Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-30-2011, 05:07 PM   #511
RedSox68
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by princssdisnygina View Post
There are 8 cabanas on the adult beach and it is my understanding that the family beach ones fill sooner than the ones on the adult beach.
We had one on the adult beach and loved it. You don't get the private beach area like you do on the family beach but if you have ever been to Castaway Cay before you know Serenity Bay is never really crowded anyway. We loved it and will definitely try to get one again this coming September!
I just called to ask what's included and she said there are four on the adult beach? But then again, she sounded unsure of things since they are so new. She said there is nothing stated about alcohol or rum punch being included though. And no showers. I'm assuming there is no bathroom either???

They're $100 cheaper on the adult each because they don't include the snorkel equipment or beach toys, but you do get a float/tube for each person and a bike rental. What do you mean you don't get the private beach area? Thanks.

Nov. 2000 -- Disney Wonder -- 4-night Bahama; Nov. 2002 -- Disney Magic 7-night Caribbean; Aug. 2004 -- Disney Magic 7-night Caribbean;
Aug. 2005 -- Disney Magic 14-night Panama Canal; Aug. 2006 -- Disney Wonder 10 night Southern Caribbean; Aug. 2007 -- Disney Magic 10-night Mediterranean
Aug. 2007 -- Disney Magic 14-night Transatlantic; Aug. 2008 -- NCL Pride of America -- 7-night Hawaiian & Vow Renewal; Oct. 2009 -- Disney Magic -- 7-night Caribbean
July 2010 -- RV "Land Cruise" -- 30-days covering the West; May 2011 -- Disney Dream -- 4-night Bahama
June 2011 -- RV "Land Cruise" -- 30-days finishing the West and South!
May 2012 -- HAL Zaandam -- 7-night Alaska cruise/12 night cruisetour (thus completing our 50th state!)
August 2013 -- Carnival Glory -- 4-night NYC to St John, NB
Sept 2013 -- HAL Eurodam -- 10-night Colors of Canada/NE Cruise from Quebec to NYC
Dec. 2014 -- Disney Fantasy 7-night Eastern with San Juan port (our platinum cruise & 4th Disney ship!)
August 2015 -- Royal Princess -- 12-night British Isles Cruise R/T from Southampton

January 2016 -- Wonder 7-night Southern Caribbean out of San Juan; February 2016 -- Wonder 5-night Repo from San Juan to Miami
RedSox68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 05:37 PM   #512
threewilmingtonwalls
DIS Veteran

Our Cabana Service was HORRIBLE

I subscribed to this thread and kept an eye on it for awhile before our cruise (we just came off a 7 night Western Caribbean). After much debating, we decided to go in with another family and split the cost of a cabana on the family beach. As there were seven of us, our total cost was $550, and let me tell you, it was not at all worth it.

We arrived at the cabana check-in site, only to be greeted by two apathetic (or one step above unfriendly) cast members, one of whom asked, "Do you need a ride to the cabana, or can you walk?" Sensing that giving us a lift was too much trouble, I replied that we could walk and asked the way. He pointed in the general direction of a map and said, "Go over there and take a right." Um...ok.

We got to the cabana and met up with our friends, then perused the drink menu. Then we wondered how one goes about getting a drink. Well, someone will probably come to greet us and show us around, we'll just ask them... Any minute now... ... Nope, we had to go hunt down our cabana attendant ourselves. I walked down to the attendant's "hut" and - hand on heart - when the girl saw me coming she turned and went into the building. I literally had to chase her down. She was friendly enough, but not too interested in the fact that I had to come to her, rather than the other way around. She walks back to the cabana with me and points out some of the features. Including the place where our call button should be, but isn't. Curious. I ask, "Well, can't we just give you our drink order now?" She says ok, takes the order, then leaves. (On her way out, my friend asks if we can just order our lunch, and he is told no.)

FORTY FIVE MINUTES GO BY. Someone goes to hunt down the attendant and actually finds the cabana manager, who calls in the drink order. When the server arrives with our long-awaited drinks, she apologizes and tells us that, apparently, the attendant went on her break without actually putting in our order. I ask her to please send the manager to us. At this point, our friends have to leave for their jet-ski excursion. One of them asks an attendant if they can be given a ride to the excursion point, which is all the way across the island, and he is told no. They must get on the trolley like everyone else. Despite the row of golf carts lined up next to the cabana check-in booth.

Meanwhile, the manager arrives at our cabana, with a call button in hand. She says she's not sure what happened to the original, but this one works to page her directly when we press the button. By this point, it is after one o'clock. We have been in the cabana for two hours. Not wanting to engender any ill will in the woman who is now in control of the delivery of my future cocktails, I attempt to address our concerns in a friendly tone. I say that perhaps we need to clarify what, exactly, my party can expect for our $550. I voice my concern that, so far, the answer to our every request (none of which seems beyond the scope of what we were promised, or what we expected after reading previous reviews) has been an unwavering NO. (Oh, I forgot to mention that they discontinued the pitchers of punch, because "not enough people were ordering them." Wait, I thought they were included upon arrival. ?? Not that I wanted punch, necessarily, but it's just another "no" to add to the list.) Needless to say, my address was not well-received. I am told that the manager "already apologized" to my friend for the delay in our drink delivery and that he accepted her apology. And that it was she (the manager) who refused transport to the excursion point, although no explanation was given as to why. I realized that this woman really didn't have much interest in my concerns, so I thanked her for stopping by and I went to meet my family down the beach. I saw her again once, when my friends returned from their excursion and pressed the button to request more chips, which were promptly delivered. As we were leaving Castaway Cay for the day, we were boarding the tram when we noticed a cast member standing near the golf carts. We called to him that we were cabana guests, and asked if he'd take us back to the ship. When he said sure, we couldn't help but laugh at the irony of the situation.

Later that afternoon, the delightful girl from Guest Services who arranged the cabana rental for us called to ask how our day was and if we enjoyed our cabana. I had no choice but to relay the events of the day, and I told her that she should call my friends to ask them about their experience. Her response was, "What happened to you today is completely unacceptable." She told me that she'd call our friends for their feedback, then speak with a manager and get back to us. She called back later to offer DCL's apology and a refund of our cocktail charge for the day ($25-ish), and $75 to split between the two families. I thought it was better than nothing, but my friend said it was a bigger insult than if they had just done nothing.

So, here is my humble opinion, for what it is worth:

I wouldn't waste $500 on a cabana rental again. We will definitely take another Disney cruise, but next time we'll take our daughter to the kids' play area and just go to Serenity Bay for a little while. The cabanas are spacious and nice, but absolutely not worth the money, especially considering the lack of service. I know there haven't been many negative reviews, and some (for whatever reason) will take my post personally and feel the need to defend DCL, but I really would hate for anyone else to be as disappointed as we were. I'm hoping my friend dizzi (our cabana mate) will chime in, so everyone will know I'm not alone in my opinion. For $500, I don't think it's asking too much of DCL when I expect:

1) To be taken directly to my cabana by the host who checks me in, be it on foot or in a cart.

2) To be driven by golf cart back to any location I'd like to go, seeing as there are several available to drive cast members all over.

3) To not have to wait 45 minutes, for anything.

4) To have my lunch delivered directly to the cabana, if I request it.

5) To have reasonable concerns addressed and corrected by a member of the management staff.

The Good
You're definitely separated from the rest of your fellow cruisers. Oh, except for when they're wandering down the path, peering into the cabanas just to "check them out" because there is no one at the gate, checking wristbands. (That's right, anyone can walk right in.)

You'll get some "free" sunscreen and bottled water. (I refuse to count the canned soft drinks as a perk, because when you go to get your lunch, you have to pass right by the soda station, which is also "free.") You also get "free" chips and fruit. (But again, you can get chips and fruit at the lunch line.)

In my experience, the cabana area was not at all noisy. It's not too far from Pelican Plunge, but it's not directly in front of it. In fact, I never even heard any noise from there at all.

Last edited by threewilmingtonwalls; 01-30-2011 at 05:46 PM.
threewilmingtonwalls is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-30-2011, 06:08 PM   #513
ESN
DIS Veteran

I am sorry to hear about the bad experience , but I truly appreciate your honest report. It may save me and others some hard earned money.

It is always helpful to hear multiple points of view and I hope that you get no
ill will from other posts.

Thanks!
ESN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 07:09 PM   #514
FJS961
DIS Veteran

Thanks for that post. Disconcerting. Sounds like they don't have their act together and there should be better SERVICE about the cabanas.
FJS961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 09:15 PM   #515
disneyelaine
Mouseketeer

Thank you for your honest review.

Which cabana were you in? Wondering which one had the missing button because we have Cabana 2 booked end of March.

Also, do you know about how many Cabana's were booked total that cruise. I am curious as to why no one seemed to be around and wondered if maybe not very many were booked. Not that that is any excuse.

What time did you arrive and what time did you leave?

Does anyone have the list from Disney as to what the Cabana is supposed to include?

Thanks
Old 01-30-2011, 09:25 PM   #516
princssdisnygina
Disney Princess

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedSox68 View Post
I just called to ask what's included and she said there are four on the adult beach? But then again, she sounded unsure of things since they are so new. She said there is nothing stated about alcohol or rum punch being included though. And no showers. I'm assuming there is no bathroom either???

They're $100 cheaper on the adult each because they don't include the snorkel equipment or beach toys, but you do get a float/tube for each person and a bike rental. What do you mean you don't get the private beach area? Thanks.
She MAY be right about only 4 but I believe there were more than that. HOWEVER.... there IS a rum type punch included... and there is most definitely showers. There is not a bathroom in any of the cabanas but if you don't want to walk to them your concierge will take you.
We did not have snorkel equipment but didn't really care if there was any. And of course the beach toys are not there because they are intended for children and children are not allowed on Serenity Bay.

I have included pics below. Serenity Bay is considered a private adult area anyway so the beach is not blocked off strictly for cabana users. There is greenery between the cabana and the beach as well as a rope fence. Neither block your view but they make a very clear line that these are private... not to mention the sign, which you will see in the pics below. These are all on Serenity Bay btw...

You can see the rope fence in this one...

This is the sign. And if you look at the cabanas you can see the rain shower on the right side. They all have these.

They all have these as well...

The view from our cabana, which you can see the rope and greenery...

A view of the snack area where you can see in the fridge. There are 2 punches... one with alcohol and one without. Along with soda and water.

I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any other questions!
princssdisnygina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 10:17 PM   #517
threewilmingtonwalls
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneyelaine View Post
Thank you for your honest review.

Which cabana were you in? Wondering which one had the missing button because we have Cabana 2 booked end of March.

Also, do you know about how many Cabana's were booked total that cruise. I am curious as to why no one seemed to be around and wondered if maybe not very many were booked. Not that that is any excuse.

What time did you arrive and what time did you leave?

Does anyone have the list from Disney as to what the Cabana is supposed to include?

Thanks
You're welcome. Sorry to be a Debbie Downer; I hope you'll have a much better experience than we did.

We were in cabana 1, which, incidentally, does not have a hammock because it is a wheelchair-accessible cabana. (This doesn't affect you, but just in case anyone else is reading.) The cabanas were sold out that day. When we boarded the ship, I was told that there were still four available (five, counting the accessible one, which can only be booked through Guest Services, not the excursion desk.) We wanted to wait and see what the weather forecast was for out CC day, as the cabana rental fee is not refundable unless the ship does not dock. I was willing to take a chance. One day before CC, we went to Guest Services and they put us on the wait list for cabana 1, which was all that was left. They will not rent the cabana to someone who does not require an accessible cabana until they are 100% that no one who needs it wants it. So I followed up with Guest Services at 6:30 on the morning of CC and was told that we were in. When I was speaking to the cabana manager about our issues, I even mentioned, "Maybe it's possible your staff wasn't prepared for us, as we were a last minute rental?" To which she replied, "Oh, I know, I was the one who arranged this for you."

We arrived at about 11 (I would have gone sooner, but I ran the CC 5K first, so I had to go back on the ship to get my family) and we left at about 3 or 3:30.

I don't have the list, but here's what we had:

a big basket of towels (super linty, so don't wear anything dark-colored)

a basket of snacks (two granola bars, a Kashi bar, and two bags of potato chips. They will replenish snacks if you ask for more.)

bottled Evian, canned Coke, Diet Coke, Sprite, and Diet Sprite (also replenishable)

a basket of fruit (not replenishable. A bird was pecking at ours when we arrived, so we got a new one. But not without being informed, "We don't provide any more fruit, but since there was a bird on it we'll bring you a new one." Gee, thanks.)

two bottles of sunscreen (SPF 30 spray, SPF 50 lotion)

a basket with sand toys

a freshwater shower

a ceiling fan

piped Caribbean music with a volume control

I can tell you for sure that there was absolutely no punch as of January 28. We asked for it and were told that it had been discontinued. However, I did see the pitchers for it in the attendants' hut, so maybe they'll bring it back.

I hope that helps!
Old 01-30-2011, 10:54 PM   #518
dizzi
DIS Veteran

Yep yep yep.....

i was the other family in the cabana.

I have to say that along with everything alexis has said ( all being spot on)
I was definitley disapoited just for the fact that the DISNEY service we love and expect just wasnt there.

After waiting 45 minutes for a drink i was feeling pretty upset, and embarassed even, I dont like to complain, I appreciate everything i have but we paid ALOT of hard earned money and got little in return compared to what we had expected.

The Cabana is beautiful and becasue the weather was not we had hoped to relax and enjoy the day.

We arrived at about 10:30 to the cabana just after an excursion, but had trouble getting there as we had a long walk. then a long walk back because they refused to take us to our next excursion, we planned alot that day as it was my DS 18th bday....

I thought it was unfortunate that they would not give us a ride to and from so that we could spend more time in the cabana.

I hope others have a better experience than we did.
Old 01-30-2011, 11:15 PM   #519
princssdisnygina
Disney Princess

I am sorry you had a bad experience. Completely opposite of my experience but mine was on Serenity Bay. Were you on the Wonder or the Magic? Or maybe the Dream?
I must say... we were on the Wonder this past November and were VERY disappointed in the service we received on the ship. Our service at the Cabana was amazing but again... we were on Serenity Bay and truth be told.. we were the only family in a cabana on the adult beach.

If I had the experience you had I would definitely not want to get a cabana again.

However, I was told they were not allowed to bring our lunch to us. But... they did bring us drinks and such. On the adult beach they don't take you to excursions via golf cart... we had to take the tram but they took us every where on that side of the island via golf cart. We waited no longer than one minute for our concierge and I think he took 15 minutes to bring us Konk Koolers from the other side of the island. So there is NO REASON they couldn't get your drinks quickly.

I agree... you pay the money for something like that... you should be given the best service available. And if you aren't given what you expect then DCL should make it up to you, not with a measly $25 refund. That is almost an insult. It wasn't the drinks that was the issue.. it was the amount of time it took to get them, hence the service was terrible. They should have done more than that.

Good to hear you will take DCL again though. We are going to be on the Magic in September and will probably get a cabana on the adult beach. Let's hope they get it together before then!
princssdisnygina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 09:26 AM   #520
threewilmingtonwalls
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by princssdisnygina View Post
I am sorry you had a bad experience. Completely opposite of my experience but mine was on Serenity Bay. Were you on the Wonder or the Magic? Or maybe the Dream?
I must say... we were on the Wonder this past November and were VERY disappointed in the service we received on the ship. Our service at the Cabana was amazing but again... we were on Serenity Bay and truth be told.. we were the only family in a cabana on the adult beach.

If I had the experience you had I would definitely not want to get a cabana again.

However, I was told they were not allowed to bring our lunch to us. But... they did bring us drinks and such. On the adult beach they don't take you to excursions via golf cart... we had to take the tram but they took us every where on that side of the island via golf cart. We waited no longer than one minute for our concierge and I think he took 15 minutes to bring us Konk Koolers from the other side of the island. So there is NO REASON they couldn't get your drinks quickly.

I agree... you pay the money for something like that... you should be given the best service available. And if you aren't given what you expect then DCL should make it up to you, not with a measly $25 refund. That is almost an insult. It wasn't the drinks that was the issue.. it was the amount of time it took to get them, hence the service was terrible. They should have done more than that.

Good to hear you will take DCL again though. We are going to be on the Magic in September and will probably get a cabana on the adult beach. Let's hope they get it together before then!
I hope so, too! Your good reviews were part of the reason I was so excited to get a cabana. We were on the Magic, and our service was outstanding! I think that's part of what made our cabana experience so shocking, was the contrast from how we were treated on the ship versus the island. It's good to know they would at least drive you from the Serenity Bay area to the tram stop...that would be a super long walk! I guess in the family area, you get a ride nowhere, not even to the tram station. Oh well, lesson learned.

I'm glad your experience was great, and I hope no one else has a day like we did. If nothing else, I hope this will serve as a catalyst for DCL to step up the level of service in the cabana area!
Old 01-31-2011, 09:44 AM   #521
Brandis
DIS Veteran

I have a question about the cabanas on Serenity Bay. Sorry, if this has been answered before. I read through pretty much all posts, but maybe I missed this.

We were on CC 3 years ago (so pre-Cabanas) and were pretty early on Serenity Bay, so we were pretty close to the beach access / bar / showers, maybe 3 umbrellas down the beach. Behind us were the massage cabanas.

Are they still there, so would the rental cabanas be further down the beach? Looking at the photos, it seems, there is no direct beach access from the adult cabanas, so do you have to walk all the way to the beach bar and then onto the beach there?

Is there a map that shows the location of the Serenity Bay Cabanas?
Brandis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 10:02 AM   #522
TammyAlphabet
DIS Veteran
Life Member - "exclusive tag fairy club"
Enjoys sour grapes

For the price, why doesn't the cabana have a bathroom?
TammyAlphabet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 11:12 AM   #523
nemofans
DIS Veteran

I wouldn't want the cabanas to have their own bathroom. I would worry about the smell!

8/2000 WDW Grosvenor Resort (got engaged!), 11/2005 DL PPH CL, 12/2006 WDW Poly, 02/2008 WDW AKL, 2/2010 WDW CR CL, 2/2011 DCL Magic, 11/2011 DL GCH, 10/2012 WDW AKL CL

2013 Book Challenge: 87 out of 75 GOAL MET!!
2014 Book Challenge: 91 out of 85 GOAL MET!!
nemofans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 12:30 PM   #524
Bullseyebaby
Where's my trusty steed Bullseye?

We just got home from the Disney Dream "maiden voyage". We booked a cabana only to get there to find out they made some type of double booked error (we went directly to port adventures and had our choice of cabanas and chose number 9 for it's location). After being lied to about the situation (they told us there was a problem with the furniture and soda).... we were offered cabana 1. Not my choice as it's too close to everything and there is no hammock. But, first thing I did was walk down to cabana 9 to find another family enjoying it. Are you kidding me??

Still really upset about it, but mostly about the lying staff member. Not the Disney way at all. We packed up our stuff (after about 10 minutes in cabana 1) and went to Guest services about the problem, but only was given the "we won't charge you for the cabana". Duh.... I certainly hope not. In my opinion, the $500 charge isn't worth it.... maybe if you had a huge group, but they charge you per person above 6 people. Free sunscreen & free water/soda and a couple granola bars & chips. Maybe my opinion is tainted now... for whatever it's worth, I'd pass.
Bullseyebaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 12:36 PM   #525
justmestace

Thinks California needs Disney cruise ships!
Has snorkeled all over the Bahamas and the Caribbean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullseyebaby View Post
We just got home from the Disney Dream "maiden voyage". We booked a cabana only to get there to find out they made some type of double booked error (we went directly to port adventures and had our choice of cabanas and chose number 9 for it's location). After being lied to about the situation (they told us there was a problem with the furniture and soda).... we were offered cabana 1. Not my choice as it's too close to everything and there is no hammock. But, first thing I did was walk down to cabana 9 to find another family enjoying it. Are you kidding me??

Still really upset about it, but mostly about the lying staff member. Not the Disney way at all. We packed up our stuff (after about 10 minutes in cabana 1) and went to Guest services about the problem, but only was given the "we won't charge you for the cabana". Duh.... I certainly hope not. In my opinion, the $500 charge isn't worth it.... maybe if you had a huge group, but they charge you per person above 6 people. Free sunscreen & free water/soda and a couple granola bars & chips. Maybe my opinion is tainted now... for whatever it's worth, I'd pass.

I don't blame you, I'd be furious. I've had that happen with some spa reservations....same thing. And they don't seem to care that they aren't quite telling the truth.

The only way I'd do a cabana is if I shared it with two other couples, so that the cost didn't seem quite so outrageous.
justmestace is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: