Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-23-2009, 01:19 PM   #1
jagafen
Robo needs his own Bat-Light

Pirate Cruises for kiddos tipping question

Hey guys, I've either stumped the Passporters, or I'm asking a silly question....

We'd like for DS to do the Kiddie Pirate Cruise that departs from the GF....should we have a tip ready at pick-up for the supervising crew, and if so, how much? I'm REALLY confused about the tipping issue here....on a fireworks cruise, it's a given, but just making sure I'm covering all of my bases, I'd like to have $$ ready if need be....your input?

Previous Trips: 1989 Contemporary, 2008 AKL, 2008 2fer ASMo, 2010 Da Return to AKL
Our family:
Me, the planner
Hubby, the goer and doer
Our son, the reason we do it all
jagafen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 01:35 PM   #2
ajsrph
Mouseketeer

My boys did the pirate cruise that leaves from the YC on our last trip, and I did not tip...I never thought about it. I didn't tip the "babysitters" at the Sandcastle Club, either, when they went there for a few hours one night.
2007--Yacht Club...1st trip w/kids
2008--Yacht Club
2009--Yacht Club
2010--Yacht Club
2012--???
ajsrph is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-23-2009, 02:35 PM   #3
jagafen

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajsrph View Post
My boys did the pirate cruise that leaves from the YC on our last trip, and I did not tip...I never thought about it. I didn't tip the "babysitters" at the Sandcastle Club, either, when they went there for a few hours one night.
NEither did we when we used Simbas Club at AKL last time....I don't necssarily consider the Pirate Cruise babysitters, although, they are giving DH and I a few hours to ourselves...

If I may ask another question, what's the CM:Kid ratio...I'm assuming there will be more than one person on board with each group of kids.....I'm just a bit confused where the "do tip/don't tip" line really is.

Previous Trips: 1989 Contemporary, 2008 AKL, 2008 2fer ASMo, 2010 Da Return to AKL
Our family:
Me, the planner
Hubby, the goer and doer
Old 11-23-2009, 04:33 PM   #4
cmaee
DIS Veteran

My boys did the Albatross Pirate Cruise from the YC and we didn't tip either. I remember that a similar question to this was discussed on the DIS for Families board, but I don't remember what it concluded with in regards to why the CM's don't expect tips. The ratio of CM's to kids in my ds's group was 2 to 10 (I have a picture of them on the boat going under the bridge at the Boardwalk, so I was able to count the exact number of kids on the boat). I don't know what their max is, but they were running out the smallest size of life jackets, so I would venture that it wouldn't be too many more kids than what they had. Our boys had a FANTASTIC time! We are planning on them doing the GF Pirate Adventure on our next trip.

Spring 1995 - Magical Mickey Music Days March 2008 - Port Orleans Riverside April 2009 (Easter) - Coronado Springs
August 2010 - Beach Club
December 2010 (Christmas) - Pop Century December 2012 - Pop Century
November 2014 - Pop Century
cmaee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 05:37 PM   #5
disnut8
DIS Veteran

I didn't tip either. I believe I had to pay before the cruise anyway. It's really not expected and you won't really have a chance at the end since the kids come off the boat one by one so the Cast Members can ensure there is a legal adult getting them.
disnut8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 06:56 PM   #6
jagafen

Thanks guys, I appreciate it!!!

Our family:
Me, the planner
Hubby, the goer and doer
Old 11-23-2009, 07:53 PM   #7
shellybaxter
Dis Veteran
Disney Restaurants for one hundred Alex

I've never sent Dniece on the cruise - but I would tip. I tip the kids club people too. I mean - they take care of my niece which is way more important too me than someone who brings me a soda and a plate of food. I would probably tip $5 per attendant
shellybaxter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 08:25 PM   #8
llqool
DIS Veteran

Location: Stationed in Germany, but STILL a FL resident (yeah!!!!)

hmmm....haven't done the pirate cruise, but my understanding was they have the same policy as on the DCL -- they aren't supposed to accept cash tips. When we used the kids club on the cruise line, we gave small gifts to the CMs, but no cash
llqool is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: