Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-05-2009, 02:38 AM   #16
deejdigsdis
I <3 Aglets

Hellloooooooo out therrrrrrrrrrre! If anyone's out there, that is.

We hopped to DCA. The first thing I wanted to do was go on Soarin'. I had heard such great things about this ride and I was really looking forward to it. 5 minute wait. Wow, it did not disappoint. I loved it. Actually we all did. I was surprised the younger ones weren't phased when we swooped upward.

We decided we'd do Grizzly River Run next. We wanted to have a chance to dry off before it got dark. Thanks to the DIS, I knew about the free lockers. Thanks to the DIS I also knew about bringing ponchos along. I found some at WalMart for 88 cents. Too bad I left them back at the hotel... So we all went on this one. DS3 kept a straight face and was unemotional the whole time, not saying a word. DS6 started crying. "I think I'm not going to be O.K. I think I'm going to die." He isn't dramatic when he cries. It's more just tears running down his face - no noise. The people we shared the raft with didn't even notice. I felt like I couldn't enjoy this one very much because I was too concerned with leaning my whole body - well, as much as I could - over DS3 so he wouldn't get wet, and listening to another child tell me that he thinks he's going to die. DS6 was so glad to see the ride was over. I was shocked that he wanted to get right back on afterward. So, I sat out with DS3, who didn't like it because of the hills, and DH took the other 2 boys on. Then DH sat out while I took the older 2 boys on. Still no line.

After getting sufficiently wet, he headed to the Bug's Land area.

We went on the Chew Chew Train first. Whoa, was that the shortest ride ever. Good thing we didn't need to wait in line more than 2 minutes. My boys sure did love all the burping, though.

Did the little bumper car things next, then the spinning Ladybugs (I watched), then the little sit-in-a-raisin-box-or-animal-cracker-box-and-fly-around ride. DS3 and DS6 were enjoying all of these rides, but DS9 was ready for something more. He did ask me to take a couple of pictures of things he liked, though:

He really likes paper airplanes, so he thought this one was pretty cool. Oh - I guess that's the name of the sit-in-a-raisin-box-or-animal-cracker-box ride.

Here are some things that I thought were really cute:

I LOVED these signs on the bathrooms. Clever! As a side note, when DS3 sees handicap signs, he always thinks it is someone sitting on a toilet, and it means there is a bathroom close by!

I wanted to catch the Pixar Parade, and we had about 45 minutes til parade time. It didn't look like there was any rush to get a spot, so DH and DS9 headed to TOT, and I took the others over to Monster's Inc. We saw Mickey on the way over, and I really wanted to get a picture taken with the boys. They weren't really in the mood. DS6 wanted to go with dad and brother - but we all knew how that would go over - so there was no way. DS3 got shy and wouldn't get out of the stroller. Mickey reached over and grabbed his arm. DS3 covered his eyes with both hands. Mickey reached up and touched his hands and then he went like this:

It was really cute how he copied him. The Photo Pass Photographer snapped a picture - too bad I didn't quite get one before DS took his hands down. The handler told the photographer "Let me know if that gets photo of the day."

On to Monster's. We were disappointed to see that it was closed for the moment, with hopes to re-open before closing.

Last edited by deejdigsdis; 03-26-2012 at 11:47 AM.
deejdigsdis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 02:51 AM   #17
deejdigsdis
I <3 Aglets

There wasn't really enough time to do anything, so we headed back toward our parade meeting spot. This time Minnie was there with Mickey. The kids still weren't in the picture taking mood - so no Mickey-n-Minnie pics. I wish I would've just gotten in there myself. We got some cotton candy. I also learned on the DIS to buy the little tubs of cotton candy at WalMart and then bring them in. I bought them at home - then forgot to take them into the parks. Oh well. So I bought cotton candy for the 2 boys to share. (I can't stand it.) It kept them entertained, along with that night's glow bracelets (aka build-it-yourself lightsabers) while we waited for the parade. Meanwhile DH and DS9 came back. DS9 had tears in his eyes. TOT freaked him out quite a bit, but DH loved it. I had been looking forward to that ride, too. But I ended up not going because it didn't sound fun to go all by myself. The plan was for DH and I to take turns going with DS9, but it just wasn't his thing.

I wanted a waiting-for-the-parade-to-start treat that wasn't cotton candy. DH left and came back with this:

I'm not normally interested in funnel cakes, but this one was really good. And very festive!

Last edited by deejdigsdis; 03-26-2012 at 11:49 AM.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-05-2009, 11:44 AM   #18
Sherry E
Willing victim of the Disney Snowball Effect...
Okay so after a coffee and lunch break I am back!

DISboards Moderator

Great TR so far!

I just love the wonderful, vivid colors in your photos! Everything came out so clear and sharp. I commented on some of your holiday photos already over in the "disney at Christmas" thread, so I will address other ones here. I LOVE that you took all those great shots in A Bug's Land!! ABL is one of those areas - much like ToonTown - which is often overlooked by people (who don't have kids) - or downright avoided, for fear of encountering throngs of little tiny kids running wild all over, I think. Or the mentality is simply, "Eh...that place is for kids only...we don't need to go there." But visually and photographically speaking, both ABL and TT are fantastic. The colors are vibrant and the shapes and aesthetics are whimsical and fun. I also love that during the holidays, both ABL and ToonTown have their own unique decorations like nowhere else in the parks. I never see too many photos on the DIS of either land at Christmastime, so I am glad you got such great ones in ABL!

Pumpkins, Peppermint, Pastels and...Club 33!!! - (A new chapter begins... Many photos and wacky tales, coming soon to a Trip Report thread near you!)
And for some non-holiday seaside fun in the sun ~~ 2012 Catalina Island/Avalon Trip Report - My Solo Day Trip, in Photos (LOTS of Photos!)- 7/21/12 & Highlights from 2013 & 2014
Sherry E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 11:47 AM   #19
deejdigsdis
I <3 Aglets

Time for the Pixar Parade... If you want to see better pictures, visit Yakety76's TR.

Roz has always frightened me a bit. It was a little freaky to have her heading straight toward me like this.

Note To Self: Pay more attention to where the street lights are when picking a spot for a nighttime parade with my current camera.

So by this time DCA is about to close. Why? Can someone please tell me why it closes so early? 6:00? We thought we'd finish up our night at DCA with a spin on Toy Story. Having never been there, it was a bit further trek than we realized, but we made it in time. Our wait was less than 15 minutes. Very welcome news, as I had read about how long this line gets. It has such a fun atmosphere. DS3 was getting worried. "Are there any fast hills?" They loved the 3-D glasses. And the ride...awesome! I'm not into video game type stuff, but I loved this ride. I would definitely need to return another time. The kids all liked it, too.

We began the trek back over to DL. More Christmas Cheer:

DH said he had seen Santa set up in this gazebo earlier, but he was gone when we passed back through.

Re-entering Disneyland

Armed with FPs, I took DS9 and DS6 to ride Indy while DH took DS3 to Fantasyland. We waited 30 minutes in the FP line. That was way longer than what I was expecting. But then I thought of the first time I stood in that line back in 1996 - waiting 2+ hours - and 30 minutes didn't seem so bad. I forgot how much I love that ride. Just love it! DS9 loved it too and was asking me about all these details afterward. He noticed way more of the details than I did. DS6...got a bit worried in line, even more worried when we were in the 2nd row (he wanted the back), but was fine when I said he could ride between me and DS9. He kept his eyes closed the entire ride, but he was very proud of himself for going on it. No crying this time and agreed to return another time.

We had about 30 minutes before closing, so we decided to ride Big Thunder Mountain before meeting the others for fireworks. I pointed out the goat to the kids, but didn't attempt the goat trick. I love this ride, too.

Meanwhile DH took DS3 on Dumbo a few times, which of course he loved. Maybe a ride or two on the Carousel. We tried to meet up for the fireworks but it didn't work out. They were stuck somewhere by Small World and we were stuck on the path between Star Tours and Plaza Inn. We had a good view of the fireworks, but we weren't in an area where it snowed. The snow was what I was more interested in. Anyway, we finally did reach a snowy area where we could hear the music and all was right with the world.

Disneyland is officially closed at this point. We mosey down Main Street and wait at the big Christmas tree for DH and sleeping DS3. I could just sit there for hours. I ended up taking DS6 over to the Mad Hatter to get Mickey Ears. I wasn't planning on getting the kids Mickey Ears, but was pleasantly surprised when they expressed interest. So I took DS6 first. I guess we took our time, because there wasn't time to take the others in afterward. Had to do it another day. We spent a bit more time on the benches by the tree, and then headed back to HOJO. Again, the walk was totally do-able. And that's the end of DAY 2!
Old 12-05-2009, 11:54 AM   #20
deejdigsdis
I <3 Aglets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherry E View Post
Great TR so far!

I just love the wonderful, vivid colors in your photos! Everything came out so clear and sharp. I commented on some of your holiday photos already over in the "disney at Christmas" thread, so I will address other ones here. I LOVE that you took all those great shots in A Bug's Land!! ABL is one of those areas - much like ToonTown - which is often overlooked by people (who don't have kids) - or downright avoided, for fear of encountering throngs of little tiny kids running wild all over, I think. Or the mentality is simply, "Eh...that place is for kids only...we don't need to go there." But visually and photographically speaking, both ABL and TT are fantastic. The colors are vibrant and the shapes and aesthetics are whimsical and fun. I also love that during the holidays, both ABL and ToonTown have their own unique decorations like nowhere else in the parks. I never see too many photos on the DIS of either land at Christmastime, so I am glad you got such great ones in ABL!
Hi Sherry! I could not get over those popsicle stick benches...I think I took about 5 pictures and they all look the same. Not sure what I was expecting with each shot - they were just too cute! And the bugs with the bum-lights... such a great idea and so cute. Thanks for reading...
Old 12-05-2009, 09:56 PM   #21
Yakety76
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by deejdigsdis View Post
Hellloooooooo out therrrrrrrrrrre! If anyone's out there, that is.
I am here!!! What great pictures you took. I love that you captured so many of the little details.
I love your recreation of your first few minutes in the park. I like to know that I am not the only teary eyed gal when entering the gates.
Yakety76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 11:17 AM   #22
deejdigsdis
I <3 Aglets

Rest/Laundry/Beach Day

Hi there Yakety76!

Our "down day" begins and breakfast is served!!

We had cereal in our room every morning. A word of warning about the HOJO fridges... your milk might possibly freeze. I had read that in several reviews on Trip Advisor but just figured they had it turned too cold. I purposely kept the milk in the door, figuring it wouldn't possibly freeze there, but it did. It froze in the door, and if it was pushed way back on the shelf, but not if it was pulled forward on the shelves. The setting didn't seem to matter. Anyway, DH didn't let it stop him from enjoying his Life cereal!

I was going to get going on the laundry early, but opted to sleep in. By the time I did get started, DH suggested we hit the beach as early as possible. This was supposed to be the coolest day of the week. So off we went to Newport Beach. I used the "DL Area Beaches" thread of the boards to figure out where to go. We wanted a family-friendly area, not a big trek from the parking area, etc. and we found it. We parked right next to the sand (25 cents/15 minutes). The place looked like it would be hopping in the summer, but on Nov. 18th, not so much. We had the whole place to ourselves. Except for these guys:

These guys were fearless. See that bag? It is a gallon Ziploc that had snacks in it. We left it with our stuff, but the birds carried it away. We did get it back and the bag had lots of holes in it. One of DS3's fave activities was chasing the birds. He could get really close to them - they just didn't seem intimidated.

Backtracking...this was our kids' first visit to the ocean. When we parked and got out of the car, we kept saying to the kids, "Look up! Look out there! It's the ocean! Isn't it amazing!" All 3 of them practically had their heads buried in the sand looking for shells. They weren't interested in looking up! Finally they did, and headed to the water. DS6 and DS9 were in swimsuits and t-shirts and were fine temp-wise. The few locals that we did see taking walks along the beach were bundled up in jackets and hats, sometimes scarves! DS3 wouldn't put his swimsuit on at the hotel. He's not a huge water fan and just wasn't going to do it. I told him I'd bring his suit along anyway, just in case he changed his mind. "Mom, if I say I'm going to need my swimsuit, then I'll need it. If I say I'm NOT going to need my swimsuit, then I'm NOT going to need it." Like, DUH. I brought it anyway. He was really hesitant. As the others were easing their way into the cold water, he hung back. Soon a small wave knocked him over and soaked his jeans from the waist down. He was now ready to change into his swimsuit, just until his pants dried. The 3 kids are having fun and I'm enjoying the view.

I think this was my favorite picture of the day:

We spent about 4 hours there. I wanted to rent bikes and ride down the path along the beach ($5 per hour, I think), but when the kids were done being wet and sandy, they were just done. We should have done the bike thing before the water thing.

Back to HOJO we go. Everyone bathes and then we head to Mimi's for dinner. Might as well put in my Mimi's Review here:

We did take-out 2 or 3 times, and ate inside once. The food was really good. I especially enjoyed the Greek Chicken Salad, and planned to pick one up on the way out of town, but forgot. The downside...the first time we did take-out, and DH picked it up, he had to return 2 or 3 times to get stuff they forgot. They forgot to put in the dirt pudding cups that come with all the kid meals. Once when I stopped by after DL on the way to HOJO they forgot these as well. Back to the first night, they also forgot to put in a Caesar Salad. When DH went back, they noticed they didn't have it on the order. (I heard him order it.) They ended up giving it to him for free. But after that first night, DH wasn't interested in going back. I liked the food, though, and so did the kids. The kids meals are around $4.69 and filled them up. So, if you do take-out, make sure you check for everything. The night that I was in I had to ask for about 3 things they didn't put in as well. Good food, though.

Laundry time. On the way back in from Mimi's we went down to the basement to check on the laundry situation. Looked good, just one dryer in use. DH offered to do the laundry so I gathered it up into a few loads. He took his time getting down there, and by the time he arrived there was a line of about 6 people AND 3 of the 4 dryers were out-of-order! The dryers weren't broken a couple hours earlier, but it was a mistake to wait until after Disneyland closes to start the laundry. So, DH came back up at 2am with just some of the laundry done and no intention of going to Magic Morning. Well, I wasn't about to miss it. I would go by myself if I had to, but I was going! That's up next...

Last edited by deejdigsdis; 03-26-2012 at 11:51 AM.
Old 12-06-2009, 11:50 AM   #23
Sherry E
Willing victim of the Disney Snowball Effect...
Okay so after a coffee and lunch break I am back!

DISboards Moderator

That photo is fantastic (the one you said is your favorite from the day at the beach). Definitely a 'suitable for framing' shot.

That is so funny about the frozen milk!!!! Truthfully, I have had that happen. I can attest to the fact that the little mini-fridges in the DLR hotel rooms get cold enough to freeze things. I have had many a water bottle get frozen solid in those things. But with water, I could just take the frozen bottle, stick it in my Baggallini pouch, and then it would defrost as we got out in the sun and it was totally drinkable. Milk is a little different and has to be handled slightly differently. When I first saw your photo, I looked at it and was saying to myself, "What in the heck? Why did they put mashed potatoes on their cereal for breakfast?" And I looked at the bottle of milk and wondered what "that stuff" was around the opening. Then I read your frozen milk story and it all made sense because I remember my own frozen water situations!!

Pumpkins, Peppermint, Pastels and...Club 33!!! - (A new chapter begins... Many photos and wacky tales, coming soon to a Trip Report thread near you!)
And for some non-holiday seaside fun in the sun ~~ 2012 Catalina Island/Avalon Trip Report - My Solo Day Trip, in Photos (LOTS of Photos!)- 7/21/12 & Highlights from 2013 & 2014
Sherry E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 06:29 PM   #24
kylieh
DIS Veteran

Love the pic at the beach. And all of your TR. Thank you for sharing.
Old 12-06-2009, 08:12 PM   #25
Yakety76
Mouseketeer

What a great picture of your boys at the beach.

Your DS3 must be pretty tall. How fun that he was able to ride all the big kid rides with you. My DS3 is only about 38 inches, so he was well below the mark to ride them with us. That was quite all right with him though .

We also had problems with our fridge at HOJOs. Our celery froze. Your milk looks like ice cream. That could be a fun breakfast treat.
I am glad we didn't have to do laundry on our trip. What a nightmare. Kudos to DH for doing the laundry for you all, though. That was really nice.

I love the story of your DS catching the snowflakes on his tongue. Too bad it was soap, though. Yuck.
Yakety76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 12:51 AM   #26
deejdigsdis
I <3 Aglets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherry E View Post
That photo is fantastic (the one you said is your favorite from the day at the beach). Definitely a 'suitable for framing' shot.

That is so funny about the frozen milk!!!! Truthfully, I have had that happen. I can attest to the fact that the little mini-fridges in the DLR hotel rooms get cold enough to freeze things. I have had many a water bottle get frozen solid in those things. But with water, I could just take the frozen bottle, stick it in my Baggallini pouch, and then it would defrost as we got out in the sun and it was totally drinkable. Milk is a little different and has to be handled slightly differently. When I first saw your photo, I looked at it and was saying to myself, "What in the heck? Why did they put mashed potatoes on their cereal for breakfast?" And I looked at the bottle of milk and wondered what "that stuff" was around the opening. Then I read your frozen milk story and it all made sense because I remember my own frozen water situations!!
"Thanks" about the photo. I have a spot picked out for it, but no frame yet.

We had some water bottles freeze too, but that was kind of nice. Loved that you thought it was mashed potatoes. I was quite shocked when I walked into the room and saw him sitting on the bed just "pouring" it on like everything was normal.
Old 12-07-2009, 12:52 AM   #27
deejdigsdis
I <3 Aglets

Quote:
Originally Posted by kylieh View Post
Love the pic at the beach. And all of your TR. Thank you for sharing.
Thank You! Glad you're here.
Old 12-07-2009, 12:56 AM   #28
deejdigsdis
I <3 Aglets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakety76 View Post
What a great picture of your boys at the beach.

Your DS3 must be pretty tall. How fun that he was able to ride all the big kid rides with you. My DS3 is only about 38 inches, so he was well below the mark to ride them with us. That was quite all right with him though .

We also had problems with our fridge at HOJOs. Our celery froze. Your milk looks like ice cream. That could be a fun breakfast treat.
I am glad we didn't have to do laundry on our trip. What a nightmare. Kudos to DH for doing the laundry for you all, though. That was really nice.

I love the story of your DS catching the snowflakes on his tongue. Too bad it was soap, though. Yuck.
Yes, DS3 is between 42 and 43 inches. He was ABLE to do everything in DL but Indy, but he wasn't interested. No Space or Matterhorn for him. Although the other day he was mentioning going on these when he turned 8 or 10.

Yeah, I thought the milk was ice cream, too, when I first saw it. It was just so funny how he was acting like it was normal to pour frozen milk on your cereal and just...eat it.
Old 12-07-2009, 01:57 AM   #29
deejdigsdis
I <3 Aglets

Day 3 and Magic Morning

GRRRRR. I just spent about 45 minutes updating and I think I lost it all. Let's try this again...

So - DH opted to sleep in due to laundry troubles and skip Magic Morning. I was up in plenty of time and ready to go. I asked the kids who was going to go with me. DS9 was ready to go. DS3 and DS6..."I don't want to go to Disneyland today." What kind of children have I raised?!? So they stayed at the hotel and DS9 and I headed over.

We got there at 8:30 and were 7th and 8th in line. Not too bad! DS9 enjoyed studying the park maps and I enjoyed taking pics and counting down to open Disneyland.

The gates open and we dash down Main Street and through the castle and over to Peter Pan. We followed DLR29's suggested ride order for Fantasyland during Magic Morning. Peter Pan first. Two people in front of us. Dumbo. Walked on. Then Alice. Walked on. Next up Matterhorn. 7 minute wait. Back to Toad, then Snow White. I think both were walk ons. Maybe a few people in line. We skipped Pinocchio and the Carousel since we had already done them on our first day.

I have always loved this leaf.

Just had to get a picture of this sign. Another reminder of my childhood visits.

Then we headed over to Space Mountain.

When I was going through my pictures and came across this one, I thought, "Wow. This looks like it could have been taken in 1977. Or 1982. Or 1996." I was glad it looked the same. I had read that Space Mountain was closed for 2 years, but when I rode it I couldn't tell that anything had changed (ride-wise). I knew when there would be a dip, or a turn, etc. and I was surprised that it all came back to me after 13 years. I guess I was expecting more of a change if it had been closed for 2 years. Not that I wanted a change or anything, mind you. I looked it up on Wikipedia and read that the entire track was removed, and they completely rebuilt the new track in the exact same layout as the original design. (Ah. I wasn't going crazy.) I also read that the exterior of the mountain was painted green and gold () for a period of about 6 years, and then was repainted white. I can't imagine it being green and gold. Any reviews on that one?

Gotta love Magic Mornings:

We picked up FPs on our way out, did Buzz since we couldn't see a line anywhere, and then headed for Indy.

Still no word from the others, so we just kept going and doing our thing. On our way to Indy we walked past those delicious-looking pineapple spears by the Tiki Room, so after Indy we went back and got one. We thought we'd sit on one of those brick walls in New Orleans Square, with a view of the river, and just enjoy. On our way over, we saw a lady in bright yellow holding tickets and talking to a few people. I wondered if she was from the Tiana show, so we walked up to see what was going on. I remembered reading Moderator Mary Jo's review of the show, and who to look for and where if you wanted to be in the show. So, we secured ourselves a boarding pass to be in the 4pm show! I was very excited about this. Ever since I read about it I told DH, "I want to do that! That would be so fun!" He was disappointed that he wouldn't have a chance to participate. Someone would have to sit out with DS3, afterall. When I had asked the other kids if they would want to do it, if given the chance, DS9 was all for it. DS6..."Will anyone see me?" Uh, yeah. He was out. Anyway, I was really excited!

The Jubilee was just about to start, so we decided to hang around and watch it so we would know what we were in for. All while eating those delicious pineapple spears.

More later.
Old 12-07-2009, 09:58 AM   #30
AZBeth
Mouseketeer

enjoying your trip report

we were there part of the same time you were there (11/13 - 11/17). Love all your photos, especailly since I accidently left my camera battery at home, so no great photos... We loved Bugsland and all their wonderful details.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: