Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-28-2009, 09:12 PM   #1
Pat329
Mouseketeer

Are the cruises fun without children?

My DH and I were not blessed with children so we are our entire family. We have learned through the years that WDW isn't just for kids. It's for grownups like us that want to feel like kids again and that happens with every visit. I'm thinking about trying a Disney Cruise but most of what I read sound like it's VERY family oriented so I'm wondering if it might not be much fun for those of us without children. Any comments would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Pat329 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 09:20 PM   #2
msabol01
DIS Veteran

You guys will have a great experience even without kids. My wife and I took a cruise without kids for our wedding anniversary and we had a great time. There are plenty of adult only spaces on the ship and Castaway Cay has an adults only beach.

I'd recommend the second dining seating as most families with children will choose the first dining rotation.

I say go for it!

msabol01 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-28-2009, 09:23 PM   #3
two-foxes

Love a man in a suit!!!

YES!!!

Our first 5 Disney cruises were child free and wonderful!!! If you are a fan of Disney, you will LOVE DCL with out kids! Check out the navigators and take a peek at all the amazing adult only activities, not to mention the Quiet Cove, the Spa, the Cove Cafe, the wine tasting, the tours, PALO!!!! and last, but most certainly not least, Serenity Bay.
two-foxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 09:25 PM   #4
nokidz
thanks Mickey, now I am an addict!!

Our kids range from 17 to 21. We have cruised Disney with them and without. You WILL have a blast. We have done two with kids and two without. One more booked with and one more booked without....lol
past cruises

Feb 26th 2011 Eastern on the Magic!!! - graphic to come
future cruises
Nov 24th 2012 Western on the Fantasy!!! - graphic to come
nokidz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 09:26 PM   #5
Flight
Mouseketeer

I take cruises with my kids and it ends up I never see them! So the result is it's like taking a cruise without kids and I enjoy it. You will also have fun!
Flight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 09:26 PM   #6
kcashner
DIS Veteran

A DCL cruise is for everyone. There are adult only areas on the ship and on Castaway Cay.....and when the parents who think their little darlings are entitled to be in adult only areas show up, one only needs to complain to the Cruise Staff and it will be handled. Sorry.....bad scene on our last Wonder cruise, never seen anything like it on the Magic.

Yes, the cruise is as much for adults as for kids. You'll have a blast.
kcashner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 09:31 PM   #7
Pat329
Mouseketeer

Thanks to all! I didn't realize they had adult only activities so now I can really start researching for next years vacation. Thanks again!!!

Pat329 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 09:47 PM   #8
nashville_minnie
Mouseketeer

yep, of course the cruise is for only adults too! my DH & I are going on our second one together this year! you will have the time of your life!
thousands of visits to WDW (former WDWCP & FT cast member)
nashville_minnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 10:02 PM   #9
lmhall2000
May the road rise to meet you....May God hold you in the palm of His Hand.

Just this week they lowered the cat 12 on April/May cruises to the Mediterranean (10 and 11 night) to $999 per person!! I think having so many ports in such amazingly 'rich' (history, food, architecture) ports would be a great first cruise, if you really don't like the cruise that much, you can't not love Rome/Malta/Barcelona!!!

Take the plunge!!

Tara

lmhall2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 05:45 AM   #10
Pluto,
DIS Veteran

my first two cruises was with our son he was 16 and 17. than our next two was just the two of us. one with rccl. got our fourth, fifth, sixth,seventh,eight,and ninth book on dcl with just the wife and I.dcl cruises is fun for any age
Pluto, is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 06:17 AM   #11
PearlySwan
"I have spread my dreams under your feet; tread softly because you tread on my dreams." W.B. Yeats

On our first and only Disney cruise, so far, we did travel with our kids (5 and 3mo. at the time). However, on the DCL Magical Express that takes people from the airport to Port Canaveral, there were some couples without kids. We struck up a conversation with one couple sitting across from us. It turned out it was their seventh Disney cruise without kids! DH and I were naturally curious. The couple had sailed with other cruise lines but after sailing with DCL they became loyal DCL customers. Reasons? Service, service, service! Adult only things to do on the ship (pool, restaurant, activities, entertainment, spa, fitness center, etc, etc, etc). They also mentioned the adults only beach at Disney's Castaway Cay. That couple loved Disney and for them DCL was the perfect blend of both Disney and international travel. I suspect after our children grow up, we too will remain loyal to the Disney brand. We dream of some day going on a DCL Mediterranean cruise. Now that's a cruise we would love to do without kiddos.
PearlySwan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 06:35 AM   #12
Pluto,
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PearlySwan View Post
On our first and only Disney cruise, so far, we did travel with our kids (5 and 3mo. at the time). However, on the DCL Magical Express that takes people from the airport to Port Canaveral, there were some couples without kids. We struck up a conversation with one couple sitting across from us. It turned out it was their seventh Disney cruise without kids! DH and I were naturally curious. The couple had sailed with other cruise lines but after sailing with DCL they became loyal DCL customers. Reasons? Service, service, service! Adult only things to do on the ship (pool, restaurant, activities, entertainment, spa, fitness center, etc, etc, etc). They also mentioned the adults only beach at Disney's Castaway Cay. That couple loved Disney and for them DCL was the perfect blend of both Disney and international travel. I suspect after our children grow up, we too will remain loyal to the Disney brand. We dream of some day going on a DCL Mediterranean cruise. Now that's a cruise we would love to do without kiddos.
yes im too am loyal to dcl. went on a rccl cruise in january explorer of the seas
the shows were terrible it was a 12 night cruise and they had bad desserts all the way until like day 8 than they started having good desserts.
Pluto, is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 06:55 AM   #13
cseca
My legs are wimpy but my will is stronger...

Oh yes!
We did 2 DCLs without kids. It was a whole heck of a lot of fun. If you love WDW you will definitely enjoy the cruise. There are a lot of things to do for adults and if you don't want to do anything, you can do that too.
Serenity bay is awesome.
We are booked on a cruise in january and this time around we have a little baby. It'll be an adjustment for us since we won't be able to do serenity bay and have to stick to the family beach area
cseca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 07:18 AM   #14
rib837
Earning My Ears

The DCL is fun with or without kids. There are lots of things to do on the ship. And if you want to get away from all the screaming kids etc, there are places to get where no kids are allowed.
rib837 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 07:43 AM   #15
WolfpackFan
Retired and loving every minute of it!!

I sure hope the cruises are fun without kids. DW and myself just booked a Magic cruise and we're in our 60's and our children are 30 and 35 (no grandchildren).

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: