Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-31-2011, 11:38 AM   #526
princssdisnygina
Disney Princess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandis View Post
I have a question about the cabanas on Serenity Bay. Sorry, if this has been answered before. I read through pretty much all posts, but maybe I missed this.

We were on CC 3 years ago (so pre-Cabanas) and were pretty early on Serenity Bay, so we were pretty close to the beach access / bar / showers, maybe 3 umbrellas down the beach. Behind us were the massage cabanas.

Are they still there, so would the rental cabanas be further down the beach? Looking at the photos, it seems, there is no direct beach access from the adult cabanas, so do you have to walk all the way to the beach bar and then onto the beach there?

Is there a map that shows the location of the Serenity Bay Cabanas?
All of those things are still there. The cabanas are further down the way. It would be a little bit of a walk to get to those areas... however, that is what you have a concierge for! He will come and pick you up and drive you there! The cabanas are just past the massage cabanas if you know where those are.

There is definitely direct beach access from the cabanas. If you scroll up and check on my pictures there is a walkway between each cabana. That is where the sign "Cabana guests only" is placed.
princssdisnygina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 12:11 PM   #527
FJS961
DIS Veteran

Disappointing about the cabana experiences ... agree splitting it with another family or couples would make it seem more reasonable. I think they should be providing excellent service 'concierge' style to justify the cost IMO
FJS961 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-31-2011, 02:26 PM   #528
PrLissette
Mouseketeer

what happens

What happen if someone aka the kids lol loses their bracelet?? because I know the 2 little boys that are going with me will not keep it on and what do they look like??
PrLissette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 02:31 PM   #529
Tonka's Skipper
DIS Veteran

Geee....at last some folks who think the price is really off the wall!

now look, I fully understand that to some folks it was worth the cost and thats is great......more power to you!

I have been reading this thread for awhile and was beginiing to think I was the only one who didn't agree!!

What ever choice you make, enjoy CC with or without the Cabanas!

AKK
Tonka's Skipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 02:36 PM   #530
PrLissette
Mouseketeer

please help!!

What happen if someone aka the kids lol loses their bracelet?? because I know the 2 little boys that are going with me will not keep it on and what do they look like??
Old 01-31-2011, 02:51 PM   #531
disneyholic family
Wayne always catches me
i cannot wear anything between my toes

Quote:
Originally Posted by threewilmingtonwalls View Post
I subscribed to this thread and kept an eye on it for awhile before our cruise (we just came off a 7 night Western Caribbean). After much debating, we decided to go in with another family and split the cost of a cabana on the family beach. As there were seven of us, our total cost was $550, and let me tell you, it was not at all worth it.

We arrived at the cabana check-in site, only to be greeted by two apathetic (or one step above unfriendly) cast members, one of whom asked, "Do you need a ride to the cabana, or can you walk?" Sensing that giving us a lift was too much trouble, I replied that we could walk and asked the way. He pointed in the general direction of a map and said, "Go over there and take a right." Um...ok.

We got to the cabana and met up with our friends, then perused the drink menu. Then we wondered how one goes about getting a drink. Well, someone will probably come to greet us and show us around, we'll just ask them... Any minute now... ... Nope, we had to go hunt down our cabana attendant ourselves. I walked down to the attendant's "hut" and - hand on heart - when the girl saw me coming she turned and went into the building. I literally had to chase her down. She was friendly enough, but not too interested in the fact that I had to come to her, rather than the other way around. She walks back to the cabana with me and points out some of the features. Including the place where our call button should be, but isn't. Curious. I ask, "Well, can't we just give you our drink order now?" She says ok, takes the order, then leaves. (On her way out, my friend asks if we can just order our lunch, and he is told no.)

FORTY FIVE MINUTES GO BY. Someone goes to hunt down the attendant and actually finds the cabana manager, who calls in the drink order. When the server arrives with our long-awaited drinks, she apologizes and tells us that, apparently, the attendant went on her break without actually putting in our order. I ask her to please send the manager to us. At this point, our friends have to leave for their jet-ski excursion. One of them asks an attendant if they can be given a ride to the excursion point, which is all the way across the island, and he is told no. They must get on the trolley like everyone else. Despite the row of golf carts lined up next to the cabana check-in booth.

Meanwhile, the manager arrives at our cabana, with a call button in hand. She says she's not sure what happened to the original, but this one works to page her directly when we press the button. By this point, it is after one o'clock. We have been in the cabana for two hours. Not wanting to engender any ill will in the woman who is now in control of the delivery of my future cocktails, I attempt to address our concerns in a friendly tone. I say that perhaps we need to clarify what, exactly, my party can expect for our $550. I voice my concern that, so far, the answer to our every request (none of which seems beyond the scope of what we were promised, or what we expected after reading previous reviews) has been an unwavering NO. (Oh, I forgot to mention that they discontinued the pitchers of punch, because "not enough people were ordering them." Wait, I thought they were included upon arrival. ?? Not that I wanted punch, necessarily, but it's just another "no" to add to the list.) Needless to say, my address was not well-received. I am told that the manager "already apologized" to my friend for the delay in our drink delivery and that he accepted her apology. And that it was she (the manager) who refused transport to the excursion point, although no explanation was given as to why. I realized that this woman really didn't have much interest in my concerns, so I thanked her for stopping by and I went to meet my family down the beach. I saw her again once, when my friends returned from their excursion and pressed the button to request more chips, which were promptly delivered. As we were leaving Castaway Cay for the day, we were boarding the tram when we noticed a cast member standing near the golf carts. We called to him that we were cabana guests, and asked if he'd take us back to the ship. When he said sure, we couldn't help but laugh at the irony of the situation.

Later that afternoon, the delightful girl from Guest Services who arranged the cabana rental for us called to ask how our day was and if we enjoyed our cabana. I had no choice but to relay the events of the day, and I told her that she should call my friends to ask them about their experience. Her response was, "What happened to you today is completely unacceptable." She told me that she'd call our friends for their feedback, then speak with a manager and get back to us. She called back later to offer DCL's apology and a refund of our cocktail charge for the day ($25-ish), and $75 to split between the two families. I thought it was better than nothing, but my friend said it was a bigger insult than if they had just done nothing.

So, here is my humble opinion, for what it is worth:

I wouldn't waste $500 on a cabana rental again. We will definitely take another Disney cruise, but next time we'll take our daughter to the kids' play area and just go to Serenity Bay for a little while. The cabanas are spacious and nice, but absolutely not worth the money, especially considering the lack of service. I know there haven't been many negative reviews, and some (for whatever reason) will take my post personally and feel the need to defend DCL, but I really would hate for anyone else to be as disappointed as we were. I'm hoping my friend dizzi (our cabana mate) will chime in, so everyone will know I'm not alone in my opinion. For $500, I don't think it's asking too much of DCL when I expect:

1) To be taken directly to my cabana by the host who checks me in, be it on foot or in a cart.

2) To be driven by golf cart back to any location I'd like to go, seeing as there are several available to drive cast members all over.

3) To not have to wait 45 minutes, for anything.

4) To have my lunch delivered directly to the cabana, if I request it.

5) To have reasonable concerns addressed and corrected by a member of the management staff.

The Good
You're definitely separated from the rest of your fellow cruisers. Oh, except for when they're wandering down the path, peering into the cabanas just to "check them out" because there is no one at the gate, checking wristbands. (That's right, anyone can walk right in.)

You'll get some "free" sunscreen and bottled water. (I refuse to count the canned soft drinks as a perk, because when you go to get your lunch, you have to pass right by the soda station, which is also "free.") You also get "free" chips and fruit. (But again, you can get chips and fruit at the lunch line.)

In my experience, the cabana area was not at all noisy. It's not too far from Pelican Plunge, but it's not directly in front of it. In fact, I never even heard any noise from there at all.
thank you for taking the time to share your experience (and as a result, saving me $500 )
Old 01-31-2011, 04:56 PM   #532
FJS961
DIS Veteran

These reports are disconcerting but I will still try it once. I usually like to try things once for myself and it is then a "first and last time we do that!" or the habitual side kicks in and we do it every time LOL
FJS961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 05:25 PM   #533
threewilmingtonwalls
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrLissette View Post
Unless you attach the bracelet too loosely, there is no way to get it off other than cutting it. It is plastic, the same type of bracelet they use for the kids club. It wraps around, then a little button fits into a hole and you snap it closed. But then again, as I mentioned in my post, there's no one checking bracelets. You probably won't have any problems, even if the boys manage to get their bracelets off.
Old 01-31-2011, 05:50 PM   #534
Homemom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by FJS961 View Post
These reports are disconcerting but I will still try it once. I usually like to try things once for myself and it is then a "first and last time we do that!" or the habitual side kicks in and we do it every time LOL
I agree. I'm truely sorry for the bad experience, but I can only hope with the other good reviews out there that this will not be a regular thing. I look forward to trying one myself if there is one available on my cruise, with a double dip hopefully i'll get my chance.

WDW: Sept 04, Dec 05, Jan 09, Nov 11, Sept 12, Feb 14
DL: Feb 05, April 06, Feb 07, Oct 07, Sept 10, Jan 12, Jan 13
DCL: Jan 10, Oct 13
Homemom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 06:17 PM   #535
MomsOf2boys
Has obsessive finger chatter disorder

We have someone who is not really a beach person. So if we don't choose to do the cabannas thing and they stay on the ship, is there anything open? I have not been on the ship while in Castaway Cay to answer this. Can they order lunch or go to one of the main restaurants or buffet for lunch? Does anyone know?
Grew up at Disneyland...Raised my kids at Disney World...Had a little Wonder in Oct 04, Had a Magical week with a great group of DISers in Oct 07! We enjoyed dreaming aboard the DREAM in '12! Why Not Have Halloween Weekend 2014 on the Dream?!!
MomsOf2boys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 06:59 PM   #536
ibouncetoo
I get excited by the little things!
I follow directions well!!!
I'm not allowed to buy any more craft supplies till I actually MAKE something LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by MomsOf2boys View Post
We have someone who is not really a beach person. So if we don't choose to do the cabannas thing and they stay on the ship, is there anything open? I have not been on the ship while in Castaway Cay to answer this. Can they order lunch or go to one of the main restaurants or buffet for lunch? Does anyone know?
Yes, they serve lunch on the ship, I found some of my family in Lumiere's after I had lunch at Cookies...so I had dessert with them.

Jackie '99-01AllStar Movies 02-03Many trips DLR '03 Nov AKL/Swan 04 April POFQ Oct offsite/Dolphin 05 Jan POP/WL,3DLR Nov POFQ/Wonder/POP 06 2DLR, Nov Magic DD 07 May DLR Dec SSR/Wonder 08 April DLR May Magic-WBPC Sept DLR 09 Sept WDW/Magic-Tortola Nov DLR 10 Jan Magic-Western, April EBTA 11 Jan 2Day Wonder April LA Repo/Alaska Nov Dream B2B 12 Wonder-Hawaii Dec Fantasy-SanJuan 13 2x DLR, Nov Dream 4 day

ibouncetoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 10:40 PM   #537
jilljill
Collects Disney men!
I had to go and write a novel didn't I?!
Come on over and join our thread

Location: 13-14½ hours drive from WDW - depending on who is driving (lol) OR 5 minutes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MomsOf2boys View Post
You can check the links to the Navigator's in the FAQ sticky to see what is open and offered onboard while the ship is docked at CC.
Old 01-31-2011, 10:54 PM   #538
justmestace

Thinks California needs Disney cruise ships!
Has snorkeled all over the Bahamas and the Caribbean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonka's Skipper View Post
Geee....at last some folks who think the price is really off the wall!

now look, I fully understand that to some folks it was worth the cost and thats is great......more power to you!

I have been reading this thread for awhile and was beginiing to think I was the only one who didn't agree!!

What ever choice you make, enjoy CC with or without the Cabanas!

AKK

Nope, I said this a long ways back and got totally smacked down for it. In fact, I think I was asked why I was even on this thread, if I couldn't afford to book a cabana. Even though, in 15 cruises, I've been in concierge or Owner's Suites all but 2 times. Money's not the issue for me.
But everyone is allowed to spend their money how they see fit.....some would not agree, I'm sure, with the way I spend mine...so to each his own.
justmestace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 01:17 PM   #539
MomsOf2boys
Has obsessive finger chatter disorder

Thank you everyone. I'm glad to see there are some things open while on Castaway Cay!
Grew up at Disneyland...Raised my kids at Disney World...Had a little Wonder in Oct 04, Had a Magical week with a great group of DISers in Oct 07! We enjoyed dreaming aboard the DREAM in '12! Why Not Have Halloween Weekend 2014 on the Dream?!!
MomsOf2boys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 10:45 AM   #540
PrLissette
Mouseketeer

Thank you!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by threewilmingtonwalls View Post
Unless you attach the bracelet too loosely, there is no way to get it off other than cutting it. It is plastic, the same type of bracelet they use for the kids club. It wraps around, then a little button fits into a hole and you snap it closed. But then again, as I mentioned in my post, there's no one checking bracelets. You probably won't have any problems, even if the boys manage to get their bracelets off.
Thank you for the info!!

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: