Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Global Neighbours > Canadian Trip Planning & Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-27-2010, 10:31 AM   #226
LuzzBightyear
Mouseketeer

Hello

PEI guy here, don't see too many other Islanders around, but glad to find lots of fellow Maritimers here.

I am planning a 10 person trip to WDW next fall. I am kinda new to the whole monitoring flight prices thing, so was hoping I could benefit from your experiences.

When you factor in Confederation Bridge, gas, parking, possible hotels for early flight costs..the flight savings would have to be pretty substantial to justify the hassle of packing everyone up (including 3 small children) to fly out or Halifax or Maine. Moncton would be more acceptable as we have relatives there and we could park at their place and stay over night if needed...plus the drive is much shorter. However, my early price research indicates no difference between Moncton and Ch'town fares.

I looked at both Air Canada and Westjet. Unfortunately, all Westjet flights involve overnighting in Toronto both ways...so they are out off the question

So for AC flights next Nov, the best I could find to Orlando was ($298 each way) - $720 taxes included Ch'town to Orlando.

Anyone form PEI or maybe Moncton area...do you think this is as good as we are going to get aside from risking it and waiting for a late seat sale? $720 is the upper limits of our budget so if it goes much higher, it could throw the trip in jeopardy or possibly change it from a stay on Disney property vacation to off!

Any thoughts or comments would be appreciated
LuzzBightyear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 10:58 AM   #227
Applemomma
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuzzBightyear View Post
Hello

PEI guy here, don't see too many other Islanders around, but glad to find lots of fellow Maritimers here.

I am planning a 10 person trip to WDW next fall. I am kinda new to the whole monitoring flight prices thing, so was hoping I could benefit from your experiences.

When you factor in Confederation Bridge, gas, parking, possible hotels for early flight costs..the flight savings would have to be pretty substantial to justify the hassle of packing everyone up (including 3 small children) to fly out or Halifax or Maine. Moncton would be more acceptable as we have relatives there and we could park at their place and stay over night if needed...plus the drive is much shorter. However, my early price research indicates no difference between Moncton and Ch'town fares.

I looked at both Air Canada and Westjet. Unfortunately, all Westjet flights involve overnighting in Toronto both ways...so they are out off the question

So for AC flights next Nov, the best I could find to Orlando was ($298 each way) - $720 taxes included Ch'town to Orlando.

Anyone form PEI or maybe Moncton area...do you think this is as good as we are going to get aside from risking it and waiting for a late seat sale? $720 is the upper limits of our budget so if it goes much higher, it could throw the trip in jeopardy or possibly change it from a stay on Disney property vacation to off!

first off....WELCOME TO THE DIS!!

secondly, you didn't say when you were going but you'll probably find that you'll get a better idea for fares looking 60-90 days out from your trip.

Look at Continental out of Moncton ... I just paid $375 taxes in per person out of Halifax two weeks ago and I think it was the same price out of Moncton so no benefit to traveling to Halifax on that one.

When we went as a family of four in September of 2007 the best price we could get out of Halifax was around $3000 total so we chose to drive to Portland and spend a night in a park and fly. Total for that flight was just under $900, figuring in the hotel and gas we still saved more then $1500 so it was definitely worth it. If it's only one or two of us going I wouldn't do the drive but more then that, or if we're splitting the cost of the room/gas with another couple it's a deal. I was looking at prices for JetBlue and it was basically half the cost of flying out of Halifax ....soooooo tempting.

The biggest tip I can give you is to clear your browsing history/cookies before each internet airline search. If you don't you'll keep getting the same higher pricing as when you first looked. And look on a Tuesday or Wed for a Tuesday or Wed flight (cheaper travel days).

I'm sure others will be along to give you more/better advice ...... Ted?

Have fun planning!

By the way....I'm a pseudo Islander....born in Summerside, lived in Travelers Rest for six months and spent part of every summer until I was 18 in Stanley Bridge!
Register to remove

Old 11-27-2010, 12:46 PM   #228
DisneyRookie2007
DisDad Member #660

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainbowsMist View Post
Well I feel just sick now I was so worried with the price of flights out of Halifax compared to last years great prices that I jumped this past week and booked out of Boston for our upcoming March trip. Well I just got an email and the prices have dropped A LOT!! Our family of 5 could now fly for $2000!! I paid $1000 out of Boston, but when you factor in the 10 hour drive, hotel, gas and food we'll really only be saving about $500 now. Seemed so much more worth it when we were saving THOUSANDS and Halifax airport is only 40 MINUTES from our house!
Yeah - I hear ya !!

I guess it's best not to dwell on it now though - you'll drive yourself crazy price shopping now after you've already bought the tickets.
2010 (Jan): POR
2012 (Mar): POP
DisneyRookie2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 12:54 PM   #229
DisneyRookie2007
DisDad Member #660

Quote:
Hello

From my experience, there is little difference in price flying from either Moncton of Halifax, BUT, WESTJET does on occasion offer up direct flights from Halifax (depending on the time of year I'm guessing).

We have friends in Halifax and can stay overnight there if needed, but certainly prefer the convenience of flying from Moncton - and so far with the small difference in price, will likely still opt to fly from Moncton.

We are planning on going back to Disney in May 2012 - and so we are keeping our flight options open. There is certainly a large difference when flying from Maine or NH, but when you figure in the extra day of travel each way, food, gas, hotel, etc., the savings have to be greater than just a few hundred dollars.
2010 (Jan): POR
2012 (Mar): POP
DisneyRookie2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 12:59 PM   #230
RainbowsMist
"There's a little kid in all of us..."

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyRookie2007 View Post
Yeah - I hear ya !!

I guess it's best not to dwell on it now though - you'll drive yourself crazy price shopping now after you've already bought the tickets.
Sad thing is I wasn't even shopping. I thought I had stopped all my email aifare alerts..guess I forgot one To add insult to injury..I hadn't purchased our return flights home so I thought "hey! we can rent a car, drive to Boston and fly from there..and get the great deal and fly back into Halifax"..well from the time I looked up one way car rentals (to see if they even did that) and went back to West Jet the non-stop fare was gone and the 1 stop went back up!!

Guess it wasn't meant to be

March 2013 Carnival Breeze & Offsite
March 2012 Jamaica
March 2011 - Offsite
April 2010 - Offsite
March 2007 - Offsite *First Family Florida Vacation!*
RainbowsMist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 11:40 AM   #231
DisneyFreak06
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Hello

Welcome to the Dis! (Love the name, by the way!) I totally understand about the cost of driving. Personally, I love the convenience of flying out of Charlottetown, and I'd pay more for that as well. My sister who has 3 children, flies out of Charlottetown as well, but my sister with 2 children, prefers paying less and flying out of Bangor or Portland. I don't think she saved a whole lot of money, but she did save some because she got flights for about $200 each.

I used to see a difference when flying out of Halifax than Ch'town, but lately it has not been anything much at all. Last July/Aug I was able to fly out of Charlottetown for $502 return, taxes and fees included. We booked in May I believe. And you may need to book the tickets individually. I was booking for 3 people, and was able to book 2 tickets at the deal, but not 3, when I typed in 3 people, AC bumped the price up quite a bit. So I booked 2 and then booked the third and got that ticket for about $550.

Good luck with your planning, and keep in mind, we're all here to help!
Tina the F.I. Kindergarten Pop Century (06) Pop Century (07) POFQ (09) All Star Music (09) All Star Movies and Grand Floridian(10) DL HoJo Anaheim (12) Port Orleans Riverside (12) DL Carousel Inn (13) Art of Animation and Pop (13)Sports and POR (14)

My Trip Reports:
Someone left their inside b*** on the toilet (WDW, July/Aug 2014) Dorothy and Blanche: a tale of leftover shoes and lost things! My Club 33 Disneyland trip! July 2013A Blast from the Past (2009!)The trip to make up for the cold (WDW, July 2012) I'm never staying home for March Break again (Disneyland, March 2012) You little sneak, a TR with lies and pictures (WDW, July/Aug 2010)
DisneyFreak06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 03:02 PM   #232
Applemomma
DIS Veteran

Haven't looked into this farther but this was on MCO's Facebook page today.... might be of interest to someone!

Quote:
WestJet has announced two new seasonal routes from Orlando International Airport, to Moncton, NB and St. John's, NF. During peak season, WestJet will serve 11 destinations non-stop from MCO.
I suspect it's the same as every year and therefore not new news.....
Old 11-29-2010, 08:25 PM   #233
Aubie881
Mouseketeer

sprmom, the best i have seen of Delta out of halifax was around 400 return. Fredericton to Portland is not much more of a drive. For our dates that we travel we usually save about a 150 a ticket. All other expenses pretty much cancel out as far as travel to either portland or halifax.
Old 12-01-2010, 07:49 AM   #234
Ted in Halifax
Over a 2,000 mile drive from Disney!

Just booked my flights ...

Manchester, NH (MHT)to New York/Newark, NJ (EWR)on Mon., 14 Feb., 2011
New York/Newark, NJ (EWR)to Orlando, FL (MCO)on Mon., 14 Feb., 2011
Orlando, FL (MCO)to New York/Newark, NJ (EWR)on Wed., 23 Feb., 2011
New York/Newark, NJ (EWR)to Manchester, NH (MHT)on Wed., 23 Feb., 2011

5 People $922CDN in total. All Taxes and Fees (except Bag fees included). Worked out to $180 USD per person. Seats assigned in good locations too!
May 2007 Fort Wilderness Cabins, Feb 2009 Pop Century, Nov 2009 Port Orleans Riverside, March 2010 Pop Century AP, May 2010 All Star Music AP, Nov 2010 POP Century AP, Feb 2011 Port Orleans Riverside AP, March 2012 AKV, March 2012 Disney Dream, March 2012 BWV, Feb 2013 POP AP, March 2013 AKL AP, July 2013 AKL AP, Dec 2013 Coronado Springs AP, Dec 2013 Saratoga Springs AP, and Dec 2013 POR French Quarter AP, JAN 2015 AKL JAMBO HOUSE Watching the SuperBowl at AKL ....
Ted in Halifax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 09:50 AM   #235
coastgirl
DIS Veteran

Nice work, Ted. Continental? I got a notice thsi morning about good fares on Continental and Delta. You're beating me! Right now we're at $220 pp rtn from MHT, but w SW I won't be paying bag fees (or seat assignment, but that's because I'll be happy with self-check in), and I'm flying Sat down/Fri back.

I got my outbound down from 109 pp to 99 pp this morning. I want to get on that plane and know NO ONE paid less than I did to be there!

1st trip May/June 06
Jan/Feb 07, same crew at CBR. DCL Magic Eastern Dec 07 CSR Sept 2009
Universal/WWoHP in Sunset Lakes villa Feb 2010 Same again Aug 2013 in Emerald Island villa

PTR/TR Without the Mouse Round 2
TR: First visit to Universal/SeaWorld Feb 2011
coastgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 11:28 AM   #236
dennise
DIS Veteran

Coastgirl and Ted, you are both so patient waiting for good fares and then get them. Good for you.
Old 12-01-2010, 12:44 PM   #237
Ted in Halifax

Yes Continental .... I've been saving our onepass miles! We only plan for 2 bags. Doing a park and fly out of springhill suites (done this before).

This fare has been off and on over the last week. I'd see it one day and then bang ... its up to $300 .... when I saw it again this morning ... I nabbed it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by coastgirl View Post
Nice work, Ted. Continental? I got a notice thsi morning about good fares on Continental and Delta. You're beating me! Right now we're at $220 pp rtn from MHT, but w SW I won't be paying bag fees (or seat assignment, but that's because I'll be happy with self-check in), and I'm flying Sat down/Fri back.

I got my outbound down from 109 pp to 99 pp this morning. I want to get on that plane and know NO ONE paid less than I did to be there!
May 2007 Fort Wilderness Cabins, Feb 2009 Pop Century, Nov 2009 Port Orleans Riverside, March 2010 Pop Century AP, May 2010 All Star Music AP, Nov 2010 POP Century AP, Feb 2011 Port Orleans Riverside AP, March 2012 AKV, March 2012 Disney Dream, March 2012 BWV, Feb 2013 POP AP, March 2013 AKL AP, July 2013 AKL AP, Dec 2013 Coronado Springs AP, Dec 2013 Saratoga Springs AP, and Dec 2013 POR French Quarter AP, JAN 2015 AKL JAMBO HOUSE Watching the SuperBowl at AKL ....
Old 12-01-2010, 01:02 PM   #238
coastgirl
DIS Veteran

We haven't booked our park and fly yet, have had good luck with the Holiday Inn (there are two HIs that call themselves MHT airport hotels). But I'll have a look at Springhill too. You could scrape off our car for us...you're coming back Wed, we're back on Friday.

1st trip May/June 06
Jan/Feb 07, same crew at CBR. DCL Magic Eastern Dec 07 CSR Sept 2009
Universal/WWoHP in Sunset Lakes villa Feb 2010 Same again Aug 2013 in Emerald Island villa

PTR/TR Without the Mouse Round 2
TR: First visit to Universal/SeaWorld Feb 2011
coastgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 01:08 PM   #239
Ted in Halifax

I haven't tried the HI ... but I did look at it. My park and fly handles 5 people in the room and it costs me $126 everything in (plus my Marriott rewards card puts points on my onepass). Shuttle takes about 3 minutes to get to MHT.
Old 12-02-2010, 07:02 AM   #240
Boomer1
Mouseketeer

We are flying out of Manchester, NH on December 29,2010 on the early morning flight with U.S. Airways. Wondering if any fellow Canadian Disers have used this service before and if so where did you overnight?
We plan to travel down the day before and are wondering about any reasonably priced hotel/ park and fly rates.
Excited about the holidays with our favourite mouse!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: