Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-28-2009, 05:15 AM   #1
bas71873
DIS Veteran

Holiday jello salad/mold ideas?

I want to make some kind of jello mold/salad for Cmas Eve at my in-laws. I do NOT want to use cranberry as my base jello (blek!), would prefer strawberry or cherry, even lime, if I can. Any ideas out there? I have a recipe that is always a hit....pretzel crust, cream cheese, strawberry jello w/frozen strawberries and that's red and pretty, but wanted to see if there are any other ideas out there.

Thanks.

Oh, pics would be wonderful if you have any

Disney Dream - April, 2015; Yacht Club Club Level- January, 2014; Renaissance Orlando at Sea World-August, 2012; AKL Pool View-October, 2010; ; HRH Club Level-August, 2009;
Wilderness Lodge-Girls Only - Oct, 2008
;Pop Century, First Trip to WDW - Feb 2008
bas71873 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 07:13 AM   #2
TaraPA
I will think of that animatronic as him
I also wouldn't mind if they made it racier!The germs would just skeeve me out!

Oooo I love the red jello pretzel salad! A green one my mom used to make (but has never been a hit when I have made it) is this: lime jello - when almost set add shredded carrots, pineapple chunks, cut up apples & walnuts. Sounds odd but I really love it! I think it's the carrots that make people go hmmmm.....so you could leave those out!

I know you said no cranberry, but I use this in any red jello - cut up apples, cut up celery, whole cranberries (canned), walnuts & pineapple chunks.

AKL/BWI CL split stay 8/14 Dane's birthday**Poly Girls Trip 5/14**Poly/AKV Girls Trip 3/14**AKV Kidani Girls Trip 12/13 **BWI CL/CSR BC Dane's surprise 13th birthday 8/13**BWV Girls Trip 4/13**WL CL/AKV Jambo family trip 3/13**CSR surprising family trip 12/12**POR Girls Trip 10/12 ** BC CL/Dolphin Family Trip 3/12** BCV/Poly Girls Trip 3/12**AKV Kidani 11/11 Girls Trip! **Dolphin 3/11 family trip ** Swan - 3/11 GIRLS TRIP!**AKV Kidani Girls Trip 10/10!**Dolphin 2/10- ESPN Weekend/family trip**BLT 11/09 Girls Trip** Dolphin 12/08 Girls Trip**Solo trip/offsite 05/08** Dolphin 12/07 mom & Dane trip**AKL 12/06 family trip**AS Music 11/02 mom & Ty trip**Disneyland - Anaheim Hilton 5/02 adults only!** AS Sports 9/01 family trip**Swan 10/00 family trip**CSR 10/99 family trip**offsite 1989,1987, 1970's
TaraPA is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-28-2009, 09:09 AM   #3
Sandy51
DIS Veteran

I make this every year-my family insists.

CHRISTMAS RIBBON SALAD

BOTTOM LAYER:

2 (3 oz.) pkgs. lime jello

Prepare according to box directions. Put in 14x10x2 inch glass dish. Chill to partially set.

MIDDLE LAYER:

1 (3 oz.) pkg. lemon jello
1/2 c. miniature marshmallows
1 c. pineapple juice
1 (8 oz.) pkg. cream cheese
1/2 cup pecans
1 (1 lb. 4 oz.) can crushed pineapple (drained)
1 c. Cool Whip
1 c. mayonnaise

Add 1 cup hot water to lemon jello; stir. Add marshmallows and stir to melt them. Add pineapple juice. Add softened cream cheese; beat well. Stir in crushed pineapple; cool. Add nuts. Fold in Cool Whip and mayonnaise. Chill until thick.

Pour over lime layer. You may want to only use 3/4 of this mixture for a thin middle layer. Chill to almost set.

TOP LAYER:

2 (3 oz.) pkgs. cherry jello (I also like black cherry)

Prepare according to box directions. Chill to syrupy stage. Pour over middle layer. Chill to firm. Yield: 24 servings.

Sandy
Sandy51 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 09:51 AM   #4
dare2dream
BL6 Weightkeeper
thinking that it is a wonderful time to be walking around the block

Rainbow Jello Salad

This is pretty labor intensive but can be done over several days. Make sure that each layer has time to jell and do not pour jello into the mold until it is cooled. This always brings compliments where ever served. Enjoy.

Rainbow Jello Salad

16 oz sour cream
1 sm pkg red Jello
1 sm pkg orange Jello
1 sm pkg yellow Jello
1 sm pkg green Jello
1 sm pkg blue Jello
1 sm pkg violet Jello
vegetable cooking spray
2 cup glass measuring cup
1 cup glass measuring cup or a glass drinking cup

Spray 9 x 13 inch pan with vegetable cooking spray. If serving the salad from the pan a glass pan gives the best effect. If you will serving the salad in cubes any type 9 x 13 pan can be used and the cubes can be served in a clear bowl.

Mix red Jello with 1 cup boiling water in 2 cup glass measuring cup.

Add water to Jello to bring volume in measuring cup to 1 ½ cups.

Pour ¾ cup of Jello into a glass drinking glass or 1 cup measuring cup.

Add ¼ cup water to the drinking glass to bring volume to 1 cup.

To the Jello in the 2 cup glass measuring cup add 1/3 cup sour cream.

Stir until well mixed.

Pour Jello and sour cream mixture into prepared 9 x 13 pan.

Place 9 x 13 pan and cup of clear Jello into refrigerator for 30-40 minutes.

Remove pan of Jello and cup of Jello from refrigerator.

Stir Jello in cup. If it is still liquid pour over sour cream layer in pan. If it has
started to jell microwave until liquid again. Let Jello cool and then pour over
sour cream layer.

Return pan of Jello to refrigerator for 30-40 minutes.

Repeat process for each color of Jello. Remember to only add Jello to pan when Jello has cooled.

It will take a minimum of 6 hours to prepare this salad. It can be prepared over several days. Allow plenty of time for the last layer to jell before serving.

To serve dip pan briefly in hot water to help loosen the Jello. Run a knife around the sides of the pan.

If serving from the pan, cut salad into desired serving sizes. If serving cubes, cut the cubes and transfer them to a clear bowl.
Old 11-28-2009, 10:02 AM   #5
geffric
DH thinks I'm funny -- but I tell him it's like a hobby!
I found myself checking for new posting while I am at work, at home, doing homework
I have LOTS of really nice Disney loving friends

My Mom mades a pretty red salad..

She used 4 small unit packages of strawberry and banana jello. 2 cups water. Small frozen strawberries mixed in. Let it sit until eggwhiteish.. not hard but not liquidy either.. then add mashed bananas ( 2 0r 3 overripe ones) and sour cream.. let sit.. unmold and serve.. it is good and easy

geffric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 12:13 PM   #6
GRUMPY PIRATE
First rule, always!!

do what we did one year........

get a ring shaped jello mold, we got several large boxes of LIME jello and and put big chuncks of fresh pineapple in in..made it as usual with the fruit in it....THEN we got the multi flavored cheerios and coated the ring of jello with the crunchies!

(got the idea from national Lampoons Christmas Vacation)

everyone LOVED it.
Old 11-28-2009, 01:05 PM   #7
RangerPooh
It's the little things that make our day
It was a nice surprise to find to find when I returned home from work

All of those top our basic lime jello with fruit inside. But nothing screams holiday to me more than that as my grandma always made it.

Have you considered doing the layers as some of the boxes recipies include. All you need is a large box of jello (I prefer the raspberry) and a tub of either light or reg whip cream. I always add a full tub of whip cream as that's the best part, lol.
---Jello + whip cream, the receipie calls for frozen but I use it slightly thawed as it breaks down better that way. Add cream when still hot and then refridgerate until ready to serve (a few hours).

Disneyland Wedding 6.02.2003
RangerPooh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 02:28 PM   #8
SpecialK
DIS Veteran

I make the ribbon jello but in a less complicated way. I make the jello with 1c boiling water till dissolved. Add 1/2 c of cold water. Reserve 1/2 c of jello; pour remaining jello into round mold or clear bowl. Put mold in fridge until jello is firm, about 1/2 hour.

Mix reserved 1/2c jello with 1/2c sour cream. Pour over cooled clear layer. Put in fridge to firm up until you make the next layer. If you pour the layer over a spoon they spread out and don't make holes in the previous layer.

Takes me about 90 min. in all to make three colors/six layers.

***If you make the in a mold it's more difficult because what you're pouring has to be warm so it will stick to the previous layer and not slide off when you unmold.
SpecialK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 06:30 AM   #9
bas71873
DIS Veteran

Great ideas! Thanks!

Disney Dream - April, 2015; Yacht Club Club Level- January, 2014; Renaissance Orlando at Sea World-August, 2012; AKL Pool View-October, 2010; ; HRH Club Level-August, 2009;
Wilderness Lodge-Girls Only - Oct, 2008
;Pop Century, First Trip to WDW - Feb 2008
bas71873 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: