Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-19-2009, 12:30 AM   #1
Jillpie
Can you package some Main St. music and send it to me?

Wouldn't it be brilliant for Orlando airport to have this??

a small grocery store after you get off the plane, like a mini Publix? I mean, the best thing we had before Magical Express came along, was the free stop at the grocery store with the towncars, right? I really miss that. So wouldn't it make sense, for them to provide that service. I would love to be able to grab milk, Oj, water, just a few things to start my vacation. What do you think?

Jillpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 04:38 AM   #2
NMAmy
Can speak food in German
He seemed so normal when I met him
It's not like I'm getting any special sanitation type service
I'm old school-I like my cartoon rodents to be mice

I totally agree with you. If I had the money, I'd actually open a chain of drug stores in airports. I mean, we're stuck in these places and there's always some odd thing I've forgotten or someone starts feeling ill in transit. Seems like every time we fly somewhere, I have to find a drugstore soon after landing for some necessity.
Register to remove

Old 11-19-2009, 05:17 AM   #3
*BTMRR*
DIS Veteran

Wouldn't that be wonderful? I'd love that!
Only problem is...I feel sure the prices would be just as $$$$$$ as they are at WDW itself!
*BTMRR* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 07:06 AM   #4
hucifer
The tag that was here was staler than 3 yr old bread crumbs
The Van Halen song "Running with the Devil" was about my parakeet!
Smell anything? It's just my sauerkraut

Quote:
Originally Posted by *BTMRR* View Post
Wouldn't that be wonderful? I'd love that!
Only problem is...I feel sure the prices would be just as $$$$$$ as they are at WDW itself!
"That will be eight dollars, please."

"But I only bought a gallon of milk."
hucifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 08:15 AM   #5
barkley
DIS Veteran
If I ever have a garage sale the neighbors will think I have major wine and condiment addictions

depending on what they carried and if they could develop a patronige with the airport/flight staff they might not have excessivly high prices.

one of the BEST shops i ever encountered in an airport was a shoe/luggage repair shop. one of my carry-on bags split the seam next to the zipper and i was lamenting out loud to dh how it was going to be a major pain dealing with it-an airport staffer overheard me and pointed me to this little shop that did an awsome job repairing it very quickly. as i sat there i noticed the prices for some of the work they did and found it as cheap if not less than what i paid for comparable work at home. i asked the shop staff how they kept their prices that low and was told that while they had a good bit of traffic from travelers their 'bread and butter' was the airline/airport staff who found them more convenient than having to drop off/pick up off site.

i imagine a small grocery store that kept the kind of items on hand that a staffer would need to make a special trip on the way home for could do pretty well-they could carry dairy products, sodas, bread, juice water and a few other 'essentials'.

i have to say though-the last time we went to disneyland, we used the service vons offers where you make an order ahead of time and schedual it for hotel delivery. it was great being able to pick and choose the brands i wanted and have them delivered within the time period i chose. if i remember right there was no charge for delivery so long as the order totaled at least $50, and given the price of drinks and such that was'nt hard to come up with in the least.

The REAL Barkley

Wedding Groomsman - 1991
Disneyland - 1992
Maui - 1993

"King of the Closet, Guardian & Protector of Cookies Everywhre"

Does not Cruise due to C.D.P.P.
(Chronic Duck Pirate Phobia)
barkley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 08:38 AM   #6
puffkin
DVC Owner- SSR & AKV

I understand what you are saying...but I don't think it would be very successful and the price gouging would be insane. Just do one of the grocery delivery services. They are so easy and VERY reasonably priced. They will even leave the food (including refrigerated) with Bell Services if you aren't in the room yet. We have used Garden Grocer for years and love it

Veteran of 25+ trips to the World
puffkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 10:48 AM   #7
bekkiz
DIS Veteran

I just wish they had a playground. The Seattle airport, as well as many others, has an awesome playground. With the amount of kids going through MCO, I can't believe they don't have one.
Old 11-19-2009, 11:23 AM   #8
Kim&Chris
dreaming of relaxing & soaking up the warm sun at Serenity Bay....

I think that's a great idea, OP!
Kim&Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 12:13 PM   #9
Mom23Disneybelievers
DIS Veteran

Great Idea!!

Mom23Disneybelievers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 12:55 PM   #10
Jillpie
Can you package some Main St. music and send it to me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by puffkin View Post
I understand what you are saying...but I don't think it would be very successful and the price gouging would be insane. Just do one of the grocery delivery services. They are so easy and VERY reasonably priced. They will even leave the food (including refrigerated) with Bell Services if you aren't in the room yet. We have used Garden Grocer for years and love it
OP here. The problem I have with the delivery services is I don't want to pay the 17.00 plus tip on top of the 4 or 5 items that I'm getting. I just want to grab and go, have my stuff and get on the bus. But thanks everyone for your feedback!

Jillpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 02:16 PM   #11
scrapquitler
DIS Veteran

The OP has a great idea, but I can just imagine the high prices that would be charged! But it would be very handy!!

And to the person that suggested a playground:
I totally agree. The last time we flew, I would have given my left arm to have been able to let my then 4 year old run around a playground area for a while to burn off some of his extra energy....and I bet all the people seated around him on the plane would have been thrilled too!
scrapquitler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 02:23 PM   #12
Free4Life11
DIS Cast Member
I just have to say it one more time...YAGE!
"ba-doinka-a-doink-doink"

I think that's a GREAT idea! I'm sure prices would be a little higher, but you already pay a premium on most things purchased at the airport...you're paying for convenience. They could sell those hot/cold insulated bags as well to keep your dairy products cold.
Free4Life11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 02:25 PM   #13
hrh_disney_queen
My DH has the hots for Stacey
Momma wuvs her little kitty-kitty, oh yes she does, oh, yes she does
I knew what he was before I touched him, just never thought they could MOVE that fast

I can only imagine how much a twelve pack of Coke would be!

"There's such a thing as good grief. Just ask Charlie Brown." Michael Scott..................Nothing sucks more than that moment during an argument when you realize you're wrong.
hrh_disney_queen is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: