Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Orlando Hotels and Attractions
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-17-2009, 09:21 PM   #1
singnring
DIS Veteran

Armed Forces Vacation Club - Anyone ever booked an Orlando stay?

We are contenplating a Disney vacation with booking a condo thru the AFVC.
Anyone have any experience with this in the Disney area?
What were the accomodations like?
Clean, safe, decent resorts, a place you can enjoy?
We are worried about trying this since we have no idea what to expect.
Any info would be greatly appreciated! TIA!!
singnring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 09:42 PM   #2
auntyjenn
If you can't say it with a puppet, its not worth saying
I must laugh every time too, because I just did

I have Orbit One Vacation Villas booked. We're not going until December, but it looks nice. How bad could it be for $325 for the week? I'm always glad to have more than one room and basic kitchen stuff. It was really easy to sign up and book. I'll let you know. I plan to take pictures of it for the ITT guy so he can let others know about it.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-18-2009, 07:24 AM   #3
swilshire
DIS Veteran

These are leftover timeshare weeks, so could range from the terrific to the so-so. Probably none of them would be terrible. Just try to find reviews of the selected resort before making your choice.

Sheila
swilshire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 09:04 PM   #4
ktpa68
Earning My Ears

Armed Forces Vacation Club

We have stayed in Orlando through the AFVC many times and we've always had great accomodations. It really depends on which location you choose, we've done 2bd/2ba at the Hilton Grand Vacation Club and Cypress Pointe among others and we've never had a bad experience and our condos were terrific.

Just make sure to do your research online before choosing a location and I'm sure you'll enjoy your trip.
ktpa68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 02:41 PM   #5
facepaintlady
Earning My Ears

re: AFVC

Those are leftover timeshare units from RCI and other timeshare companies. We have a few timeshares through II and RCI, so we just use them to get extra vacation weeks, which is what you'd be getting. It could work well for off-peak weeks. I agree that I would check online for reviews of the condos.

For the poster above me, I'm staying at Cypress Pointe in December and haven't stayed there before, glad to hear it recommended.
facepaintlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 11:42 AM   #6
maddiesmommie
Mouseketeer

We are looking at using AFVC for the first time, too. We have it narrowed down to Silver Lake Resort or Cypress Pointe Grand Villas. Any advice on these? The AFVC rate is 329 for a 2 bdrm 1 week in Oct 2010 which just sounds like an awesome rate.
We are also looking at renting a condo or home in Windsor Hills (not available thru AFVC) which is about 85-100nt. Of course you also have a cleaning fee.The Windsor Hills would be more expensive but looks really nice.
Does anyone have any feedback on Silver Lake vs Cypress Pointe Grand Villas? The AFVC rate seems too good, are these properties nice? Will we regret not spending a little extra to try Windsor Hills properties? Thanks for any help!

Me DH
DD,10:: DS,7

WDW October 2011 Marriot Cypress Harbour
DLR May 2007:Marriott Newport Coast Villas :
Walt Disney World May 2003:Fort Wilderness Cabins

DLR February 85

maddiesmommie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 12:40 AM   #7
Mysteria
MINDFREAK!
I'll release my inner felon on his butt if I get soaked by rain and bumped by pushy people
Make wishes on folded up chips

Here comes the poop tag

Location: They couldn't fit chemical and oil refinery state on the license plates

Of all the properties that are regularly available here does anyone have a suggestion for who handles disabilities best? 3, maybe 4, out of 6 people needing scooters to get around.
Old 03-22-2010, 10:07 AM   #8
sdholt
Earning My Ears

re: AFVC

We recently went to Orlando/Disney World last week for spring break and stayed at Villas at Fortune Place in Kissimmee, FL. It was a really nice unit. It took us a good 20 mins to get to Disney World (may have been faster if we had taken the interstate), but for $349 a week it's worth the 20 min drive each day. We really enjoyed our trip. You can also get discounted Disney World tickets and Universal Studios tickets thru military discount. I think we ended up paying $125 each for a 4 day disney world ticket with Park Hopper option. Great value! We saved alot of money on a place to stay and the tickets. Hope this info helps!
sdholt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 04:44 PM   #9
disneymoon95
Mouseketeer

Afvc

We stayed at Silver Lake on a ground floor 2 bdrm unit and loved it. Would go back again if we could find openings for our dates. It is a smaller, gated resort, nice pools, quiet, and CLOSE to Disney. There is also a back gate out of the resort that can't be more than 2 miles from Disney property (Animal Kingdom).

We had a full kitchen with granite counters, washer & dryer, master bath was huge with a closed off toilet, 3 tv's, pull out sofa bed...couldn't have asked for more.

It is a great deal if you stay here!
disneymoon95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 05:14 PM   #10
steelebug
Mouseketeer

Who is eligible for AFVC?
steelebug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 08:58 PM   #11
eeyorethegreat
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelebug View Post
Who is eligible for AFVC?
Am I eligible to participate?

You are eligible to participate if you are a:

•Member of the Uniformed Services or an adult dependant (Air Force, Army, Coast Guard, Marine Corps, Navy; active duty and both active and inactive reserve and National Guard)
•Foreign exchange service member on permanent duty with the Department of Defense
•Retired Member of the Uniformed Services or an adult dependant (Air Force, Army, Coast Guard, Marine Corps, Navy)
•Civilian employees of the DoD (appropriated, non-appropriated, or retired) or an adult dependant
•American Red Cross personnel serving overseas with the U.S. military
•DoD Dependant School teacher or an adult dependant
•Disabled American Veteran @ 100% with 2765 ID Card
Old 03-24-2010, 09:56 PM   #12
mgmsmommy
Mouseketeer

Our family used them to stay at Cypress Pointe & it was awesome! We loved it. Plenty of room for our family to be comfortable very well taken care of. I was a little hesitant when my dh 1st sugested AFVC& saw you had to pay it all upfront but wouldn't think twice about using them again. It was a great experience for us.
Old 03-25-2010, 11:19 AM   #13
mbethel
Mouseketeer

We stayed at Celebration Resort in 2007 and it was nice, basic but clean. Silver Lake is one of my favorites, especially for the location! A lot of the resorts seems to be RCI resorts so if you can find out what they are categorized (Gold crown, etc) that will help you decide.

http://www.rci.com/RCI/RCIW/RCIW_index See if that helps...

We've used AFVC a couple times and have even used it as a gift for someone without any trouble.
Old 05-04-2010, 08:39 AM   #14
lucigo
DIS Veteran

We have Wyndham Cypress Palms booked for this month, will update on it when we get back. Its a 2 bedroom, and they have wifi in the rooms.
Old 05-22-2010, 10:13 AM   #15
lucigo
DIS Veteran

AFVC in Orlando

We are enjoying our last day at Wyndham Cypress Palms. I highly recommend it. We paid almost $400 for 7 nights after taxes ($349 per week advertised). They asked when we checked in if we were interested in a tour, we said no thanks and we haven't heard from them since. We have a 2 bedroom condo, living room, full kitchen, screened porch, jacuzzi, 3 tv's, DVD player, washer and dryer. It has granite counters, a nice living room and dining room, and there is free wifi. The view from our porch is a nice little lake and we are only a short walk to a pool. It hasn't been very busy here this week. As far as location, we are probably 10 minutes to the parks. Any questions don't hesitate to ask