Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-04-2010, 12:31 PM   #166
deejdigsdis
I <3 Aglets

Day 1 -- Monday Oct. 25th Continued...

Quote:
Originally Posted by eeyore7360nc View Post
Just finished reading your 3-in1 trip report. I am enjoying seeing the differences in WDW and DL at Halloween. BTW don't kid yourself, you are a photographer.
Thanks. You made my morning.

Have you ever been to Disneyland? I enjoy hearing the comparisons between the 2 in general. I've never been to WDW.

OK, so we got even more excited as we circled the park in the train. If that was even possible. It was interesting to see that IASW had already been drained. Today was the first day of its closure in preparation for IASW-Holiday. When we rode the train another day we noticed that the lights had been put up. I was amazed at the changes that took place overnight.

Back to Halloween Time. We got off the train on Main Street and headed over to the Fire Station.

My mom and sisters don't remember ever having gone inside, so we did that.

Took a few pics, and then made our way down Main Street. Of course I had to check out a few more window displays...

I Spy With My Little Eye... me. 4 times.

As we made our way down Main Street I noticed that my favorite spot was available. The Front Porch. There are 4 seats up there - 2 single chairs and a bench. We just hung out on the porch for a while and people watched. (I must be driving some hard-core-pack-in-all-the-rides-you-can-in-the-first-2-hours-of-the-day people nuts with my moseyings. Hmmmm. Apparently moseyings isn't a word.)

Finally we were off to ride Indy. A shot of the Ride Board on our way...

We hop in line for Indy and keep walking and walking and walking. 7 minutes. That's how long our wait was. I love this ride. I noticed that I always have a big smile on my face throughout the ride. My mom was able to handle it just fine, but D36 was in need of food after the ride. She just needed to get something in her stomach. River Belle Terrace was on our list of places to eat, and there was no time like the present. There was a very short line and we were able to snag a table with a great view.

This is what I had. I think it was called the Mark Twain.

It was very relaxing. I'm not a fan of the eggs I've had at Disneyland. These were a little better than the ones I had at Carnation Cafe. Maybe because of the bit of salt and lots of pepper I added this time. The potatoes were really good, though. Bacon and biscuit were fine. M48 got pancakes and fed some to the little birds that were perched on the wall next to our table. They seemed to love the pancakes, but like me, were not fans of the eggs. I also had hot chocolate. It was really good, but HOT. Very hot. I burned my tongue and had that prickly burned tongue feeling for 4 days.

After breakfast we headed straight to Pirates. I discovered during my last trip that this is my favorite ride. For years I couldn't answer the question "What is your favorite ride at Disneyland?" In April I realized it's Pirates of the Caribbean. If I went to Disneyland and could only ride one ride -- this would be it. (Hopefully I will never be put in a situation to choose only 1 ride, though. )

Next up...Haunted Mansion. The Holiday version. The version I experienced for the first time a year ago. The version I pretty much despised and dubbed The Impostor. Well. Guess what? This time I actually liked it. Not just tolerated it, but enjoyed it. *GASP* I know. I couldn't believe it myself. I was not expecting such a shift. I was expecting M48 to hate it. She's even more of a Disneyland purist than I am. Her Disneyland memories go way back to 1964 when my dad said to my mom, "How would you like to go to Anaheim for vacation?" Mom - "Anaheim? Why would I want to go to Anaheim? What's in Anaheim?" She soon found out and they were hooked. It's amazing what M48 remembers from that first visit when she wasn't even 3 years old yet. So, I thought she'd hate HMH. I was wrong. She enjoyed it and thought it was very well done. Not the response I was expecting at all. (None of us have seen Nightmare Before Christmas, by the way. Never really had the desire before, but now I do.)

OK, getting too wordy. Pictures...

And M48's cute earrings that she wore every day.

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2342117
deejdigsdis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 01:45 PM   #167
Goofy_Mom
Disney Princess

The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-04-2010, 02:14 PM   #168
tksbaskets
DIS Veteran

Enjoying being along for your trip.

We love both WDW and DL. In my 'WDW Family heads West" trip report I do give some comparisons.

Looking forward to more!
tksbaskets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 05:26 PM   #169
eeyore7360nc
DIS Veteran

I have been to DL a few times. There are a few things like POTC and Space Mountain that I like better at DL. They recently added "music" to Space Mountain in WDW, but it was more Muzak than rock and roll.
Old 11-04-2010, 06:49 PM   #170
deejdigsdis
I <3 Aglets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goofy_Mom View Post
Yay! Glad to have you along.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tksbaskets View Post
Enjoying being along for your trip.

We love both WDW and DL. In my 'WDW Family heads West" trip report I do give some comparisons.

Looking forward to more!
Hey TK! I was just thinking about you this morning. (I know...how stalker-ish of me. ) My thought process went something like this... I can't believe it was a year ago that I finally went back to Disneyland and took my kids...I loved going at Christmas time...I spent a lot of time reading TRs after we got back, so others' Christmas-time TRs...I remembered your TR...then I remembered that you are going to WDW this Dec. Is that still the plan? Anyway, thanks for checking in.

Quote:
I have been to DL a few times. There are a few things like POTC and Space Mountain that I like better at DL. They recently added "music" to Space Mountain in WDW, but it was more Muzak than rock and roll.
You know, I've heard that comparison a lot. That people tend to enjoy DLs POTC more than WDW's POTC. The Muzak in Space Mountain...that's funny!

Well, off to upload more pictures to photobucket. I'll be back with another update tonight.

Old 11-04-2010, 08:52 PM   #171
tksbaskets
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by deejdigsdis View Post
Hey TK! I was just thinking about you this morning. (I know...how stalker-ish of me. ) My thought process went something like this... I can't believe it was a year ago that I finally went back to Disneyland and took my kids...I loved going at Christmas time...I spent a lot of time reading TRs after we got back, so others' Christmas-time TRs...I remembered your TR...then I remembered that you are going to WDW this Dec. Is that still the plan? Anyway, thanks for checking in.
Not stalker-like at all I'm here reading your trip report aren't I so what does that make me??

Yes, WDW is in our future. 12/26-1/2. We're staying at the Villas at Wilderness Lodge (much like the Grand Californian Hotel) We are hoping the flight costs come down. Right now we could fly to California for the same price.

When is your next trip? (So I can stalk for your trip report!)
tksbaskets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 01:52 AM   #172
deejdigsdis
I <3 Aglets

Quote:
Originally Posted by tksbaskets View Post
Not stalker-like at all I'm here reading your trip report aren't I so what does that make me??

Yes, WDW is in our future. 12/26-1/2. We're staying at the Villas at Wilderness Lodge (much like the Grand Californian Hotel) We are hoping the flight costs come down. Right now we could fly to California for the same price.

When is your next trip? (So I can stalk for your trip report!)
I think we are all a bunch of closet stalkers here on the DIS! I'm excited to follow your post-Christmas adventure. As far as the "when" for our next trip... too far in the future. Over the summer I asked my 3 boys if they wanted to go next year, or wait until 2012 when Cars Land is up and running. They chose a 2012 trip. So that's the plan for now.

OK, between the boards going down tonight and being distracted by tksbaskets latest TR (), I don't have much of an update tonight. Mostly pictures of treats in Pooh Corner.

After leaving Haunted Mansion we headed over to Pooh. I was excited to show everyone Melvin, Buff and Max, our old friends that survived the Country Bear Jamboree demolition. I love seeing those hidden treasures that get saved.

According to my pictures, we were sailing in a Splash Mountain log within 10 minutes of riding Pooh. D36 got soaked the worst, since she was up front.

Next up was a visit to Pooh Corner. I wanted to make sure that the one treat my little 4 year old guy asked me to bring home to him was there. He had originally asked for a Tigger Tail, which he loves. Then they had to go and change them... GRRRR. They just don't even look good anymore. I showed him a picture and he didn't want one of the new ones. I showed him some other pics people had posted of Pooh Corner treats. He chose a pretzel rod dipped in caramel, dipped in chocolate, dipped in M&Ms. He has been calling it the M&M Tigger Tail ever since. So that's what I was on the lookout for. Disappointment set in as I realized they weren't making it. I'm pretty sure this was taking its place during Halloween Time:

Yuck. This just does not look good. (Now that I get a closer look, I see these ones are on marshmallows. The pretzel rod ones are on the plate in a pic below.)

Here are some other pics of more appetizing Pooh Corner treats:

Mmmmmmm. I really wanted to eat this huge chocolate chip in the cookie on the right.

We always got these kind of suckers when I was little. These and something called Donald Duck Fudge.

Now for some things that are really cute, but not all that appetizing to me.

OK, so these ones are cute and tasty-looking...

At some point I had gotten Splash Mountain FPs. After Pooh Corner we went back on Splash and used our FPs. Might as well get right back on while we're wet. 30 minute stand-by line, less than 5 minute FP line.

Time for a bathroom break. I'm so glad they still have this sign even though Trixie is no longer around.

And just a funny thing we want to remember... when we headed into the restroom M48 saw this sign:

...and said, "Oh, isn't it nice that they have the bathroom sign in braille..."

After a moment or two she realized it was not a braille bathroom sign after all. Then we saw this:

...the real braille bathroom sign. It was just funny. (Maybe it was one of those "you had to be there" moments. )

More tomorrow.

Last edited by deejdigsdis; 11-05-2010 at 02:03 AM.
Old 11-05-2010, 12:57 PM   #173
deejdigsdis
I <3 Aglets

So it's 1pm by this time. Let's see...the park's been open for 5 hours now. We've got 7 rides under our belts. In 5 hours. As a teen I would have been over such a statistic. But it's all good.

Off we go to Big Thunder Mountain Railroad. Part of me still classifies this as a "new" ride. This is my favorite of all the Mountain rides. That train whistle brings back really good memories of riding the ride and eating at La Casa Mexicana at night (which was located where The Impostor Mexican restaurant is now). And I can't tell you how many times "Hold onto your hats and glasses, 'cause this here's the Wildest Ride in the Wilderness" has come up in conversation. Let's get to the pictures...

During my last trip I focused on getting pictures of the various lanterns, lamps and light fixtures around Disneyland. I got a few this trip, but as I was going through my pictures, I realized not nearly enough.

Thunder Mountain on the go...

This was supposed to be one of many Big Thunder rides this trip. I think I only rode it twice when we took the kids a year ago, and it was under refurb when my husband and I went in April. So this trip was going to pack a lot of Thunder Mountain punch. "Was" is the keyword. Didn't happen.

Old 11-05-2010, 05:09 PM   #174
Sherry E
Willing victim of the Disney Snowball Effect...
Okay so after a coffee and lunch break I am back!

DISboards Moderator

Aha! I'm glad to see you are coming around on the subject of Haunted Mansion Holiday!! You're starting to appreciate it!! Infidel!

If I recall, I think it was Bumbershoot who also didn't care for HMH too much at first, but I think it's grown on her a little bit! I think she still has issues with it, but she doesn't dislike it.

I like the original Haunted Mansion, of course, because that's the one I grew up with. That's the one I was afraid to ride when I was really little, and then it finally grew on me and I loved it. But I must say, I don't miss it when I go to DLR and ride HMH. I never think to myself, "Gee, I wish the original HM were running now." Maybe if I went to DLR again in summer or some other time that's not a holiday season (which will likely not happen), I would miss the original one and really feel its loss. I think, in my mind, I probably associate the original HM more with summer because we always used to make summer trips to DL before I discovered that I loved Christmastime more!!

So when I go for Halloween and Christmastime, I feel like HMH is a big part of the festivities. Now it would seem odd to me if HMH were NOT on the agenda for either holiday. I'm so used to it. But if I suddenly went back to DLR in the middle of July or something, maybe I would be longing for the original 999 ghosts!

Next year is the HMH's 10th anniversary, I think. That should be fun!

I know what you mean about that feeling when you know you are at DLR. I don't know what it is now for me - I will have to figure that out in December when I go - but when I was a kid, it was seeing the Matterhorn (and later Space Mountain) from the freeway - that was such a feeling of euphoria because I knew we were fast approaching the Magic Kingdom! And then, once we got out of the car in the enormous parking lot, seeing the tram made me giddy! To me, the tram was like a little ride all on its own! I loved it! And finally, holding the ticket books with the A - E tickets in it really was what sealed the deal. Once I held the ticket book in my hand, then I knew I was at Disneyland!!

Was Tksbaskets reading along back when I mentioned her (in regards to the Halloween vs. Christmas subject)? She never jumped in to say anything about that!!

Pumpkins, Peppermint, Pastels and...Club 33!!! - (A new chapter begins... Many photos and wacky tales, coming soon to a Trip Report thread near you!)
And for some non-holiday seaside fun in the sun ~~ 2012 Catalina Island/Avalon Trip Report - My Solo Day Trip, in Photos (LOTS of Photos!)- 7/21/12 & Highlights from 2013 & 2014
Sherry E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 12:27 AM   #175
deejdigsdis
I <3 Aglets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherry E View Post
Aha! I'm glad to see you are coming around on the subject of Haunted Mansion Holiday!! You're starting to appreciate it!! Infidel!

If I recall, I think it was Bumbershoot who also didn't care for HMH too much at first, but I think it's grown on her a little bit! I think she still has issues with it, but she doesn't dislike it.

I like the original Haunted Mansion, of course, because that's the one I grew up with. That's the one I was afraid to ride when I was really little, and then it finally grew on me and I loved it. But I must say, I don't miss it when I go to DLR and ride HMH. I never think to myself, "Gee, I wish the original HM were running now." Maybe if I went to DLR again in summer or some other time that's not a holiday season (which will likely not happen), I would miss the original one and really feel its loss. I think, in my mind, I probably associate the original HM more with summer because we always used to make summer trips to DL before I discovered that I loved Christmastime more!!

So when I go for Halloween and Christmastime, I feel like HMH is a big part of the festivities. Now it would seem odd to me if HMH were NOT on the agenda for either holiday. I'm so used to it. But if I suddenly went back to DLR in the middle of July or something, maybe I would be longing for the original 999 ghosts!

Next year is the HMH's 10th anniversary, I think. That should be fun!

I know what you mean about that feeling when you know you are at DLR. I don't know what it is now for me - I will have to figure that out in December when I go - but when I was a kid, it was seeing the Matterhorn (and later Space Mountain) from the freeway - that was such a feeling of euphoria because I knew we were fast approaching the Magic Kingdom! And then, once we got out of the car in the enormous parking lot, seeing the tram made me giddy! To me, the tram was like a little ride all on its own! I loved it! And finally, holding the ticket books with the A - E tickets in it really was what sealed the deal. Once I held the ticket book in my hand, then I knew I was at Disneyland!!

Was Tksbaskets reading along back when I mentioned her (in regards to the Halloween vs. Christmas subject)? She never jumped in to say anything about that!!
I figured you might have something to say about my seemingly abrupt change in feelings toward HMH. Don't get me wrong...my heart will always belong to the original!

I'm anxious to hear what your "moment" is...as far as knowing you are THERE when you go next month. I remember noticing the Matterhorn from the freeway as well. And that large Disneyland sign. Oh, the ticket books... as nostalgic as they are, that's one change I welcome! I saw the cutest little notepad at The Star Trader that I forgot to go back and get. It was an A - E ticket book. So cute! Probably too cute to actually use. It was only $5-ish.

Yeah, I don't think tksbaskets had joined in yet when we were talking about her.

Old 11-06-2010, 12:37 AM   #176
eeyore7360nc
DIS Veteran

Great pics on BTMRR. Maybe next time I can let go of the bar and get some of my own.
Old 11-06-2010, 12:57 AM   #177
deejdigsdis
I <3 Aglets

(I wonder how many Day 1 -- Monday Oct. 25th Continued titles I will be using???)

We came out of Thunder Mountain around 1:15pm. Just in time to catch the Billy Hill and the Hillbillies 1:30 show. I had only seen it once -- the Christmas show last year. I knew this would be something my mom would love. So the plan was to grab a snack and enjoy the show. D36 and I seem to have this knack of getting in the wrong line. The line that looks the shortest but ends up taking the longest amount of time. True to form, that's what we did at the Golden Horseshoe. (Side note: I did that again the other day at the grocery store. I thought I was so clever getting in the line with only 1 person while all the other lines had 4 or 5 people in them. This line wasn't as noticeable. You had to walk past the other registers to get to this one. Anyway, 25 MINUTES LATER it was finally my turn to check out. I kept thinking that as soon as I got out of line I would wish I just stayed. It was ridiculous.) OK, so my mom saved a table up top for us while we got the ice cream. Man, that line was our longest line of the day up to this point. 20 minutes and there were maybe 4 people in front of us. Everyone except for me got ice cream. I wasn't hungry enough to eat a whole thing of ice cream as well as the included cookies. I ended up just getting a cookie on a plate and scooping some of M48's ice cream on top of my cookie. I don't have ice cream pics, but here are a couple of Billy pics...

I was right. My mom was a huge fan. She was clapping and hootin' and hollerin'. Especially when they played "Ghost Riders in the Sky." She got so into it. I pulled out the entertainment schedule to see when we could fit another show in for Mom's sake.

After our nice break -- from our exhausting 8-rides-in-6-hours day -- we moved along and made our way to the Halloween Tree.

I loved seeing these "natural" signs of fall. Nobody put them there to enhance Halloween Time at Disneyland. They were just there.

Faces from the Halloween Tree:

Then the store displays caught our eye.

And meet Creepy Pumpkin Guy. D36 took a picture of me cozying up to him and I sent it to my husband with a message of "Jealous?" He promptly replied "What's he got that I ain't got?"

Up next... our wanderings around Big Thunder Ranch.

Old 11-06-2010, 01:21 AM   #178
deejdigsdis
I <3 Aglets

Quote:
Great pics on BTMRR. Maybe next time I can let go of the bar and get some of my own.
Thanks! Yeah, I can't quite do that on Space Mountain yet.

Old 11-06-2010, 01:36 AM   #179
deejdigsdis
I <3 Aglets

We headed over to the Halloween Roundup at Big Thunder Ranch. I was excited to see all the amazing pumpkins. Fall is my favorite season and I love love love all the decor that goes along with it, so I was excited to see what they did with Big Thunder Ranch along those lines.

This was one of my favorites. Loved this!

Just a bunch of random pumpkin-and-autumn pictures!

I thought the teeny-tiny Mickey ghosts were so cute in this one. You can see where one of the Mickey ears (orange pipe cleaners) fell out on one side of that jack-o-lantern sitting on the fence.

I couldn't believe the talent of whoever creates these. The attention to detail is incredible! And this isn't the end...gotta go upload some more.

Old 11-06-2010, 09:46 AM   #180
jnjusoioa
I fell in love with DLR, whats not to love. Fantasyland, Toontown, Nemo and so much more. Both parks and DTD are full of little Disney touches that make it truly Walt's park. Mickey Pretzels, Mickey Gingerbreads, Mickey pancaks. Yummy. It is truly th

Your trip report is so making me want to go to Disneyland next year for Halloween!!! Can't wait to see more!!!
jnjusoioa is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: