Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-09-2012, 03:39 PM   #1321
poohj80
Got Hunny?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bzss7x View Post
On our upcoming Fantasy cruise (in July), all cabanas were taken by the concierge guests. No luck for any other guests, no matter how many times they had sailed.
That's what I was expecting...unfortunately!

FINALLY found Snow White after she was MIA dealing with a strike at the mine all week
poohj80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 05:03 PM   #1322
disneyholic family
Wayne always catches me
i cannot wear anything between my toes

is there piped in music in the adult cabanas?
or only in the family beach cabanas?
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-09-2012, 06:36 PM   #1323
princssdisnygina
Disney Princess

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneyholic family View Post
is there piped in music in the adult cabanas?
or only in the family beach cabanas?
There is no music piped in the Adult cabanas.
princssdisnygina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 06:42 PM   #1324
TLSnell1981

Sense isn't very common anymore
I can't wait for T shirts and cover ups

Quote:
Originally Posted by bzss7x View Post
On our upcoming Fantasy cruise (in July), all cabanas were taken by the concierge guests. No luck for any other guests, no matter how many times they had sailed.
Platinum CC members have the same window, as concierge guests.
Old 04-09-2012, 07:07 PM   #1325
ibouncetoo
I get excited by the little things!
I follow directions well!!!
I'm not allowed to buy any more craft supplies till I actually MAKE something LOL

They most likely will all be gone with Concierge and Platinum booking windows. (Not always the adult beach ones though.) HOWEVER....keep checking right up till your cruise as people DO cancel them. Also, check the day you get on board.

ALSO, join in your meets thread...I've know of DISers who were going to cancel 'something' who would alert DIS folks that something was becoming available. I've seen it happen with cabins, Palo reservations and cabanas.

Jackie '99-01AllStar Movies 02-03Many trips DLR '03 Nov AKL/Swan 04 April POFQ Oct offsite/Dolphin 05 Jan POP/WL,3DLR Nov POFQ/Wonder/POP 06 2DLR, Nov Magic DD 07 May DLR Dec SSR/Wonder 08 April DLR May Magic-WBPC Sept DLR 09 Sept WDW/Magic-Tortola Nov DLR 10 Jan Magic-Western, April EBTA 11 Jan 2Day Wonder April LA Repo/Alaska Nov Dream B2B 12 Wonder-Hawaii Dec Fantasy-SanJuan 13 2x DLR, Nov Dream 4 day
ibouncetoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 07:36 PM   #1326
disneyholic family
Wayne always catches me

Quote:
Originally Posted by princssdisnygina View Post
There is no music piped in the Adult cabanas.
what's your opinion of that?

my sister and i are going absolutely crazy trying to decide if we want a family or adult cabana (we're 3 adults)..

of the 3 of us, i'm the only one who has ever been on CC, so it's making it even harder to decide.
She's trying to choose based on what i tell her and all the pictures, videos and reports i'm able to dig up to send to her.
And i'm trying to choose based on a knowledge of CC that pre-dates the cabanas and the pelican point area.

thus far, i've come up with the following:

Family Cabana pros:
- family cabanas are closer to bathrooms/food
- family cabanas have a private beach
- the family cabana area is 'prettier' - cleaner, more developed

Family Cabana cons:
- family cabanas seem to be rather close together (hard to tell from pictures and videos, but they seem pretty close)
- in one of the videos posted online, you can hear quite a lot of noise coming from the public family beach. However, in another video from one cabana over, it's quiet - you only hear the music, no shouting from the other beach at all.
- the bathrooms and cookies 2 are used by that same mass of people at the public family beach

Adult Cabana pros:
- only 4 cabanas so i would assume the service is a bit more special - since there are so few of you there
- cabanas 18 and 21 seem really quite secluded compared to all other cabanas (both adult and family)
- no kiddies around (always a good thing)
- the bathroom and BBQ are used by relatively few people

Adult Cabana cons:
- far from bathrooms/food - although you can get a ride there and back. But i assume if all 4 cabanas are full, you might have to wait for your ride
- no private beach.
- the beach isn't as manicured as the family beach, not as pretty...
- windy - from the videos i've seen, serenity bay seems to be much windier than the family cabana area
- serenity bay is far away. takes a while to get there. not near other things in case we want to explore around to see what there is and then pop back to the cabana to rest. or we'll leave our mom in the cabana and then go shop or explore a bit on our own.

the price difference and lack of snorkel equipment is not an issue for us so i haven't added it above. (i don't care about the price difference and we're not going to snorkel)

i don't know if the piped in music or lack thereof is a pro or a con.
i'm thinking i like it, but i'm not sure if i like it for 8 hours straight.

ok. so based on the above, it seems i should go for the family cabana area.

do you think that makes sense?

also, anyone know the smoking policy on the two beaches?
is it the same? if different, that would be a determining factor (my sister and mom both had lung cancer that they got from second-hand smoke - they never smoked even one cigarette - so being around smoke is definitely on the con side of things).

wild card - what are the two areas like in the 3rd week of october, when we'll be there?

i'm losing my mind!!!
Old 04-09-2012, 08:57 PM   #1327
poohj80
Got Hunny?

We enjoyed the music in the family beach cabanas but must admit we cringed at hearing John Denver's Country Roads island style. ;-)

FINALLY found Snow White after she was MIA dealing with a strike at the mine all week
Old 04-09-2012, 10:36 PM   #1328
ibouncetoo
I'm not allowed to buy any more craft supplies till I actually MAKE something LOL

Quote:
what's your opinion of that?

my sister and i are going absolutely crazy trying to decide if we want a family or adult cabana (we're 3 adults)..

of the 3 of us, i'm the only one who has ever been on CC, so it's making it even harder to decide.
She's trying to choose based on what i tell her and all the pictures, videos and reports i'm able to dig up to send to her.
And i'm trying to choose based on a knowledge of CC that pre-dates the cabanas and the pelican point area.

Family Cabana pros:
- family cabanas are closer to bathrooms/food
- family cabanas have a private beach
- the family cabana area is 'prettier' - cleaner, more developed

Family Cabana cons:
- family cabanas seem to be rather close together (hard to tell from pictures and videos, but they seem pretty close)
- in one of the videos posted online, you can hear quite a lot of noise coming from the public family beach. However, in another video from one cabana over, it's quiet - you only hear the music, no shouting from the other beach at all.
- the bathrooms and cookies 2 are used by that same mass of people at the public family beach

Adult Cabana pros:
- only 4 cabanas so i would assume the service is a bit more special - since there are so few of you there
- cabanas 18 and 21 seem really quite secluded compared to all other cabanas (both adult and family)
- no kiddies around (always a good thing)
- the bathroom and BBQ are used by relatively few people

Adult Cabana cons:
- far from bathrooms/food - although you can get a ride there and back. But i assume if all 4 cabanas are full, you might have to wait for your ride
- no private beach.
- the beach isn't as manicured as the family beach, not as pretty...
- windy - from the videos i've seen, serenity bay seems to be much windier than the family cabana area
- serenity bay is far away. takes a while to get there. not near other things in case we want to explore around to see what there is and then pop back to the cabana to rest. or we'll leave our mom in the cabana and then go shop or explore a bit on our own.

the price difference and lack of snorkel equipment is not an issue for us so i haven't added it above. (i don't care about the price difference and we're not going to snorkel)

i don't know if the piped in music or lack thereof is a pro or a con.
i'm thinking i like it, but i'm not sure if i like it for 8 hours straight.

ok. so based on the above, it seems i should go for the family cabana area.

do you think that makes sense?

also, anyone know the smoking policy on the two beaches?
is it the same? if different, that would be a determining factor (my sister and mom both had lung cancer that they got from second-hand smoke - they never smoked even one cigarette - so being around smoke is definitely on the con side of things).

wild card - what are the two areas like in the 3rd week of october, when we'll be there?

i'm losing my mind!!!

Also, if you actually want to get IN the water and play/swim/float, the family beach area is much nicer for that (and 'netted' to inhibit large marine animals). I've done a FB cabana and loved it.

Jackie '99-01AllStar Movies 02-03Many trips DLR '03 Nov AKL/Swan 04 April POFQ Oct offsite/Dolphin 05 Jan POP/WL,3DLR Nov POFQ/Wonder/POP 06 2DLR, Nov Magic DD 07 May DLR Dec SSR/Wonder 08 April DLR May Magic-WBPC Sept DLR 09 Sept WDW/Magic-Tortola Nov DLR 10 Jan Magic-Western, April EBTA 11 Jan 2Day Wonder April LA Repo/Alaska Nov Dream B2B 12 Wonder-Hawaii Dec Fantasy-SanJuan 13 2x DLR, Nov Dream 4 day
Old 04-10-2012, 05:58 AM   #1329
disneyholic family
Wayne always catches me

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibouncetoo View Post
Also, if you actually want to get IN the water and play/swim/float, the family beach area is much nicer for that (and 'netted' to inhibit large marine animals). I've done a FB cabana and loved it.

what number cabana were you in? did you feel that the cabanas next to you were too close?

in the video below, at 0:54, you see a man standing at the cabana nextdoor and he seems really close.
was that disturbing to you?
i mean, if you happen to have a cabana next to you with 10 people, and they're that close - that's going to be the antithesis of peaceful and quiet, not to mention not very private.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WXEbktCYzs4

another thing that i'm really worried about is weather.
We'll be there in October. Will serenity bay be terribly windy? it somehow seems that the family beach is somewhat more protected from weather. But maybe not?
Old 04-10-2012, 06:25 AM   #1330
poohj80
Got Hunny?

Quote:
what number cabana were you in? did you feel that the cabanas next to you were too close?

in the video below, at 0:54, you see a man standing at the cabana nextdoor and he seems really close.
was that disturbing to you?
i mean, if you happen to have a cabana next to you with 10 people, and they're that close - that's going to be the antithesis of peaceful and quiet, not to mention not very private.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WXEbktCYzs4

another thing that i'm really worried about is weather.
We'll be there in October. Will serenity bay be terribly windy? it somehow seems that the family beach is somewhat more protected from weather. But maybe not?
We have now had a cabana on the family beach twice - #3 and #5 - and I preferred 5. 3 was too close to the roped off area of the family beach and we just felt like everyone was staring at us. 5 isn't that much farther down but we felt more isolated (if that makes sense). It was nice to be close to the restrooms and Cookies 2 with a 6 year old, so would definitely take 3 over 16. Yes, we could see the people in the cabana next to us but it wasn't that big of a deal as most everyone was down by the water.

Old 04-10-2012, 06:57 AM   #1331
disneyholic family
Wayne always catches me

Quote:
Originally Posted by poohj80 View Post
We have now had a cabana on the family beach twice - #3 and #5 - and I preferred 5. 3 was too close to the roped off area of the family beach and we just felt like everyone was staring at us. 5 isn't that much farther down but we felt more isolated (if that makes sense). It was nice to be close to the restrooms and Cookies 2 with a 6 year old, so would definitely take 3 over 16. Yes, we could see the people in the cabana next to us but it wasn't that big of a deal as most everyone was down by the water.
thanks! i was thinking of trying for cabana 7 (the one in that video).
i thought it would be far enough away for some quiet, but not too far for the bathrooms (60 year olds need it as much as 6 year olds ).

but that's if we decide to go with the family beach.

I'm just so unsure of what to do!! Family beach vs serenity bay

maybe i'll just flip a coin?
Old 04-10-2012, 08:19 AM   #1332
ibouncetoo

We had cabana #2, chosen for the proximity to Pelican Plunge (which you would be wanting to avoid) and bathrooms (two folks with mobility issues). Honestly I couldn't even tell you who the people were in the other cabanas, I barely even noticed them. And, just like the luck of the draw with folks in the cabins by yours on the ship, you can't really predict how your neighbors are going to behave!

I know I've not always been able to find QUIET at Serenity Bay, so you can't count on that either (though it is more likely). Basically, I just don't like the swiming conditions...especially if the tide is out.

Old 04-10-2012, 08:46 AM   #1333
disney minnie
DIS Veteran

We need two cabanas if we decide to book because we have so many people. 11
My in laws are concierge so they can book at 120 days and the rest of us are booking at 90. What are the chances in getting two and getting them next to each other? We would need the family beach because of the children and wish we could fit in one cabana instead of two.
disney minnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 08:52 AM   #1334
poohj80
Got Hunny?

Quote:
Originally Posted by disney minnie View Post
We need two cabanas if we decide to book because we have so many people. 11
My in laws are concierge so they can book at 120 days and the rest of us are booking at 90. What are the chances in getting two and getting them next to each other? We would need the family beach because of the children and wish we could fit in one cabana instead of two.
Make sure all your reservations are linked and just ask your in-laws to reserve 2 cabanas when their booking window opens.

Old 04-10-2012, 01:50 PM   #1335
Bear3412
DIS Veteran

Quote:

[
Great comparison list.
I didn't see any mention of the view in your list. I would prefer to see the ship in background, however I could live without the 2500 people on the beach view.
Also aren't they both about the same distance from the dock?
No swimming? on family high #ered units / must walk 3 minutes?
More rocks in / on beach at adult.

Just adding to your list for all.
Bear3412 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: