Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-13-2011, 09:24 PM   #1216
ibouncetoo
I get excited by the little things!
I follow directions well!!!
I'm not allowed to buy any more craft supplies till I actually MAKE something LOL

Just got back from the Dream and we had cabana #2 for a party of 10 (three generations) and it was the best vacation money I ever spent (well, becides the actual cruise!). Perfect day for the two of us great aunts who aren't so mobil and not sun worshipers. The kids loved it and we used the floats, sand toys, bikes but didn't have time to snorkel. The cabana was well stocked but we did ask for the snack basket to be supplentmted (there were like three bags of chips and a couple of 'bars'. Not enough for this salty-cruncy crowd. Quick walk over to Pelican Plunge (where the most reticient of the kids rode it and loved it).

Location was great...the walk from the cabin to the restrooms was shorter than most of the restaurant to restroom walks on the ship! We had about a 15 minute rain drizzel around two o'clock, other than that the weather was perfect.
Jackie '99-01AllStar Movies 02-03Many trips DLR '03 Nov AKL/Swan 04 April POFQ Oct offsite/Dolphin 05 Jan POP/WL,3DLR Nov POFQ/Wonder/POP 06 2DLR, Nov Magic DD 07 May DLR Dec SSR/Wonder 08 April DLR May Magic-WBPC Sept DLR 09 Sept WDW/Magic-Tortola Nov DLR 10 Jan Magic-Western, April EBTA 11 Jan 2Day Wonder April LA Repo/Alaska Nov Dream B2B 12 Wonder-Hawaii Dec Fantasy-SanJuan 13 2x DLR, Nov Dream 4 day

ibouncetoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 01:21 PM   #1217
gometros
WDWWDS Chief Weapons Inspector and Cruise Captain
Solemnly swears always to leave the tagging to the experts!! :p

A friend of mine was on the Dream in October and her opinion was that if you were going to Serenity Bay, the cabanas weren't as necessary as if you were on the family beach. I'd love to hear opinions of people that used the cabanas on Serenity Bay.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-15-2011, 01:47 PM   #1218
poohj80
Got Hunny?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gometros View Post
A friend of mine was on the Dream in October and her opinion was that if you were going to Serenity Bay, the cabanas weren't as necessary as if you were on the family beach. I'd love to hear opinions of people that used the cabanas on Serenity Bay.
I can definitely see this especially if you are just one couple. The one adult only cruise we did, there was hardly anyone on Serenity beach at all.

FINALLY found Snow White after she was MIA dealing with a strike at the mine all week
poohj80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 01:58 PM   #1219
Brandis
DIS Veteran

I have been on Castaway Cay twice, first time on the Wonder and recently on the Dream, both times I went to Serenity Bay and both times the beach was almost deserted, plenty of beach chairs available.

Now, on the last visit with the Dream, the weather wasn't that good, most of the morning it was raining, but the air was still warm and the water was great. That time I had rented a cabana, as my uncle and aunt were with us and they didn't want to swim, so especially for them I think it was great we had the cabana, it was dry and the lounge chairs were much more comfortable than the plastic chairs on the beach.

So I think, if you want to spoil yourself, try to get a cabana, if the price is OK for your. They are quite expensive, after all. But I wouldn't say they are neccessary if you just want to stay away from other people, Serenity Bay should be big enough.

By the way, while I was able to grab the last cabana online on day 90 before the cruise, ours was the only one occupied on the day we were there, the other renters probably had cancelled because of the weather.

In March, we are doing another cruise on the Dream, then it will stop on Castaway Cay twice. Then, it will also be just my partner and me. Not sure yet if we should treat ourselves to a cabana for one of the 2 visits.
Brandis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 02:54 PM   #1220
Brandis
DIS Veteran

Here are a couple of pictures from our Sept. 25 visit to Castaway Cay:

Also, the Lunch Buffet at Serenity Bay wasn't very busy:
Brandis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 07:30 AM   #1221
dgundry
Disney's In My DNA

Just lucked out and got the last cabana available for a 2/2/12 cruise available at 75 days out! (At least as far as online availability goes.)

We are going to be in Cabana #20 on Serenity Bay and I will be sure to post pictures and a report to this thread along with any tips I find about other cabanas.

dgundry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 12:25 PM   #1222
CarolAnnC
Caught Smuggling Jello Shot Syringes From PI
Likes to shoot off her glock in chat
Goin' to the Chapel

Quote:
My husband and I rented one on the DVC Member Cruise this year and we we thrilled with it. We took it on the first Castaway Cay day which was perfect, just a few tiny showers at one point. The second CC day had some downpours so I don't know how those folks panned out with their cabanas.

The beach and buffet at Serenity Bay were both crowded due to the sold out cruise I am sure. Our steward drove us over and we filled our plates to drive back. He even offered to grab us drinks at the bar, which was above and beyond IMHO.

The beach was crowded there, so having our own little quiet haven was perfect. We took advantage of the floats and tubes and our hammock as well. The snacks and beverages were convenient and great. We will definitely plan for this again some time, if possible.

Oh, and towards the end of the day while DH and I were sitting inside near the back door, two people took it upon themselves to "tour" the area. All of a sudden we heard footsteps and there appeared a middle aged man and woman who looked like deer in the headlights. The stammered something about "touring" what they thought was an empty cabana and ran off. I saw them entering one two over from us so I informed the CM who picked us up to bring us back to the shopping and tram later. He stated emphatically that is absolutely not allowed and he was going to investigate (after we pointed them out on the way). No squatters allowed, lol.
Old 11-20-2011, 05:11 PM   #1223
princssdisnygina
Disney Princess

Quote:
We have had a cabana twice now on Serenity Bay and loved it! We will definitely be doing it again! No, the beach isn't as crowded but it is nice to have a private area of your own with sodas and snacks as well as towels, nice loungers, a safe and a personal concierge! The two Attendants we had went above and beyond to help us and make us have a great day! Of course he drove us anywhere and he got us drinks from the bar. To us, it was well worth the money. Not to mention the floaties and the hammock!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgundry View Post
Just lucked out and got the last cabana available for a 2/2/12 cruise available at 75 days out! (At least as far as online availability goes.)

We are going to be in Cabana #20 on Serenity Bay and I will be sure to post pictures and a report to this thread along with any tips I find about other cabanas.
I just had Cabana #20 in September! There is one more cabana that doesn't open up until being onboard.
princssdisnygina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 05:26 PM   #1224
justmestace

Thinks California needs Disney cruise ships!
Has snorkeled all over the Bahamas and the Caribbean

Quote:
Originally Posted by princssdisnygina View Post
We have had a cabana twice now on Serenity Bay and loved it! We will definitely be doing it again! No, the beach isn't as crowded but it is nice to have a private area of your own with sodas and snacks as well as towels, nice loungers, a safe and a personal concierge! The two Attendants we had went above and beyond to help us and make us have a great day! Of course he drove us anywhere and he got us drinks from the bar. To us, it was well worth the money. Not to mention the floaties and the hammock!

I just had Cabana #20 in September! There is one more cabana that doesn't open up until being onboard.

Can you remind me again of the cost, and how many people are allowed? Thanks!
justmestace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 05:39 PM   #1225
ppiew
DIS Veteran

I know it is $100 less than those at the family beach. Not sure of how many though.
The benefit (to me anyway) to the SB cabanas is that IF you get a rainshower you have a neat spot to escape into!!! So many people head for the ship while those in the cabanas ride out the rain and then are back on the beach enjoying the sun. Personally I saw that adults at SB used their cabana more than the people at the FB because parents there were down at the waterfront with the toddlers while the cabana remained empty.
ppiew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 05:46 PM   #1226
Kim&Chris
dreaming of relaxing & soaking up the warm sun at Serenity Bay....

Hi Everyone,

Just a quick note...today is my first day back after our 11/17 3-night cruise. We were fortunate enough to snag Cabana #4 for our trip, and I just wanted to tell you that it was worth EVERY PENNY, in my opinion. The cabanas are beautiful and comfortable. We had a very short walk to Cookies Too and the bathrooms. The beach was beautiful and, at times, we were the only ones in the water. We had eight people, so we paid $599. Yes, that's a lot of money, but not too horrible if you can share the expense with other folks.

It was WONDERFUL!!
Kim&Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 06:00 PM   #1227
andersonfamily
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by justmestace View Post
Can you remind me again of the cost, and how many people are allowed? Thanks!
499 for family beach
399 for adult beach

Up to 6 people and $50 per additional up to eight I believe.
2014 Fantasy 7 Day Cruise 3/15/2014
DD9, DD7, DS5

andersonfamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 08:01 PM   #1228
stingfancb
DIS Veteran

so confused..... I booked Cabana #19 for our Feb cruise - when I go back in to look at other choices, Cabana #19 is still there to choose from. If I go into my cruise plans - it shows up in my itinerary.
Old 11-20-2011, 08:11 PM   #1229
ThePhantomsGirl
I was born to cruise!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stingfancb View Post
so confused..... I booked Cabana #19 for our Feb cruise - when I go back in to look at other choices, Cabana #19 is still there to choose from. If I go into my cruise plans - it shows up in my itinerary.
It will only show for YOU. I had the same thing happen when my friend and I reserved a cabana for our February cruise. I went in and saw it still on the list and I was afraid there was a mistake. The CM explained to me that is because you can make changes to it - such as cancel it if you need to.

So, no worry - you have your cabana reserved!

1/27/07 Western Caribbean Disney Magic; 2/2/12 Disney Dream Bahamas; 4/28/12 Disney Fantasy Western Caribbean; 1/27/13 Carnival Legend; 9/7/13 Disney Fantasy Eastern Caribbean; 1/25/14 Disney Fantasy Eastern Caribbean; 2/16/14 Disney Dream Bahamas; 9/6/14 Disney Magic WBTA
ThePhantomsGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 08:22 PM   #1230
stingfancb
DIS Veteran

Ohhhhh.... Makes sense. Thanks.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: