Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-04-2010, 01:27 AM   #151
deejdigsdis
I <3 Aglets

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelmel View Post
Amazing trip report.. I really enjoyed it You are a fantastic photographer! I am amazed at the quality of your photo's from a camera that you said cost, what, $200? Wow, I wish I would have made that choice. We got the Cannon SI3 or something and it absolutely REEKS compared to your shots. And, I believe we paid almost $400 for it. Sad. I went to the high tech consumer sites and made all the comparison charts and .... *sigh* I love your pics and camera. Thank you so much for taking and sharing
WOW! Thank you so much! Not sure if I've ever been referred to as a "photographer" before. I know nothing about photography. I really enjoy a great photograph and think, "I wish I knew how to do that.." but then reality kicks in and I realize I don't think I have the patience to learn. If I don't have the patience to actually sit down and read the manual that came with my point and shoot camera, I doubt I would have the patience to focus and learn the necessary photography techniques to justify the cost of getting a nice camera. Who knows... maybe someday.

Anyway, another picture to share...

We are rearranging the kids' sleeping arrangements. DS4 has been saying for months..."Mom, why are there 2 dudes in your bedroom {referring to me and my husband!} and 2 dudes in {DS7 and DS10} room, and only 1 dude in my room? I want 2 dudes, too." More recently it has been, "Mom, why are there 2 peeps in your room, 2 peeps in my bros' room, and only 1 peep in my room? When can there be another peep in my room?" Well, given that there isn't another baby on the horizon, we decided to switch the boys around. DS4 is moving in with DS7, and DS10 will take DS4's old room. It needed a new paint job, though. I painted it yellow when DS4 was a baby. It was overdue for something more older boy-ish. DS10 picked out a bright blue color and we began painting last week. One day my mind was on something other than getting the job done. Hmmmm...

Can't wait! It's really sneaking up on me.

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2342117
deejdigsdis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 10:10 AM   #152
deejdigsdis
I <3 Aglets

How about this for a blast from the past... August 1979. Kind of creepy.

Well, I should be packing. I should be over the top excited. I should be counting down the days. I always know what my countdown is -- but that's not the case this time. I hadn't even realized I'd hit single digits. My thoughts are consumed with wondering why I am feeling numbness in my feet, that has moved to my legs, that has moved to my right arm, that has moved to my lower back, that moved into my chin for a brief moment yesterday and into my lips for a brief moment this morning. None of it is constant by any means. It hasn't been debilitating in any way. But it has been scary. MRI is tomorrow.

|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-19-2010, 03:34 PM   #153
travelmel
Blue Banana Vacation Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by deejdigsdis View Post
How about this for a blast from the past... August 1979. Kind of creepy.

Well, I should be packing. I should be over the top excited. I should be counting down the days. I always know what my countdown is -- but that's not the case this time. I hadn't even realized I'd hit single digits. My thoughts are consumed with wondering why I am feeling numbness in my feet, that has moved to my legs, that has moved to my right arm, that has moved to my lower back, that moved into my chin for a brief moment yesterday and into my lips for a brief moment this morning. None of it is constant by any means. It hasn't been debilitating in any way. But it has been scary. MRI is tomorrow.
That picture is awesome! I hope your MRI goes incredibly well and that you are clear to enjoy yourself planning and countdown as previously planned!

The Flippant Trip: Disneyland and DCA Summer CLICK ME

Twilight Prom Party Post & Subsequent mini-TR(pg 19-21)CLICK ME

Psst...take a listen to.... http://www.jackiegreene.com/
Think of Springsteen, Tom Petty, or Bob Dylan, only with a great singing voice.

"He Dazzles Me Frequently"

{Muzak playing} Please hold while your party is connected. {more muzak} We're sorry... your party is temporarily too fat in the bandwidth to answer this siggie. Your call is very important to her. When she gets done applying her sparkle cream and sweating her Mii down to a reasonable size she will be back with her regular silliness. {muzak followed by a brief interuption where you think your party will answer then....} Please continue to hold. {resume muzak}

In danger of having my Wish Membership revoked! Does my siggie make me look fat?? : wishmember
travelmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 01:12 AM   #154
deejdigsdis
I <3 Aglets

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelmel View Post
That picture is awesome! I hope your MRI goes incredibly well and that you are clear to enjoy yourself planning and countdown as previously planned!
Thank You. Now the waiting game begins... I am leaving tomorrow to spend a few days with my husband's family before heading to DL with my mom and sisters, so I will be getting the MRI results while I am gone. Today is the best I've felt since this whole thing started.

In the spirit of Halloween...another creepy photo...

Yeah, I know it's not technically a Halloween picture, but Minnie sure does look scary in this parade back in 1979! Or maybe it was 1976???

Old 10-31-2010, 12:36 AM   #155
deejdigsdis
I <3 Aglets

Well, I'm back. Hard to believe that yesterday I was doing this:

Any guesses as to what I'm actually doing?

Part 3 of my 3 trips in 12 months is coming up...

Old 10-31-2010, 07:14 PM   #156
deejdigsdis
I <3 Aglets

No guesses???

OK, here are a few more clues:

Anyway, I'm sitting here drowning my post-Disneyland blues in the last of my Mickey Head Truffles. I want to get my trip down while it is still somewhat fresh in my mind. For Part 1 (Ending My 13 Year Disneyland Drought -- Nov. 2009) and Part 2 (Celebrating Our 11th Wedding Anniversary 4+ Years Late -- April 2010) I jotted down notes here and there during the trips. I also took pictures here and there...not with the intent to print them out, but rather for the purpose of reminding me of little things that I didn't want to forget. This trip I didn't take the time to do those things and I am so regretting it. I guess I took extra pics to help me remember to mention certain things, but I didn't write down a single thing. My little notebook I tucked inside my purse is still fresh as a daisy. So -- I'm going to have to rely on my memory and the pictures I came home with.

OK...so how did this trip come about? Back on Nov. 20, 2009 I was in line for Nemo with my family. It was the first time we'd taken our kids to Disneyland, and my first visit in more than 13 years. So here we were, our last night, that "I have to walk away from Disneyland tonight for the last time in who knows how long" pit in my stomach, growing with each passing minute. (OK, that sounds a little dramatic. But - ugh - that horrible feeling that you'll soon be passing through the tunnel for the last time...it deserves a little drama.) OK, so we're standing in line. I quickly texted my sister, asking her if there was ANY way she would be able to leave her busy retail manager job for a few days within the next year so we could go to Disneyland together. I was just desperate to have a plan to come back. It's easier to walk away when you know you'll be coming back. I didn't really need to know specifics. I just needed to know it would happen. Within the next year. So of course she's all over the idea. I ponder upgrading my 4-day hopper to an AP to put that plan in motion.

(Yeah, I know those pictures from my childhood visits have nothing to do with what I'm currently talking about, but too many words and no pictures is boring to me.)

Back to pondering the AP... my practical side took over and decided not to fork out the extra $90 or $100 to upgrade. Just in case it didn't pan out. I would have been kicking myself if that happened, given my frugal nature. I also realized I didn't have my ID with me, so I couldn't have done it anyway. No time to go back to the hotel and get it. Now I'm kicking myself for NOT upgrading at that time. Given my frugal nature and all, and how the year has panned out Disneyland-wise.

So...I didn't upgrade. Fast forward to April 2010. I went on a short mid-week getaway with my husband. (Details earlier in the TR) I upgraded my 3-day park hopper at that time (paid a total of $263 for my Deluxe AP) because the wheels were in motion for an October trip with my parents and my 2 sisters.

Photo Relief:

Fast forward to October 2010. The trip is a go for my mom (age 71) and my 2 sisters (ages 48 and 36). I am the middle sister at age 38. (Eeewww. I haven't actually written - or typed - that out before.) My dad at age 77 felt he was too old to go. We fought him on that point for a while, but he didn't budge. So it turned into a girls' trip. A much needed girls' trip at that. The last time my mom and sisters and I were all together was more than 14 years ago. Yes, 14 years ago. Due to some falling-out stuff between my 2 sisters, but we'll leave it at that. The good news is they patched things up a few months ago. Funny -- this trip was planned back in January or February, for all of us girls to go in October. They were still on the outs when the initial plans were made. Ah...the magic of Disneyland. And another thing... the last time the 4 of us were altogether more than 14 years ago? That was at Disneyland.

Sorry for the book. I'm sure no one cares how this trip came about. The main reason I do these TRs is to get the details down before I forget. Then, when I print out my pictures and scrapbook them, or just put them in an album with pocket pages, I can come back here and read little details that I might have forgotten. A good way to fill in the gaps. Like right now I should probably say that my sister ate fudge off of Main Street. Yes, right off of Main Street. All 4 of us were plopped on the curb in front of Blue Ribbon Bakery, each with a fork in hand, sharing a tray of chocolate fudge - no nuts. Just digging in. I dropped some on the street in front of me, didn't plan on eating it, and my sister reached over with her fork and picked it up. And ate it. And the rest of us laughed. That's something I want to always remember about this trip. I didn't write that down in my little notebook, and I know I didn't get a picture of it, but it's something I want to remember. There, it's down in my little TR memory bank that I can access later. A memory never to be forgotten.

OK, from here on out there will be less talk and more pictures.

Old 10-31-2010, 07:29 PM   #157
Sherry E
Willing victim of the Disney Snowball Effect...
Okay so after a coffee and lunch break I am back!

DISboards Moderator

So I'm guessing Snow White broke down yesterday and you had to get out and walk? Is that what the photos depict?

Okay, I'm following along anyway, of course, but I have one question and I'm dying to know now (because it may be a while before we get to the end of the TR). I asked Tksbaskets the same thing when she recently returned from her first-ever DLR Halloween trip.

Now that you've done both Halloween Time and Christmas Time at DLR and can directly compare - and I know how much you enjoyed Christmas time - would you say you enjoy both seasons at DLR equally in terms of decor, treats and overall atmosphere, or would you say that one season has an advantage over the other?

I skipped Halloween Time this year. I had planned to go, but it just got to be too difficult for me to get there and make it happen (the perils of not having a car). I am sad about missing it - it feels weird to not go this year after going for 3 Halloweens in a row - BUT I feel like I am not missing anything and I can deal with going again in 2011. In fact, it may be bigger and better in 2011.

However, my Christmas at DLR 2010 trip is on track for a December 12 launch date and I feel like I cannot miss that because it's too important to me.

So I guess I am asking, if you were only able to go to DLR for Halloween or Christmas again and had to choose between the two, which would you choose? I ask because I know there are lots of folks on this board who prefer Halloween as a holiday and as a season at DLR more than Christmas, so you never know which way the popular opinion will go!

Pumpkins, Peppermint, Pastels and...Club 33!!! - (A new chapter begins... Many photos and wacky tales, coming soon to a Trip Report thread near you!)
And for some non-holiday seaside fun in the sun ~~ 2012 Catalina Island/Avalon Trip Report - My Solo Day Trip, in Photos (LOTS of Photos!)- 7/21/12 & Highlights from 2013 & 2014
Sherry E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 01:00 AM   #158
deejdigsdis
I <3 Aglets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherry E View Post
So I'm guessing Snow White broke down yesterday and you had to get out and walk? Is that what the photos depict?

Okay, I'm following along anyway, of course, but I have one question and I'm dying to know now (because it may be a while before we get to the end of the TR). I asked Tksbaskets the same thing when she recently returned from her first-ever DLR Halloween trip.

Now that you've done both Halloween Time and Christmas Time at DLR and can directly compare - and I know how much you enjoyed Christmas time - would you say you enjoy both seasons at DLR equally in terms of decor, treats and overall atmosphere, or would you say that one season has an advantage over the other?

I skipped Halloween Time this year. I had planned to go, but it just got to be too difficult for me to get there and make it happen (the perils of not having a car). I am sad about missing it - it feels weird to not go this year after going for 3 Halloweens in a row - BUT I feel like I am not missing anything and I can deal with going again in 2011. In fact, it may be bigger and better in 2011.

However, my Christmas at DLR 2010 trip is on track for a December 12 launch date and I feel like I cannot miss that because it's too important to me.

So I guess I am asking, if you were only able to go to DLR for Halloween or Christmas again and had to choose between the two, which would you choose? I ask because I know there are lots of folks on this board who prefer Halloween as a holiday and as a season at DLR more than Christmas, so you never know which way the popular opinion will go!
Yay Sherry! I'm so glad you popped in. I was hoping I wouldn't be talking to myself the whole time.

And you are correct! Snow White did break down and we got out and walked. More on that later.

Since you brought up the 2 seasons... this was just weird:

It was just odd. I know they have to do things like that. There is no way to transform all of Disneyland into a wintry Christmas wonderland overnight. But it is a little distracting in some ways.

On to answer your question. If I had to choose a Halloween Trip OR a Christmas Trip, which would I choose. Christmas -- hands down. I loved this trip. I loved all the fall and Halloween decor. I loved Mickey's Halloween Party. But...it was very easy to forget that it was Halloween Time. As you've pointed out so many times, Christmas Time at Disneyland is so much more immersive and all-encompassing. It feels like Christmas in other areas besides Main Street and Big Thunder Ranch. One of my favorite things about Christmas Time was the constant Christmas music that was playing. Loved it. But it felt like Christmas all over the place. It's not the same with Halloween. The current plan is to go back in 2 years. I would like to go in November again when Christmas is in full swing, but my 10 year old son really wants to ride Space Mountain Ghost Galaxy and go trick-or-treating at Disneyland. So we'll see. Oh - what did tksbaskets say? I was excited for her one day Halloween adventure. Did she report back in the Halloween thread? It's been a while since I've made it in there.

I'm a bit behind (OK, a lot behind) on the Halloween thread and your TR, but the last I read you were thinking of going on Friday Oct. 22nd and your friend (who has been a bit interesting) was planning to meet up with you for the party -- and maybe Goofy's? Anyway, I need to get caught up on your goings-on! I am very happy to hear about an actual December date, though. Will this be a solo adventure? Oh, I hope it all works out! I'm sure you've got the details in your TR so I'll check over there.

Old 11-01-2010, 12:24 PM   #159
Sherry E
Willing victim of the Disney Snowball Effect...
Okay so after a coffee and lunch break I am back!

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by deejdigsdis View Post
Yay Sherry! I'm so glad you popped in. I was hoping I wouldn't be talking to myself the whole time.

And you are correct! Snow White did break down and we got out and walked. More on that later.

Since you brought up the 2 seasons... this was just weird:

It was just odd. I know they have to do things like that. There is no way to transform all of Disneyland into a wintry Christmas wonderland overnight. But it is a little distracting in some ways.

On to answer your question. If I had to choose a Halloween Trip OR a Christmas Trip, which would I choose. Christmas -- hands down. I loved this trip. I loved all the fall and Halloween decor. I loved Mickey's Halloween Party. But...it was very easy to forget that it was Halloween Time. As you've pointed out so many times, Christmas Time at Disneyland is so much more immersive and all-encompassing. It feels like Christmas in other areas besides Main Street and Big Thunder Ranch. One of my favorite things about Christmas Time was the constant Christmas music that was playing. Loved it. But it felt like Christmas all over the place. It's not the same with Halloween. The current plan is to go back in 2 years. I would like to go in November again when Christmas is in full swing, but my 10 year old son really wants to ride Space Mountain Ghost Galaxy and go trick-or-treating at Disneyland. So we'll see. Oh - what did tksbaskets say? I was excited for her one day Halloween adventure. Did she report back in the Halloween thread? It's been a while since I've made it in there.

I'm a bit behind (OK, a lot behind) on the Halloween thread and your TR, but the last I read you were thinking of going on Friday Oct. 22nd and your friend (who has been a bit interesting) was planning to meet up with you for the party -- and maybe Goofy's? Anyway, I need to get caught up on your goings-on! I am very happy to hear about an actual December date, though. Will this be a solo adventure? Oh, I hope it all works out! I'm sure you've got the details in your TR so I'll check over there.
Hello! Ooooh...I love that holiday candy corn photo! You should post that picture on our Christmas thread - we are all starved for any photos of the new holiday season over there!!

It's funny because in the 'real world,' I definitely think there should be more of a separation of holidays. Sometimes Valentine's Day stuff hits the shelves before we have even reached the New Year. Sometimes Easter things are put out before Valentine's Day happens. Halloween candy usually appears when it's still the peak of summer! And we all know that signs of Christmas begin to show up very early. It's hard to tell which holidays are happening when, and I think many people feel the pressure to buy 'stuff' when they see it.

But, because I absolutely adore Christmas time - and I don't have the same pressures associated with it as other people do (to buy, cook, bake, shop - or even decorate if I don't want to) - I don't mind seeing signs of it in DLR early. I think I kind of suspend disbelief in DLR in that I buy into the whole fantasy aspect of the entire resort, and I can sort of go along with a storyline in which holidays can co-exist together. In fact, I wish they had a land that celebrated all the different holidays in one place!

Don't get me wrong - I would think it was very odd if they suddenly wheeled out the giant Christmas tree and put it right next to the giant Mickey pumpkin. That would be a bit much. But I like to see little signs of Christmas approaching here and there, like the snow on the Castle or whatever.

Tksbaskets said the same thing you said - she enjoyed Halloween Time but if she had to make a choice to go to DLR during only one season, it would be Christmas Time, hands down. Tdashgirl also said a similar thing. Flitterific (in the Halloween thread) just commented on how Halloween Time wasn't quite as magical as what she envisioned, but she had fun. So I think there are many of us who agree - Halloween Time is fun and we're glad DLR does something for Halloween, but...compared to what they do for the holiday season, it pales in comparison.

As you said, it's easy to forget it is Halloween Time at DLR. You can walk for long stretches of time and not see/hear/smell a single sign of Halloween Time - and it was even this way last year, when they still had Candy Corn Acres in DCA. The fact that they removed CCA from DCA has only made things seem less Halloween-like to me. I think that DLR could really do so much more with it - I'm sure they have the money for it - but I guess that Halloween Time is not a 'big' enough holiday to really go all out for. It seemed like they were building it up slowly, each year, and then suddenly they scaled it down again this year. At least, if they were going to remove all traces of Halloween from DCA, they could add in extra stuff in DL. Stick the giant Candy Corn in ToonTown or something. It's just not immersive enough for me. I like to feel like the entire Resort - hotels, shops, restaurants, both parks, DTD, all of it - is celebrating the season, whatever it is. I don't want to feel like it's Halloween or Christmas in one park, but not in the rest of the resort!! It takes me out of the experience when I walk out of DL and into a hotel and there is not a single pumpkin image anywhere!

Yep, my friend who was being "interesting" (good word for it) said she wanted to go to the MHP and meet me at Goofy's (even though I only asked her to meet me at Goofy's), and then about a week later she decided she couldn't go because she was going to be working too much overtime. So I was going to go solo - I had resigned myself to a solo day trip and I had the money saved up and all that. I was even going to do the MHP solo. But I kept thinking that if I went ahead and did that, I would be forced to only do a one-day holiday trip because of the fact that I would be using up all my funds.

And then I got a nifty PIN code offer for the PPH from DLR - it's on par with what some AP rates are for December. So I took that as a 'sign' that I should skip Halloween Time this year and make Christmas time my main focus, with a multi-night stay at the PPH, which I haven't been able to do since 2008! I don't know if I will be solo or if any friends will come to meet me. I'm proceeding as though I am going solo and whatever happens happens. Either way, I will have a blast and be thrilled to be there!

Anyway, I am looking forward to the rest of your TR!

Pumpkins, Peppermint, Pastels and...Club 33!!! - (A new chapter begins... Many photos and wacky tales, coming soon to a Trip Report thread near you!)
And for some non-holiday seaside fun in the sun ~~ 2012 Catalina Island/Avalon Trip Report - My Solo Day Trip, in Photos (LOTS of Photos!)- 7/21/12 & Highlights from 2013 & 2014

Last edited by Sherry E; 11-01-2010 at 01:55 PM. Reason: typo!
Sherry E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 06:56 PM   #160
deejdigsdis
I <3 Aglets

I've been a little slow getting started. I got home around 1am Saturday morning. DS7 was looking a little ill around 11am as he lounged on the couch. I kind of knew something was up with him...he was still sleeping at 10:30am. Anyway, I had just barely finished eating my bowl of Special K when I looked up and noticed he was about to lose his breakfast. Which consisted of a glass of purple grape juice. I rushed over to him and shoved my empty cereal bowl in front of his face. Just in time -- good catch, mom. So I've got 2 sick boys who are home from school today. They are watching a show now, so let's get this started...

Sunday October 24th. I had already been gone from home for a few days now. I spent 3 days with my husband's mom and his 2 sisters. I went straight from that to 6 days with my mom and 2 sisters. So here we are, the 4 of us girls, making our way to Anaheim. My mom will just be "Mom" -- and my older sister will be known as M48 (cuz her name starts with M and she's 48 years old, in case anyone needed an explanation. ) and my younger sister will be known as D36. It was a very exciting time. Like I mentioned, it had been 14 years. Having Disneyland to talk about made the 4 hour drive from my sister's house go by very quickly.

It won't be long now...

Getting even closer...

We stayed at HoJo. Just can't beat that AP rate of $69/per night in Building 2. I've only stayed at HoJo once. That was last November with the family. We were in a Kids' Suite in Building 1 and absolutely loved it. I know the freeway noise is an issue for some, but it wasn't a problem for us. So Building 2...

We checked in around 3:30 and got settled into our bottom floor room. One of the sink drains was broken. Well, the plug thing just stayed down. I went over to the office to get 2 more key cards and let them know about the drain. They said they would send someone in the morning after we left for the day. (They did and all was fine.)

I bought everyone's park hoppers online from getawaytoday and I wanted to walk over to Disneyland and get the tickets so that come Monday morning we could just sail on in. Getting the tickets was a breeze. I've used both lastminutetravel and getawaytoday now, and haven't had a problem with either. There wasn't a line at the ticket booth. For getawaytoday tix you just hand them your ID. You don't need to give them any kind of voucher or receipt. (For park tickets anyway -- not sure about other things like character meals purchased through them.)

So after taking a picture of each ticket (tip I learned here on the DIS, just in case you lose them), we just had to go check out the character pumpkins over the turnstiles.

Don't you love Minnie's bow made out of leaves?

Looking longingly through the gates before walking back to HoJo...

You know, going back to Disneyland after a 6 MONTH drought is very different from going back after a 13 YEAR drought for me. I also realized that going in first thing in the morning is so much more magical for me than going in later in the day. Just an observation I made this trip. I was excited to get back to HoJo after picking up the tickets and just get a good night's rest before our grand entrance Monday morning. I picked up some take-out from Mimi's on the way back. I need to mention that I was VERY disappointed that their Greek salad I enjoyed several times a year ago was no longer on the menu. So sad. I got a pasta dish instead. Good...but I enjoyed the salad more. After dinner I checked in with my husband and kids. My 3 boys promptly reported to me that they had ice cream for dinner and hot dogs for dessert. Nice.

This brings us to the end of our travel day. We went to bed with plans to leave at 7:15 for an 8:00 opening. I figured this would be easy enough. Afterall, during my growing up years my mom would have 6 kids ready to go to Disneyland for an 8am opening, donning her 70s pantsuit and heels. We didn't take breaks and we'd stay until the park closed at 1am. But she's 71 years old now, so we'll see...

Old 11-02-2010, 01:42 PM   #161
deejdigsdis
I <3 Aglets

I have a feeling that this won't be a very productive TR day. At about 3am my youngest son, the only child who isn't sick, came in to our room and tried to take one of my pillows. I asked him what he was doing and he said, "I hiccuped and my pillow got dirty." Hmmmmm. That sounded suspicious. I went into his room and confirmed my suspicions that he was now officially sick as well. I went back into my room, where he had already crawled into my bed. I had him get out and then I led him to the bathroom, where he proceeded to "hiccup and get the bathroom floor dirty." Anyway, I was up all night with that.

For now I'll just post a few random window display pictures. I looooooove the window displays at Disneyland and always come home wishing I had taken more pictures of them. Enjoy!

Old 11-02-2010, 07:02 PM   #162
deejdigsdis
I <3 Aglets

DAY 1 -- Monday Oct. 25th

So the plan was to leave HoJo at 7:15 for an 8:00 opening. That was the plan. Things were looking good, we seemed on track to leave by 7:15. You know how those last 10 minutes seem to go by in like 1 minute? That's kind of what happened. We actually were on our way at 7:40. Everyone was very apologetic that we were getting a later-than-wanted start, but no worries. I decided long ago when trip plans were just beginning that one of the keys to making this a happy trip would be...FLEXIBILITY. (That's DS7's teacher's motto, by the way...FLEXIBILITY. If it works for a class of 2nd graders, it can work for 4 adult women. ) With everyone having different priorities, expectations, etc. etc., I think a lot of headaches, stress and frustration were avoided by just being flexible.

So we're off to Disneyland for our first full day! I felt like a kid again. I played the mom role in Part 1, the wife role in Part 2, and now I was playing the daughter/sister role in Part 3. And it was fun!

It had rained during the night, so things looked a little drizzly as we entered.

About my pictures... I took a lot while I was walking this time around. I didn't want to hold everyone up by stopping every 2 feet to take a picture. (They were in no way making me feel like I was holding them up...it's just me.) So there are going to be some pictures that look like I was on the go because I was on the go. Not that I do a whole lot of "setting up" a shot anyway with my Point and Shoot camera, but I at least like to balance my hand and try to keep things steady.

We arrived at the turnstiles and I was pleasantly surprised at the lack of lines. There were less than 10 people in front of us when we got in line at 7:55.

I loved seeing the little flickering lights in the character pumpkins. A fantastic detail that just doesn't come across in still pics.

Everyone has their own "moment" when they KNOW they are at Disneyland. When I was a kid it would be when we'd walk into the huge parking lot that seemed neverending. The excitement and anticipation building as we'd head toward the ticket booths, my mom or sister running ahead so they could film everyone else (with one of those huge video cameras perched on their shoulder). Of course that moment of knowing is long gone. For some it is when they hear that magical sound when their ticket is scanned. I love that sound, but it isn't something from my childhood, so it's not quite my "Now I'm here moment." This, my dear lurkers - and Sherry -, is my moment when I know I'm there:

When I see this sign before walking through the tunnel. Does anyone else take a picture of this sign every time they go? Maybe my "now I'm here" moment will be different next time, but for this trip...this is what gave me THE feeling.

Old 11-03-2010, 01:02 PM   #163
deejdigsdis
I <3 Aglets

Day 1 -- Monday Oct. 25th Continued...

We're in. We stepped into that magical realm that is Disneyland. It will quickly be evident that any DISboards tips I've gotten for what to do those first 2 hours don't come into play. There was no walking with purpose to Peter Pan or mad dashes to get FPs for Space Mountain Ghost Galaxy. I noticed on my last trip that a priority for me is to just soak it all in. A couple of days into this trip -- as we were sitting on the front porch eating muffins and watching the people fly down Main Street -- we were discussing our favorite areas of Disneyland. My favorite area is Main Street. Most definitely Main Street. D36 mentioned that when we were kids, Main Street was just something we passed to get to Space Mountain. Well, that has changed. It isn't about rushing from ride to ride for me anymore. It's more about enjoying the atmosphere of "leaving today and entering a world of ... yesterday."

Moving on. The plan was for D36 to get a locker while I took a few pictures on Main Street.

Not sure what's going on under the tarp.

I absolutely love the garland in this display. Very old-school. (I bought that mug in the bottom left corner, by the way. )

I headed over to get FPs for Indy. I wanted our first major ride to be one that all 4 of us could do. Just wasn't sure what my mom at age 71 - almost 72 - would be able to handle. She said she could do Indy, so Indy it was.

On the way over, I noticed Chef Oscar scurrying around in Carnation Cafe so I had to get a quick picture.

We met him when we had lunch there last November and he was such a cute little delightful man. When my husband and I went back in April and ate breakfast at CC, Chef Oscar was on vacation so we missed him. I wasn't sure if I'd catch another glimpse of him later during this trip, so I took this on-the-go picture. (Little did I know...he would be checking my hand for a ring the next day at lunch. Yeah, I have pictures. )

Continuing on to get the Indy FPs...

Did I mention I was pleasantly surprised with the low crowds? More like non-existent crowds.

Heading back to Main Street to meet up with everyone else. A couple shots of Tiki Room stuff.

More later.

Old 11-04-2010, 01:30 AM   #164
deejdigsdis
I <3 Aglets

Day 1 -- Monday Oct. 25th Continued...

More window displays...

One of my very favorite things I saw while window shopping:

Loved these flowers over by the lockers

Ahhh...remnants of the rain...

It was 8:30 by this time. (Sheesh. I'm only 30 minutes into Day 1 of 5...this is going to take forever.) We made our way toward Main Street station so we could take the train full circle -- our traditional first ride at Disneyland. As we were walking over there we saw all sorts of characters out and about with practically no lines -- just 1 or 2 or 3 people. So -- being the flexible ladies we are -- we got some character pics before hopping aboard the train. We got pics with Pinocchio first. We must have appeared somewhat excited and energized. The handler said, "Boy, we sure can tell who had their Starbucks this morning..." We informed him, "Nope. Not us. This is just us in our natural state of starting a day at Disneyland." Up next was Alice and Mad Hatter. (Does anyone else just want to pinch his nose? ) Across Town Square we saw Goofy and headed his way. While we were standing in line Mickey made an entrance.

We noticed Pinocchio's handler is now Mickey's handler.

Mickey on the go...

Love Goofy's skeleton costume. (Does anyone else just want to pull on those whiskers? What is it with me... )

While getting our group pic with Mickey, M48 turned and kissed his cheek right when the photo was taken. We couldn't tell if Mickey began to act embarrassed or disgusted or what. He wiped off his cheek and then kind of hid his face in a corner. We decided he was trying to tell us that he only has room for kisses from Minnie. M48 apologized and he turned back toward her. All in fun of course.

One more picture before getting on the train.

We were the only ones waiting at the station. We asked about riding the Lilly Belle, as we had seen the car when we walked into the park. The CM in the station said to check back later. Specifically, check back when the sun comes out. I thought that was an odd response.

Our train pulls in...

We chatted with a nice Disneyland Railroad CM. I asked her about park capacity -- what that really meant, numbers-wise. I didn't get a straight answer. She described all the different levels of the park reaching capacity, but I wanted to hear numbers. I asked her why the park was closing at 6pm. (Monday night) She said it was for Mickey's Halloween Party. Well, I knew it wasn't for a regular MHP, since those were on Tues. and Fri. nights. I asked if it was a party for Cast Members and families but she just said it was for a regular party. Hmmmm. So I just dropped it. She was very excited to tell us that her fiance would be working on the same train as her that day. Usually he works on a different one. Anyway, she was just the first of many nice CMs we encountered this trip. By the way, the next day we saw her working inside Indy and she remembered us.

Old 11-04-2010, 04:08 AM   #165
eeyore7360nc
DIS Veteran

Just finished reading your 3-in1 trip report. I am enjoying seeing the differences in WDW and DL at Halloween. BTW don't kid yourself, you are a photographer.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: