Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-28-2009, 06:29 PM   #1
littlebigdog
Our lives are made in these small hours, these little wonders.

Anniversary trip Question

Looking for some help on deciding where to stay for our 20th anniversary. This will be our 1st trip alone since having our children (now 14 & 8). We are trying to decide between Animal Kingdom, Grand Floridian, or Poly. We have never stayed concierge but it may be doable for us since our trip will not be until Nov. 2010 leaving time to save. Thanks for any advice.
littlebigdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 07:11 PM   #2
tikimimi
Pixie - Sgt. at Arms of the Pancake Sisters

Where you stay really depends on what you and your spouse enjoy together and what style fits you best. Grand Floridian is a bit more formal being Victorian) and some find that romantic. I love the decor there, but I tend to like to visit there rather than call it home - that is just me though, and it may be exactly what you and your spouse would love. To me it feels a bit more stilted, but again - that is a personal reflection. We have enjoyed staying at AK and at the Poly and did that one on concierge level. We splurged for room service for breakfast at AK so we could enjoy the animals from our balconies - that was wonderful! The atmosphere at AK is very calming. Poly seems to have both the hurried and chaotic as well as the calm areas, and the decor is beautiful - lots of lush plants and water. The concierge level was enough to feed us our meals without a problem, but again, that may differ for different folks. Poly and GF are convenient for all types of transportation. AK does not offer boat service to any destination nor is it on the monorail, but it does have the bus service. This is a consideration if your trip involves lots of park time.

I guess the best advice I can give you is to consider what kind of style you want this trip to reflect - what will make you feel special yet comfortable in celebrating your 20th - what a great place to go for such a wonderful hallmark in your marriage! I don' think you can go wrong in any of your choices, but in considering what the two of you really want and how you want the celebration to feel, you will probably choose the right place for such a celebration!

tikimimi is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-28-2009, 07:30 PM   #3
iloveeeyore
DIS Veteran

Happy Anniversary!

DH and I couldn't decide between Poly and AKL for our 20th anniversary trip next summer, so we decided to split our stay between the 2. We are bringing our kids, though. You really can't beat the Poly in terms of location, but we also enjoy the atmosphere at AKL. We are not fans of the decor of the rooms at the GF at all, but the amenities there are wonderful. We figure if we want we can walk over to the GF for a meal or to use the spa from the Poly any time. We have tried CL at Poly and really enjoyed it, and we are doing CL at AKL this trip. The greatest thing about CL at AKL is that it is cheaper than non-CL GV at the Poly, and you're guaranteed savanna view!

These are 3 terrific resorts and I think you can't go wrong with any! Let us know what you decide.

With DH and DKs - CR TPV, CSR, AKL CL, WL CY, Poly GV (x3), Poly GVC, Courtyard by Marriott DTD, CBR
Numerous trips as kids to CR, Poly, Golf Resort
iloveeeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 09:33 PM   #4
littlebigdog
Our lives are made in these small hours, these little wonders.

Thank you for the replies! I believe we are leaning toward CL at AKL!
littlebigdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 10:00 PM   #5
kydisneyfan1987
Earning My Ears

Smile

I have stayed at both Poly and Grand Floridian. My vote is for Poly. I am staying there in January. GF is a little more fancy and stuff and Poly is more laid back. Depends on your preference! Good luck and congrats!!!
kydisneyfan1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 01:19 AM   #6
tink_lover
POLKA PRINCESS

DH and I just stayed CL at the Poly for our 20th anniversary - I moved our ressie around from CL at WL and AK to finally stay at what (so far) has been our favorite. It did not disappoint. We were booked GV and were upgraded to the most amazing TPV room!! The Poly grounds were so spectacular. We also did the trip without the kids and all I can say is - I can hardly wait until our 25th!
Old 11-29-2009, 02:38 AM   #7
Pakey

I'm not a rookie
I got 2 dogs. I joined the Dis.

I don't think anything tops staying RPC at GF. My husband and I absolutely love sitting in the club area with a glass of wine, looking down into the GF lobby, listening to live music.
Pakey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 02:43 AM   #8
cruiseyaca
Earning My Ears

My vote would be for AKL. Where else can you wake up to a giraffe out your window!? That being said, I agree with tikimimi, it depends on what you want from your trip. If there parks are something you are going to be doing a lot, it is easier to get around from the Poly or Grand. The Grand is very nice, but the Poly again offers a more unique experience in my opinion. I am sure you will have a wonderful time and congrats!
cruiseyaca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 12:29 AM   #9
Poppinsme
I LOVE SMILEYS

We love the Poly. And for our 35th anni. next year thats were we will be staying. LVC.....ah heaven.
Old 11-30-2009, 12:45 AM   #10
CR Resort Fan 4 Life
DIS Veteran

I would go with the Polynesian because in my opinion they have the best theme of the resorts you are asking about.
CR Resort Fan 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 09:55 AM   #11
KatMark
DIS Veteran

Of the three you mentioned, we've stayed at the Poly a number of times and love it; we hope to do a split stay with the AKL on our next trip; the GF we will never stay at -- it holds no appeal to us at all (my DH won't even step foot in the place after our first visit there when it first opened). I'd go with the Poly or the AKL.
Old 11-30-2009, 12:59 PM   #12
MUFFYCAT
Sorry, I'm a spaze
Nevermind I see it, my eyesight is going
Which Spice Girl can I be?
Jealous of Christmas Tags

The Polynesian has always been our favorite. We just came back from celebrating our 25th anniversary. My DH surprised me with the trip so this was the first time the the concierge staff was asked to make 2 adrs for us and they forget about it. . (I always do them myself).

When I called 2 days before to go over the plans they had the record that my DH asked them but nothing was done.
I managed to get 2 for ourselves because they said they said everything was booked. When we arrived they managed to get 2 ADR for us. One was the same place and time I got.
Old 11-30-2009, 01:31 PM   #13
disney pro
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by iloveeeyore View Post
DH and I couldn't decide between Poly and AKL for our 20th anniversary trip next summer, so we decided to split our stay between the 2. We are bringing our kids, though. You really can't beat the Poly in terms of location, but we also enjoy the atmosphere at AKL. We are not fans of the decor of the rooms at the GF at all, but the amenities there are wonderful. We figure if we want we can walk over to the GF for a meal or to use the spa from the Poly any time. We have tried CL at Poly and really enjoyed it, and we are doing CL at AKL this trip. The greatest thing about CL at AKL is that it is cheaper than non-CL GV at the Poly, and you're guaranteed savanna view!

These are 3 terrific resorts and I think you can't go wrong with any! Let us know what you decide.
We did a split stay between the AKL CL and Poly CL this past Oct. and had a blast. I have always loved the AKL, something about seeing the animals from your balcony, and the out of africa feeling is just relaxing to me, the Poly is amazing it was very quite and we never really had any issues, the tropical decor and having the monorail and boats as well as the buses to get where we were going was very nice. If you do stay at AKL CL don't forget to do the Sunrise Safari it is amazing and really made our trip special. The GF just seems to ritzy for my taste. What ever you decide you will have a great time. Congrats on 20 years.

2011 ASSP
2010 AKL CL, Poly TPV CL
2009 - ASMU, POLY CL, AKL CL
2008 - WL
2006 - pop
2005 - ASSP
2004 - Pop, POR
2003 - Pop, AKL
2002 - WL
2001 - AKL
94 - 2000 - All Stars
70's - 93 - off site