Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-28-2010, 06:59 PM   #331
SevenSeasLagoon5
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by princssdisnygina View Post
TIPS: This was something we didn't know about and were very unsure about. Gladstone was at our beckon call all day long and was great but we didn't want to ask him if people tipped. So... we actually gave him $40. Don't know if that was too much or not enough. Thoughts?
We haven't booked a cabana at Castaway Cay, but we have booked a private cabana at the Grand Floridian Resort. We had a "butler", food, fridge, etc., and we tipped 20% like we do in a restaurant. I'd also be curious if this is the "norm" or not??

**DVC Founding Member** Bay Lake Tower Countless visits to WDW Resort since 1974 Disneyland CA Disneyland Paris
SevenSeasLagoon5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 08:05 AM   #332
SharonLowe
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsMunchie View Post
Santa is thinking about giving the family a cabana for our next cruise. We're cruising on the dream 12/11/11, do you think he'll have trouble getting a cabana? He's worried about disappointing the kids if he can't get one.
By the time you can book your excursions, you should be able to book the cabanas on line so make sure you do it on the first day you can. I'm still not sure I would tell them so far in advance. ON our 11/11/10 cruise, all the cabanas got booked but not until the day we were at cc.

Dream Cruise - August 2012, Poly - June 2012, WWOHP - November 2011, Wonder Cruise - November 2010, Poly - April 2010, July 2009, AKL - October 2008, AKL - November 2007, AKL and CR - June 2007, NH and RPR - October 2006, AKL - May 2006, WL - July 2005, AKL - October 2004, AKL - August 2003. AKL - April 2002, OKW - August 2001
And many more....
SharonLowe is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-29-2010, 08:25 AM   #333
MrsMunchie
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharonLowe View Post
By the time you can book your excursions, you should be able to book the cabanas on line so make sure you do it on the first day you can. I'm still not sure I would tell them so far in advance. ON our 11/11/10 cruise, all the cabanas got booked but not until the day we were at cc.
Thanks for the advice! The kids are kind of big now (10 and 12) and probably just humoring me. They said, "if Santa can't get a cabana for us, I'm sure he'll find some other cool thing for us to do". So I guess I will be safe either way.

"Two of the greatest gifts we can give our children are roots and wings." H. Carter
MrsMunchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 07:12 PM   #334
3mmm
Mouseketeer

food delivery to cabana

I'm hoping someone out there who has been in a cabana can answer this question.

My DH despises crowded buffets. We always eat non-peak, or choose the sit down option, or go for the fast food just to avoid a crowded buffet. Will the host deliver food to the cabana or do we still need to go to Cookies? DH thinks that food delivery would make the cabana the ultimate experience. I for one don't mind picking out my own food, but I agree that finding a table for 7 at any buffet can be challenging, not to mention helping all the kids serve themselves and not spill it all on the way to the elusive table.

Either way, it isn't going to ruin my day, but DH is counting on it and he will be disappointed, so better to get that over with now than on Castaway Cay if the answer is no.

Thanks

DS 15, DS 13, DD11, DS9, DS6 as of August 2013
3mmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 07:22 PM   #335
jenvin
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3mmm View Post

My DH despises crowded buffets. We always eat non-peak, or choose the sit down option, or go for the fast food just to avoid a crowded buffet. Will the host deliver food to the cabana or do we still need to go to Cookies? DH thinks that food delivery would make the cabana the ultimate experience. I for one don't mind picking out my own food, but I agree that finding a table for 7 at any buffet can be challenging, not to mention helping all the kids serve themselves and not spill it all on the way to the elusive table.

Either way, it isn't going to ruin my day, but DH is counting on it and he will be disappointed, so better to get that over with now than on Castaway Cay if the answer is no.

Thanks
I called concierge the other day to inquire about the cabanas and the host services, and asked if they would deliver food from Cookies Too. He didn't directly answer yes or no, but he said that Cookies is just a two minute walk, and we could just walk there and bring the food back, so I'm thinking that meant no...

I also asked him about tipping - he said that the host at the cabana would be the same concierge person from the ship (I guess assuming that you're in concierge), so you can tip them as part of the services at the end of the trip.
jenvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 04:58 AM   #336
joksten2000
Cruiser For Life

Did I Predict This

Wonder how long it will be before DCL builds 100's of cabana's. DCL must have a frenchman on board, who ever thought people would pay for something that was free(water). I guess pretty soon DCL will charge admission to get on the island, maybe a 20 foot section of beach that's free so nobody can complain. What got me was the people that wanted the buffet brought to them because they didn't like to stand in line. What is the world coming to. I retied young and saved a goodly amount of money so I'm not expressing sour grapes. My money can go for better things,like taking my extended family on a vacaton most years.
2005 7 Day DCL Mexican Riviera (DH & DW 08/06)
2006 21 Day DCL (DH&DW 04/15)&(9/30 &10/07) B2B 2006 7 Day HAL Alaska 7/01 (Family(8)DVC points)
2007 14 Day DCL (DH & DW 2/03 & 2/10)B2B & 2007 9 Day Crown Princess 8/19 (Family(9!!))
2008 24 Day RCL Exp of the Seas 2/24,11/09 DH&DW
2008 15 Day DCL EB Repro 8/17 (Family(9)) Panama Canal
2009 12 Day RCCL Exp of the Seas 11/29 DH&DW Winter in Florida (WDW Season Pass)
2010 12 Day RCCL Rhapsody of the Seas 09/17 Hawaii (DH&DW)
2011 9 Day DCL Dream B2B 7/29 & 8/02(Family(9)) Winter in Florida (WDW Season Pass)
2011 10 Day RCCL Exp of the Seas 11/10 (Winter in Florida)(WDW Season Pass)
2012 11 Day RCCL Exp of the Seas 11/04 (Winter in Florida)(WDW Season Pass)
2013 7 Day DCL Fantasy 8/03 (Family(9)) 11 Day Exp of the Seas 11/3/2013

joksten2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 06:02 AM   #337
SharonLowe
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3mmm View Post

Thanks
No, they don't deliver food but you are welcome to take the food back to your cabana. Get one close to Cookies 2 (we were in 4 and it was a very short walk) and you'll be fine. There will also be fruit, some chips and granola bars in the cabana when you get there. The frig will be stocked with drinks including alcoholic and non-alcoholic fruit punch. There are also add-on packages you can purchase onboard for things like beer and alcoholic beverages but I can't find my list of those. The lines moved quickly and I didn't feel crowded but that doesn't mean your DH will feel the same way. Be an extra nice DW and offer to get his food for him

Dream Cruise - August 2012, Poly - June 2012, WWOHP - November 2011, Wonder Cruise - November 2010, Poly - April 2010, July 2009, AKL - October 2008, AKL - November 2007, AKL and CR - June 2007, NH and RPR - October 2006, AKL - May 2006, WL - July 2005, AKL - October 2004, AKL - August 2003. AKL - April 2002, OKW - August 2001
And many more....
SharonLowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 09:11 AM   #338
ppiew
DIS Veteran

anyone know about the location of cabana #7? I think that is what we have. Is it a long ways from Cookies Too or the restrooms? How about proximity to the beach?
ppiew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 09:22 AM   #339
kbmo4444
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppiew View Post
anyone know about the location of cabana #7? I think that is what we have. Is it a long ways from Cookies Too or the restrooms? How about proximity to the beach?
We had Cabana #2(1st visit) and Cabana #8(2nd visit)on our Double Dip cruise 11/13/10. Both were an easy/close walk to the restrooms and Cookies 2 (we brought our food back both times and ate in the Cabana). The beach is right outside of your Cabana down a short path. #7 is a great location and the one we chose for our upcoming B2B cruise on the Disney Dream in Feb 2011. Enjoy
4/2006 3 night Wonder – 4/2007 4 night Wonder – 2/2008 7 night Magic Western – 11/2008 4 night Wonder – 4/2009 4 night Wonder – 12/2009 3 night Wonder – 2/2010 7 night Western – 4/2010 Wonder B2B – 11/2010 7 night Magic Western Double Dip – 2/2011 Dream B2B - 2/2012 7 night Magic Eastern- 2/2013 5 night Wonder
kbmo4444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 09:33 AM   #340
kbmo4444
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenvin View Post
I also asked him about tipping - he said that the host at the cabana would be the same concierge person from the ship (I guess assuming that you're in concierge), so you can tip them as part of the services at the end of the trip.
Not always the case on our Double Dip Cruise 11/13/10 we did have Danny our Concierge host from the ship as our Cabana host on our first visit to CC but on the 2nd visit I asked Danny if he would be there and he said probably not because they were in the process of training other cast members (specifically for the Cabana's). So I would probably have some cash handy to tip just incase your concierge host is not your Cabana host
4/2006 3 night Wonder – 4/2007 4 night Wonder – 2/2008 7 night Magic Western – 11/2008 4 night Wonder – 4/2009 4 night Wonder – 12/2009 3 night Wonder – 2/2010 7 night Western – 4/2010 Wonder B2B – 11/2010 7 night Magic Western Double Dip – 2/2011 Dream B2B - 2/2012 7 night Magic Eastern- 2/2013 5 night Wonder
kbmo4444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 03:29 PM   #341
Davids-Coco
Sometimes my inner monologue isn't so inner

We were in 7. LOVED IT! It wasn't far to go to the bathroom or to cookies too. And it is far enough to be mid beach-ish for the first set of cabanas. It has a great view of the ship too!
Old 12-03-2010, 04:12 PM   #342
princssdisnygina
Disney Princess

Quote:
Originally Posted by joksten2000 View Post
Wonder how long it will be before DCL builds 100's of cabana's. DCL must have a frenchman on board, who ever thought people would pay for something that was free(water). I guess pretty soon DCL will charge admission to get on the island, maybe a 20 foot section of beach that's free so nobody can complain. What got me was the people that wanted the buffet brought to them because they didn't like to stand in line. What is the world coming to. I retied young and saved a goodly amount of money so I'm not expressing sour grapes. My money can go for better things,like taking my extended family on a vacaton most years.
REALLY? You don't pay for something that is already free. You pay for the privacy and for the service of a concierge. If you feel like it is something you already get then good thing you don't have to get a cabana should you not want to. However, I LIKE having a private area where the rest of the passengers are not around. I LIKE having everything available to me at my beckon call. I LIKE to be spoiled while on vacation. And I don't believe, if you read again... that people wanted the food brought to them because they didn't want to stand in line, they wanted it brought to them to assure a place to sit for 7 people. (However, the max number in the cabanas is 6). This is just an added luxury Disney has offered and there is no false advertising here. Maybe you should look at the pictures I posted and let me know if you find that somewhere on Castaway Cay? Or where I can get FREE alcohol? Or where I can get FREE canned sodas? Yes, I can get free drinks at the BBQ but that is the only time. Maybe you can show me where I can get FREE tanning lotion, or have an area with loungers, a private shower and FREE rafts and tubes? And personally... spending $390-$500 on a cabana isn't going to prevent me from taking a vacation in the future, I take extra cash to spend for reasons just like this. Good thing you retired young and you have all that money! I, on the other hand, am not retired and still get to vacation once or twice a year. You enjoy the beach with all the kids and I will enjoy the privacy of my cabana and my beach area. Can't take the money with me, so I am going to enjoy it while I have it. No complaints here. If you don't like it, ignore it. Don't be ridiculous.Thanks!
princssdisnygina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 04:14 PM   #343
princssdisnygina
Disney Princess

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenvin View Post
I can say since I did not stay Concierge that our guy was new to us. AND... he was not on concierge level, he was in charge of the pools on the ship. Of course we were on Serenity Bay but still... he was not one of the guys working Concierge so we did tip him cash.
princssdisnygina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 04:21 PM   #344
inkkognito
I shall call him Mini-Me
I fart cigarette-scented farts!

Has anyone had problems with smokers in adjoining cabanas? I know it's not prohibited on the beach so I'm guessing it's not in the cabanas either. We rented a cabana at a water park once and had chain smokers on one side who made things rather miserable for us because the smell drifted over to us all day. I'm sorely tempted to do an adult beach cabana on one of our cruises this year but don't want to waste a bunch of $$ to be captive to smoke (with my luck, I'd have a cigar smoker next door).
inkkognito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 04:42 PM   #345
jenvin
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by inkkognito View Post
Has anyone had problems with smokers in adjoining cabanas? I know it's not prohibited on the beach so I'm guessing it's not in the cabanas either. We rented a cabana at a water park once and had chain smokers on one side who made things rather miserable for us because the smell drifted over to us all day. I'm sorely tempted to do an adult beach cabana on one of our cruises this year but don't want to waste a bunch of $$ to be captive to smoke (with my luck, I'd have a cigar smoker next door).
Ooh - good point, I'm curious about this too - we're pretty sensitive to cigarette smell now that we're used to it being prohibited here in buildings, restaurants, and even public parks and beaches.

Re: tipping - thanks to the posters that clarified, I'll bring tip money for sure - I'll post back after our cruise, too.

We're going to be in #4, I hope that's a good spot!
jenvin is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: