Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 02-09-2011, 03:49 PM   #571
kyla
Have Lanyard Will Travel
I just want to see everything! Is that so bad?
Rather a smelly pirate
 
kyla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: End of the Oregon Trail
Posts: 974

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disney's Fan View Post
Anybody else who has tried to rent one recently had this same experience?
Yes, I was on the 1/30 Disney Dream. I tried to book at guest services. they told me they didn't know if cabanas were available but to check back at 5pm. Nothing was mentioned about the concierge staff handling the bookings. I asked guest services to at least put me on a list which they did. I continued to check back late into the evening was no answer. But I did get a note the next day saying we were booked. I went back to guest services to find out more information and couldn't get any. So at that point, I decided not to take the cabana. We were having other problems with guest services, and my hunch told me not to take the booking. I was afraid that the lack of service/mishaps would continue with the cabanas. Fortunately, the 1/30 cruise was around 2000 passengers (compared to the 2/3 cruise at 3800 passengers), so Castaway Cay was emptier than I'm use to. Lots of empty chairs. No crowds. Lots of space for everyone.
__________________
Faith, Hope and Pixie Dust

Jeanne & Jim



Disney Magic Dec 1998 - 7 day land & sea Bahamas, Disney Magic January 2003 - 7 day Caribbean, Disney Magic May 2005 - 14 day inaugural cruise thru the Panama Canal, July 2007 - 11 day inaugural cruise Mediterranean, Disney Dream January 2011 - 4 day Bahamas, Disney Fantasy April 2012 - 7 day Caribbean
kyla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 08:30 PM   #572
Disney's Fan
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Cypress, TX
Posts: 142

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyla View Post
Yes, I was on the 1/30 Disney Dream. I tried to book at guest services. they told me they didn't know if cabanas were available but to check back at 5pm. Nothing was mentioned about the concierge staff handling the bookings. I asked guest services to at least put me on a list which they did. I continued to check back late into the evening was no answer. But I did get a note the next day saying we were booked. I went back to guest services to find out more information and couldn't get any. So at that point, I decided not to take the cabana. We were having other problems with guest services, and my hunch told me not to take the booking. I was afraid that the lack of service/mishaps would continue with the cabanas. Fortunately, the 1/30 cruise was around 2000 passengers (compared to the 2/3 cruise at 3800 passengers), so Castaway Cay was emptier than I'm use to. Lots of empty chairs. No crowds. Lots of space for everyone.
Good to know! I'll be going when the DREAM is full, so I really hope to take advantage of a cabana.
Disney's Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 02-12-2011, 04:58 PM   #573
lauriegs
proud AKV and BCV owner
 
lauriegs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Cary, IL
Posts: 249

interesting thread - Hope people continue to post their cabana experiences here...I'll be sailing in august and am considering booking one!
__________________
Laurie
lauriegs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 01:35 PM   #574
Brandis
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Zurich, Switzerland
Posts: 1,419

Do the cabanas on serenity bay have direct beach access? I saw some pictures and it looked as if the cabanas were located behind the shrubs that line the adult beach.
Brandis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 03:35 PM   #575
kyla
Have Lanyard Will Travel
I just want to see everything! Is that so bad?
Rather a smelly pirate
 
kyla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: End of the Oregon Trail
Posts: 974

The cabanas on Serenity beach is very close to the beach and water but there is this line of shrub right in front that separate the cabanas from the beach. There might even have been some light fencing there as well. I would think there are some paths leading to the water but I didn't notice any. Sorry not much help but there definitely is that line of shrubs.
__________________
Faith, Hope and Pixie Dust

Jeanne & Jim



Disney Magic Dec 1998 - 7 day land & sea Bahamas, Disney Magic January 2003 - 7 day Caribbean, Disney Magic May 2005 - 14 day inaugural cruise thru the Panama Canal, July 2007 - 11 day inaugural cruise Mediterranean, Disney Dream January 2011 - 4 day Bahamas, Disney Fantasy April 2012 - 7 day Caribbean
kyla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 07:20 PM   #576
Bullseyebaby
Where's my trusty steed Bullseye?
 
Bullseyebaby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Sunny So Cal ~Temecula
Posts: 243

Sounds like maybe they changed the way guests can book the cabanas? I'd like to think that maybe our experience (or lack of an experience) got their attention to change the cabana booking process.
Bullseyebaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 03:08 AM   #577
I_am_bob
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 1

It was well worth it!

We were on the Feb. 3 2011 cruise and reserved a cabana during our stay at Castaway Cay. All I can say is it was well worth the $499. I had my elderly parents and my 3 years old with us. The beach area in front of the cabanas were pretty empty; however, the family beach was crowded and it seems people were on top of each other.

I'm a pretty laid back guy so we didn't expect too much from the attendant. Our attendant was a young kid from the states. He made sure we were comfortable and pretty much checked in on us from time to time. Clearing out the used dishes and replenishing the fridge.

Besides the cabanas are only a short walking distance to Cookie Too and the restrooms. If you really need the golf cart to take you then you would need a motorized scooter wherever you go. It was refreshing to take our lunch back to the cabana and enjoy it without the hustle and bustle of the lunch line.

My parents more or less relaxed on the loungers inside the cabana and didn't even leave except for lunch and to stretch their legs. The enjoyed it. We were able to watch the kid play in front of the beach without having to worry about bigger kids knocking her over into the water.

The other plus of having the cabana is that you don't need to bring the beach towels with you off the boat.

So overall, is the $499 worth it. In my honest opinion given my situation, I'm glad we did it. I booked it last minute, actually that very morning and was able to secure one without trouble. Would I do it again, you bet. Had I known there were beach toys for the kid, I wouldn't have lugged all her beach toys. Never mind the fact that you had floats that you could use without having to rent it.

bob
I_am_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 07:15 PM   #578
Bullseyebaby
Where's my trusty steed Bullseye?
 
Bullseyebaby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Sunny So Cal ~Temecula
Posts: 243

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_am_bob View Post
We were on the Feb. 3 2011 cruise and reserved a cabana during our stay at Castaway Cay. All I can say is it was well worth the $499. I had my elderly parents and my 3 years old with us. The beach area in front of the cabanas were pretty empty; however, the family beach was crowded and it seems people were on top of each other.

I'm a pretty laid back guy so we didn't expect too much from the attendant. Our attendant was a young kid from the states. He made sure we were comfortable and pretty much checked in on us from time to time. Clearing out the used dishes and replenishing the fridge.

Besides the cabanas are only a short walking distance to Cookie Too and the restrooms. If you really need the golf cart to take you then you would need a motorized scooter wherever you go. It was refreshing to take our lunch back to the cabana and enjoy it without the hustle and bustle of the lunch line.

My parents more or less relaxed on the loungers inside the cabana and didn't even leave except for lunch and to stretch their legs. The enjoyed it. We were able to watch the kid play in front of the beach without having to worry about bigger kids knocking her over into the water.

The other plus of having the cabana is that you don't need to bring the beach towels with you off the boat.

So overall, is the $499 worth it. In my honest opinion given my situation, I'm glad we did it. I booked it last minute, actually that very morning and was able to secure one without trouble. Would I do it again, you bet. Had I known there were beach toys for the kid, I wouldn't have lugged all her beach toys. Never mind the fact that you had floats that you could use without having to rent it.

bob
How did you book it? Were you on Concierge level? Glad it worked out for you.
Bullseyebaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 08:34 PM   #579
tsouth
Mousehouse Lover
 
tsouth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Milton, Ontario Canada
Posts: 131

Pail and shovels?

Can anyone confirm if the cabanas provide sand toys for the kids?

Thanks .
tsouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 08:36 PM   #580
jnsma
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 330

DVC Gold Member
Paid DVC Rent/Trade
Gold Membership

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsouth View Post
Can anyone confirm if the cabanas provide sand toys for the kids?
.
Yes they do. There are a few buckets and shovels.
jnsma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 02:12 PM   #581
epcotrulz
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 363

Our group of eight (7 adults, 1 child), just booked Cabana #8. Anyone ever been in this one -- thoughts?


TIA!!
epcotrulz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 03:57 PM   #582
Wendy&Grumpy
Is there any better place to live than Mickey's backyard?
 
Wendy&Grumpy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Gotha, Florida
Posts: 1,387

Quote:
Originally Posted by epcotrulz View Post
Our group of eight (7 adults, 1 child), just booked Cabana #8. Anyone ever been in this one -- thoughts?


TIA!!
You booked prior to cruising? Are you concierge?
__________________
Etsy/Ebay: PixieDustedStitches

One should always have a getaway to look forward to - even if it's just one night!!

Fort Wilderness December 2012 ~ Disney Dream October 2012 ~ Animal Kingdom Lodge August/September 2012 ~ Contemporary July 2012 ~ Coronado Springs May 2012 ~ Disney Fantasy April 2012 ~ Disney Dream January 2012 ~ Port Orleans French Quarter December 2011 ~ Boardwalk Inn November 2011 ~ Disney Dream October 2011 ~ Wilderness Lodge August/September 2011 ~ Caribbean Beach April 2011 ~ Beach Club March 2011 ~ Disney Dream February 2011 ~ Pop Century December 2010 ~ All Star Music July/August 2008 ~ Villas at the Disney Institute December 1997
Wendy&Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 08:14 PM   #583
amylia403
Disney Mommy
 
amylia403's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Florida
Posts: 370

Booking Private Castaway Cay Cabanas

As more of the DISboard members cruise, we would love to clarify more the booking process for the private cabanas on CC for non-concierge cruisers At first it was all handled through the concierge staff, then it was opened as a wait list at guest services. Most recently the waitlist sign up has been available at both the shore excursion desk as well as the guest services desk. DCL has said they are finding the smoothest procedure. As more of you all cruise, please post where you were able to book your cabana

Thanks!!
__________________
Amy (Me) Patrick (DH) Jacob (DS) Ana (DD)Tyler (DS)


amylia403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 10:46 PM   #584
mmouse37
Mickey for Me!
Likes surprises
 
mmouse37's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Too far from the Magic!!
Posts: 27,414

Quote:
Originally Posted by amylia403 View Post
As more of the DISboard members cruise, we would love to clarify more the booking process for the private cabanas on CC for non-concierge cruisers At first it was all handled through the concierge staff, then it was opened as a wait list at guest services. Most recently the waitlist sign up has been available at both the shore excursion desk as well as the guest services desk. DCL has said they are finding the smoothest procedure. As more of you all cruise, please post where you were able to book your cabana

Thanks!!
I am merging this with the other thread on the CC cabanas as some others have been posting their experiences as they come back.

MJ
__________________
31 DCL Cruises and Counting!
Disney Magic - 19 times - Official Maiden Voyage July 30, 1998, Re-imagined Magic October 27, 2013
Disney Wonder - 5 times
Disney Dream - 5 times - Official Maiden Voyage January 26, 2011
Disney Fantasy - 2 times

mmouse37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 08:00 PM   #585
miztressuz
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Suburbs of Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 412

Handicapped cabana only booked by that stateroom?

Hi, first time posting to a forum. I have been diligently reading all 39 pages of posts and thanks for the load of information. My extended family are going to cruise on the Dream in October (if everyone can finally pick a date!) and I was excited about the cabanas in the cruise planning DVD - however, very disappointed to learn here that they only made 1 handicap accessible, seems like an odd ratio, 1 in 20. My MIL uses a wheelchair and oxygen and with the extended family being a Polish/Irish mix needless to say they need some shade! We are not booking the concierge level so I guess at the moment we are stuck racing to the Guest Services/Shore Excursion/whatever-new-place-they-come-up-with-between-now-and-October desk when we board. Since I'd rather not see my FIL wheelchair racing with my MIL to the desk, I am the most likely candidate for the job - so the question is, in your expert opinions, would there be any trouble for me to book the handicap cabana if I reference their stateroom?

Also, seems a bummer that the cabins get rented out in number order; since we are a large group I would rent 2 and wanted them to be next to each other. I find it hard to imagine I would be able to get #2 on embarkation day.

Also in your expert opinions for those who were at the cabana's, how high were the stairs? The pictures may be deceptive but it looked like we might be able to "bump" her up the stairs since she's just in a manual chair. It only looked like there were maybe 2 from the beach side which seems manageable. But I'm sure I'm over looking something

TIA and I can't wait to hit the Bahamas!
miztressuz is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
PJ & TR: Claire & Mike - WP/KWR/SCP - 30 Dec 09 - **Inside Disney Weddings Podcast** Chilly Planning our Happily Ever After 1013 03-11-2011 04:44 AM
Castway Cay Scuba Diving Grumpy Fireman Disney Cruise Line Forum 6 11-22-2009 09:06 PM
Pinkerbell's TR-5/18/09-WP-Whitehall Room-Sago Cay Point *More Wedding Pictures* Pinkerbell1983 Planning our Happily Ever After 270 11-21-2009 01:16 PM
castaway cay thoughts flagfred Disney Cruise Line Forum 1 11-19-2009 12:13 PM
Looking for a Castaway Website BWV Dreamin Disney Cruise Line Forum 1 11-18-2009 08:05 PM

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:20 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.

You Rated this Thread: