

Wednesday November 23, 2011 -- Continued

After meandering around Frontierland, I think I headed to Indy to pick up a FP. Indy was down, so no FP distribution was happening. I moved along toward HMH to get a FP there instead. Along my way I snapped this picture:

I was SO hoping Pirates would open a day early. Sigh. It didn't happen. It was so strange not riding it this trip.

Continuing along to grab my HMH FP. They were just closing the gates to the Mansion when I walked up, so again...no FP available.

Hmmm. I decided I would try for Splash. I did get a FP, but after I thought about it, I wasn't sure I wanted to ride and risk getting soaked when I only had a few hours. Been there, done that when it comes to getting soaked on Splash right before heading to the airport. I would have been OK with it had the temps been warmer, but...we'll see.

A few pics from Splash Mountain vicinity:

Grrr...I'm so sad that I didn't get to eat at Hungry Bear this time. I love the Fried Green Tomato Sandwich and Zesty Slaw.

As I headed back toward Main Street I noticed that Haunted Mansion had just re-opened. I jumped in line and walked right in.

After one last tour through the Mansion I headed over to ride BTMR and grab another FP for that ride.

Apparently I was assigned to Row 5.

This picture makes me happy. It makes me feel like I will be boarding the runaway mine train any second!

A little view of the Mark Twain as I exited:

According to the pictures, I hopped right back in line and rode again. This time in row 7.

Yip Yip Yippee!!!!!!!!!!! (That's what we always yell while riding this!)

A Hidden Mickey off to the left:

And a picture of one of those "things" I always look for on this ride...

I like how you can see part of the Big Thunder Ranch sign in the background.

I was finally able to pick up that long awaited Indy FP after my 2nd ride on BTMR. But would I have time to use it???

Old 01-19-2012, 11:56 AM   #703
CB Jamboree
"I am the Redhead!" "I am the Redhead!"

LOL!! about the IASWH guy!! I love it! I gave mom a personal reenactment of him (moving arms and exposed teeth)! She and I are just catching up on your latest TR while sitting in the hospital room with dad. He should be getting discharged today but is feeling a bit sick to his stomach right now.
Where exactly did you purchase the chimichanga? I don't ever remember seeing them being sold, let alone at a cart. I'm sorry you were so disappointed in it. Mom was looking at J's turkey leg and said, "Gross! That looks like a caveman's club!"
I was surprised to see that you missed your fried green tomato sandwich at Hungry Bear. There is always next time.
This has been getting us excited for our family trip this October
Mom really liked all of the pretty pics taken in Frontierland. Can't wait to read the rest.
CB Jamboree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 04:46 PM   #704
mvf-m11c
DIS Veteran

Very nice updates on your TR Deej.

You got to do a lot of rides that night and it was neat that you got to ride SM twice thanks to that lady when you were at the Flag Retreat. I always enjoy your one touch color pictures and I really like the red color pictures of IASWH that night.
mvf-m11c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 11:12 AM   #705
deejdigsdis
I <3 Aglets

Quote:
Originally Posted by CB Jamboree View Post
LOL!! about the IASWH guy!! I love it! I gave mom a personal reenactment of him (moving arms and exposed teeth)! She and I are just catching up on your latest TR while sitting in the hospital room with dad. He should be getting discharged today but is feeling a bit sick to his stomach right now.
Where exactly did you purchase the chimichanga? I don't ever remember seeing them being sold, let alone at a cart. I'm sorry you were so disappointed in it. Mom was looking at J's turkey leg and said, "Gross! That looks like a caveman's club!"
I was surprised to see that you missed your fried green tomato sandwich at Hungry Bear. There is always next time.
This has been getting us excited for our family trip this October
Mom really liked all of the pretty pics taken in Frontierland. Can't wait to read the rest.
I got the chimichanga right by the Mark Twain dock. It was huge. Too bad it didn't taste good.

I'm not sure how I missed my Hungry Bear lunch. We already had our 2 lunches planned at the BBQ and C.C., but you'd think I'd make it over there before dusk...to try my luck at getting stabbed in the mouth with a broken toothpick, if nothing else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvf-m11c View Post
Very nice updates on your TR Deej.

You got to do a lot of rides that night and it was neat that you got to ride SM twice thanks to that lady when you were at the Flag Retreat. I always enjoy your one touch color pictures and I really like the red color pictures of IASWH that night.
Thanks Bret. Those pictures are fun to do. Especially at Christmas time when there is so much red! I like the look of the red best. I've tried other colors and red just pops more, I guess.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: