Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando Stroller rental questions and share tips.
Orlando Stroller Rentals is your #1 place to rent a high-end stroller to use during your family vaction to the Orlando area.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Families
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-21-2009, 02:44 PM   #1
sl_underwood
DIS Veteran

gifts for 8 yr old girl

What do 8 year old girls like? My friend who is a foster parent got an 8 year old girl last night. The girl came with nothing, not even shoes or a coat. She is spending the weekend purchasing a winter wardrobe for her but she says the little girl wants nothing. She has no preferences or opinions. When she asked about Christmas, the girl told her there was no Santa. She said she didnt want anything. It is so sad. Of course, my friend will be buying gifts. She wants to buy a good quality African American doll, maybe an AG doll. Doesnt know what else to buy. She has already bought gifts for her bio kids (all teens) and they have 6-8 gifts each so she wants to make sure this child has as many or more gifts. Any suggestions?
sl_underwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 02:51 PM   #2
playswithstars
Mouseketeer

My first graders are around that age so here's some of the things my girl students like. They like anything Disney- Princesses, Tinkerbell, Hannah Montana, Camp Rock. They also LOVE lipglosses, cute hair stuff, crayons, coloring books, markers. I can't really help with the clothes because my students basically have uniforms. Because of the uniform thing they like things that are considered acessories which don't have to follow the dress code cute leggings, colorful shoes, little girl nail polish, play jewerly like necklaces and bracelets.

As far as toys My Little Ponies, Barbies, Dolls, Littlest Pet Shop, and play doh.
playswithstars is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-21-2009, 03:01 PM   #3
Perditamarie
DIS Veteran

Awww...what a great friend, and my heart goes out to that little girl. Here are some ideas:

* mp3 player, loaded w/music and books from cd or from library download
* journal w/fancy, girly pen
* books
* snuggly throw or snuggie and slippers
* jewelry: earrings, bracelet, necklace etc
* craft kit to make above
* wallet w/her own $$ or gift cards
Old 11-21-2009, 03:15 PM   #4
sl_underwood
DIS Veteran

Do you guys know if Limited Too is still a good store for little girls? When my girls were young, the clothes were good quality and it seemed to be a popular brand. My friend wants to make sure she fits into her new school by buying her the right clothes, etc. I suggested she get Sonali from AG for her as she is very pretty. I know last night they went to Walmart and bought pjs, shoes, underclothes and something to wear today out shopping. She offered to let her pick out a toy but she didnt pick anything. I can say my friend has no toys in her house. She has a jungle gym outside and various sports equipment that her boys use, they are 13 and 17, but nothing for a young girl. As much as I try to help, my girls are teens so I am not exactly in on whats popular for kids these days. Thanks so much for your help. You guys are lifesavers.
Old 11-21-2009, 03:25 PM   #5
Perditamarie
DIS Veteran

Limited Too is now Justice, but basically the same. I haven't purchased there yet, but like to scope it out. Everything seems so thin! I also think it's a bit pricey, so would only go w/coupon or good sale. We also like Old Navy and The Children's Place and Lands End.
Old 11-21-2009, 04:08 PM   #6
MSSANDRA
DIS Veteran

How lucky this little girl is to have a loving foster family. Are they sure they will still have her at Christmas? I caution them if they are not sure not to build Christmas up too much in case the next placements does not go all out for her.
I would look for gifts that are easy for her to take with her unless this is a long term placement. Books, a doll or stuff animal, art supplies.
MSSANDRA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 04:20 PM   #7
sl_underwood
DIS Veteran

My friend started fostering with the hope of adopting a girl, and this one is considered a legal risk placement, meaning parental rights arent yet terminated but most likely will be. I hope this works out for her but she knows the risks involved as she has watched me go through it more than once. I know even if she had to send her on tomorrow, she would be happy to send her with toys, clothing, etc.
Old 11-21-2009, 04:36 PM   #8
GaSleepingBeautyFan
DIS Veteran

Anything art related. colored pencils, sketchbook, watercolor paint.

Build a Bear animals are good. My DD fell in love with them. Does she have a favorite animal? Maybe get her one of those from build a bear or just a normal stuffed animal.

Connie

WDW: 16 family trips, 10 solo trips - resorts stayed at: offisite(6) AoA, AKL(2), BWI, CR (2), WL (2), CBR, CSR, POFQ (3), POP (3), POR (6) ASMo, ASMu
DISNEYLAND: 1 family trip, 2 1 day trips chaperoning
US/IOA: 5 family trips
GaSleepingBeautyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 04:56 PM   #9
woodkins
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by playswithstars View Post
My first graders are around that age so here's some of the things my girl students like. They like anything Disney- Princesses, Tinkerbell, Hannah Montana, Camp Rock. They also LOVE lipglosses, cute hair stuff, crayons, coloring books, markers. I can't really help with the clothes because my students basically have uniforms. Because of the uniform thing they like things that are considered acessories which don't have to follow the dress code cute leggings, colorful shoes, little girl nail polish, play jewerly like necklaces and bracelets.

As far as toys My Little Ponies, Barbies, Dolls, Littlest Pet Shop, and play doh.
I'm not sure where you live, or what grade the 8 year old is in, but my dd is 7.5 in 2nd grade & Disney princess/tink are NOT cool LOL. HSM, ICarly, Wizards of Waverly place and Hannah Montana are cool, Camp Rock is over, lip glosses, glitter lotion is cool too. For hair stuff headbands only, no bows etc. Barbies are cool, Nintendo DS's, AG dolls, craft kits (make friendship bracelets, jewelry etc). My Little Pony and LPS are also considered babyish.
For clothes Justice is cool, but very pricey (if you register online they offer 40% off the entire store alot). Target & Old Navy have cool & affordable clothes. All the girls here like Uggs, high top sneakers (funky colors & prints-Heidi High tops from skechers). Lots of peace signs, glitter and funky colored clothes are popular as well.
I know being from NY it seems like our kids are sometimes "older" than kids their age in other parts of the country, so I figured I would put in our take on it. Hugs to your friend and her new foster daughter.

7/14 BC, 4/14 ASSP, 10/13 POLY, 8/13 WL, 4/13 WORLDS @ASMu, 11/12 Aulani 9/12 AKL, 7/12 BC, 10/11 POLY, 9/10 POLY, 12/09 POP, 9/09 GF, 2/09 POFQ, 12/08 POLY, 5/08 POLY, 12/07 POLY, 5/07 ASSp, 12/07 CB, 9/07 AKL, 12/06 ASMo, 9/06 WL,
woodkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 05:36 PM   #10
sl_underwood
DIS Veteran

Build a bear is an awesome idea. I just called her and they are going to visit it while in the mall today. Hopefully she can find a new friend there.
Old 11-21-2009, 06:20 PM   #11
mjkacmom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodkins View Post
I'm not sure where you live, or what grade the 8 year old is in, but my dd is 7.5 in 2nd grade & Disney princess/tink are NOT cool LOL. HSM, ICarly, Wizards of Waverly place and Hannah Montana are cool, Camp Rock is over, lip glosses, glitter lotion is cool too. For hair stuff headbands only, no bows etc. Barbies are cool, Nintendo DS's, AG dolls, craft kits (make friendship bracelets, jewelry etc). My Little Pony and LPS are also considered babyish.
For clothes Justice is cool, but very pricey (if you register online they offer 40% off the entire store alot). Target & Old Navy have cool & affordable clothes. All the girls here like Uggs, high top sneakers (funky colors & prints-Heidi High tops from skechers). Lots of peace signs, glitter and funky colored clothes are popular as well.
I know being from NY it seems like our kids are sometimes "older" than kids their age in other parts of the country, so I figured I would put in our take on it. Hugs to your friend and her new foster daughter.
I agree with everything here - and my 6 year old is over these things as well, probably only because dd8 is. She wants a cellphone, dsi, clothes from Justice, clothes for her AG doll, and zhu zhu pets.
Old 11-21-2009, 07:25 PM   #12
playswithstars
Mouseketeer

I guess my 7 yr olds are behind the times then. Or maybe it's just because they are from a low economic area and happy with whatever they get. But I see much of the things I listed than the older teen shows being played with in the classroom. Alot of them are lucky if they even have basic cable let alone disney or nick. So I guess it depends on where you live because we also have none of the "popular" clothing brands just the main dept. stores and I have no clue what a zhu zhu is. For what it's worth my school is in a pretty small town in PA.

Because somebody said it above I'm 22 and I own small cute bows that I've used in my own hair. More than one of my girl students asked if they could have my bows when I've worn them.

Last edited by playswithstars; 11-21-2009 at 07:42 PM.
playswithstars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 07:48 PM   #13
skip323
Mouseketeer

my dd8 does not necessarily love princesses anymore however with Tiana coming out as the first african american princess, she is so excited!!! dd8's #1 gift this year is the princess and the frog barbie. I could see doing that. Also Carol's daughter has gift sets of shampoo, conditioner, detangler with Tiana on them. Other than that the above suggested things are great. We do have an African American AG doll and my dd10 loves her (Addy). DD8 is interested in getting one of the just like me dolls. I don't know that I would spend that type of $$ though, if this little girl is not into dolls. Unfortunately, with some foster kids, so much of the magic is gone that it really is difficult to ascertain what they are "in to". Many of them learn not to be "into" anything because they won't get what they desire. An MP3 player is an excellent suggestion. A DS ...maybe if there is a good deal on the lite, would be another pretty common toy. Arts and crafts things are always great. A nice journal can be a wonderful thing for any kiddo let alone one who has been through lots of transitions. Clothes are, of course, imperative and though Justice is popular, Old Navy and Aeropostle have great deals and the kids seem to like them quite a bit. A pair of "ugg like" boots would be great...seems to be all the rage with both dd10 and dd8's crowds. Jewelry from Claire's. Nail stuff, bath and body stuff...all good.
I often purchase something for one or two kiddos at my school who are going through home transitions and don't tend to get things for the holidays. I will get a refurb'ed IPOD or something like that. it is just nice for them to have what the other kids have....and is probably even more important than it might be for my own kids. Give your friend a "thank You" from me! So many kids need love and a roof over their heads!
skip323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 08:04 PM   #14
Belle72
Mouseketeer

I completely agree with woodkins. My 7 yr old in 2nd grade has outgrown the Disney princesses. Miley or Hannah stuff is what she and her friends want, Jonas Bros, too. It is a big difference between first and second grade and what they consider babyish, sadly. Justice clothes are in, but they like Target too. Skechers are in, Uggs too. iPods, Nintendo DSi are some high end things, also the Pandora braclets with charm beads. Craft kits, as mentioned earlier. Jump ropes or hula hoops are big on the playground.

Sparkly jewelry (peace signs), accessory scarfs,nail polish in funky colors and nail stickers. Messenger bag for school if she doesn't have one. The girls like the winter scarves and mittens at Gapkids.

I like the idea of a journal for her, too. Maybe a doodle pad and markers, colored pencils.

My daughter likes the new Barbie DVD The Three Musketeers and related merchandise but for some 8 yr olds that may be considered babyish too. There is an african american character in the story and the african am barbie doll.
Belle72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 08:45 PM   #15
ajpa
DIS Veteran

The suggestion for a cuddly toy is good, for nighttime.
Something tactile / creative would be good since the girl sounds really depressed -- clay or paint or yarn project sets.

My dd8 loves club penguin and puffles. She likes anything penguin, actually.
She also likes things she can collect as sets (like all the colors of puffles).
She also likes Diary of a Wimpy kid -- loves the do-it-yourself journal one of this.
And we were looking at the qvc website the other day and she said she really wants magformers (magnetic construction set).
Clothes -- Justice or Target, no princesses.
2007 Jan - Port Orleans French Quarter
2003 Oct - All Star Music
ajpa is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: