Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 08-20-2012, 11:00 AM   #1711
DreamGirl90
Mouseketeer
 
DreamGirl90's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 179

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneyholic family View Post
The cabanas are set back and roped off
And there is vegetation between the cabanas and the beach so you see water more than lounge chairs
But not to worry
Unless you're booking at 120 days you won't be able to book a cabana at serenity bay anyway
We always book at 120 days. My DH is Platinum but when we cruise together we always get a suite, so being Concierge I do the online bookings. We've done the nature walk and kayaking, jet skis, parasailing and snorkel excursion, so it never made sense for us to get a cabana but we thought we might try it to know what it's like.

We wouldn't just sit in the cabana all day. It would be nice to spend some time on the beach without wall-to-wall loungers, empty or full. So we'll think about it but are inclined to skip it.

Do the masses of loungers extend all the way down in front of #21 also?
DreamGirl90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 11:06 AM   #1712
cheesemouse
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 727

A question about booking the cabanas. We are in a concierge cabin for this cruise. I understand we will be able to book at 120 days. But I've also read that the shoreside concierge staff can book this for us too. Which is the better way???

I don't imagine that shoreside staff is up at 12:00 am and 1 second to book these cabanas. Are they likely to be gone by the time the shoreside concierge gets to work on our 120 days out date? Thanks for the help - this is our first DCL cruise and first time doing concierge so I don't get how it all works. Oh and we want to get one on the family beach, not serenity bay if that matters.
cheesemouse is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 08-20-2012, 11:20 AM   #1713
disney minnie
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 1,028

I talked to the shoreside staff and told them what I wanted and then I was still up at midnight getting my stuff. Anything I didn't get they said they would deal with. I was glad that I did this because all cabanas were booked by about 12:30 am
disney minnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 12:06 PM   #1714
ntheory
DIS Veteran
 
ntheory's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Georgia
Posts: 1,338

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesemouse View Post
A question about booking the cabanas. We are in a concierge cabin for this cruise. I understand we will be able to book at 120 days. But I've also read that the shoreside concierge staff can book this for us too. Which is the better way???

I don't imagine that shoreside staff is up at 12:00 am and 1 second to book these cabanas. Are they likely to be gone by the time the shoreside concierge gets to work on our 120 days out date? Thanks for the help - this is our first DCL cruise and first time doing concierge so I don't get how it all works. Oh and we want to get one on the family beach, not serenity bay if that matters.


Concierge encouraged me to do it myself because the cabanas do go quickly. I was up at midnight booking mine and got the one I wanted. They do hold some back for concierge guests, but they are the higher numbered cabanas. If you want a lower numbered one, book it yourself at midnight.
__________________
~*Shell*~
Me ... Dh .... DS (20, US Marine Corps ... OohRah!!!) ... DS (16).... DD (7)

WDW - too many times to count; Cruised for the 1st time - Sept. 27, 2008 Double Dip ; Made AMAZING friends on the Haunted Magic - October 31, 2009

Next trip ... Escaping the Election chaos on the Fantasy - November 3, 2012
ntheory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 12:21 PM   #1715
gometros
WDWWDS Chief Weapons Inspector and Cruise Captain
Solemnly swears always to leave the tagging to the experts!! :p
 
gometros's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: New York
Posts: 7,464

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneyholic family

The cabanas are set back and roped off
And there is vegetation between the cabanas and the beach so you see water more than lounge chairs
But not to worry
Unless you're booking at 120 days you won't be able to book a cabana at serenity bay anyway

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards
That is fot necessarily true. I booked at 105 days and was able to secure a cabana on SB. It all depends on the cruise.
__________________
Sandy / @SandyCanetti / DVC '96
gometros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 12:22 PM   #1716
SINK
Mouseketeer
 
SINK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Arcadia, California (Los Angeles)
Posts: 483

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiasgirl View Post
They definitely include infants HOWEVER if you have more than 6 people, they do not charge the extra $50 for the infant.
Thanks for the info. We will have 8 including the infant.
__________________
SINK = Single Income No Kids. Update: we now have one kid!

Disney trips with our little one
2011 Jul: 3 nights-VGC 2BR, 2011 Aug: Split Stay 3 nights-Treehouse/3 nights-Old Key West GV/2 nights-BWV 2BR, 2011 Nov: 4 nights-ARS 1BR OV
2012 Apr, Jun, Oct: 1 night-VGC GV, 2012 Jul, Aug, Oct: 1 night-VGC studio, 2012 May: 7 nights-BLT LV Studio/2 nights-BWV 1BR BW View, 2012 Sep: 6 nights-ARS (Studio), 2012 Nov: 3 nights-BWV GV/4 nights Disney Dream/1 night-BLT GV/2 nights-VWL 2BR
2013 Mar: 8 nights-BLT (MK View Studio), 2013 Sep: B2B Disney Dream, pre and post cruise 1 night stays
2014 Apr: Split Stays (OKW GV 4 nights, BCV 2BR, and BLT 2BR 3 nights), 2014 May (ARS studio OV 2 nights)
SINK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 01:19 PM   #1717
Reto
Baloo's Best Buddy:-)
 
Reto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Suburban Lucerne, Switzerland
Posts: 646

Quote:
Originally Posted by gometros View Post
That is fot necessarily true. I booked at 105 days and was able to secure a cabana on SB. It all depends on the cruise.
That is true! I got SB Cabana #20 at 90 days before my Nov. 10 Fantasy cruise. However this was the very last one available.
__________________
11/2009: 1st WDW Visit (Pop Century 50's) & 1st DCL Cruise (Disney Magic Western Caribbean Double Dip)
11/2010: 2nd WDW Visit (AKL Jambo House Savannah View)
11/2011: 2 Nights at Disney's Vero Beach, 4 Night Disney Dream Cruise & 4 Nights at Disneyland Hotel 2 Bedroom Suite
11/2012: 4 Nights Lion King Suite @ Art of Animation & 5 Nights Wilderness Lodge & 7 Nights Disney Fantasy Western Caribbean Cruise
05/2013: 4th WDW Visit - 7 Nights Saratogs Springs 2-Bedroom Villa
Reto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 12:55 PM   #1718
gometros
WDWWDS Chief Weapons Inspector and Cruise Captain
Solemnly swears always to leave the tagging to the experts!! :p
 
gometros's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: New York
Posts: 7,464

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reto

That is true! I got SB Cabana #20 at 90 days before my Nov. 10 Fantasy cruise. However this was the very last one available.
That's the one we got as well.
__________________
Sandy / @SandyCanetti / DVC '96
gometros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 04:27 PM   #1719
Savannah Mom
Earning My Ears
 
Savannah Mom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Savannah, GA
Posts: 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamGirl90 View Post
We always book at 120 days. My DH is Platinum but when we cruise together we always get a suite, so being Concierge I do the online bookings. We've done the nature walk and kayaking, jet skis, parasailing and snorkel excursion, so it never made sense for us to get a cabana but we thought we might try it to know what it's like.

We wouldn't just sit in the cabana all day. It would be nice to spend some time on the beach without wall-to-wall loungers, empty or full. So we'll think about it but are inclined to skip it.

Do the masses of loungers extend all the way down in front of #21 also?
We were in #14 ( and 21 is further down I think?) this past Saturday and it was GREAT. There was a little tidal pool in front of us (technically not for swimming but my kids waded in and found hermit crabs, etc. The swimming water was just to the left. I couldn't see any chairs until I rounded the corner.

View from cabana deck (looking left towards ship- that's #12 next to us)):


View from cabana (looking straight out- this is the little lagoon- the sign says no lifeguards):


View standing straight out from cabana by lagoon's water's edge looking left- you can see the umbrellas/chairs of the private cabana beach. Honestly there were VERY few people sitting in those chairs, most were empty. The mats and floats were there as well.



We LOVED having the cabana- was great having a place to put everything, fridge stocked with water/sodas/fruit, place to get out of the sun, fresh water shower, easy walk to bathrooms/Cookies Too. We also used the snorkeling equiptment and my son and his friends used the bikes (we ran out of time!)
__________________
Kristin
We're going on our first Disney cruise (Disney Dream 8/15)!!!- me, DH, DS (14 in Nov.), DS (9) and DD (almost 5)

Savannah Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 06:27 PM   #1720
CEGrant
Mouseketeer
 
CEGrant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 379

Beautiful pictures! We have #9 coming up. Can't wait!
__________________
CEGrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 06:58 PM   #1721
Savannah Mom
Earning My Ears
 
Savannah Mom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Savannah, GA
Posts: 47

Here are a few more from #14 if y'all are interested

Entering the cabana


Walking into the cabana:

Cabana from the beach

Cabanas 15, 14, 12 as viewed from the beach

Inside looking towards front/path (my back to beach)

On the outside deck

OH MAN, wish I were still here (aka, the hammock )
__________________
Kristin
We're going on our first Disney cruise (Disney Dream 8/15)!!!- me, DH, DS (14 in Nov.), DS (9) and DD (almost 5)

Savannah Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 10:56 PM   #1722
Renysmom
Just wondering what is going on
Something has to pay for my WDW trips LOL
 
Renysmom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Virginia
Posts: 4,579

For those of you who have split the cost of the Cabanas between one or more families/cabins, etc. How did you handle that? Were you able to call DCL before you cruised or did you go to guest services on board?
__________________
Kelly....

*****************
WDW Oct 2005--WDW Dec 2006-- WDW Dec 2007--WDW/Wonder Cruise Oct 2008--WDW March 2009--WDW July 2009--WDW Oct 2009 -- Magic Western Cruise Nov 2009--WDW Dec 2009--WDW Aug 2010--WDW/Wonder Cruise Dec 2010--WDW April 2011--WDW Aug 2011--WDW/Dream Oct 2011--WDW Dec 2011--WDW April 2012--Fantasy Eastern Oct 2012-- WDW May 2013 -- Fantasy Western Sept 2014
Renysmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 12:07 AM   #1723
disneyholic family
Wayne always catches me
i cannot wear anything between my toes
 
disneyholic family's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: in my heart i'm always in WDW
Posts: 16,244

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamGirl90
We always book at 120 days. My DH is Platinum but when we cruise together we always get a suite, so being Concierge I do the online bookings. We've done the nature walk and kayaking, jet skis, parasailing and snorkel excursion, so it never made sense for us to get a cabana but we thought we might try it to know what it's like.

We wouldn't just sit in the cabana all day. It would be nice to spend some time on the beach without wall-to-wall loungers, empty or full. So we'll think about it but are inclined to skip it.

Do the masses of loungers extend all the way down in front of #21 also?
Maybe you would be happier with a family beach cabana
For one thing, you'll be much closer to all the activities
And then you'll have the private family beach in front of you
And if you get #17 you'll be very secluded with no swimming beach in front of you at all (it's just around the bend but not in your field of vision) - I think 14, 15 and 16 have a similar view

As for the adult beach, the chairs and people don't bother me
In fact it makes me happier to have the cabana as a refuge

But I live 10 minutes from a gorgeous beach on the Mediterranean so I might have a different point of view on beaches

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards
__________________
Beth
disneyholic family is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 12:53 AM   #1724
jilljill
Collects Disney men!
I had to go and write a novel didn't I?!
Come on over and join our thread
 
jilljill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: 13-14½ hours drive from WDW - depending on who is driving (lol) OR 5 minutes!
Posts: 18,143

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renysmom View Post
For those of you who have split the cost of the Cabanas between one or more families/cabins, etc. How did you handle that? Were you able to call DCL before you cruised or did you go to guest services on board?
You need to handle it at Guest Services once on board the ship.
__________________
Disneynutinlondon hit me
jilljill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 09:31 AM   #1725
DreamGirl90
Mouseketeer
 
DreamGirl90's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 179

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneyholic family View Post
Maybe you would be happier with a family beach cabana
For one thing, you'll be much closer to all the activities
And then you'll have the private family beach in front of you
And if you get #17 you'll be very secluded with no swimming beach in front of you at all (it's just around the bend but not in your field of vision) - I think 14, 15 and 16 have a similar view

As for the adult beach, the chairs and people don't bother me
In fact it makes me happier to have the cabana as a refuge

But I live 10 minutes from a gorgeous beach on the Mediterranean so I might have a different point of view on beaches
We live in a condo at Daytona Beach Shores. It isn't the Med, but it isn't bad!

We do not have children and don't want to risk paying nearly $500 to be next to a cabana full of young ones who may equate playfulness with loudness. It is nothing against kids, but there are enough on the ship and when we are on CC we would like an adult retreat. If we can't have that, we will stick to excursions and roam the island. We don't mind being around kids, but we don't want to pay a high price to be stuck next to one family all day with no way to know in advance if it will be a couple with two well-behaved kids or at the opposite extreme, two couples with four screaming little ones. For us that would be a $500 gamble. We can live without a cabana and give others more opportunity to nab one.
DreamGirl90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
PJ & TR: Claire & Mike - WP/KWR/SCP - 30 Dec 09 - **Inside Disney Weddings Podcast** Chilly Planning our Happily Ever After 1013 03-11-2011 04:44 AM
Castway Cay Scuba Diving Grumpy Fireman Disney Cruise Line Forum 6 11-22-2009 09:06 PM
Pinkerbell's TR-5/18/09-WP-Whitehall Room-Sago Cay Point *More Wedding Pictures* Pinkerbell1983 Planning our Happily Ever After 270 11-21-2009 01:16 PM
castaway cay thoughts flagfred Disney Cruise Line Forum 1 11-19-2009 12:13 PM
Looking for a Castaway Website BWV Dreamin Disney Cruise Line Forum 1 11-18-2009 08:05 PM

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:58 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.

You Rated this Thread: