Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-01-2012, 04:07 PM   #1246
Brandis
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by gometros View Post
You'd be surprised at how many adults travel on DCL without kids.
Sure, but from what I saw on my 2 previous cruises it surely didn't feel that way.

On our first DCL cruise, in 2008, it was a beautiful sunny day on CC but there were barely more than 30 people on Serenity Bay all day long. We picked the 5 umbrella from the beach entrance and for the first 2 hours or so there was no one staying further up the beach except a group of people doing Yoga under a tree.

On our last visit, last september, it was a bit rainy on CC day, but the temperature was nice and by noon the sun started to come through the clouds but ours was the only cabana on SB to be used that day and even the buffet supervisor, who happened to be our head waiter on the ship, mentioned how quiet SB was on that day and how they had way too much food brought from the ship.

Also, most of the time we had the adult pool area to ourselves as well. It was really nice.

Wondering how it will be on our next cruise, in March.
Old 01-01-2012, 05:09 PM   #1247
shelbell77
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandis View Post
Sure, but from what I saw on my 2 previous cruises it surely didn't feel that way.

On our first DCL cruise, in 2008, it was a beautiful sunny day on CC but there were barely more than 30 people on Serenity Bay all day long. We picked the 5 umbrella from the beach entrance and for the first 2 hours or so there was no one staying further up the beach except a group of people doing Yoga under a tree.

On our last visit, last september, it was a bit rainy on CC day, but the temperature was nice and by noon the sun started to come through the clouds but ours was the only cabana on SB to be used that day and even the buffet supervisor, who happened to be our head waiter on the ship, mentioned how quiet SB was on that day and how they had way too much food brought from the ship.

Also, most of the time we had the adult pool area to ourselves as well. It was really nice.

Wondering how it will be on our next cruise, in March.
All five of our previous cruises were without children, as will the next two be. And two of the five were double dips at Castaway Cay. I've never experienced an empty Serenity Bay. In my experience if we don't get there within the first hour or so of being able to get off the ship its difficult to get seating at all. Thats why we're looking forward to our Cabana in April!

Shelley

shelbell77 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-01-2012, 05:32 PM   #1248
Brandis
DIS Veteran

Wow, must have been lucky!

Here is a picture from our first visit in 2009 (not 2008 as I said before):

And some from last september:

Buffet area at noon:

Around 12:20 PM:

Around 12:30 PM (Many chairs still untouched):

About 1:30 PM:

But back on topic, we really liked the cabana, even (or maybe just because) it was raining a bit in the morning. Also, my uncle doesn't like to swim and my aunt can't walk very well in sand because of a knee surgery, so they enjoyed having a comfortable place to relax.

I had fun with the innertube provided, as it is clear plastic I used it as a sorts of underwater viewing instrument. Discovered a hermit crab in a conch shell and brought it ashore so my uncle could take a picture of it (of course returned it to the water afterwards:

BTW, those crabs seem to have really good hearing, every time my uncle's camera made the shutter clicking sound, it retreated into the shell really fast and then cautiously and slowy came back out after a few seconds.
Old 01-01-2012, 05:55 PM   #1249
FJS961
DIS Veteran

Our Dream cruise in March was full yet our first and only visit to serenity bay found it very quiet with very few people out there and a sparse lunch area as well
FJS961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 01:27 AM   #1250
Reto
Baloo's Best Buddy:-)

On my Nov 6, 2011 Dream cruise, I was blessed with a SB cabana and I also found SB to be quite empty pretty much all day long. Tons of empty chairs I'm telling you! We had two quick rain showers passing through just after 1pm - other than that it was a fine day. Even one of the SB cabanas (#21) wasn't occupied that day. Perhaps the loudest thing that day was the strong wind

Here's a pic of SB looking north taken at 2:35pm:

Serenity Bay on Disney's Castaway Cay Island by Reto Kurmann, on Flickr

Myself enjoying the water at 11:34am: Most chairs on the north end of SB remained empty all day long.

Looking from cabana #19 onto SB at 2:38pm:

Serenity Bay Cabana #19 on Disney's Castaway Cay Island by Reto Kurmann, on Flickr

The northernmost chairs at 10:28pm - they remained like that all day long:

We went to the BBQ just a bit after 12 noon and had no difficulties finding an empty table.

The best tip I can give to everyone wanting to have a quiet space (even without a cabana!) is to walk as far north as possible on SB. Yes, it will be a longer walk down to the BBQ and the restrooms, but your chair location will be as quiet as it gets on CC.

I, for myself, loved my cabana. It was the first time I had one and I'm definitely planning to go after one for my Nov. 10 Fantasy cruise. I liked having a place to drop my stuff and leave my valuables in the safe. Also loved having the sunscreen being provided - can't have enough of it on my European skin. And Nelson from Honduras was such a nice guy! I ran into him a couple times on the ship after our CC stop and he always had time for a little chat.

Finally, some pics of cabana #19:

Looking over to #20 and #21:

Serenity Bay Cabana #19 on Disney's Castaway Cay Island by Reto Kurmann, on Flickr

Cabana #19 in the foreground, #20 to the left of it:

Serenity Bay Cabana #19 on Disney's Castaway Cay Island - Front View by Reto Kurmann, on Flickr

Beach access, conveniently located between #18 and #19:

Serenity Bay Cabana #19 on Disney's Castaway Cay Island - Beach Access by Reto Kurmann, on Flickr

Looking straight out of #19 to SB:

View from Serenity Bay Cabana #19 on Disney's Castaway Cay Island by Reto Kurmann, on Flickr

And for those of you preferring a video - here's a walk through my cabana and then down to the water: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YMZILbWqtyI
11/2012: 4 Nights Lion King Suite @ Art of Animation & 5 Nights Wilderness Lodge & 7 Nights Disney Fantasy Western Caribbean Cruise
05/2013: 4th WDW Visit - 7 Nights Saratogs Springs 2-Bedroom Villa
Reto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 10:10 AM   #1251
gometros
WDWWDS Chief Weapons Inspector and Cruise Captain
Solemnly swears always to leave the tagging to the experts!! :p

I think a lot of it depends on what time of the year you cruise. We cruise mostly in the fall, when schools are open. Definitely more adults traveling without kids then. While I've never really seen SB packed, you had to get up early to get a hammock, although you could get one eventually later in the day. I haven't been to Castaway Cay on the Dream, so I don't have a feel for what the additional passenger capacity feels like, so it'll be interesting to see the difference in September.

gometros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 01:31 PM   #1252
DVC Jen
DIS Veteran
Wigs out even the biggest circus freaks!
Proudly wears the title of WEIRDEST DISer!

Thanks for all the photos - beautiful

Check Out My Disney Vacation Photos My Disney Family Vacation Galleries
DVC Jen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 07:35 PM   #1253
TheQueenMum
Minding the Princesses

Can anyone tell me in infants (children under 2yrs) count as 'people' for the purposes of cabana rental? Will I have to pay $50 each of them if we have 6 adults?

Thanks!

and two very tolerant dogs.

TheQueenMum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 07:46 PM   #1254
ibouncetoo
I get excited by the little things!
I follow directions well!!!
I'm not allowed to buy any more craft supplies till I actually MAKE something LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheQueenMum View Post
Can anyone tell me in infants (children under 2yrs) count as 'people' for the purposes of cabana rental? Will I have to pay $50 each of them if we have 6 adults?

Thanks!
Yes you will have to pay for infants.

Our cabana had a pack-n-play in it when we arrived (had a 22mo old with us), I wasn't expecting that and was delightfully surprised. Though, when placed in it after lunch my great nephew said..."Sleep? WHY?"
(he had a point!)

Jackie '99-01AllStar Movies 02-03Many trips DLR '03 Nov AKL/Swan 04 April POFQ Oct offsite/Dolphin 05 Jan POP/WL,3DLR Nov POFQ/Wonder/POP 06 2DLR, Nov Magic DD 07 May DLR Dec SSR/Wonder 08 April DLR May Magic-WBPC Sept DLR 09 Sept WDW/Magic-Tortola Nov DLR 10 Jan Magic-Western, April EBTA 11 Jan 2Day Wonder April LA Repo/Alaska Nov Dream B2B 12 Wonder-Hawaii Dec Fantasy-SanJuan 13 2x DLR, Nov Dream 4 day

ibouncetoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 08:00 PM   #1255
TheQueenMum
Minding the Princesses

Thanks for the super-quick reply!

and two very tolerant dogs.

TheQueenMum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 10:38 PM   #1256
Mazz519
DIS Veteran

Cabana Rentals Castaway Cay

Heres a question that Im sure has been asked a million times. How far out can you book a Cabana ? And how is it done ? Thanks
Mazz519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 01:00 AM   #1257
Reto
Baloo's Best Buddy:-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazz519 View Post
Heres a question that Im sure has been asked a million times. How far out can you book a Cabana ? And how is it done ? Thanks
Cabanas can be booked by logging into your reservation and then on the port adventures page for Castaway Cay. But beware, they go real fast! You have to log in right at the minute booking opens.

How early you can book depends on what level you are in the Castaway Club (or how many times you've cruised with DCL so far). First-time cruisers may book at 75 days before departure, Silver Castaway Club members (1-5 cruises) at 90 days out, Gold members (5-10 cruises) at 105 days and Platinum members (more than 10 completed cruises) at 120 days. Note that in order to book a cabana, you must have paid your cruise in full.
11/2012: 4 Nights Lion King Suite @ Art of Animation & 5 Nights Wilderness Lodge & 7 Nights Disney Fantasy Western Caribbean Cruise
05/2013: 4th WDW Visit - 7 Nights Saratogs Springs 2-Bedroom Villa
Reto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 09:53 AM   #1258
speedo
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reto View Post
But beware, they go real fast! You have to log in right at the minute booking opens.
You are not kidding I was on at midnight last night at 120 for concierge and already half were booked. I was able to get #6 last night. Out of curiosity I I checked availability this morning and all but 2 on serenity bay were booked.

Do you think there were that many people online booking these at midnight at120 days out or do you think some of the cabanas are held back? Either way I am glad I got up in the middle of the night because I would have been really disappointed to find out from concierge that there were none left this morning.

Anyone have any reviews of #6. Also I read on WDWinfo it says the cabana host is no longer included in the price. I suppose it is not a big deal just curious if the amenities changed for 2012? or maybe WDWinfo has bad information? http://www.wdwinfo.com/wdwinfo/cruis...astawaycay.cfm
speedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 11:11 AM   #1259
Annette_VA
DIS Veteran

I just watched the video from the link above & saw that the cooler is stocked with regular Coke, Diet Coke, Sprite, etc. Has anyone had any luck getting drinks switched out? We'd only drink Diet Coke & water. I'd love to be able to have our fridge stocked w/ just those. Think it's possible?
Old 01-20-2012, 01:50 PM   #1260
kritter
I need a Disney FIX!!
Trades her hubby for "Make me an offer"

We were concierges last time next cruise we will be gold but not concierges what are the chances in Nov. of getting a cabana on the Fantasty?

TIA!!
Jan 2003-Twins first trip, September 2003-Grand Floridian-bought DVC SSR, July/Aug. 2004-Dolphin and SSR, September 2005-SSR, October 2006-SSR and DCL Eastern Halloween Cruise,June 2007-SSR, Star Wars Weekend, Sept. 2007- SSR,April 2008-SSR, June/July 2008-SSR and Vero Beach, Oct. 2008- DCL Eastern-Pirates in Paradise and SSR, Easter/April 2009,-BCV, Aug. 2009-DCL Eastern Tortola Treasure Seekers Cruise-in a CAT 3 and SSR, Dec. 2009, SSR - Feb. 2010, - OKW -April 2010-[COLOR="SeaGreen"]SSR - June/July 2010-- SSR and Vero Beach Oct.2010--OKW
Feb. 2011 OKW April 2011 SSR Aug. 2011 Vero Beach, DCL The Dream-DD, SSR, Oct. 2011 SSR Jan. 2012 OKW April 2012 SSR June 2012 DCL, Magic out of NYC June/July 2012 SSR, Vero Beach November 2012 40th Birthday Cruise DCL Thanksgiving Fantasy
kritter is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: