Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-13-2011, 08:54 AM   #1201
poohj80
Got Hunny?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Namsupak View Post
I believe it is at the Pelican Point Tram Stop, it is a small hut to the left of the covered area where people were waiting for the Tram.
We saw the hut and waited about 5 minutes with everyone else, but there was no one there so we just walked to our cabana.

FINALLY found Snow White after she was MIA dealing with a strike at the mine all week
poohj80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 02:25 PM   #1202
andersonfamily
Mouseketeer

Logistically it would be hard to have snorkel gear at the cabana - you have to give them your shoe size for the fins.
2014 Fantasy 7 Day Cruise 3/15/2014
DD9, DD7, DS5

andersonfamily is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-17-2011, 06:34 AM   #1203
tsouth
Mousehouse Lover

Snorkle gear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by poohj80 View Post
We saw the hut and waited about 5 minutes with everyone else, but there was no one there so we just walked to our cabana.
We've had a cabana twice now. Both times there was less than a minute wait for the gear. I think it works out well because the hut is located close to where you want to snorkel. You don't have to lug everything back and forth.

T.
tsouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 09:54 AM   #1204
dizzi
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjaclyn View Post
Hi all
We're looking into renting a Cabana for our Eastern Caribbean Cruise in January and I have a few questions. I'm sure some (or all) of these questions have already been answered in this thread, but with over 1100 posts I'd go crazy if I had to look through all of these pages! Any help is greatly appreciated.

1. I saw somewhere online that a cabana on the family beach that holds 6 people is $500. That price seems very steep to me and would mean that we would not be able to do any other excursions on the cruise. Would those of you who have rented before say that it's worth the price?We got a cabana in January, we split it with another group of 3 so thankfully we didnt have to pay the whole price. IT WAS COLD and i dont think i would have sat on the beach if we didnt have the cabana, it was nice and there were plenty of places to sit. BUT we also had 2 other excursions that day as we were celebrating an 18th bday, i think had it been warmer we would have enjoyed it more glad i wasn't stuck to it all day

2. What are the top 3 Cabanas to rent on the family beach? I am looking for closest to restrooms and food if possible. as said before #1 is closest, which is what we had...BUT at that time it was also a handicap accessible so we had to wait til a certain time to rent it AND NO HAMMOCK for this particular unit

5. Since we are going in January, do you think spending $500 for a cabana is too big of a risk considering the weather could be really cold? I guess it depends on where u are from and what i consider cold, we lived in fot lauderdale at the time and to me it was cold on the beach most of the day although there were plenty of people in the water. WE did 2 water sport activities and thankfully it was the warmest part of the day for them. if money was not an issue i would do it again, but since it always is for us, i probally wont do it again unless sharing the expense and making it a lazy dazy day and in the middle of summer. If i have to go again in January i most likely wont get off the boat except to take walk in the heat of the day.

Thanks so much everyone!!
OF COURSE and as i always say.....everything is what you make it on a vacation!!! if you think it is gonna be cold take some extra towels and blankets and enjoy the view covered up and bring some great books and some extra things for the kids to do.

NOT MUCH OF A BETTER VIEW ANYWHERE!!!!
Old 10-17-2011, 10:02 AM   #1205
poohj80
Got Hunny?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsouth View Post
We've had a cabana twice now. Both times there was less than a minute wait for the gear. I think it works out well because the hut is located close to where you want to snorkel. You don't have to lug everything back and forth.

T.
My comment was about the cabana check-in hut at the tram stop, not picking up snorkel gear.

FINALLY found Snow White after she was MIA dealing with a strike at the mine all week
Old 10-17-2011, 10:46 AM   #1206
dizzi
DIS Veteran

we had a bit of a problem checking int to our hut not much direction etc...but you can read about it way back in this thread....hopefully they have it fixed by now.
Old 11-01-2011, 07:18 PM   #1207
MouseinMelbourne
DIS Veteran

Can anyone tell me about Cabana 5?

We sail in 4 days and after 86 days of checking twice a day....A CABANA FINALLY OPENED!! Of course, I snagged it immediately.

Can anyone give me a review of Cabana #5? The good, the bad, and the ugly?
MouseinMelbourne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 07:27 PM   #1208
ppiew
DIS Veteran

We had Cabana #5 last spring. It is close to the middle of the cabanas or actually closer to the gate to Cookies Too and the restrooms. All Cabanas are alike with the exception of one which has an Electrical Outlet. The cabanas are really nice and they had a pull around curtain for privacy while changing (nice touch). They gave us suntan lotion, stocked the fridge, etc. My only regret was that our group was at the cabana so seldom they hardly enjoyed it. Besides adults we had children ages 7 & 8 and the older ones were 13 & 14. It seemed to me everyone was gone either to eat, to the restroom, on an excursion, never around ,etc. Oh well, as grandparents we loved the solitude. it is a great location but most of the cabanas are.
ppiew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 06:59 AM   #1209
MouseinMelbourne
DIS Veteran

Does anyone know if you can walk from the private cabana beach to the beach at Pelican Plunge via the beach? I saw that there is a wooden fence separating the two beaches. Is there a gate there? I'd rather my DD stay in sight while going back and forth. How about swimming over?
Old 11-02-2011, 07:03 AM   #1210
MouseinMelbourne
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppiew View Post
We had Cabana #5 last spring. It is close to the middle of the cabanas or actually closer to the gate to Cookies Too and the restrooms. All Cabanas are alike with the exception of one which has an Electrical Outlet. The cabanas are really nice and they had a pull around curtain for privacy while changing (nice touch). They gave us suntan lotion, stocked the fridge, etc. My only regret was that our group was at the cabana so seldom they hardly enjoyed it. Besides adults we had children ages 7 & 8 and the older ones were 13 & 14. It seemed to me everyone was gone either to eat, to the restroom, on an excursion, never around ,etc. Oh well, as grandparents we loved the solitude. it is a great location but most of the cabanas are.
Thanks for the review! My in-laws were supposed to go on this cruise with us, so that was what first got me looking at a cabana. They ended up backing out, but I was determined to get the cabana still! LOL! I think we'll enjoy it. We're not watersports people and usually like to just hang out anyway. Thanks for taking care of #5 for us.
Old 11-02-2011, 07:21 AM   #1211
quickcat
Mouseketeer

I seen a picture in this thread many pages back that shows the difference between the family beach crowd and the private cabana beach with very few people. I am thinking that is from the Dream and when the Magic docks there the family beach will not be as crowded, did anyone find if this is true? We have a cabana for our cruise in January but I am wondering if the crowds on the family beach wont be as bad now that they expanded for the Dream? Thanks!
quickcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 08:42 AM   #1212
Iceman93
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MouseinMelbourne View Post
Does anyone know if you can walk from the private cabana beach to the beach at Pelican Plunge via the beach? I saw that there is a wooden fence separating the two beaches. Is there a gate there? I'd rather my DD stay in sight while going back and forth. How about swimming over?
Yes, there is a gate that is manned by a CM who checks for cabana wristbands when you cross back into the private beach area. Technically it is possible to swim over, but there are buoys marking off the private beach and I heard the lifeguard yell at one person who swam over them. Probably best to use the beach and gate.
Old 11-02-2011, 10:02 AM   #1213
poohj80
Got Hunny?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MouseinMelbourne View Post
We sail in 4 days and after 86 days of checking twice a day....A CABANA FINALLY OPENED!! Of course, I snagged it immediately.

Can anyone give me a review of Cabana #5? The good, the bad, and the ugly?
Here's Cabana #5 from the beach...

Old 11-02-2011, 06:19 PM   #1214
MouseinMelbourne
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman93 View Post
Yes, there is a gate that is manned by a CM who checks for cabana wristbands when you cross back into the private beach area. Technically it is possible to swim over, but there are buoys marking off the private beach and I heard the lifeguard yell at one person who swam over them. Probably best to use the beach and gate.
YIPPEE!! Thanks for the info!
Old 11-12-2011, 10:02 AM   #1215
wink13
Just a bit Goofy

Great information. We have cabana #6 booked for our Feb, 2012 stop. Looking forward to checking everything out.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: