Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-22-2010, 05:38 PM   #136
Chelley00
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sneezie View Post
Another cliffhanger!
I figure we're boring people, so we need to liven up the trip report somehow!!!

Riley and I were at DHS, getting ready to go through the fastpass return line, when we got the surprise of our life.

Remember Amanda, the College Program Cast Member from our first DHS day?

The one who gave Riley fastpasses upon fastpasses and put us on RNR without waiting in the front row over and over? She was working the fastpass return line! She rememered Riley by name, asked if it was still her birthday and then asked Riley how many times she had ridden RNR that day. When Riley said once, Amanda said that was awful and handed Riley these

Fastpasses for RNR. Then she let us go through line without taking the fastpasses we had brought with us. That gives us 4 rides on RNR. (scarcastic) Yay. Remember, Mom doesn't like going upside down, and had already ridden RNR 7 times the first DHS day. Again, I say without enthusiasm. Yay!

Oh, but it gets better. We went up and rode RNR in the third row. When we got to the end, who would be working the place where you stop, but Amanda. She told Riley "You know where the back door is" and pointed for us to go through to ride again. And when we got there, they put us in the front row. When that ride was over, Riley insisted on one more time. I said 3 was my limit, so we did it once again, in the front row, and then I said we HAD to go do something else.

We had few more minutes until our Toy Story fastpasses, so we headed over to see the Monsters Inc guys. Sully was bored and walking around, and came right up to me, so I took his picture

Our fastpass return time was up, so we headed for Toy Story Mania.

and then we headed towards our dinner reservation, with a little time to kill, Riley asked to watch Muppets.

It was still a little early, but we went ahead to check in for dinner, once again a place we've never been.

And remember, we still have 3 sets of fastpasses for RNR.

Vomit.
Old 02-22-2010, 05:54 PM   #137
Chelley00
DIS Veteran

Tonight dinner was at

We've never been to SciFi. I thought Riley would enjoy the drive in setting, especially being a TV junkie, I thought she would love to watch "TV" while eating.

I was wrong. My little "hate Halloween/scary stuff" girl HATED Sci Fi. She hated the campy horror flick clips. The only minute she was okay was when Tom and Jerry was on

She spent the rest of the meal with her head down focusing on her dinner

The setting was cute

Food not so much. It was okay, but not great. Probably not one we'd do again. (the milkshakes were great though!!!)

As soon as we paid, we hurried over to catch Fantasmic. We got seated just as it was starting. Being so late I thought we'd have horrible seats, and we were pretty far to the right, but we were in the 6th row.

After Fantasmic we headed over to use the rest of our Rock N Roller Coaster fastpasses. All 3 sets. And thanks to Amanda still working the end, she snuck us up for an extra ride, making it 4 times in a row. 7 total rides for the day. 14 total rides for the trip. I should win Mom of the Year award.

We snuck in one more ride on TOT right at close. I love TOT at night.

My biggest accomplishment in life is not hurling after all that flipping and dropping!

When we got back to AKL, there was total chaos in the lobby. It's the Friday before Thanksgiving week, and apparently everyone in the world had decided to check into AKL that night! Craziness!

When we got back to our room, Riley's stuffed animals were watching TV

We went to bed early this night. The next morning I wanted to get to Animal Kingdom at opening so we could knock out the rest of the rides on our to-do list, then come back to let Riley swim and maybe pack a little since it was our last full day
Register to remove

Old 02-22-2010, 06:13 PM   #138
Chelley00
DIS Veteran

Riley woke up this morning with a headache and stuffy nose. Not good. Especially since we were flying out the next day. Thankfully I had packed some kids cold meds, so I dosed her up and we headed to the bus stop.

Holy mess of people in the lobby. I knew that crowds would pick up this weekend, but I hoped we would be out of town before it got crazy. Not the case. We made our way through the crowds and headed to the bus stop for AK. The line was HUGE. For all the parks. Riley looked at me and said she just didn't feel up to a park today and could we go shopping or something. We went through all the rides we still needed to do at AK and how we were leaving the next day and was she going to be mad about missing out, and she insisted no. I was a little disappointed, especially since we wouldn't get to see Festival of the Lion King, but it was her trip, and she looked a little miserable, so I let her pick. To tell the truth, I'm not big on crowds, and I think after 10 days, we were both just tired of nonstop park action We had dinner reservations at Downtown Disney later that night, but she said she wanted to go there anyhow because it was too early/chilly to swim already. We detoured to the rental car and headed towards DTD.

We spent the morning walking around, shopping for souveniers for family, Christmas presents etc. Riley was still not feeling up to par and not really hungry, so we split a sandwich from Earl of Sandwich and sat outside to people watch. I asked Riley if she wanted to head back to AKL, but she said no.

We decided we needed to do our make your own treats at Goofy's Candy Company. We've bought candy there before, but never done our own stuff! Rileyhad marshmellows dipped in dark chocolate, rolled in Reese's pieces and drizzled in more chocolate. I had a peanut butter filled Oreo type cookie, dipped in chocolate, rolled in pecans and drizzled in white chocolate. Oh how good it was.

But, we saved those for dessert for later that night and the next day, and made a stop at Ghiradelli for dessert we could eat right now

We headed back to AKL, but I talked Riley out of swimming. Her little nose was still so stuffy, and I was afraid of her getting sicker. I told her we could do few activities around the resort, we could spend her 30 minute arcade card from our resort package, and then I needed to start packing.

First the overlook to see the zebras.

Then we went to do the hidden habitat activity

Then I let Riley spend her 30 minute arcade time. Even taking my hands off to take a picture, I still won

I convinced Riley she needed to take a nap so that she could feel better for her surprise dinner spot tonight. She was feeling pretty crummy that she didn't fight me much. I honestly thought we needed to cancel, but once I told her where we were going, she told me she HAD to go there. She laid down to rest and watch TV while I started packing
Old 02-22-2010, 06:23 PM   #139
Chelley00
DIS Veteran

Dinner tonight was back at Downtown Disney, a restaurant that I knew would be my daughter's favorite. Every year on their birthday, the kids' each get to pick where they want to go for dinner. Riley almost always picks somewhere she can get seafood. So this night, I'm going to feed her seafood addiction at Fulton's Crab House.

This turned out to be our most favorite (and most expensive) meal of the trip. The food was so good, our waiter was fantastic. Riley was so happy to see crab legs on the kids menu!

At the end, our waiter brought Riley a huge slab of cake with Happy Birthday written in chocolate

We walked Downtown for awhile. We wanted to try the balloon ride, but it was really windy so they could only take so many up at a time and it was over an hour wait. Instead we walked for around looking in stores and watching the street performers. Riley had to go in the Harley store and get her picture taken for my FIL, who has 2 Harleys

It was getting late, so we needed to head back to AKL. We needed to get up early the next morning to finish packing, check out and hopefully leave enough time to hit one more park for awhile before we headed to the airport. On our way out, we stopped one more place.

I sat on the edge of the chair, and he insisted that I was not to old to actually sit on Santa's lap and made me move!
Old 02-22-2010, 06:50 PM   #140
Chelley00
DIS Veteran

Our last day. We were sad to see it end, but I think we were both ready to go home!

After breakfast, I finished packing while Riley took pictures of the animals outside. One of the giraffes was chasing another, and then we got to watch one drink. It's amazing how far they have to spread their front legs to bend over.

We loaded up the rental car and said Goodbye to Animal Kingdom Lodge. I loved staying here. The staff was friendly, there was always something going on, the food court was good, bus service was awesome, and you cannot beat giraffes outside your room.

Riley took a picture of the entrance as we were leaving

As were packing up, I gave Riley the option to pick our last park for the day. We went through each park and the rides that were at each. We also talked about how we had spent so many days at each park, but only one at Animal Kingdom. She surprised me. I really thought she'd pick either AK or DHS. Or even Magic Kingdom so she could get one last ride on Space Mountain.

Nope, she picked Epcot. We had already spent 3 days there, but she wanted to go back

To make me ride Mission Space

I told Riley that if I had to fly on an airplane that night, I was not about to ride Mission Space

The line to get in Epcot was HUGE. Since our flight didn't leave until 8pm, we had tons of time to kill, so we thought we'd go ahead in and do what we could.

What a difference a few days can make. The longest wait we had seen for Soarin was 30 minutes. Today

When we left it was 120 minutes

We decided to skip rides, since we had pretty much hit everything earlier, and just head back to World Showcase and do Kim Possible missions. We went through Innoventions to swipe our tickets for a Kim Possible time. On the way back to World Showcase, we swung by Test Track for fastpasses. Remember this picture from earlier in our trip?

Today the standby line was 80 minutes!

I think Riley picked Epcot because she wanted Mexican for lunch, so we did a stop at Cantina De San Angel. We went to pick up our Kimmunicator and since we had already done a mission, he let us skip right past the instructions, asked where we had been and then sent us to Germany. We had people asking us over and over to set the beer steins off in the store

We pushed for our next mission, and were sent to Japan. On the way we stopped in America to listen to the tail end of the Voices of Liberty, and the CM pulled Riley aside and told her there was a phone call for her. It was Goofy wishing her a Happy Birthday, and when she turned around, the CM gave her a certificate!

We went through and "saved" Japan. You have to love being welcomed to places like this

After the Japan mission, it made us give our Kimmunicator back. Boo! We were having so much fun we wanted to just keep going all day long, but it wouldn't budge, so we turned it in and kept walking the World Showcase. Riley was most excited to see Marie in France

And then these guys walked right by us so we followed to watch

On around to England, and we found Mary Poppins!
Old 02-22-2010, 06:59 PM   #141
Chelley00
DIS Veteran

We still had tons of time to kill, so I told Riley we could try to ride a few things. She was all for Figment first

We actually had to wait for Figment, so I knew I was ready to go! We had fastpasses for Test Track, so we headed that way, stopping by Club Cool first.

After Test Track we made our way out of the park, stopping for one final ride on Spaceship Earth,

and then a final picture. Do we not look tired?

We got out to the rental car just as it started raining. Another reason to be glad we were leaving. We had highs in the 80's pretty much all week, and they were calling for 60's and rain from then on.

We arrived at the airport, returned the rental car and went to ticketing to print our boarding passes. When the employee asked for my ID and confirmation number, he said "I see you came business class on the way here. You can't fly home in coach after being in business class!" and gave us the free upgrade to first class on the flight home. Score again!

We had quite a bit of time before our flight left, so we worked on finishing up Riley's homework. Unfortunately I packed my cell phone in our luggage and not in my carry on so I couldn't call DH when we landed. Thankfully, a nice couple from Viriginia on their way home from a cruise let me borrow their phone when they found out so I could have DH just meet us in the airport.

Our flight home was smooth as glass. Riley finished watching UP on the laptop while I took advantage of XM radio and just relaxed.

All our boys met us at the airport, and DS5 tackled me before I had a chance to set my suitcase down. It was so good to be home!!!!

Will be back to post a couple of photopass pictures I missed, and with a few final thougths
Old 02-23-2010, 10:48 AM   #142
JLR
DIS Veteran

What a wonderful report and what a good Mom you are. I really enjoyed this TR. It is helping me pass the time until my own trip.
Old 02-23-2010, 09:11 PM   #143
Tink9721
DIS Veteran

That was a great report!!! It looks like you two had a lot of fun! I just got back last night from my mother daughter trip. We had a great time I wish I had gotten to ride RNR 14 times!!! I only got on once The line was at least 90 minutes both days we were at DHS. I got a fastpass around 11 AM and the return time was 7:00! Then on our second day there they were out of fastpasses and it was about 1:30. But on that same day...the TOT line was only 20 minutes! My mom can't go on TOT so I rode once in the stand-by line, then used both of our tickets to get fastpasses two different times that day. 5 rides on TOT in one day

Next: Graduation trip in 2015!

Old 03-09-2010, 07:03 AM   #144
praisehisname
DIS Veteran

Finally all caught up, and now it's over. I really enjoyed your report; thanks for writing it!

07/87 DLR***05/98 All-Star Music***01/04 Polynesian/4-night Wonder***02/05 7-night Magic Eastern***
09/07 Beach Club***10/08 7-night Magic Special Western (double-dipping at Castaway Cay!!!)
***12/09 Pop Century***08/13 7 night Fantasy Western

Old 03-15-2010, 06:45 PM   #145
Chelley00
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLR View Post
What a wonderful report and what a good Mom you are. I really enjoyed this TR. It is helping me pass the time until my own trip.
I can't wait to read your report!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tink9721 View Post
I wish I had gotten to ride RNR 14 times!!! I only got on once
You should have went with us, and you could have ridden it with Riley while I sat and ate ice cream or something!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by praisehisname View Post
Finally all caught up, and now it's over. I really enjoyed your report; thanks for writing it!
I enjoyed writing it. I try and get the report done so I can reference while scrapping!

I've been trying to make it back for a few final comments, but I've been in and out of the hospital for the last 2 weeks because of a kidney stone! Who knew those could be so horrible! Mine was almost 6mm, which apparently is pretty big, and I had to postpone getting it blasted because I'm on blood thinners for an autoimmune disorder that can cause clots and had to be off of them for 7 days. I spent 4 nights in the hospital after 4 ER visits to try and get the pain under control. I finally had to have a stint placed, then got to come home for a weekend and had the sound wave blasting last Monday. It was a little crazy here for awhile. I'm still tired and sore, but feeling so much better than I was. Now I'm ready to finish our scrapbook and our trip report!
Old 03-15-2010, 06:52 PM   #146
Chelley00
DIS Veteran

Riley and I had a goal....to ride EVERY ride. I didn't realize she meant "rides that move" and not every attraction/show. A little miscommunication on our part, but once we got home, we went through her journals and the list of attractions on Allears.net and realized, we didn't do too bad at all if you take the non-moving stuff out!

The stuff we missed

Magic Kingdom
Astro Orbiter (have no idea how we missed it!)
Liberty Riverboat
Stitch's Great Escape (was down both time we tried!)

DHS
American Idol
Indiana Jones
Lights Motors Action
One Man's Dream

Epcot
Honey I Shrunk the Audience (Riley REFUSES to watch it)

Animal Kingdom - we had a second day planned, but the bus stop was busy and we were tired so we skipped it. This is my biggest regret of the trip!

Festival of the Lion King
Finding Nemo
Its Tough to be a Bug
Kali River Rapids

Everything else we rode at least once, and I'm happy to say that all the rides/shows/attractions we missed on this trip, we've experienced on another trip, so we can safely say we have ridden every ride, seen every show/parade/movie/attraction at Walt Disney World!!!
Old 03-15-2010, 07:14 PM   #147
Chelley00
DIS Veteran

What I'd do again:

Stay at AKL and splurge on the savannah view room. Well worth the money and Riley LOVED it. We had no problems with busses, food court, check in or check out, mousekeeping etc. Our stay there was pretty much perfect. Also, the look on Riley's face when I surprised her with staying there instead of CBR was priceless!

Pirate League makeover. Riley thought it one of the best parts of her trip. She got lots of souveniers from it to bring home, and she got a lot of attention.

Let Riley call the shots (for the most part) We did a lot more downtime swimming and resort exploration than I would have never planned since I'm so park commando, but letting Riley dictate those things made it for a nicer, more relaxed vacation.

Pins! Riley loved buying and trading pins. I started her out with 4 and had I known, I would have bought more and encouraged her to trade more. It was a good lesson in eye contact and approaching CM's and speech as well, as Riley can be a little shy and introverted if you let her.

Coral Reef and Fulton's. Riley still talks about this meal, and her dinner at Fultons. Fultons made her feel all grown up and very special, and she loved eating near the fish at Coral Reef.

The birthday shirts made for Riley. She got a lot of attention and special birthday wishes because of them. She was almost sick of people wishing her Happy Birthday by the end of the trip! It was just an extra touch that helped make her birthday special.

Had our photopass taken every day. We do this every trip, and I use it on the scrap page for each day with park map etc. It's fun to see how we looked each day, what the weather was like, which park we went to when etc.

Ordered from Garden Grocer. It was a little more expensive than if I would have shopped myself, but having someone else shop, deliver it and bring it to our room was so well worth it. It was nice to have breakfast items in the morning, bottled water and fruit in the room whenever we needed it, especially on the last few days when we no longer had the dining plan.

Things I'd skip if we did it again

The dining plan. It was just too much food for us, but it was nice to have everything paid for in advance. We ended up wasting some snack credits, and a couple of meals we really couldn't eat because we were too stuffed.

Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party. It was okay, but not really worth the money. The parade was cute, but just so so. Now, I'd do the Halloween party any day. We enjoyed it way more, the atmosphere is so much more exciting and it just seems like we had way better of a time at the Halloween parties than we did for the Christmas party. I wish instead we would have gone to the campfire at Fort Wildnerness, or just finished all the bead activities at AKL and went swimming again.

Sci Fi. Riley hated the campy horror clips, and the food was just not that good. The atmosphere was cute, but it just wasn't great.

The basket from memoriesbybetsy.com It was cute and Riley enjoyed it, but it was more stuff I had to try and cram in our suitcase to fly home, and it was expensive.

We would have flown home on Saturday instead of Sunday. Sunday was the Sunday before Thanksgiving so everything was super busy starting Saturday. The airport was really busy. We also got back late Sunday night and getting up for school/work on Monday morning was not fun!

Skip the rental car! It was a total waste of money! We were perfectly fine with the AKL busses, and I'm sure we would have been fine with Magical Express too.

Scheduled later dinners. I don't think we were truely hungry for dinner at 5-6pm every night, especially after such large lunches on the dining plan.
Old 03-15-2010, 08:19 PM   #148
ToriPeanut
Mouseketeer

great report!

are you going back again this year??

Me(27) DBF(25)
Old 03-15-2010, 09:00 PM   #149
pipersmom
DIS Veteran

I don't know how I missed your updates before hon, but I loved your TR. It was so cool reading about another mother/daughter team doing the world! I like the list of things you would/would not do over again as well. Looking fwd to seeing the photopass piccies when you get them!
Old 03-16-2010, 08:33 AM   #150
MeMom
DIS Veteran

This was a wonderful report! Letting it all be about Riley was excellent, Mom. I can't wait to take my grandchildren when they are a bit older and let it all be about them one kid at a time.

We had our last meal of the Christmas trip at AKL. We visit nearly every trip and dream of staying there someday.

Thanks for sharing your pictures and your mother-daughter fun with us.
Mingos in da Watah! http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2758143
Geen Yight: She's Out of Sight! http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2677011
My Name is NOT Broccoli www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2611094
From Pop to the Top www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2495977
Mother, May I? Yes, You May www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2448482
Ringing in 2010 www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2356794
Brooklynn Takes Bella to Meet Cinderella www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2209387
A Two Short, Too Different Spring Break Trip www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2122295
Over the river and through the FUN! http://www.disboards.com/showthread....1#post29060069
A Ten Day Ride on a Magic Camel www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1869591
Baby and the Tramp...and a Pop Half Century www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1470678

We've stayed at Pop Century, All Star Sports, All Star Movies, All Star Music, French Quarter, Wilderness Lodge, Animal Kingdom Lodge, Art of Animation, Beach Club, Vero Beach, Kidani Village and Saratoga Springs - many trips, and many wonderful, magical memories made.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: