Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-19-2010, 09:35 PM   #211
deejdigsdis
I <3 Aglets

DAY 4 -- Thursday Oct. 28th

I have a new goal to get this thing wrapped up before leaving town for Thanksgiving, so let's get on with Day 4...

Disneyland opened at 9am, with a MM at 8am. I tried to convince everyone else (non-APers) to go for MM. I don't think I'm a very good convincer though, as I'm not totally sold on the greatness of MM myself. I've only been in DL for 2 MMs. One was great. The other was extremely disappointing and left me wondering what the big deal about MM was. Anyway, they basically didn't want to go and leave me behind. I said I would walk over with them, hang out, take pictures, etc. I didn't mind AT ALL if they went in -- I wanted them to. There was no convincing them, so we left the hotel at 8:15 for the 9am opening. As we were standing in the short turnstile line, I tried my hand at talking them into going in. There was no reason for them not to. Finally, at 8:40, after lots of "Are you sure?"s, they went in. At 8:45 they started letting the rest of us go in and hang out on Main Street. I snapped another picture of Chef Oscar. You know how I love seeing all the CMs in their Mickey hands.

I crossed the street and tried the ol' trick of walking through the shops and waiting by the door in the last shop for rope drop, but for some reason they weren't letting people wait there. So I went back outside.

Crowds waiting to be set free!

My plan was to go to Space Mountain and get FPs. Then I realized (duh!) that I only had my own ticket. So I texted D36 and told her to meet me by Space with everyone's tickets. I can't remember what they were doing -- just kind of walking around, I think. They got there before me, I went and grabbed FPs, and then we decided to just hit whatever rides we hadn't yet. We began to trek over to Fantasyland. (I know...who goes to Fantasyland right after rope drop on a MM day?!? Apparently us.)

Some random vegetable patches we passed on our way.

First on our list was Storybook Canal. Gotta get some flower pics.

About to be swallowed...

Oh look...another lamppost!

Our tour guide was soooo into his job. I think he kept his eyes closed the whole time, though. (Side note: I remember when I was 6 years old I got to sit up there with the tour guide for the whole ride as a little assistant. I wonder if they let kids do that anymore?)

Continuing on with more Fantasyland...

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2342117
deejdigsdis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 12:42 AM   #212
deejdigsdis
I <3 Aglets

DAY 4 -- Thursday Oct. 28th Cont.

So continuing on through Fantasyland...

I couldn't pass these flowers by the Teacups without taking pictures, or touching them. Yes, they are as velvety as they look.

Dumbo was our next destination. Wow, I wonder when the last time was that I rode Dumbo with my mom??? So fun!

We rode Peter Pan next, but my camera battery died while we were in line, so no pics here.

After PP we very lazily made our way over to Blue Bayou for lunch. Pics taken along the way...

The Disney Family Crest:

After passing through the castle we walked around the Carnation Plaza Gardens area and reminisced about old times. We were trying to figure out how the Carnation ice cream place fit into that area. It just looked too small. Anyway, we sure miss getting our ice cream back there.

Continuing on our way...

I like this tree.

Up next...lunch at Blue Bayou.

|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-20-2010, 10:56 AM   #213
Sherry E
Willing victim of the Disney Snowball Effect...
Okay so after a coffee and lunch break I am back!

DISboards Moderator

I'm still here!! I know all too well that feeling of talking to yourself in a TR, and wondering if anyone will chime in. It's nice to have interaction and feedback. Or you feel like you are wasting your time!!

I wish I could get in here to chime in more often, and I mean that literally. For some reason, my very ancient and ailing PC has a heck of a time with your TR and loading the pages. Some TR's are like that for my computer and others are not. I think my own TR, which started off with extra large photos at the beginning (2 years ago), was doing that for some people. Their machines would lock up on my TR. Even my PC was locking up on my own Trip Report!! So when I changed the size of the photos that seemed to help a little. My PC will still lock up on TR's that don't even have many photos, or the photos are smaller, so there is no logic behind it all. Some TRs that are really, really long (like 3 times as many pages as my own) will freeze up the ol' PC, too,

Anyway, I love the photos, as always. What I have to do is access them by clicking on the links in the e-mail subscription alerts - that seems to work better for me than trying to view them in the TR when the PC is being temperamental. I LOVE the big photos because you can see the colors and details so much better.

What was I going to comment on...

1. One of the main reasons I was sad to not go to the MHP this year was because of Jack Sparrow, since he does not appear any other time of year at DLR...because he was cruelly removed from regularly appearing at DLR under the guise of 'not being very popular.' Yeah, right. Who believes that? He was a little too popular, in fact.

2. It does look like they sold too many tickets to the MHP. Too many people for an exclusive party, I think. Even though folks seem to have differing opinions of whether crowds were really bad or not too bad at all, in every photo I've seen it looks like there were a lot of people. I noticed this when I went to the TOTP in DCA 2 years ago - it was not all that uncrowded. I think they should really cut the number of tickets down considerably to make it more exclusive-feeling.

3. I agree about the trick or treating - it's not something I have done since childhood, and the only place you can get away with trick or treating as an adult is at Disneyland. At Disneyland, anything is possible. So if I shell out money for that darn party in 2011 - and I most likely will - you're darn tootin' that I am going to get my candy! Even if I give it all away and only hoard my favorites from the bunch, I'm loading up the bag!

4. I hope hope hope that DLR comes to its senses and puts some form of Halloween decor in DCA next year. Yes, yes, there's the contruction work and all that, but they CAN do it if they want to. If they can do it for the holidays, they can do it for Halloween. I really think DCA needs to be included in the Halloween Time festivities, and what I've seen in this year's photos just ain't cuttin' it.

5. That safety sign ("keep your arms and legs inside the vehicle" is hilarious. I mean the one with the red line through it - showing you what you're not supposed to be doing. It sort of looks like dancing...and it sort of looks like some sort of calisthenic move ("...and one, and two, and up, and stretch, and three, and four....")...and it sort of looks like two people doing the 'Y' in the "YMCA" dance.

I'm pretty sure that no one is going to be dancing, exercising OR forming letters from Village People songs on these rides, so DLR might want to re-think the sign.

6. Clearly, the Autopia cars need to be repaired - I'm glad to know that we were not the only ones who had cars that stalled! I still love that ride because it reminds me of how excited I was to ride it when I was a kid (and yes, I remember the Fantasyland Autopia very well!!). But the vehicles must be on their last legs, even though these are the newer models.

7. If I were only going to ride one thing in DCA, it would be TSMM! But Soarin' would be a close second. Let's just say that if I were given 30 minutes to get in line and ride TSMM in DCA and I got it done in 29 minutes and 40 seconds, I would be trying to squeeze in Soarin' in those last 20 seconds! But I totally agree about Pirates - that is my favorite ride in DL, which I would never miss...even though I missed it last Saturday when I was at DLR. LOL!!

How are you feeling now? Is the strep all gone? As someone who has suffered from chronic tonsilitis all her life - which has many of the same symptoms - I can totally relate. You feel so run down and that 'sick' feeling is just miserable...and it lingers on forever, it seems. Gotta love Zithromax's Z-pak!

I'm pretty sure there was more I was going to comment on, but I wanted to get this much in while you were still here (before you go away for Thanksgiving) to read it. Can't wait to read the rest of the TR!!

I see that you and some others commented in my TR a couple of days ago, so I am heading over there to reply now!!

Pumpkins, Peppermint, Pastels and...Club 33!!! - (A new chapter begins... Many photos and wacky tales, coming soon to a Trip Report thread near you!)
And for some non-holiday seaside fun in the sun ~~ 2012 Catalina Island/Avalon Trip Report - My Solo Day Trip, in Photos (LOTS of Photos!)- 7/21/12 & Highlights from 2013 & 2014

Last edited by Sherry E; 11-20-2010 at 02:15 PM. Reason: Typos!
Sherry E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 01:56 PM   #214
tksbaskets
DIS Veteran

Deej how do you find all these things I've never seen before? I appreciate all the reasons to return to my happy place

Can't wait for lunch!
tksbaskets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 01:20 AM   #215
deejdigsdis
I <3 Aglets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherry E View Post
I'm still here!! I know all too well that feeling of talking to yourself in a TR, and wondering if anyone will chime in. It's nice to have interaction and feedback. Or you feel like you are wasting your time!!

I wish I could get in here to chime in more often, and I mean that literally. For some reason, my very ancient and ailing PC has a heck of a time with your TR and loading the pages. Some TR's are like that for my computer and others are not. I think my own TR, which started off with extra large photos at the beginning (2 years ago), was doing that for some people. Their machines would lock up on my TR. Even my PC was locking up on my own Trip Report!! So when I changed the size of the photos that seemed to help a little. My PC will still lock up on TR's that don't even have many photos, or the photos are smaller, so there is no logic behind it all. Some TRs that are really, really long (like 3 times as many pages as my own) will freeze up the ol' PC, too,

Anyway, I love the photos, as always. What I have to do is access them by clicking on the links in the e-mail subscription alerts - that seems to work better for me than trying to view them in the TR when the PC is being temperamental. I LOVE the big photos because you can see the colors and details so much better.

What was I going to comment on...

1. One of the main reasons I was sad to not go to the MHP this year was because of Jack Sparrow, since he does not appear any other time of year at DLR...because he was cruelly removed from regularly appearing at DLR under the guise of 'not being very popular.' Yeah, right. Who believes that? He was a little too popular, in fact.

2. It does look like they sold too many tickets to the MHP. Too many people for an exclusive party, I think. Even though folks seem to have differing opinions of whether crowds were really bad or not too bad at all, in every photo I've seen it looks like there were a lot of people. I noticed this when I went to the TOTP in DCA 2 years ago - it was not all that uncrowded. I think they should really cut the number of tickets down considerably to make it more exclusive-feeling.

3. I agree about the trick or treating - it's not something I have done since childhood, and the only place you can get away with trick or treating as an adult is at Disneyland. At Disneyland, anything is possible. So if I shell out money for that darn party in 2011 - and I most likely will - you're darn tootin' that I am going to get my candy! Even if I give it all away and only hoard my favorites from the bunch, I'm loading up the bag!

4. I hope hope hope that DLR comes to its senses and puts some form of Halloween decor in DCA next year. Yes, yes, there's the contruction work and all that, but they CAN do it if they want to. If they can do it for the holidays, they can do it for Halloween. I really think DCA needs to be included in the Halloween Time festivities, and what I've seen in this year's photos just ain't cuttin' it.

5. That safety sign ("keep your arms and legs inside the vehicle" is hilarious. I mean the one with the red line through it - showing you what you're not supposed to be doing. It sort of looks like dancing...and it sort of looks like some sort of calisthenic move ("...and one, and two, and up, and stretch, and three, and four....")...and it sort of looks like two people doing the 'Y' in the "YMCA" dance.

I'm pretty sure that no one is going to be dancing, exercising OR forming letters from Village People songs on these rides, so DLR might want to re-think the sign.

6. Clearly, the Autopia cars need to be repaired - I'm glad to know that we were not the only ones who had cars that stalled! I still love that ride because it reminds me of how excited I was to ride it when I was a kid (and yes, I remember the Fantasyland Autopia very well!!). But the vehicles must be on their last legs, even though these are the newer models.

7. If I were only going to ride one thing in DCA, it would be TSMM! But Soarin' would be a close second. Let's just say that if I were given 30 minutes to get in line and ride TSMM in DCA and I got it done in 29 minutes and 40 seconds, I would be trying to squeeze in Soarin' in those last 20 seconds! But I totally agree about Pirates - that is my favorite ride in DL, which I would never miss...even though I missed it last Saturday when I was at DLR. LOL!!

How are you feeling now? Is the strep all gone? As someone who has suffered from chronic tonsilitis all her life - which has many of the same symptoms - I can totally relate. You feel so run down and that 'sick' feeling is just miserable...and it lingers on forever, it seems. Gotta love Zithromax's Z-pak!

I'm pretty sure there was more I was going to comment on, but I wanted to get this much in while you were still here (before you go away for Thanksgiving) to read it. Can't wait to read the rest of the TR!!

I see that you and some others commented in my TR a couple of days ago, so I am heading over there to reply now!!
So glad you were able to find your way in here Sherry! I had no idea it could be so tricky. I can't remember ever having trouble with TRs and pictures loading. I guess I didn't know that could be an issue. I don't know how to change the size of the pictures, but I'm a fan of the bigger ones anyway. I just didn't realize it could possibly cause so much trouble! Sheesh!

Thanks for your comments! I never heard the one about Capt. Jack "not being very popular." I noticed he often posed in a way that made him "keep his distance" somewhat, and I wondered if he was told to do that to sort of ward off the ladies.

Ha! The "Y" in the YMCA dance...that is too funny! I hadn't quite seen it that way before, but you're right.

I'm not feeling any more effects from the strep. Thanks for asking. I still have a few more days of antibiotics to go. When I went to the pharmacy to fill my prescription, I was expecting the usual Amoxicillin tablets. When the pharmacist handed me the bottle she said, "Boy, I hope you don't have a sore throat...these are huge!" I checked out the bottle and it was filled with the biggest pills I've ever seen. They were huge! I said, "Well I have strep throat. There is no way I can swallow those things." They offered to chop them up for me so I could sprinkle them on pudding. Uh, no thanks. My mom used to chop up penicillin and "hide" it in raspberry jam when I was little because I couldn't swallow pills. To this day I can't eat raspberry jam without tasting penicillin. Anyway, so they ended up giving me what I think of as the liquid kid-version. The pink stuff my kids take. It took a lot longer for the liquid to take effect, compared to the tablets I've gotten before. I don't know what was up with that, but I'm finally feeling better. (Probably more than you wanted to know. )

Quote:
Originally Posted by tksbaskets View Post
Deej how do you find all these things I've never seen before? I appreciate all the reasons to return to my happy place

Can't wait for lunch!
Hey TK! I was in such a moseying around mode my last 2 trips that I couldn't help but notice stuff! So are you down to the 20s in your countdown yet? Wait, you're going after Christmas, huh? It will be here before you know it! I want time to slow down a bit. I love this time of year and it just goes by too fast. I might be thinking differently if I had a Disney trip on the horizon, though.

So lunch at Blue Bayou... we'll get to that tomorrow.

Old 11-21-2010, 09:11 AM   #216
deejdigsdis
I <3 Aglets

So lunch at Blue Bayou. I had such wonderful memories of my last Blue Bayou lunch with my husband in April. We had the perfect waterside table and the food couldn't have been better. I was excited to duplicate the experience with Mom and my sisters, as the last (and only) time we all lunched at Blue Bayou together was in 1996 and it was not a good experience. Sitting by the kitchen, pots and pans clanking around...you get the picture. I made reservations for 11:30 -- the first seating of the day. We got there early and went up to the podium to check-in around 11:10. This is what I did when I went with my husband, at the recommendation of other DISers, and things turned out great. Well...they appeared to have changed their policy. They told me to come back around 11:20 or 11:25. I thought maybe this guy was new and wasn't quite in the know of how they did things. So I asked for a menu and we stood back and waited.

After about 5 minutes I walked up to the other side and tried to check in with a different CM. She said it was too early to check in -- I had to wait until 11:20 or 11:25. She did ask for my name and confirm that I did indeed have a reservation, but it didn't count as a check-in. I would have to come back. I decided to take a few pics of the newly hung Christmas decorations while the others stayed close by.

By this time the lunch crowd was gathering and I was getting nervous. Everyone was going up to the podium and I wasn't sure if they were being told the same thing or what. When the clock struck 11:20 I pounced on the podium, trying to check in with the original guy I had spoken with. He told me it would be a couple of minutes, so I just waited right up there. Finally, with a huge crowd upon them, they finally began checking people in. It was so chaotic compared to my earlier experience. I was told that they don't do earlier check-ins because they would invite the checked in people to come and sit down in the waiting area, and then they would forget about them and they weren't getting seated. This made no sense to me whatsoever. I had a Seinfeld moment go through my mind...something about being able to TAKE the reservation (for a rental car) but not being able to HOLD the reservation. Not exactly the same thing, but I did think of that.

At last! We're officially check-in! We waited inside for about 3 minutes before being called up. First party of the day to be seated. We were seated at a perfect table, where there were 2 pirate hats waiting for us. Apparently the reservation listed us as a party of 2 adults and 2 children. D36 and I took it upon ourselves to be the children of the group and put on the pirate hats (which we later discovered were really the child menus). Our big heads stretched and tore the paper a bit, but we made them work and wore them for the rest of the day.

Getting ready to order...

To be continued later...motherhood calls...

Old 11-22-2010, 12:26 AM   #217
deejdigsdis
I <3 Aglets

So back to lunch in the bayou...

What would an update from me be without a light or 2?

I ordered the same thing I did last time...the Tesoro Island Chicken. The first thing I noticed when we perused the menu was that the price had gone up from $27.99 to $29.99 since April. The second thing I noticed was the smaller piece of chicken. The third thing I noticed was that the seasonal vegetable was MUCH better this time around.

I'm pretty sure my mom ordered the chicken too. I know M48 ordered the beef short ribs (which she loved) and D36 ordered the Monte Cristo. She only ate one of the 4 sections. I was really wishing I could somehow send the rest of it to my husband who is a Monte Cristo fan. He about died when I told him how she couldn't finish it after filling up on bread and gumbo, so it got tossed.

Overall, I enjoyed my experience more in April. I thought the chicken and the potatoes tasted better during that visit, plus I was with my husband.

Parting shots:

It was 1pm by this time and we decided to take a ride on Pirates.

Here's the menu hat that D36 and I wore for the rest of the day. There is a skull-n-crossbones on the front, but we both preferred the back, so we wore it that way. Many people asked where we got them, even a CM or two.

When we got off Pirates we had just enough time to get Mom back over to the Golden Horseshoe (I still want to add Review in there ) so she could enjoy another Billy Hill show.

The main Billy was different this time around. I preferred the main Billy from Monday's show. This time we had seats on the floor -- up front on the far left side. Once again Mom had lots of fun. She misses the good ol' Disneyland Days when there was all sorts of entertainment to be had. Back when I was a kid, the first thing my brothers and sisters and I would do was check the little board on the ticket booths that announced which rides were closed for the day. (What a sad day it was when we'd see POTC at the top of the list!) The first thing Mom and Dad did was check what the entertainment would be for the day. "Oh look! The Pointer Sisters are singing tonight!" (I remember them performing on one of the rafts.) So Billy Hill and the Hillbillies took her back to those days.

We headed over to Tomorrowland next.

My kids will love this.

We rode Buzz. I guess I don't have any pics.

On to Space Mountain Ghost Galaxy!

I love Space Mountain and was really excited about this overlay. For some reason the idea of this overlay didn't bother me. I thought it sounded like a fun change. All 4 of us rode. M48 hasn't done this one in years and years, but she was OK on the other rides so she decided to give this one a go too. We had FPs and our wait was about 10 minutes at 3pm. D36 and I got the very front seat. Love the front seat! I was right -- Ghost Galaxy WAS a fun change. I wouldn't want it to change over permanently, but it was fun for the Halloween season. Loved it!

D36 was feeling a bit queasy afterward, so we took a bit of a break. Actually she wanted a popcorn break. I thought the boxes were so cute!

I wanted to head down main Street in search of the Dapper Dans. I mainly wanted to hear them sing "Grim Grinning Ghosts." I wasn't sure exactly where they'd be, so we just headed that direction.

So true.

Not sure what I'm doing here. I guess I wanted another picture of my shirt???

M48 bought some fudge for us to share. Everyone sat down on the curb and I went to grab 4 plastic forks. We dug in.

I mentioned earlier in the TR that one of the things I wanted to remember from this trip was M48 eating fudge off of Main Street. Fudge that fell off my fork and into the street. I was going to pick it up and throw it away, but she beat me to it. Only she didn't throw it away.... I didn't get a picture of the actual eating off of Main Street, but this picture will help me remember the memory.

Up Next... Continuing my search for the Dapper Dans!

Old 11-22-2010, 01:18 AM   #218
deejdigsdis
I <3 Aglets

Well, I couldn't find the Dapper Dans on Main Street, so I walked over to Town Square. Took this pic on my way:

Finally, I found them. They were standing near City Hall. I called back to the others to say I found them, and then we went over to hear them sing.

There weren't many other listeners around. I was trying to take a picture of the Dans when out of the corner of my eye I saw this guy dancing right outside City Hall, just to the right of the Dans. He had seen me trying to get pictures and decided to give me something else to take a picture of, I guess. So I moved slightly to the right and took a picture of Random Dancing Guy:

It was so funny! The Dapper Dans actually stopped singing their song and one of them asked me, "Do you know that guy you just took a picture of?" I said, "No. He's just some Random Dancing Guy that seemed to want his picture taken..." Then the Dans started laughing.

Then they picked up with their song again -- which WASN'T "Grim Grinning Ghosts" by the way. They never did sing that one. After they were done performing one of the Dans came over to me and asked, "Can I see the picture of Random Dancing Guy?" So I showed him. Then I took a picture of him.

After fun times with the Dapper Dans, we decided to hang around and wait for the Flag Retreat Ceremony. It was our last chance to see it. I loved seeing it with my husband back in April, and I knew Mom would especially enjoy it as well.

Random waiting around pics:

The Dapper Dans sang. I prefer the retreat ceremony with the Disneyland Band because they play all the anthems from the different military branches, and invite guests who have served/are serving to stand when their anthem is played.

I couldn't help but wonder what kind of stories this older gentleman would tell if given the chance. I wondered if his story included time spent serving our country in the military. (I admit I'm completely basing this on his age and just watching his face during the flag retreat.)

The Flag Retreat Ceremony is SO worth the effort to see. There's nothing quite like singing "The Star-Spangled Banner" and saying the Pledge of Allegiance in Town Square at Disneyland.

Old 11-22-2010, 03:42 AM   #219
Markie Mouse
Mouseketeer

I love your TR, it inspired me to start my own in Dec. I love the pics and now I feel I have to attend a flag ceremony one of these days. Halloween has never been special to me but it looks like a good time at DLR, so maybe when my babies are older it would be a good idea to try it. Thanks for sharing!
Markie Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 06:36 AM   #220
tksbaskets
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by deejdigsdis View Post

Hey TK! I was in such a moseying around mode my last 2 trips that I couldn't help but notice stuff! So are you down to the 20s in your countdown yet? Wait, you're going after Christmas, huh? It will be here before you know it! I want time to slow down a bit. I love this time of year and it just goes by too fast. I might be thinking differently if I had a Disney trip on the horizon, though.

So lunch at Blue Bayou... we'll get to that tomorrow.
33 days!! I first saw your pic of the BB menu and said to myself "Deej must have a powerful flash!" Then I kept reading and found you were outside when you took it. That was one of the main problems we had with BB - we couldn't see to order or eat. Perhaps the ambiance is on purpose so you also don't focus on portion size per dollar spent

After dining there and at Cafe Orleans my family is glad we ate ONCE at BB and prefer go to CO or CC.

My hubby would have mourning the passing of 3 triangles of Monte Cristo too.

Still laughing about Random Dancing Guy. You are very entertaining!!
Old 11-22-2010, 10:27 AM   #221
deejdigsdis
I <3 Aglets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markie Mouse View Post
I love your TR, it inspired me to start my own in Dec. I love the pics and now I feel I have to attend a flag ceremony one of these days. Halloween has never been special to me but it looks like a good time at DLR, so maybe when my babies are older it would be a good idea to try it. Thanks for sharing!
Thank you! I'm glad you're enjoying the report. Doing a trip report is a really good way to re-live those memories. Especially if you come back with a case of the post-Disneyland blues like I do. Like I said, the Flag Retreat Ceremony is worth the effort. When my husband and I went to DL alone in April, we were only there for 2 afternoons and we made time for the ceremony both afternoons. Each was a bit different. It was a trip highlight for me.

My kids would love the Halloween Party. My 10 year old wants our next trip to be during Halloween Time so he can trick-or-treat and ride Space Mountain Ghost Galaxy. Halloween Time was very fun, but if I had to choose one time to go it would definitely be during the Christmas season. I've always preferred Christmas over Halloween. Thanks for reading.

Quote:
33 days!! I first saw your pic of the BB menu and said to myself "Deej must have a powerful flash!" Then I kept reading and found you were outside when you took it. That was one of the main problems we had with BB - we couldn't see to order or eat. Perhaps the ambiance is on purpose so you also don't focus on portion size per dollar spent

After dining there and at Cafe Orleans my family is glad we ate ONCE at BB and prefer go to CO or CC.

My hubby would have mourning the passing of 3 triangles of Monte Cristo too.

Still laughing about Random Dancing Guy. You are very entertaining!!
Hmmm...I didn't think about the portion size per dollar spent as a reason for the dimness! I've yet to try CO. I wanted to this trip but it didn't work out. Hopefully next time. I know we won't go to BB next time because it isn't a place I would take my kids right now. When they are older and their tastes expand a bit, yes I will take them. But until then...I will have to enjoy BB from the sidelines as I sail on by. Or go on another trip without them. But I want them with me the next time I go to DL. Two trips in a row without them was enough.

Glad you got a kick out of Random Dancing Guy! I STILL laugh every time I see that picture, and it's been almost a month ago now!

Things are shaping up to finish DAY 4 today, and then that leaves a partial day for Day 5. Kind of bittersweet to finish these things. OK, off to upload some more pictures!

Old 11-22-2010, 12:44 PM   #222
deejdigsdis
I <3 Aglets

So we just finished up with the Flag Retreat Ceremony. One last shot of flowers in Town Square before moving on...

We also stopped to get a group shot in front of the big Mickey Pumpkin. Non-winking side. We did this earlier in the week, but my camera battery died before the Photo Pass guy could take a picture. He got one with his camera and my sister's camera, so we had to make sure and go back so I could get one as well.

OK, let's put some Fast Passes to use!

I remember the wait was really short. This has been my best trip yet as far as Indy waits go. Speaking of Indy, my sisters were at Disneyland together years ago (without me!) and were walking by Indy before it was officially open. They were pulled in to take a test run on the ride.

Up next, the Jungle Cruise. One of my favorite parts of the ride...seeing the backside of water!

We had an excellent skipper. At the end of our cruise, instead of saying something like "please disembark" -- something along those lines -- he said, "Get out." The 4 of us just lost it and laughed and laughed. We were taken back to 1985 when my mom was getting out of the canoes. When we reached the dock the canoe CM simply said "Get out." My mom thought it was the funniest thing and started laughing like crazy and fell out of the canoe as she was trying to disembark. (Dockside, not waterside. ) She just laid there on the dock laughing and laughing. I'm sure any passers by would have thought she was a bit tipsy. The whole "get out" thing just struck her as really really funny and she lost control. Of course my teenage brothers inched their way away from her. They were horribly embarrassed. D36 and I, who were 11 and 12 at the time, didn't know enough to be embarrassed. We just thought it was funny that our mom was laying on the dock laughing, so we laughed right along with her. OK...back to 2010. When the skipper said "Get out" we all lost it. Not enough to collapse on the dock in fits of laughter, but we did seem to be the only ones laughing.

I took a picture of the skipper so we could remember him. He got embarrassed and looked away just as I snapped the picture.

Oh, and here's a cute joke. D36 has a friend who used to be a skipper on the Jungle Cruise. He told her one of the jokes he used to say on the ride: "You know how at the end of the Matterhorn ride they say, 'please remain seated with your seat belt fastened'? Do you know what they are saying right after that? (He was referring to the Spanish translation of Permanacer Sentados... Por Favor...) No? Nobody knows? They are saying 'Cinnamon toast and tacos...On the floor!'---------------------- OK, that has to be said just right to have it come across just right. I'm sure it loses something in me just typing it as opposed to a Jungle Cruise skipper saying it with the same inflection as the Matterhorn recording...but I thought it was funny.

We hit Pirates one last time before going to Rancho del Zocalo for dinner. (Is that what it's called? I'm feeling too lazy right now to go check.) This was a first for me. Growing up, our favorite nighttime restaurant was La Casa Mexicana which was located where RdZ is now. Anyway, a few pics...

I can't remember what this was called, but it wasn't quite as good as it looked. I will go back and try this place again, though.

Here's M48's dessert:

OK, I love chocolate. Love, love, love it! But one bite of this was enough for me. Too tasteless. The taste it did have was on the bitter cocoa-ish side, instead of the melt-in-your-mouth decadent chocolatey-side.

We enjoyed the ambiance here. We sat right by where the Big Thunder trains come in after their "wildest ride" -- and even saw one put to bed for the night. I thought I took a picture of the trains back in the ... hmmm. I don't know what that area is called. "Warehouse" comes to mind, but I know that's not it! Anyway, no pics of that.

OK. More later.

Old 11-22-2010, 01:27 PM   #223
tksbaskets
DIS Veteran

OK, now you've got me laughing about your mom laying on the dock at the end of her cruise "Get out"!

Hope that desert was as yummy as it looked
Old 11-22-2010, 04:57 PM   #224
deejdigsdis
I <3 Aglets

Quote:
OK, now you've got me laughing about your mom laying on the dock at the end of her cruise "Get out"!

Hope that desert was as yummy as it looked
My mom will never live that story down! 25 years later and we are still talking (and laughing) about it!

OK, let's finish up Day 4...

After dinner we (everyone except D36, for some reason) rode HMH. One last tour of the mansion at night, you could say. We met D36 outside when we were done, with the goal of heading to Big Thunder Mountain for our last ride of the night. We headed over there, and wouldn't you know it, we just missed getting in line before closing time. That's twice now. So we headed toward Main Street.

Crowds leaving the park:

Oooohhh...a light I don't have yet.

I wanted to get my last bit of shopping done tonight. First stop...

DS10 asked for a tin of truffles...just like the ones we picked up for my sisters a year ago. Grrr... They were nowhere to be found. So none of the treats that my kids asked for were around this trip. I did pick up some dark chocolate peanut cluster candies for my husband, though.

Here's a funny sight from the Candy Palace. Another colliding of holidays!

Now I was off to get the mug I had my eye on all week. I'll have to post a picture of that one later. I also wanted to get a new Christmas tree ornament. I ended up choosing a snowman head (I snowman tree ornaments) with a Mickey ears hat. I'll post a pic of that one after I hang it on the tree. It is still wrapped up. (Boy, they mean business when they wrap fragile things, don't they?!? The package I came away with seemed like it was 7 times bigger than the ornament I put up on the counter. So happy it made it home safe and sound.)

I'm sure we sauntered down Main Street, enjoying the lights on our way.

That concludes Day 4!

Old 11-22-2010, 07:39 PM   #225
Dizzy4DL
Dole Whip and a jalapeno pretzel? Don't mind if I do...

Loving your report! It's such a treat to read.

I know what you mean about wrapping fragile items. I bought a mug for a friend and when they were done wrapping, it was as big is a basketball! No kidding! My Mom was there and asked if their machine had broken.

Disney World - Pop Century April '14
Dizzy4DL is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: