Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Global Neighbours > Canadian Trip Planning & Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-19-2013, 03:30 PM   #436
hockeymom3
Mouseketeer

Funny you should post this. Last week I finally booked my airfare and we ARE flying out of Manchester.

I was there last spring and its really not much further from Portland. We paid 1064 for 5 round trip tickets and the main reason we chose Manchester and Southwest is because it is a direct flight.

My only slight worry is ensuring our kids can sit with at least one parent. I don't like the idea of non-assigned seats but I will do check in at the. 24 hr Maryland hope for the best!!!

Second Family Disney Trip April 30 - May 8, 2013 POR
First Family Disney Trip May 2-12, 2009 AKL/WL
hockeymom3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 05:54 PM   #437
RainbowsMist
"There's a little kid in all of us..."

Quote:
Originally Posted by coastgirl
Just wanted to raise Manchester NH as an option again for folks willing to drive to save money. We've flown Southwest and I think Delta out of MHT. It's a great little airport, and I love Southwest. The fares aren't as good as they used to be, but still... It's closer than Boston and you don't need to deal with the big city traffic of BOS. We've done it in the summer as well as Nov/Dec/Feb, and only once had weather bad enough that it was a concern.

My kids are2.5 years apart, so it can get bad but maybe it's worse when they're even closer in age! They first did that drive at 3 and 5, last did it at 8 and 11. (This year we have enough airmiles so flying from YHZ, weird for us!) We bought a dvd player for the van for just that reason, and we only once did it in one day, we usually spend the night with family in NB. And we stop a lot. We need to have a flexible amount of time, because for us it adds 3 or 4 days to the trip. But my dh LOVES a road trip, loves to drive, so I get to spend that time "mediating". :-D
We will be flying with Southwest non stop from Manchester to FLL in 2 1/2 weeks for our cruise. We're flying back from MCO non stop as well. With the no baggage fees it was a great decision. We also booked Homewood Suites, Manchester and they accommodate 6 people in a room! We're looking very forward to our first time flying from Manchester and first time flying Southwest

Posted from DISboards.com App for Android

March 2013 Carnival Breeze & Offsite
March 2012 Jamaica
March 2011 - Offsite
April 2010 - Offsite
March 2007 - Offsite *First Family Florida Vacation!*
RainbowsMist is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-19-2013, 07:00 PM   #438
coastgirl
DIS Veteran

hockeymom I just saw your location--we are HP also, believe it or not! Kingswood...so I can give you really, really precise driving estimates! That's a real score of a total price for airfare for 5 people, well done!

1st trip May/June 06
Jan/Feb 07, same crew at CBR. DCL Magic Eastern Dec 07 CSR Sept 2009
Universal/WWoHP in Sunset Lakes villa Feb 2010 Same again Aug 2013 in Emerald Island villa
PTR/TR Without the Mouse Round 2
TR: First visit to Universal/SeaWorld Feb 2011
coastgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 08:03 PM   #439
hockeymom3
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by coastgirl
hockeymom I just saw your location--we are HP also, believe it or not! Kingswood...so I can give you really, really precise driving estimates! That's a real score of a total price for airfare for 5 people, well done!
Add 10 minutes.....we're in White Hills!!! I could be really cheesy and sing Its a small world!!!!!

I loved Manchester last spring and feel very comfortable leaving from there.

Woohoo I'm excited!! Their rates went up a couple days ago too when I booked it was $92 one way and 121 the other. Now it's 109/136

Old 02-20-2013, 05:03 AM   #440
Ted in Halifax
Over a 2,000 mile drive from Disney!

I too agree with Manchester being a great fly out of location
May 2007 Fort Wilderness Cabins, Feb 2009 Pop Century, Nov 2009 Port Orleans Riverside, March 2010 Pop Century AP, May 2010 All Star Music AP, Nov 2010 POP Century AP, Feb 2011 Port Orleans Riverside AP, March 2012 AKV, March 2012 Disney Dream, March 2012 BWV, Feb 2013 POP AP, March 2013 AKL AP, July 2013 AKL AP, Dec 2013 Coronado Springs AP, Dec 2013 Saratoga Springs AP, and Dec 2013 POR French Quarter AP, JAN 2015 AKL JAMBO HOUSE Watching the SuperBowl at AKL ....
Ted in Halifax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 03:23 PM   #441
hockeymom3
Mouseketeer

Okay previous Southwest flyers I have a question for you. I don't fly a lot (4 yrs ago was last time) and the last time I did I flew AirTransat and they sent me by mail a paper copy of our itinerary and receipt. Should I be expecting anything from Southwest in the mail? Or do I just Print off my internet confirmation copy of what I did online and then get a boarding pass when I arrive???

Old 02-24-2013, 09:30 PM   #442
coastgirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeymom3 View Post
Okay previous Southwest flyers I have a question for you. I don't fly a lot (4 yrs ago was last time) and the last time I did I flew AirTransat and they sent me by mail a paper copy of our itinerary and receipt. Should I be expecting anything from Southwest in the mail? Or do I just Print off my internet confirmation copy of what I did online and then get a boarding pass when I arrive???
Nope, don't expect anything by mail. Print it off yourself, make sure you have the reservation number, and have ID handy to prove you're the ones named on the tickets. Keep an eye on the website to make sure they don't change flight times on you--but South west isn't as bad at this as, say, Air Canada. Also, do you know about the 24 hr check in SW does? You need the ressie # for that. If you are on the road when the 24 hr checkin time rolls around, be sure you have a way to check in on a mobile device at that 24 hr mark. Once we were in the cell hell of the Cobequid Pass (couldn't get a signal) at the 24 hr mark. We got through soon enough to get a decent boarding number, but it was a tense little while...

Sounds complicated, but as long as you know what to do when, it's pretty straightforward, and I actually really like the way SW does it now that I understand it.

1st trip May/June 06
Universal/WWoHP in Sunset Lakes villa Feb 2010 Same again Aug 2013 in Emerald Island villa
Old 02-27-2013, 07:36 AM   #443
3monkeymomma
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by coastgirl View Post
I'm about 15 minutes away, in Timberlea. I'd love to hear about your experience driving. We're thinking about doing this for our trip next year.
3monkeymomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 02:02 PM   #444
hockeymomNS
Has an in with immigration
There will be no discussion of the mud!

I am interested in the driving as well.

Also, you guys are too close not to attend the DIS Meet and Give Kids the World fundraiser in Middle Sackville. Last year we raised $5500 and Teresa and Kathy from the Dis were here. A couple of weeks ago, Pete said that the podcast team is gonna do a field trip up here. Also, Alexandra's Pizza on HP Road was a big supporter last year.

Let me know if you need any more info.
hockeymomNS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 05:50 PM   #445
3monkeymomma
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeymomNS View Post

Also, you guys are too close not to attend the DIS Meet and Give Kids the World fundraiser in Middle Sackville. Last year we raised $5500 and Teresa and Kathy from the Dis were here. A couple of weeks ago, Pete said that the podcast team is gonna do a field trip up here. Also, Alexandra's Pizza on HP Road was a big supporter last year.

I would love some more info on the event.
Old 02-27-2013, 07:08 PM   #446
hockeymomNS

Nova Scotia Dis Meet for GKTW Aug 11, 2013

Hi There....we are planning our 2nd GKTW Dis Meet for this August. Last year we raised over $5500 for Give Kids the World. If you listen to the podcast, the DIS has committed to raising a million dollars for this incredible charity.

This years event is similar to last year, an afternoon of food, music, prizes and Disney. Last year Teresa and Kathy from the DIS Unplugged joined us as well as DISers from Connecticut, PEI and New Brunswick. We sold out, so have rented a bigger venue for this year. We will start with an hour to view our penny auction and silent auction prizes, not to mention socialize. The second hour is a local group (my husband and his buddy), who will play Nova Scotia kitchen party style, including the song that they wrote last year called "Give Kids The World". GKTW has copies of the song and we have been told that it will likely appear in the next PSA/video. The third hour will be the awarding and drawing of prizes. As well, last year we had almost 50 door prizes that we randomly drew for. Admission is $10.00 each for age 10 and older (like Disney). That includes 5 penny auction ballots. Our "Kids Korner" was also a huge hit with loads of freebies and activities for the kids.

Hopefully you can join us and believe it or not, we have sold a few tickets (12) already. The main event is Sunday, but there will be activities all weekend.
Feel free to contact me if you have any questions.
Here is a link to the review that Teresa and Kathy gave after last years event

http://ec.libsyn.com/p/3/5/e/35e04fd...0&c_id=4861065
Old 02-27-2013, 08:52 PM   #447
coastgirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeymomNS View Post

Did you say Aug 11? We leave on our trip Aug 10! Too bad, it would be fun to meet fellow Dis'ers, and help a good cause of course.

Hockeymom, I'm sure there used to be someone else on the board from Timberlea... Amazing to find 3 neighbours here!

I will dig out my notes re driving. As I said, we've driven to Manchester NH and flown from there a number of times. It's about 1000 km each way. The only real decision is "airline" (rte 9) or I95. We generally chose I95, but in the summer when the weather's fine, the airline is better than it used to be. Did it in a storm one February, though, and it was white-knuckle all the way.
There are good choices for long-term parking at hotels in Manchester. It adds time to either end of the trip, but it sure can save money.

1st trip May/June 06
Old 02-27-2013, 08:59 PM   #448
bfamily5
Yes, I need another guide book...it's part of the process

Wow!!! GKTW meet sounds great! Which weekend and where in NS? We may drive down from NB and get our Disney fix

FANTASY- Oct, 2014 Western Carribean
POR - Mar 2014.. us and the whole state of LA
CBR - Sept 2012..Just the 2 of us
POR - Sept 2011..Honey, I'm Home!
POR - Nov, 2009..Disney Love at first Sight!
Me: DH, DD(20), DD(17), DS (15)..
bfamily5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 07:11 AM   #449
hockeymomNS

Read a couple of post up.
It is the weekend of Aug. 10 & 11. The main event is Aug. 11 and we are told the Florida podcast team is coming. Teresa and Kathy came last year. It was soooo cool to meet fellow Disers..... a bit of a back story.....when I decided to try a fundraiser, I put feelers out a year ago January. The first two gals who replied not only helped plan and execute the event, but have become dear friends and boy it is sooo cool to have fellow Disney freaks so close.

I will quote one of the girls who came over from PEI with her sister and her sister's family
"My sister sat there for the first 10 minutes with her mouth open and kept saying that it was a room full of Tina's", meaning Tina is a Disney freak and there were lots of us there!!!
Let me know if you guys want any more info.

BTW Rout 9/airline is a great ride during the summer.
Old 02-28-2013, 10:48 AM   #450
3monkeymomma
Earning My Ears

Sounds like fun! Once I have my summer schedule from work I will be in touch.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: