Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-12-2010, 02:51 PM   #196
tksbaskets
DIS Veteran

For a dis-chick who isn't feeling well you treated us one heck of an installment! Hope you feel better soon. Some of that scrumptious soup would do it.

SOOOooo glad you shared a couple of interesting light photos. My DH and sons wonder why I look at the lights at DL and WDW so much now.... Hmmm
tksbaskets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 01:06 AM   #197
deejdigsdis
I <3 Aglets

DAY 2 -- Oct. 26th Cont.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tksbaskets View Post
For a dis-chick who isn't feeling well you treated us one heck of an installment! Hope you feel better soon. Some of that scrumptious soup would do it.

SOOOooo glad you shared a couple of interesting light photos. My DH and sons wonder why I look at the lights at DL and WDW so much now.... Hmmm
Thanks! Well, turns out I have strep throat. I've got a few doses of antibiotics under my belt, so I'm doing much better. Let's continue on...

So M48 stayed on a bench near the train station to rest, and the 3 of us went back to HoJo. I'm not one of those people that can sneak in a 23 minute rest and feel refreshed. Such a short rest would just make me feel sleepier in the long run. I did lay down, but there was no sleeping action going on for me. I wanted to be back at Disneyland at 5:30, so that's what we did.

Time to go to the party!

We got our wristbands after going through the turnstiles. I asked a CM if M48 would have to exit, then re-enter. That would have been a pain. (I had her party ticket.) Fortunately we were able to take care of her party entrance in front of the AP Processing Center, with no line. I was hoping that would be a sign of things to come, crowd -wise. Uhhhh...no. Backtracking a bit...after getting our wristbands, party guests entered on the right, while guests who were leaving went through the Town Hall side. We brought our own trick-or-treat bags, so we didn't have to make a stop at the bag-handout table. Next stop was to go wake up M48, who was sleeping on the bench. That's another thing I can't do. Just fall asleep in public places. We went over to get her ticket taken care of, and then we were good to go. We headed toward Frontierland. A ride on Big Thunder Mountain seemed like a good place to start, as there was no line. M48 sat this one out due to tailbone issues. We then headed over to the dock to get a picture with Capt. Jack Sparrow. They were still ready-ing the area. It didn't look like it would be much longer, and there were only a few people in line so we waited.

We ended up being in line for only 10 minutes. Not bad! A few pirate pics:

Not sure what he's doing with M48's candy corn hat!

In this picture with me, he had just gotten done biting my earring! Well, the earring on my Goofy pirate hat, that is. He asked if it was real gold, then stuck the thing in his mouth to see for himself. He didn't seem too pleased.

You can kind of get the idea of D36's hat...

Capt. Jack said to D36, "Did you know you have a rodent on your head? You need to be careful about that. Rodents will eat all the apples on your ship."

Riding POTC next seemed like the best thing to do. Another walk-on. Oh yeah, we were asked to show our wristbands as we walked from the dock to Pirates. For the second and last time that night. So for us, there was no checking 30 minutes after the start of the party.

We headed toward HMH next, catching these pics along the way...

I wish the creepy fog over the Rivers of America pics would have turned out better. It really was cool. In this next pic you can kind of see the thickness of the trick-or-treaters.

There were stations all along that area. You could walk up one side 'til you reached the end, then turn around and go back the other way. There were typically 2 CMs at each station. We figured the lines would shorten as the night wore on, so we kept walking and did HMH. The line was about 15 minutes long. Again, not bad.

We headed toward Fantasyland next, making a stop at the Halloween Tree on our way. So much more noticeable at night!

And on the walking area in front of the tree:

That skeleton spins, by the way.

We took the path through Frontierland past the Thunder Ranch area. It was really feeling crowded by this time, 1 1/2 hours into the party. There were a bunch of treat stations along that path, but most lines were long. We only got in a line if it was a really short wait. Like less than 10 people in front of us. It was weird how some stations would have looooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooong lines and other stations would just have looong lines.

Loved this Mickey Ghost we passed by on our way. Very Halloween-y!

More party to come...

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2342117
deejdigsdis is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-15-2010, 08:26 PM   #198
tksbaskets
DIS Veteran

I'm so glad you are feeling better! Strep throat is horrible and doubly so when it's the mom with strep. We moms don't get to take a sick day.

I love hearing about the party!! Your pictures are great. I like Jack's comment about the rodent eating the food on the ship.

Looking forward to more!
Old 11-16-2010, 01:57 AM   #199
deejdigsdis
I <3 Aglets

Quote:
I'm so glad you are feeling better! Strep throat is horrible and doubly so when it's the mom with strep. We moms don't get to take a sick day.

I love hearing about the party!! Your pictures are great. I like Jack's comment about the rodent eating the food on the ship.

Looking forward to more!
That is so true when moms get sick. It's just business as usual for us.

More about the party...

We went to Fantasyland. D36 wanted to ride the carousel. I love riding it at night.

M48 rode a horse next to Ursula. She enjoyed their conversation so we asked Ursula if we could take her picture before moving on.

I wish I would have taken more pics of the creative costumes we saw!

The castle looked so very cool:

Up next...Mr. Toad!

The party was going by so fast. Way too fast. 2 hours gone... 3 more to go. We rode Alice next.

It was close to 8:30 by this time. I wanted to go check out the scene in front of the castle, in terms of fireworks viewing. Halloween Screams would be starting at 9:30. We headed through the castle. The crowds were very disheartening. Everyone was getting hungry. We hadn't eaten anything since lunch with Chef Oscar. We went to Bengal BBQ. OK...huge line. D36 and Mom stayed to get our food. M48 and I went back over to grab a spot for the fireworks. I have to say now that the whole crowd thing was getting a bit frustrating. I must admit that my visions of what the party would be like crowd-wise was way off base. I didn't expect to be frolicking around in the park with just a thousand other people or anything. I think my expectations were realistic. I imagined to feel a noticeable difference in crowd levels between our days at Disneyland and our party night. In a good way. SOOO NOT TRUE! By this time we had spent all of Monday and Tuesday in the park, and now Tuesday night. The party night felt MUCH more crowded to us than the regular days we had experienced so far! Just not what I expected...

OK, so a CM helped us find a spot, which turned out to be a great spot. I just wasn't sure exactly where the sphere would be, how high it would be, etc. We asked for help and got it. A few front-of-the-castle photos while we waited for food and fireworks. (Say THAT 5 times fast. )

The spiders would crawl around. Pretty cool looking.

It was getting harder and harder to hold 2 spots as the crowds continued to make their way in. Finally, Mom and D36 came back bearing food, after waiting in line for a good 40 minutes. (That's another thing. If I ever do this again, dinner will be at 5:00. NOT during party time. I'm not sure what we were thinking.) We were all settled in, waiting for the show to start, and then a 10 foot tall guy stood in front of us. OK, not 10 feet tall. But tall! M48 spoke to him and he eventually moved over a bit, but then he was blocking someone else's view.

The fireworks were awesome! Unfortunately I don't have a single picture. I was eating my chicken skewer and my veggie skewer during the show, which was a tad messy. Plus we were in really close quarters.

OK, fireworks are over and it's nearly 10:00. Only 1 more hour! Where has the time gone? I have ONE HOUR to make good on my promise to my 3 sons: "I will bring you lots of candy from Disneyland! I promise!" A little hard to do when you are 4 hours into a 5 hour party and your bag looks like this:

Old 11-16-2010, 10:43 AM   #200
deejdigsdis
I <3 Aglets

DAY 2 -- Oct. 26th Cont.

Last update for Mickey's Halloween Party...

So we had one hour left, and nearly empty trick-or-treat bags. I know some people wondered why trick-or-treating was such a big deal to other people. Well -- it's trick-or-treating! And Disneyland! Two of my favorite childhood memories. Kind of like worlds colliding, but in a good way. Not in a George Costanza freaked out way. I heard, "Why not just go to Target and buy a few bags of candy?" more than once. For me, it wasn't so much about the candy itself. (I was passing most of that along to my kids.) It was an extension of feeling like a kid at Disneyland. Being there with just my mom and sisters made me feel like I was a kid again, in some respects. Being able to actually go trick-or-treating...something I haven't done since I was a kid...and doing that at Disneyland... It had its own sense of magic.

So off we went trick-or-treating. We headed to Innoventions first, as I knew there would be a Ghirardelli station. Things were looking good -- only saw a few people. Then we realized that we were going the wrong way (this area was just one-way). The line was so long! Not what I imagined toward the end of the night. But, what are you going to do? So we got in line. And yes, they did move pretty fast, but all this business of getting handfuls? Didn't apply to us. (Yeah, I know it wasn't about the candy itself. For me it wasn't. It WAS about the candy for my kids. )

Next we trick-or-treated on the old Motor Boat Cruise dock. (I know it wasn't the most exciting ride, but I still miss it.) No lines there.

It was getting close to Parade time. We originally had plans to see it from Main Street, but after taking our trick-or-treat situation into consideration, we decided to catch the parade at the end of the route by Small World.

Passing through the parade route on our way to trick-or-treat near Princess Fantasy Faire, we saw more festive projections.

Took care of some more t-o-t -ing then headed back to catch the parade in front of IASW.

A few parade pictures. Note to self: Figure out how to take good nighttime shots!

The parade was great! It definitely exceeded my expectations. I think they were smart in billing it as a "Character Cavalcade."

15 minutes to go until MHP is officially over. We headed back to the walkway between Fantasyland and Frontierland. There were tons of stations back there. Lines were definitely shorter than they were earlier. We went through that area, then the whole ROA area. It was so fun! You just gotta stop and look around and take it all in. Never ever did I imagine I would someday trick-or-treat at Disneyland! So -- with bags a bit fuller and heavier -- we headed back to BTMRR. That would have been the perfect way to end the night, but would we make it???

Alas, no we would not. When we thought we were home free, we saw the guy block off the entrance. The party was over.

We headed back to the hub. I think I forgot to mention that's where we left M48 after the fireworks. We found a nice family with a bench. They let M48 sit with them and wait for the parade to pass by. M48 just couldn't go on between her tailbone (which still hurts, by the way) and her blistered feet. So we picked her up and made our way down Main Street with the rest of the masses. Mom actually danced her way down Main Street to some Halloween song. I remember "Shake Your Bones" as part of its message...which Mom apparently took literally.

Arriving back at our room.

My loot:

Party Thoughts:

*I think they sold too many tickets. Overall it didn't feel like an exclusive event.

*5 hours didn't feel long enough. 6 hours would be better. An overnight party would have been best!

*We only did 6 rides. Wish we would have had time for more. But when I think about it, there's nothing that we DID do that I would have traded out for more rides.

*Definitely not wise to eat dinner during the party if you want to get a lot of stuff done without rushing. (I guess I would trade out eating during the party for more rides.)

*Riding the carousel at night while catching glimpses of all the party-goers in their costumes and the creepy castle was AMAZING. One of my favorite memories from the night.

*Halloween Screams and the Character Cavalcade were worth the effort to see. Excellent! (I guess we didn't really put any effort into seeing the parade. We just walked over to the end of the route when we heard it coming. Not crowded at all. I'm so glad we decided to see it this way instead of staking out a spot on Main Street.)

*Trick-or-treating at Disneyland...yeah, it really is all that.

*Would I do it again? ABSOLUTELY.

Old 11-16-2010, 11:45 AM   #201
tksbaskets
DIS Veteran

WOW your pictures are great. Parade action shots at night are difficult. I can't even get a castle pic to turn out at night and they aren't moving!

I feel like I was there with you. I liked your summary of the party.
Old 11-17-2010, 10:34 AM   #202
deejdigsdis
I <3 Aglets

Quote:
WOW your pictures are great. Parade action shots at night are difficult. I can't even get a castle pic to turn out at night and they aren't moving!

I feel like I was there with you. I liked your summary of the party.
Thanks for hanging in there with me! I know this is dragging on and on and on. If it weren't for you chiming in I would feel like I'm talking to myself...even though I know I'm not. Anyway...I'm working on pics for Day 3 right now.

Old 11-17-2010, 10:44 AM   #203
eeyore7360nc
DIS Veteran

I really enjoyed seeing the Halloween party pictures. I have been to Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween party the last 2 years and it is nice to be able to compare the two parties. I may have to go west to try out the Disneyland version.
Old 11-17-2010, 11:12 AM   #204
deejdigsdis
I <3 Aglets

Quote:
Originally Posted by eeyore7360nc View Post
I really enjoyed seeing the Halloween party pictures. I have been to Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween party the last 2 years and it is nice to be able to compare the two parties. I may have to go west to try out the Disneyland version.
So glad to see you're still around eeyore. What kind of differences are there between the 2? Does it feel less crowded than a regular day? I was so shocked by how crowded it was/felt compared to our days. I remember reading that the MNSSHP had more of a "real" parade as well.

Still working on Day 3 pictures...

Old 11-17-2010, 11:33 AM   #205
eeyore7360nc
DIS Veteran

The Boo to You parade is great. They have characters from the Haunted Mansion "come to life" and a lot of characters in their Halloween costumes.
The only time it felt really crowded was for the parade and Hallowishes fireworks. About the only thing we stood in line for was for a picture with all seven of the dwarves. Almost all the rides were walk ons.
Old 11-17-2010, 12:21 PM   #206
deejdigsdis
I <3 Aglets

Quote:
The Boo to You parade is great. They have characters from the Haunted Mansion "come to life" and a lot of characters in their Halloween costumes.
The only time it felt really crowded was for the parade and Hallowishes fireworks. About the only thing we stood in line for was for a picture with all seven of the dwarves. Almost all the rides were walk ons.
Oooohhh, I'd love to see Haunted Mansion characters come to life. Sounds like a nice party!

Old 11-17-2010, 12:53 PM   #207
deejdigsdis
I <3 Aglets

DAY 3 -- Wednesday Oct. 27th

We decided when we got home from the party that it might be best for us to sleep in on Wednesday. We didn't set any alarms or anything. Kind of a dangerous thing in hotel rooms...given how it can seem like 4am when it's really noon with those heavy curtains and all.

And sleep in we did! Disneyland opened at 9am. I think it was around 11:30 or noon when we finally got over there. M48 wanted to pop into The Disney Gallery, so that was our first stop.

Thought this was amusing. The 1986 part.

This is so true for me...

Here's something that I need to be reminded of often...Disneyland wasn't meant to remain the same forever.

Hello old friends...

"The Bench" where it all started...

I love this one...

I'm glad we took the time to go through the gallery. So many cool things to see in there. I Disneyland.

OK. We were definitely overdue for lunch by this time. We decided to go to one of our favorite lunch spots -- the Hungry Bear. I ordered a chicken sandwich. It was pretty good.

I especially love getting a table by the water and watching the Mark Twain sail by.

Let's take a closer look at some of the happy people in that last picture...

After lunch we wandered over to Haunted Mansion.

Then we decided to take the train over to Tomorrowland. Waiting in line for the train wasn't all that fun. I guess because there was actually a line. I haven't stood in line for the train since the '90s. Recent trips have always been walk right up and just get on the train if it's there, or get on the next one that pulls in. At least 2 trains passed us by. Maybe even 3. The whole reason for riding the train was to save M48's feet/tailbone.

Random in line pic.

As we waited in line I admit I was starting to feel a bit antsy. I checked the time and realized my kids were out of school and I had only 1 ride under my belt for the day.

Old 11-18-2010, 01:07 PM   #208
tksbaskets
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I agree. I loved the Boo to You parade especially the headless horseman that rides before the parade.
Old 11-18-2010, 01:15 PM   #209
tksbaskets
DIS Veteran

WAhoo! A great trip through the Disney Gallery - I loved the Yesterday, Today, and Tomorrow plaques. Next we were treated to lunch somewhere I've never been and a turn through the Haunted Mansion Holiday.
Only one ride?? You did laze about this morning.

Where are we going next??
Old 11-19-2010, 12:01 PM   #210
deejdigsdis
I <3 Aglets

DAY 3 -- Wednesday Oct. 27th Cont.

Quote:
WAhoo! A great trip through the Disney Gallery - I loved the Yesterday, Today, and Tomorrow plaques. Next we were treated to lunch somewhere I've never been and a turn through the Haunted Mansion Holiday.
Only one ride?? You did laze about this morning.

Where are we going next??
Well, since you asked... we are riding the train to Tomorrowland and then catching a ride on Autopia!

I know a lot of people skip over this one, but even kid-less I need to ride it. I sure missed having my 4 year old next to me, though. Squealing such a happy squeal.

(Anyone remember the Fantasyland Autopia?)

Mom had a lot of trouble with her car. She stalled a total of 13 times. But she was always able to start it up again.

A picture of "M's Trees." (M as in my older sister.) She's always loved this clump of trees.

From here we went to the subs. Wouldn't really be my first pick for that time of day, but we were right there. Actually our wait was only 15 minutes, so it was fine.

These bubbles are so deceiving. I don't even want to admit my age when I finally realized that we weren't actually descending deep below the surface! Actually I'm not sure of the exact age. I do know I was far too old, though. I guess that "magic" just stayed with me from the time I was a little girl riding the old gray submarine voyage.

And speaking of the old subs... scenes like this make me feel like I am still riding it.

We completed our voyage and began to disembark. As D36 was walking by the CM in the middle of the sub...you know, the one where all you see is his legs? She couldn't resist and actually reached out to grab his legs! She called up to him, "Does anyone ever reach out and grab your legs as they walk by?" He said, "All the time!"

Moving on to Captain EO.

I was kind of on the fence about seeing this one. I watched it when it came out in the mid 80s, but I remember absolutely nothing about it. So I didn't have that nostalgic pull to see it again. D36 really wanted to see it, though, so we all went. I'm glad I went but I don't feel the need or desire to see it again. Nothing was familiar to me, and the 3-D effect seemed to be off. I had to hold the glasses way out in front of me and it still kind of hurt my eyes.

From here we hopped on the Monorail and rode to DTD. The plan was to walk through DTD and then spend the last couple of hours at DCA. I had to pop into the Lego store for the sake of my 3 Lego Maniac Boys.

More signs of Halloween:

(It feels kind of funny posting Halloween stuff while I'm listening to Christmas music. Yep, I broke my "No Christmas music before Thanksgiving" rule.)

We decided to hit Soarin' first. D36 and M48 were worried about this one, from a motion sickness standpoint. Our nearly 72 year old mother wasn't worried. In case you haven't noticed...she does everything ride-wise! Anyway, I told my sisters I can do Soarin' just fine, but I haven't been able to do Star Tours for years. I told them they could always close their eyes or look off to the side if that yucky feeling started coming on.

So we were off! I'm sad to report that I broke my streak. My streak of never having stood in this line for more than 3 minutes, that is. Get this... I actually had to stand in line for 5 MINUTES! The nerve! It was 6:00 on a Wednesday evening and we didn't have FPs either. Crazy. Anyway, the ride was a big hit with all. D36 was feeling the yuckiness come on at the very end and needed to rest when we got out, but everyone was glad they went. Soarin' in DCA is my Pirates in Disneyland. Meaning, if I went to DCA and could only ride one ride, Soarin' would definitely be the one.

While D36 was resting, we had Mom stand by the old gas pumps and pose while we took pictures of her with her hat hair. (When she removed her Mickey baseball cap for Soarin' we all got a good laugh out of her stylin' hair.) She was a very good sport and obliged her daughters' request.

I thought a ride on Heimlich's Chew Chew Train would be a nice calm ride so we headed over there.

OK, these signs of Christmas were not up 2 days ago when we passed through to see Aladdin!

I remember we stopped at that cute Kleenex box restroom and then got a churro before riding Heimlich. The whole reason I took this next picture was because I was really missing my kids.

Last year, my littlest guy who was 3 at the time, thought this sign meant "No Dancing Allowed" and "You're Not Allowed To Wear Seat Belts."

D36 and M48 wanted to ride Mickey's Fun Wheel. I thought about riding TSMM while they rode the wheel, but I couldn't bring myself to stand in that long of a line by myself. No one else was interested in riding that one. So Mom and I just sat and enjoyed the Pier and the lights while we waited.

Up next... California Screamin'! M48 hasn't been able to do coasters of any kind for around 20 years, so it was a really big deal that she rode Big Thunder, Matterhorn, etc. And now she was up for trying Screamin' since the others weren't giving her any motion sickness troubles. So again, all 4 of us rode. I realized that I've only ridden this one at night. (In my whole 3 times of riding it. I can only handle it once, which is sad to me because it's exactly the kind of roller coaster I would have spent all day on in my teen years. Surprisingly, though, I didn't get a headache this time as opposed to my other 2 times.)

Our ride picture was so funny. None of them knew a picture would be taken. My mom totally looked like she was taking a nap. M48 looked like she was nonchalantly cleaning her teeth with her tongue, doing it in a way that would be inconspicuous. D36 looked like she was enjoying an afternoon stroll on the beach. I was my normal "squinty so my contacts don't dry out and fly off my eyeballs" self.

So mom and I handled this one just fine. The other 2 were feeling a little icky, D36 more so than M48. D 36 was ready to call it a night. It was about 7:30 by this time. Closing time was 8:00. D36 headed back to Disneyland to clean out our locker and just sit on Main Street.

Mom, M48 and I went to ride GRR. We waited until the end for this one so we wouldn't have to walk around in wet clothes for long. Of course it was a walk-on. A little 7 year old boy joined us. Apparently his mom told him to try to ride with us because we looked like nice ladies. She was sitting out with a baby. I have a 7 year old boy so of course having this little guy ride with us and "showing us the ropes" (even though I had ridden before) reminded me of my own 7 year old. It was a fun ride and we didn't get nearly as soaked as we had envisioned.

DCA closing time. We danced our way out of the gates to California Dreamin' by The Mamas and The Papas. A perfect way to end our DCA evening. We met up with D36 who apparently really enjoyed some alone time on Main Street. Let's just say the wheels began turning for an AP upgrade... Sitting on Main Street in Disneyland is therapeutic, I tell you!

And that concludes DAY 3!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: