Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-20-2010, 01:37 PM   #46
js
Good things come to those who wait
Joyful Mommy, WISHer, cruiser
Wants to see Tinkerbell fly!

Quote:
Originally Posted by joksten2000 View Post
There will be a base price probably $600 for 4 people plus extra fee for additional plus a minimum amount of food and liquids. People will pay it just to brag about it. Foolish waste of money.
I certainly woudln't pay it just to brag about it but I can tell you if it is offered, I will certainly try to get one for our double dipper cruise in July 2011.
We have two conencting 6b verandah rooms for my family of 4 and my mom, using our points that my mother purchased for us last year.
In another two cabins (inside across from us) will be my sister and her family, staying in the rooms that my mother purchased for them (not on points).

I think it will be a nice gesture for my sister and I to go in half for the cabanna being that my mother paid for the cruise. Why would I brag about paying it just to brag

I am not in concierge so I do hope I get the chance to get one, and so hope that a family of 10 can rent one.

Come to think of it, if I happen to be lucky enough to get one, I may actually come on here and tell everyone since I will be so happy we were able to do this for my mother. I know most on here will be happy, not thinking I am bragging
Old 02-20-2010, 01:39 PM   #47
aidtrismommy
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibouncetoo View Post
There won't be two ships there at the same time.

Oh. That's good to know.
2010 CBR*2011 BWV*2011 Disney Dream*2012 BCV
2013 OKW*2014 Disney Magic*2014 THV
aidtrismommy is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-20-2010, 01:45 PM   #48
js

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davids-Coco View Post
Thanks so much for the link.

Can anyone tell me, will there no longer be a teen beach.
We usually sail RCCL but sailing on Dream next year with my mom and sister that has three little boys.
My children will be 13 and 17, so I had hoped if they wanted some "alone" time away from the family, they could go over to the teen beach.
Thank you.
Old 02-20-2010, 02:20 PM   #49
calmpets
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by js View Post
Why would I brag about paying it just to brag
I think a many people will pay lots of money just to say they've had something others didn't. Doesn't make it wrong or right, but I can certainly see where bragging rights would come into play with the cabanas. It's a prestige thing.
Old 02-20-2010, 04:05 PM   #50
js

Quote:
Originally Posted by calmpets View Post
I think a many people will pay lots of money just to say they've had something others didn't. Doesn't make it wrong or right, but I can certainly see where bragging rights would come into play with the cabanas. It's a prestige thing.
Oh, LOL. I never would consider getting a cabanna for one day a prestige thing to brag about. Too many other fun and important things to do LOL

So, you think there will be people that don't really have the money to pay for it but do so just to say they did without really wanting it?
Oh goodness, those silly poor people. I just hope they don't get one and take my slot!!
Old 02-20-2010, 04:19 PM   #51
Davids-Coco
Sometimes my inner monologue isn't so inner

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibouncetoo View Post
Nooooo...we're talking about the BEACH area in front of it being private. (At least that's what I was talking about)

Lol, that makes more sense! I am doubtful the beach area will be private. If it was, I'd imagine we'd see it said in every interview and piece of info out there... because that would really create hype.
Old 02-20-2010, 09:41 PM   #52
ruadisneyfan2
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by n0pa View Post
I am sorry for being so naive, but I don't see why Disney would charge $600 for the base buy-in (other then because they think they can). Other Cruise lines top at out that price, for Disney to start there would just be crazy. They have said there will be the ability to add other services on so does that mean that the Cabana's could top out out at over $1,000?

To be honest at that price the value is really not there considering the following:
  1. You don't have a private beach.
  2. The cabana's look like they are on top of each other, not much privacy.
  3. Cookies is almost right behind them.
  4. You are still at the "Family Beach" (ie. kids will be running and yelling).
  5. They still have to sell these on 3 and 4 day cruises where $600 to $1000 can be almost 50% of the cruise cost for a party of 2.
  6. There are 20 of them.

I find the base of $600 a day a little steep and considering no one has any real evidence (not even hear say), not a accurate figure.
Not only 50% for 3/4 day cruises. $1000 is almost half price for my parents and inlaws on our 7 nt Halloween cruise on the Magic. And that's even for cat 9. They could have gone even cheaper.

Quote:
Originally Posted by misseulalie View Post
For $600, It also better come with a private Italian butler whose name is Marcello and wears a teeny-tiny speedo!!!
How 'bout Johnny Depp as Jack Sparrow. Barefeet, no shirt, and his pants riding on the low side. mmmmm.....

ok, back to reality. I'd rather put that $ down as a future cruise deposit. That's just me. I'm sure people will enjoy them. Their limited quantity will keep prices high.
Old 02-21-2010, 11:49 AM   #53
bigAWL
DIS Veteran

I personally am sceptical about how popluar these cabanas will remain after a while. Looking at the video from the blog posted earlier, I see a few things that concern me if I were to pay a lot of money for one.

First, many of them don't seem to be close enough to the actual beach. The map shows some green areas with palm trees between the cabanas and the beach. Maybe others like this idea for privacy, but this might make it difficult for me to enjoy the comfort of the cabana while also trying to keep an eye on my kids playing in the water.

Second, the new water slide platform is also in this expanded section of the beach. I would think this is going to be one of the most crowded parts of the beach at all times.

Third, the new water play area is just off this section of the beach, further adding to the crowds in this section of the beach and at the new Cookies 2 buffet.

I'm not sure I want to pay for a cabana that puts me right in the most crowded part of the beach with the most crowded buffet, and I can't even sit and enjoy it because I can't see my kids playing in the water. Hopefully it won't be that bad, and I'm just being pessimistic, but I am definitely sceptical.

1979 .......... Golf Resort
1984 .......... Hotel Royal Plaza
1989 .......... Offsite?
2007 Jun .................................................. .................................................. ................. Newport Bay Club
2008 May-Jun .. Shades of Green ................. Wonder 4-night Bahamas Double-dip
2009 Jul ...... Shades of Green ................. Magic 7-night E. Caribbean Tortola
2010 Jun ........................................ Magic 12-night Northern Europe
2010 Dec ...... Saratoga Springs Resort ......... Magic 11-night S. Caribbean Holiday
2011 Jul ........................................ Wonder 7-night Alaska .................... Villas at Grand Californian
2011 Oct ...... Polynesian - AKV Kidani
2012 Jun ...... Bay Lake Tower .................. Fantasy 7-night W. Caribbean
2013 Mar ...... Beach Club Villas - BLT ......... Dream 4/3-night Bahamas Back-to-Back
2014 Jun ........................................ Magic 12-night Med. Barcelona-Venice

Future Plans:

2015 Jan ...... Saratoga Springs Resort ......... Fantasy 7-night E. Caribbean San Juan
2015 Jun-Jul .................................... Magic 11-night Norwegian Fjords & Iceland
bigAWL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 02:36 PM   #54
MissMousey
Earning My Ears

I am subscribing to this thread so that I can check back after these actually become available. I would consider renting a cabana if the price is reasonable as a member of our family has to limit sun exposure due to medications and other issues. It would be nice to be able to get out of the sun and still be near the beach without having to chase the shade around all day.

Keep us posted as to any updates.

December-2007 WDW/BCV
April 2006-WDW/BCV
March 2005-WDW/SSR
November 2004-DCL 7 Night Western Carribean
MissMousey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 02:51 PM   #55
Dream426
Love Disney!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissMousey View Post
I am subscribing to this thread so that I can check back after these actually become available. I would consider renting a cabana if the price is reasonable as a member of our family has to limit sun exposure due to medications and other issues. It would be nice to be able to get out of the sun and still be near the beach without having to chase the shade around all day.

Keep us posted as to any updates.
I am subscribing as well. I agree with you if the price is right I might consider it because my father can't really sit out in the sun too long. There are 6 of us all together and if the price is good with us splitting it I might consider it. But I can't see paying a lot for it. Not worth the money.

Gianna's First of Many WDW Trips March 2013!! PTR

Gianna and Sophia's First Trip to Disney World September 2014 PTR!!

Dream426 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 04:06 PM   #56
cats mom
Mouseketeer

Has a wild and vivid imagination

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjpoohbear View Post
Have they announced the cost of a cabana rental yet?

Pj

No, although it seems many folks think the first guesstimate offered on this thread might be close. We'll see.

Personally, I won't be at all surprised if DCL's base rate is more than HAL charges on Half Moon Bay, but I will be surpised if it's double. So hopefully $600 is high.

Summer 2009 pricing for a regular cabana on Half Moon Cay through HAL:

$299 for a party of 4
$45 for each additional person

Upgrade fees for butler service:

$270 for 4
$100 for each additional person

So a group of 6 would be looking at $389 for just the cabana, or $859 with the butler upgrade.

FWIW, I know HAL has a maximum number of people per cabana. I thought it was 8, but I could be wrong.

It will definitely be interesting to see what kind of rules, pricing structure, etc. DCL comes up with. Should be soon... yes?
cats mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 05:02 AM   #57
joksten2000
Cruiser For Life

My Two cents Again

If DCL charges 3 to 4X more to cruise than other lines, what makes you think they will be competitive with their cabana's?

I can see the expense if someone can't be in the sun, but folks the beach is free! Of course who would have thought people would pay for water.

I could also imagine tiered pricing for guests on shorter cruises. Then what happens when the people in the cabana's on both sides of you smoke?

I can't believe DCL has no smoking policy on CC. We try to be on the extreme left on the Adult beach to keep away from the smoke.
2005 7 Day DCL Mexican Riviera (DH & DW 08/06)
2006 21 Day DCL (DH&DW 04/15)&(9/30 &10/07) B2B 2006 7 Day HAL Alaska 7/01 (Family(8)DVC points)
2007 14 Day DCL (DH & DW 2/03 & 2/10)B2B & 2007 9 Day Crown Princess 8/19 (Family(9!!))
2008 24 Day RCL Exp of the Seas 2/24,11/09 DH&DW
2008 15 Day DCL EB Repro 8/17 (Family(9)) Panama Canal
2009 12 Day RCCL Exp of the Seas 11/29 DH&DW Winter in Florida (WDW Season Pass)
2010 12 Day RCCL Rhapsody of the Seas 09/17 Hawaii (DH&DW)
2011 9 Day DCL Dream B2B 7/29 & 8/02(Family(9)) Winter in Florida (WDW Season Pass)
2011 10 Day RCCL Exp of the Seas 11/10 (Winter in Florida)(WDW Season Pass)
2012 11 Day RCCL Exp of the Seas 11/04 (Winter in Florida)(WDW Season Pass)
2013 7 Day DCL Fantasy 8/03 (Family(9)) 11 Day Exp of the Seas 11/3/2013
2014 Disney Wonder 14 Days Panama Canal

joksten2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 01:18 PM   #58
cats mom
Mouseketeer

Has a wild and vivid imagination

Quote:
If DCL charges 3 to 4X more to cruise than other lines, what makes you think they will be competitive with their cabana's?
If this is directed at me... I didn't say I thought DCL's cabana prices would be competitive, quite the opposite actually.

I posted HAL's rates since I think they will provide an interesting comparison once DCL does release their pricing structure.
cats mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 06:13 PM   #59
ruadisneyfan2
DIS Veteran

Quote:

I can see the expense if someone can't be in the sun, but folks the beach is free! Of course who would have thought people would pay for water.

I could also imagine tiered pricing for guests on shorter cruises. Then what happens when the people in the cabana's on both sides of you smoke?

I can't believe DCL has no smoking policy on CC. We try to be on the extreme left on the Adult beach to keep away from the smoke.
Fwiw, our DCL 7 nt Western is within $90 of the same cruise on RC's Freedom of the Seas for exact same cabin. Deck 2 oceanview/window.
Old 02-23-2010, 10:45 AM   #60
crafty91
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dejnosluvmickey View Post
We just got back from CC, it looks like they should be done by July. They are over by the Teen beach(which is gone). They have done alot of work since we were there in Sept. The water slide thingee is done and by the stingray adventure area. They moved the stingrays over between the snorkling area and the Black Pearl. Will be starting a thread soon with the pics.
So the slide is done and open? We will be there in a few weeks and that would be exciting news!
Magic March 2010
Wonder March 2011 Mexican Riviera
Fantasy Maiden Voyage March 2012
Fantasy Western July 2012
Fantasy Western March Spring Break 2013
Fantasy March 2014 Western Caribbean
Magic Mediterranean July 2014 (Became Platinum!)

NEXT: Fantasy Eastern March Spring Break 2015
crafty91 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: