Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-22-2011, 08:30 PM   #751
HappyPeach
Mouseketeer

Cabana #5

Since two of you have asked, I really liked the location for cabana 5. The cabanas truly are all the same (other than colors ) so location is the only variable. We had one of the bins of floats and tubes right along our direct path to the water. We could use the beach loungers right in front of our cabana. It's a super short walk to the bathrooms and Cookies 2.

I'll also comment on cabana 16. I was there last week. It's the next-to-last cabana and the walk to C2 and bathrooms is still quite short. The area right in front of 16 and 17 is pretty much just a sand bar with tidal pools. At low tide, it was mostly sand with pools of water. DH found all sorts of tiny fish and the kids loved it. The lack of swim-able beach there actually made it tremendously private. The walk over to the area where you can swim is maybe 1 minute. When the tide came in, the area in front of us filled with water and looked totally different. My friend and I were able to sit in the shallow water and cool off while our kids played (our DHs were off snorkeling.) The area is marked with "no swimming" signs but no employees objected to us sitting there.

I would do either location again. If you want an ultra-private location, one of the "end" cabanas is good. DH and I preferred 5's location, but we were happy with both. Hope this helps.
4 day Disney Wonder, June 2007 -*- 7 day Eastern Caribbean Disney Magic, February 2010 -*- 4 day Disney Wonder, May 2010 -*- 7 day Western Caribbean Disney Magic, February 2011 -*- 7 day Eastern Caribbean Disney Magic, April 2011 -*- 5 day Disney Dream, January 2012 -*- 7 day Disney Fantasy, April 2013 -*-12 day EBTA Disney Magic, May 2014

[url='http://www.mickeypath.com/']

HappyPeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 09:03 PM   #752
Princess Bette
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyPeach View Post
Since two of you have asked, I really liked the location for cabana 5. The cabanas truly are all the same (other than colors ) so location is the only variable. We had one of the bins of floats and tubes right along our direct path to the water. We could use the beach loungers right in front of our cabana. It's a super short walk to the bathrooms and Cookies 2.

I'll also comment on cabana 16. I was there last week. It's the next-to-last cabana and the walk to C2 and bathrooms is still quite short. The area right in front of 16 and 17 is pretty much just a sand bar with tidal pools. At low tide, it was mostly sand with pools of water. DH found all sorts of tiny fish and the kids loved it. The lack of swim-able beach there actually made it tremendously private. The walk over to the area where you can swim is maybe 1 minute. When the tide came in, the area in front of us filled with water and looked totally different. My friend and I were able to sit in the shallow water and cool off while our kids played (our DHs were off snorkeling.) The area is marked with "no swimming" signs but no employees objected to us sitting there.

I would do either location again. If you want an ultra-private location, one of the "end" cabanas is good. DH and I preferred 5's location, but we were happy with both. Hope this helps.
HappyPeach - thank you for great info - we will be staying in 17 and I was worried about the lack of swimable beach. Your comments put me at ease and I look forward to the pools of water - sounds fun! And a 1 minute walk to deeper waters in not much at all! Thanks again!

March 24-28, 2013 Disney Dream Spring Break Cruise with MaMaw
Nov 30-Dec 8, 2012 Fort Wilderness at WDW
July 5-10, 2011 Disney Dream 5 Night Double Dip Bahama's Cruise
March 21-24, 2010 Disney Wonder 4 Night Spring Break Bahama's Cruise
Princess Bette is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-22-2011, 09:23 PM   #753
Dizzyworld
DIS Veteran

Location: Towson, MD---930 miles too far from my happy place!

Since we reserved #6, it is good to hear all the positive things about #5.
Poly - 1/85, 6/02, 8/07, 8/08, 10/09 (Food & Wine Festival & MNSSHP), 8/10 ~~~ BC - 8/00, 7/09 ~~~ YC - 8/03 ~~~ WL - 12/02 ~~~ AKL - 8/04, 12/04 ~~~ Contemporary - 8/08 ~~~ Swan - 12/05, 8/06 ~~~ POFQ - 8/07 ~~~ Off-Site - 3/89

DCL Magic - 8/01 (Eastern), 8/04 (Eastern), 8/06 (Western- Double Dip), 7/09 (Eastern - Tortola)
DCL Wonder - 6/02, 8/07, 8/08 (Double Dip)

DCL Dream - B2B - 7/11 & 8/11, 3/13, 12/13
DCL Fantasy - 6/12 (Western)
1/15 (Eastern)
Dizzyworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 06:47 PM   #754
LV Disney Fan(atic)
"Laughter is timeless, imagination has no age, and dreams are forever." - WD

I've read that there are safes in the cabanas - can anyone tell me about how big they are? I'd like to bring my nice camera but would like a safe place to keep it while we're in the water. Would a medium-sized DSLR (Canon T2i) fit in the cabana safe? Any info would be appreciated!
Old 04-29-2011, 06:49 PM   #755
KristiMc
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by LV Disney Fan(atic) View Post
I've read that there are safes in the cabanas - can anyone tell me about how big they are? I'd like to bring my nice camera but would like a safe place to keep it while we're in the water. Would a medium-sized DSLR (Canon T2i) fit in the cabana safe? Any info would be appreciated!
Yes, I was able to put my Canon T2i in the safe with lots of extra room.
Old 04-29-2011, 06:55 PM   #756
all5ofus
DIS Veteran

DVC Gold Member
Paid DVC Rent/Trade
Gold Membership

Quote:
Originally Posted by LV Disney Fan(atic) View Post
They are the same safe as in the staterooms.
Old 04-29-2011, 07:23 PM   #757
LV Disney Fan(atic)
"Laughter is timeless, imagination has no age, and dreams are forever." - WD

Quote:
Originally Posted by KristiMc View Post
Yes, I was able to put my Canon T2i in the safe with lots of extra room.
Quote:
Originally Posted by all5ofus View Post
They are the same safe as in the staterooms.
That's great to know - thank you both for your quick responses!
Old 04-29-2011, 08:19 PM   #758
alayne
DIS Veteran

Question...

I have read a lot of this thread and noticed people stating it wasn't worth the money to get the Cabana if you were going to see the Stingrays. I am a redhead who burns really easy (even in winter months) and I can't stay in the sun for long periods of time. I'm also not a big beach fan.

However, my DH and DS are. If we booked the first Stingray appointment and then headed over to the Cabana and spent the rest of the day would we still be able to enjoy it. I know my DS will want to do the slides and find the hidden mickey. How long do those things take?

I was just thinking it might be nice to spend the first part of the morning doing all the other stuff and then from lunch until boarding we could spend in the Cabana. I don't want to miss my DS doing things (I take the pictures) but I also don't want to spend all day in the sun.

If we didn't do the Cabana where would someone like me go to get out of the sun and still be able to spend time with my boys who could live in the sun?
alayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 08:33 PM   #759
princssdisnygina
Disney Princess

Quote:
Originally Posted by alayne View Post
I have read a lot of this thread and noticed people stating it wasn't worth the money to get the Cabana if you were going to see the Stingrays. I am a redhead who burns really easy (even in winter months) and I can't stay in the sun for long periods of time. I'm also not a big beach fan.

However, my DH and DS are. If we booked the first Stingray appointment and then headed over to the Cabana and spent the rest of the day would we still be able to enjoy it. I know my DS will want to do the slides and find the hidden mickey. How long do those things take?

I was just thinking it might be nice to spend the first part of the morning doing all the other stuff and then from lunch until boarding we could spend in the Cabana. I don't want to miss my DS doing things (I take the pictures) but I also don't want to spend all day in the sun.

If we didn't do the Cabana where would someone like me go to get out of the sun and still be able to spend time with my boys who could live in the sun?
If you think approx 4 hours in a cabana is worth $500 then I say go for it. I personally wouldn't get a cabana if I couldn't enjoy it all day.

As far as getting out of the sun... they do have umbrellas and shaded areas on the beach but again... if you don't head over there until later you might find it hard to find any available.

I am not sure how long the stingray thing takes, I think 45 mins to an hour but if that is all you did then you would definitely have time to enjoy the cabana for the most of the day. I think the cabana is especially great for those who don't want to be in the sun or even in the sand. I don't think your kids will be bored.
princssdisnygina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 01:24 AM   #760
amyah12
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess Bette View Post
We are sailing this July on the Dream, but not concierge. I have been checking daily for available cabana's online and one became available today! I was so excited and booked it immediately! So don't give up yet...one may be available for your cruise as well...when you can begin online bookings, check daily for availability - you may be surprised like we were! Good luck! Now, if those ressies for brunch and high tea would open up, I would be set!!!
This was encouraging to read as everything right now for our upcoming cruise is unavailable. I guess I'll keep checking back daily, perhaps multiple times throughout the day.
amyah12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 09:43 AM   #761
poohj80
Got Hunny?

We are looking for a family who might be interested in sharing a cabana on the May 26th 3 night Dream cruise. Anyone out there?

FINALLY found Snow White after she was MIA dealing with a strike at the mine all week
poohj80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 10:13 AM   #762
lovesDCL
Mouseketeer

DVC Gold Member
Paid DVC Rent/Trade
Gold Membership

Hello cabana veterans!

My hubby and I will be on the 5 night Dream Double Dip in August and are debating getting a cabana on Serenity Bay, since that is all that is available. It would be cabana #20.

Is cabana #20 a good location?
Is a cabana on serenity bay worth $400?
Is having only 2 people in the cabana a waste?

I really want to try the cabana experience, but I need to if its best to use my $400 here or at the spa!

Thanks in advance for any help!
Old 05-08-2011, 11:35 AM   #763
pixie08
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shebbieal View Post
I am interested in info on cabana # 1. Any pictures? Before anyone asks I know 1 is accessible, and yes I am in a wheelchair.

Thanks
Sherry
Passporters.com has a video of this cabana on youtube.. we have it booked for June. My brother is in a wheelchair. If you look on the cc map it seems to be in a great location. close to cookies 2 and all of the shops and bathrooms games etc.

here's the link..

http://youtu.be/6SdnRnM9xe4

You can see the long ramp up ramp instead of the three steps they usually have.

Last edited by pixie08; 05-08-2011 at 11:41 AM.
pixie08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 11:43 AM   #764
pixie08
DIS Veteran

Does anyone know if Cabana 1 has a hammock like the other cabanas?

pixie08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 02:14 PM   #765
ppiew
DIS Veteran

I too was in a wheelchair. #1 not only had a ramp to get in - it also had an electric outlet to use if you needed to plug in a scooter.

Hammocks are in the sand. If you don't have enough mobility to move from porch to sand you would be out of luck!

Sting ray took close to 3 hours for our granddaughter and her father. they were gone until lunch (they had either the 9 or 9:30 stingray adventure).
ppiew is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: