Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-17-2009, 10:52 PM   #61
laura-k
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missytara View Post
I have to chime in on that one. I preferred POR because I loved having the restaurant available; in lieu of just the food court. Now it has become a mute point, because they don't serve breakfast anymore and the dinners are quite overpriced. But I have fallen in love with the mansions, so I made it my home resort.

I love the fact that you get so many more dining options by taking the water taxi over to DTD. Between Earl of Sandwich, RFC, Wolfgang Puck's Express, and Fulton's, I have a field day over there with meals.

Also I love the lush vegetation and the quiet pools as well. It just suits me, since I mostly travel alone or with friends. Took my mom one year and I didn't think I was going to be able to get her to leave!
My DML is the same way ,She loves the mansions ,I think it would be just fine with her to do 1 day at MK and the other 7 right at the POR she loves the trees and flowers ,She takes the boat ride a couple times to DTD for ice cream -She also rents a bike at least once per visit and just rides around the resort ,so for her this resort really makes the trip -

laura-k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 11:55 PM   #62
LoraJ

I need a vacation!
Wanted to bid on Bare Naked Ladies?!?! The Tag Fairy is Shocked!

Welcome Home!!!!!! Glad you guys had a nice stay at POR! I love the frog. LOL!

I love the pics!

LoraJ is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-18-2009, 05:25 AM   #63
andrewilley
Port Orleans Addict

Welcome back! How odd that the pool was so cold, because as you say all the WDW pools are meant to be heated to 82 degrees. If it was a temporary fault they should have notified the guests.

We're there in Feb and we were hoping to get a swim or two in - coming from the cold and wet UK at that time of year it'll still seem like summer to us. LOL

Andre

For more info on the Port Orleans resorts, please visit www.portorleans.org
Now including a Trip Report forum - any comments on your POR/POFQ stays are welcome

Days Inn Lakeside: Apr/May 89 Disney's Wilderness Lodge: Feb 99Disney's Beach Club: Sep 07, Sep 09
Disney's Dixie Landings: Jul/Aug 95, Oct 96, Sep/Oct 97, Feb 99
Disney's Port Orleans Riverside: Sep/Oct 02, Jun 04, May/Jun 05, May 06, Oct 07, Aug 08, Aug 09, Feb 10, Halloween 10, Aug 11, Aug 12, Feb 13, Aug 13... and coming next, Aug 14
andrewilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 06:03 AM   #64
WDWisOurHappyPlace
Mouseketeer

Hey Shelley, I somehow missed that you left for your trip and was surprised to find your review this morning!

The frog pic is too funny! Glad front desk as least offered to make things better for you. Can't believe about the pool being cold, such a bummer especially for your kids. Must have been a little unnerving watching to see where the storm of last week was going to go!

It was funny that you mentioned about keeping housekeeping out. We plan on doing the same for our upcoming trip. I'm bringing along Clorox wipes and doing what you did. No need to take a chance and get more germs in our room. That vacuum cleaner and whatever else goes from room to room, not worth taking the risk, especially right now.

My DH has decided that CBR tops POR also, but POR holds a special place for me because that is where we stayed when we started going to DW.

Great review and pics! Will be watching for more.
WDWisOurHappyPlace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 07:28 AM   #65
Momof2Disneyboys
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeverBeen2DW View Post
was this the main pool? I have to tell you if the water was not 82 degrees I will pitch a fit!
Yes, it was the main pool. We didn't try the quiet pools at all. DS10 loves pool slides, so we had planned to spend 2 days at the pool. But that didn't happen!

I did send Disney an email last night about the temperature of the POR pool. I told them how in all our trips we have always had comfortable pool water to swim in, but that was certainly not the case this time. So hopefully they will check into it.
Momof2Disneyboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 07:40 AM   #66
Momof2Disneyboys
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monny2AE View Post
Great review! I'm sticking with CBR- I'm spoiled with a bench with a drawer!

We don't let mousekeeping in too much either. I clean myself but I feel tons better knowing it's clean. Call me OCD if you wish.

I love all the pics! Your boys look thrilled in each and every one of them. The one with DS10 and his light saber reminded me to put my DS's light saber on the packing list!
Thanks Kim!

Well, if I call you OCD I will have to call myself OCD because I know we are a lot alike!

I think you better stick with CBR, if for nothing else for your DH!! Gotta keep the DH happy so he keeps taking you back to Disney!

DS10 already had at least 4 lightsabers, but he made yet another one at Disney. Because "they are different now". . . Plus they both bought those generic light up sword/saber thingies from a cart at DHS.

Quote:
And the windblown look is nice- makes you look like a supermodel working the camera

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuzieN View Post
Glad you enjoyed your stay at POR!!! Did you happen to walk the grounds at night? The mansions are absolutely breathtaking at night!!!
We only walked the main area and the AB section at night. So we didn't get to see the Mansions at night. Bummer!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinkerbellinLouisian View Post
Oh My !

I guess since I have made Baton Rouge, Louisiana my home for the last 20+ years...I need to point out to you all the OBVIOUS!

The Frog was NOT an accident.

He was carefully planted there as a part of WDW's continued quest for excellence in Theming...

You are...after all... in a Resort replicating the ambience...including the swamps of Louisiana...

I hope you tipped the staff extra for the Actual Live Frog in your room - cher!

(I'm sure they've tried alligators...but that probably didn't work out as well as the Frogs)

Laissez Le Bon Temps Rouillez !

- Tante Marie
Quote:

And for some reason Kermit's *It's Not Easy Being Green* song is in my head.
You ladies are cracking me up this morning!!
Old 11-18-2009, 07:49 AM   #67
Momof2Disneyboys
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoraJ View Post
Welcome Home!!!!!! Glad you guys had a nice stay at POR! I love the frog. LOL!

I love the pics!
Thanks Lora!

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewilley View Post
Welcome back! How odd that the pool was so cold, because as you say all the WDW pools are meant to be heated to 82 degrees. If it was a temporary fault they should have notified the guests.

We're there in Feb and we were hoping to get a swim or two in - coming from the cold and wet UK at that time of year it'll still seem like summer to us. LOL

Andre
That's what I was thinking. If there was something wrong with the pool heater they could have told us at check in. Because I am not exaggerating - it was freezing!! And we swam in January at CBR when it was much colder outside.

Hopefully it was a fluke! Have a great stay in February, I hope you are able to swim!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDWisOurHappyPlace View Post
Hey Shelley, I somehow missed that you left for your trip and was surprised to find your review this morning!

The frog pic is too funny! Glad front desk as least offered to make things better for you. Can't believe about the pool being cold, such a bummer especially for your kids. Must have been a little unnerving watching to see where the storm of last week was going to go!

It was funny that you mentioned about keeping housekeeping out. We plan on doing the same for our upcoming trip. I'm bringing along Clorox wipes and doing what you did. No need to take a chance and get more germs in our room. That vacuum cleaner and whatever else goes from room to room, not worth taking the risk, especially right now.

My DH has decided that CBR tops POR also, but POR holds a special place for me because that is where we stayed when we started going to DW.

Great review and pics! Will be watching for more.
Yes, we are back already. Quickest week of the year.

We kept an eye on that tropical storm all week watching the weather channel every night . All in all we were very lucky, it could have been much worse. The storm basically missed us down there. All we got was some major wind gusts and lots of clouds.

I know what you mean about your first Disney resort holding a special place in your heart. The rest just don't quite measure up. Almost, but not quite!
Old 11-18-2009, 08:09 AM   #68
Momof2Disneyboys
DIS Veteran

POR Gift Shop ~ Fulton's General Store ~

Old 11-18-2009, 08:24 AM   #69
Momof2Disneyboys
DIS Veteran

More random pics ~

Old 11-18-2009, 08:27 AM   #70
GrammyJudy
DIS Veteran

I loved your report and photos. we are going to POR in Jan for the first time. One question...we will be getting a pack and o=play for 16 month old DGS where will that fit? Looks tight in the pictures. Would it fit in the area by the sinks or in the main room? Hope they figure out the pool water by then...did you complain while you were there? I would think they could change the thermometer if they knew there was a problem.
GrammyJudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 08:36 AM   #71
Momof2Disneyboys
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrammyJudy View Post
I loved your report and photos. we are going to POR in Jan for the first time. One question...we will be getting a pack and o=play for 16 month old DGS where will that fit? Looks tight in the pictures. Would it fit in the area by the sinks or in the main room? Hope they figure out the pool water by then...did you complain while you were there? I would think they could change the thermometer if they knew there was a problem.
There should be plenty of space for a pack-n-play. It might fit in the bathroom area, but it would be tight. It would definitely fit on the door side of the beds, especially if you are not using a trundle bed. We actually used the trundle bed and brought our own twin air mattress. It was a tight fit! We had to put them away first thing when we got up just so we could move!

No, we didn't complain about the pool when we were there. Looking back we probably should have said something. A lot of people were commenting on it out loud (including us), and I'm sure the lifeguards heard it because they were standing right there. But I'm not sure anyone actually made a formal complaint.
Old 11-18-2009, 09:08 AM   #72
Jane-in-PA
Mouseketeer

Lovin' all the great pics, Shelly!

I have to say, it's strange seeing your family with a POR backdrop and not the CBR. It takes some getting used to! Judging by the pics, you all seem to be having a great time. And since I was one of the people recommending POR, that makes me extra happy!

I'm looking forward to your OKW review and pics!
Jane-in-PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 09:10 AM   #73
JoBird
Proud Charter Member of the Tagless Clique
I almost got a tag about clean butter but then the tag fairy saw I don't like tags

This picture needs to be framed. Christmas cards even.

I think it's so cute b/c they've got such genuine, happy to be in that moment right then smiles on their precious little faces.

Love it.

The pictures with the moss dripping out of the trees and the ones of the mansions are making me very homesick. Love the POR look.

The frog.... well, you've heard of my fascination as a child with frogs--- and my quest to kiss them all to try to find my Prince. I have since then given up my obsession once I found Mark- but I would've loved having the little dude in my room.
ANytime my kids find a frog- they yell for me to come running and catch it.... they don't even bother with their Dad.

The lights in the rooms over the bed...... There's a house down the street that has those ! We looked at them in a lighting store- they aren't cheap. Disney must've gotten a good deal.

Love the report.

Jo
Old 11-18-2009, 09:11 AM   #74
kaysmommie
DIS Veteran

Hi Shelley,
So glad your family enjoyed POR. I was wondering how you were going to like it. Your review and pictures are great too! I have to say we ate at the POR food court in May and really liked it. My DS is loving the picture of the frog he thinks he is too cute . I love the look of the Alligator Bayou section. But if we choose a moderate for our June trip well probably go back to CBR because Thomas really wants to stay in a pirate room. Thanks for sharing.
Old 11-18-2009, 09:13 AM   #75
Momof2Disneyboys
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane-in-PA View Post
Lovin' all the great pics, Shelly!

I have to say, it's strange seeing your family with a POR backdrop and not the CBR. It takes some getting used to! Judging by the pics, you all seem to be having a great time. And since I was one of the people recommending POR, that makes me extra happy!

I'm looking forward to your OKW review and pics!
Thanks!

I know, we look different at POR don't we??? As much as we love CBR it was nice to really like POR and not be wishing we were at CBR the whole time.

Thanks for all your help & tips about POR!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: