Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-18-2010, 07:19 AM   #391
LITTLEKID58
Platinum Castaway

Hello

We were on the wonder for the Dec 5th sailing and rented the cabana it was the best thing we ever did... We recommended to everyone.. It was 6 adults and baby 1 year old. yes we had to pay for the baby.. but well worth it.. we had such a great time.. we even hung our pirate flag...lol...
Old 12-18-2010, 07:44 AM   #392
cmash95
a princess at heart

question, can you book the cabanas online or do you still have to wait untill you are onbaord? we aren't going until june but I was just wondering.
september 2006- carnival miracle
may 2008 - disney magic reposition through panama canal
December 2009 - disney magic eastern with stop in st croix.
August 2010 - disney wonder 5 day castaway cay
june 2011- dinsey dream 5 day castaway cay
june 2012- Disney fantasy 7 day eastern
cmash95 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-18-2010, 08:53 AM   #393
outahere

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmash95 View Post
question, can you book the cabanas online or do you still have to wait untill you are onbaord? we aren't going until june but I was just wondering.
Currently, only Concierge guests can book a cabana (through the land based Concierge team, not online) prior to boarding the ship.

Disney Magic - April, 2004 / EB Panama Canal crossing - August, 2005 / Thanksgiving, 2006 / April, 2009 / February, 2011 / March, 2014
Disney Wonder - September, 2002 / April, 2007 / April, 2008 / Thanksgiving, 2009 / April, 2010
Disney Dream - April, 2011 / August, 2012 / February, 2014
Polynesian CL - August, 2004 / April, 2010 / August, 2010 / October, 2013
Yacht Club CL - August, 2011 / April, 2012 / August, 2012 / August, 2013 / April, 2014 / June, 2014
Grand Floridian Sugar Loaf CL - February, 2013
Wilderness Lodge CL - December, 2013
OKW - February, 2012 / June, 2013
VWL - August, 2006
WDW - offsite, more times than I can count since 1978
S/S Norway - 1984, 1985, 1991
Norwegian Pearl - Alaska - August, 2007
outahere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 08:47 PM   #394
trpenn10
Earning My Ears

Just called Concierge this morning and booked Cabana #3 for our sailing on 4/17/2011. Cabana includes 6 guests, and they have just upped the max guest per cabana to 10. All guests after the 6th would be $50 each.
trpenn10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 09:22 PM   #395
keishashadow
Proud Redhead
When you gotta go, you gotta go ... it's a girl thing
Hmmm, I lust
I TOLD YOU SO!

1st I do have a question re where the family cabanas are located (old teen beach area as I understand it?) The sand/beach area was less groomed/ bit rough with sharper descent into the ocean last time we visited...have they 'fixed' it?

$400 for a DCL cabana is par for the course on private islands owned by cruiselines, imo DCL isn't price gouging for them. Haven't decided if we'll try to book one as we've never had an issue finding a perfect spot on the beach in the past as we get off the ship bright & early.

OT - No flames to specific posters in this thread, but i cringe when i read repeated posts disparaging CCL compared to DCL. Certainly I am a disney fan, have taken several DCL cruises and agree that it is overall a superior experience. However, it is quite costly and their ports of call in the caribbean are rather lacking imo. I just have to wonder if those who bad-mouth CCL have ever cruised on one of the ships that visit their own private island - Half Moon Cay, which certainly gives Castaway Cay a run for it's moneycheck out the view we had from our cabana in June.

cabana

balcony (aft, 3 sections & cabin was 50% less in price than comparable DCL sailing for inside cabin...which sure helped to gloss over the less than stellar entertainment and food.)

Last edited by keishashadow; 12-20-2010 at 09:48 PM.
keishashadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 03:46 AM   #396
PizzieDuster
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by keishashadow View Post
1st I do have a question re where the family cabanas are located (old teen beach area as I understand it?) The sand/beach area was less groomed/ bit rough with sharper descent into the ocean last time we visited...have they 'fixed' it?

$400 for a DCL cabana is par for the course on private islands owned by cruiselines, imo DCL isn't price gouging for them. Haven't decided if we'll try to book one as we've never had an issue finding a perfect spot on the beach in the past as we get off the ship bright & early.

OT - No flames to specific posters in this thread, but i cringe when i read repeated posts disparaging CCL compared to DCL. Certainly I am a disney fan, have taken several DCL cruises and agree that it is overall a superior experience. However, it is quite costly and their ports of call in the caribbean are rather lacking imo. I just have to wonder if those who bad-mouth CCL have ever cruised on one of the ships that visit their own private island - Half Moon Cay, which certainly gives Castaway Cay a run for it's moneycheck out the view we had from our cabana in June.

cabana

balcony (aft, 3 sections & cabin was 50% less in price than comparable DCL sailing for inside cabin...which sure helped to gloss over the less than stellar entertainment and food.)

Which ship and where did you sail to? That view looks like heaven! I know you are sailing out of Miami....looks familar
Royal Carribean - Explorer of the Seas 4/16/06
Royal Carribean - Freedom of the Seas 4/8/07
Returning to the Magic - 6/29/08 - West Coast
Liberty of the Seas - 4/09
Disney Wonder Mother/DD12 Cruise to Nowhere 1/21/11
Disney Wonder Mexican Riviera 1/29/12 Mother/DD13 Cruise (taking Grandma and Nephew DN5 along)
Disney Wonder - 1/24/14 5 Night Wonder {gift}
Disney Fantasy - 3/29/14 Western
PizzieDuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 05:38 AM   #397
SharonLowe
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Since it was our first cruise, I can't comment re: location compared to teen beach. But, the sand was nicely groomed and the entry into the ocean was very gently sloped. The cabanas compared to the one from CCL in you photo are IMHO much nicer and were well worth the money to us.

Dream Cruise - August 2012, Poly - June 2012, WWOHP - November 2011, Wonder Cruise - November 2010, Poly - April 2010, July 2009, AKL - October 2008, AKL - November 2007, AKL and CR - June 2007, NH and RPR - October 2006, AKL - May 2006, WL - July 2005, AKL - October 2004, AKL - August 2003. AKL - April 2002, OKW - August 2001
And many more....
SharonLowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 07:06 AM   #398
keishashadow
Proud Redhead
Hmmm, I lust
I TOLD YOU SO!

PizzieDuster - bingo Miami, such a cool city! My 17 y.o. DS said he was only interested in a cruise this summer if we spent another few days in Miami.

Believe it or not, it was on one of their oldest ships: Destiny, 5 day to Grand Turk (snorkleing on The Wall, HMC & Nassau). All CCL ships have the neon/vegas-y flair, works for us though since we love vegas too lol & luckily get our disney fix with other vacations every year.

I haven't see the CC cabanas (yet) for comparision but I will state that we were thrilled to pieces with 'our' purple cabana & thought it very comfy with cushioned chaise lounges, etc. It does appear from the pics posted that the CC cabanas are packed in closer to each otherthan HMC. Maybe somebody who has enjoyed both could elaborate.

This is a wonderful site for information on all that is Disney, yet I suggest any potential guest checkout cruise critic for a more balanced view of other lines if they are considering them or if $ is an issue.

a bad day at sea is better than a good day at work

Old 12-21-2010, 04:32 PM   #399
KrisannB
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by trpenn10 View Post
Just called Concierge this morning and booked Cabana #3 for our sailing on 4/17/2011. Cabana includes 6 guests, and they have just upped the max guest per cabana to 10. All guests after the 6th would be $50 each.
Oh this is great news! We can release one of our cabana's now - we have 9 of us - 3 teenagers (who we do not expect to see at all or very little at the cabana) so we were getting a 2nd cabana just to put them in and the 6 adults were using the main one. Now we can just have one! I am not sure I would do it with any more than 6 adults - for room wise - but the teenagers will not hang around us when there is other fun things to do!

Krisann

1977 & 1987- WDW Magic Kingdom-daytrip * 2003-POR - Kids & DH's 1st trip to WDW * 2005-Beach Club -Grand Gathering * 2007- Pre-cruise at PoPCentury * May 2008 - AllStarMovies - 4 days pre-repo cruise Cruises: 2006 Western* 12/2007 Eastern May 2008 - WBPC Repo 10/2009 Western, 2010 EBTA, 2010 WBTA, Dream Double Dip - Feb/March 2011, 2011 EBTA & 2011 WBTA + 2 writing cruises! upcoming: 2014 EBTA and 2014 WBTA
KrisannB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 07:02 PM   #400
princssdisnygina
Disney Princess

Quote:

Just keep in mind the cabanas on the family beach are $499 and the ones on Serenity Bay are $390. Can't answer your question about the family beach cabanas as i had one on Serenity Bay.

I believe you were talking to me about my comment about Carnival Cruise Lines. Thank you for being kind with your words as I do respect everyone has their own opinions. I have, however, been on Carnival Cruise to their private island. I will not disagree that their island is beautiful. It was hard for me to believe that they owned it because it felt better tended to that the ship! However, it is not the island that keeps from ever taking a CCL cruise, it is the quality (imo) they offer. I do know the cost is significantly less so I would expect not as much as Disney, but I was so disappointed and couldn't wait to get off the ship by the time it was over. I don't mind the "less than stellar" rooms, or even the "not so good" food..., I felt the entertainment was horrible, the cleanliness of the ship was less than acceptable, the crew was ok but not too friendly, it was just not a good overall experience. The best thing about it was their island. This, of course, is just my thoughts and opinions and what I feel about things is different from others. I will never take a Carnival Cruise again but that doesn't mean you shouldn't. I will pay the crazy money to take a Disney Cruise and will pay the crazy money for a cabana.
princssdisnygina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 07:15 AM   #401
keishashadow
Proud Redhead
Hmmm, I lust
I TOLD YOU SO!

Quote:
Originally Posted by princssdisnygina View Post
Just keep in mind the cabanas on the family beach are $499 and the ones on Serenity Bay are $390. Can't answer your question about the family beach cabanas as i had one on Serenity Bay.

I believe you were talking to me about my comment about Carnival Cruise Lines. Thank you for being kind with your words as I do respect everyone has their own opinions. I have, however, been on Carnival Cruise to their private island. I will not disagree that their island is beautiful. It was hard for me to believe that they owned it because it felt better tended to that the ship! However, it is not the island that keeps from ever taking a CCL cruise, it is the quality (imo) they offer. I do know the cost is significantly less so I would expect not as much as Disney, but I was so disappointed and couldn't wait to get off the ship by the time it was over. I don't mind the "less than stellar" rooms, or even the "not so good" food..., I felt the entertainment was horrible, the cleanliness of the ship was less than acceptable, the crew was ok but not too friendly, it was just not a good overall experience. The best thing about it was their island. This, of course, is just my thoughts and opinions and what I feel about things is different from others. I will never take a Carnival Cruise again but that doesn't mean you shouldn't. I will pay the crazy money to take a Disney Cruise and will pay the crazy money for a cabana.
Trust me, I know Disney = crazy money, my friends still think me nutz for buying DVC (we own @ WL & BW) and that im still trying to wrangle how to buy into BLT. IMO we all have an entertainment budget and vacation weeks to fill, how we proceed is our own beezwacks.

I wasn't specifically poking a stick your way, just read so many post that badmouth CCL out of hand without any personal experience or by a trip they took 10 years ago on an old, small ship.

I've stated it before, CCL is value-oriented, but a def trade-off in quality as to entertainment & food; yet IMO it's big improvement over NCL. All just a matter of personal preference.

Thanks for the reminder re the cabana prices, we'd def be looking @ the adult beach area.

One Q, hope somebody can update the specific criteria to booking. Is there a sticky somewhere?

From what I found in search it appears concierge gets to book 1st, then the rest onboard as CCL does? (We were lucky to grab the one I wanted - purple - in June when stopping first thing @ pursers deskhate to repeat that rush next summer) Know HAL does it pre-cruise.

Old 12-22-2010, 07:30 AM   #402
ga9497
DIS Veteran

Quote:

cabana
Love, Love, Love Half Moon Cay - it is so beautiful and definitely on par with Castaway Cay. This is Holland America's private island but since Carnival is the parent company they have a few sailings on the Carnival ships that also stop here
Old 12-22-2010, 07:33 AM   #403
Brandis
DIS Veteran

Once visited Halfmoon Cay on HAL's smallest ship, the Prinsendam. Only 800 people, it really felt we had the island to ourselves. We got the Pink Cabana back then, it was great!
Brandis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 11:09 AM   #404
justmestace

Thinks California needs Disney cruise ships!
Has snorkeled all over the Bahamas and the Caribbean

Quote:

Is this one of the aft wrap-arounds? We have a VS suite (4228) and it's connecting room, booked on the Spirit next month. The one on the Spirit, from the pics I've seen, looks deeper than this. But I agree with you...for the money, it should be a great ride!

Then back on the Dream next year, and the Fantasy in 2012.
justmestace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 11:59 AM   #405
keishashadow
Proud Redhead
Hmmm, I lust
I TOLD YOU SO!

Quote:
Originally Posted by justmestace View Post
Is this one of the aft wrap-arounds? We have a VS suite (4228) and it's connecting room, booked on the Spirit next month. The one on the Spirit, from the pics I've seen, looks deeper than this. But I agree with you...for the money, it should be a great ride!

Then back on the Dream next year, and the Fantasy in 2012.
yes it is, although on the Destiny it's considered non-suite even though the wraps typically cost more than the OB suite categoryand no pre-board perc unless u have it via prior sailings.

we had the uppermost desk (8 as i recall?), the depth gets smaller the higher you go, but the length increases (im told). The section u can't see back behind my chair to the right was easily 12 feet.

we'd have booked it again, but our week is western itinerary this year.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: