Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-17-2009, 12:21 PM   #16
PrincessBetsy
"It's kind of fun to do the impossible."

Glad you enjoyed your trip and great review! We stayed at POR in June for the first time in many years and it was quite enjoyable. We are used to staying in Deluxe, so the rooms seemed a bit small, but it is definitely worth staying there to save some extra money. We are going to stay there again when we go in December, so I can't wait to see it when it is all decorated.
Where exactly is Piano Bob? We must find him on our next trip!
PrincessBetsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 12:34 PM   #17
Momof2Disneyboys
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindseynleah View Post
Thanks so much for this review!! We will be at POR in 10 days and I am a bit nervous as we have never stayed here for any length of time. We did stay 1 night in 2007 before moving over to CBR..We had an Alligator Bayou room (which I have requested for this trip)and loved it and hope we get our request. We actually like the look of Alligator Bayou better than the manisons...but seriously any place will be fine....We are at Disney!!!! I can't wait to see your pictures!!!!!!
I liked the looks of AB more than the Mansions too. But when we were walking around the resort one day DH said that he really liked the looks of the Mansions.

Hope you get all your requests and have a great trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by drakes View Post
Very good unbiased review... you give it a fair rating.

Disappointing that the bench did not open for storage - I think that idea is great!

Hope the little frog prince enjoyed his accomodations!

We have luckily never had visitors, but it makes sense to avoid mousekeeping to keep the critters out- I had never thought about it... now I am paranoid Mousekeeping or no mousekeeping ( I'm a sucker for a nice sheet tucked bed- it's never the same when you do it yourself, maybe I should practice more at home - )

Thanks for sharing and looking forward to your photos.
Thanks! Glad you enjoyed it.

Yes, the bench at CBR opens for storage, so I tried to open this one but it was a no-go! Then I saw DH messing with it later in the week and I told him - don't bother, it doesn't open!

Yes, it's not a lot of fun doing the cleaning yourself, but I just felt better having less people coming in and out of the room. DH actually made the beds every morning and took care of putting the trundle bed away and standing the air mattress on it's side and putting it away, while I cleaned the sinks and surfaces with the clorox wipes. So it went fairly quickly every morning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dchi View Post
A Frog! Crazy that you were on a top floor and there was a frog in your room. I wonder how it got there! I do not care for frogs! They do not smile and they make me cry! Not like balling cry but a tear or two. Glad you had a nice time in spite of the frog in your room!
Apparently it was a tree frog. And man could that thing jump high and far and could cling to anything. So I can see how it got up there. The thing is that we found him on our 3rd night, we didn't even have housekeeping come in until the 4th day. So I guess he had been in there the whole time.
Momof2Disneyboys is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-17-2009, 12:34 PM   #18
Jane-in-PA
Mouseketeer

Great review, Shelly! I'm so glad your family enjoyed POR. Even though CBR remains your #1, at least you liked POR and weren't wishing you were back at CBR. POR and POFQ are the only resorts we have stayed at, and we enjoyed them both. If we go back, I would like to give CBR a try.

That's strange about the DME route. When we went, we stopped at OKW and SSR before POR. I don't remember now if we went to POFQ, but certainly not the ones y'all went to.

If I had found a frog in my room..... I am terrified of frogs and lizards, even though I know that's not very rational. Thankfully, nothing (that I was aware of ) was hiding out in my room.

We were in AB25 during our stay, and we used the West depot exclusively. Never a long wait, and empty buses. I don't think they had even been to POFQ first. That was pretty early each morning, so maybe that made a difference.

Too bad about the cold water in the pool. I wonder if the heater was broken. I would have stuck my toe in and said, "No thanks!"

Glad you had fun at Bob's show. We ducked in for a few minutes, but we were pretty tired and didn't stay long. And my "kids" were 18 and 21 at the time and didn't get into it as much as the younger kids were. But most everyone seemed to be having a ball!

I'm looking forward to seeing your pics!
Jane-in-PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 12:38 PM   #19
Momof2Disneyboys
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessBetsy View Post
Glad you enjoyed your trip and great review! We stayed at POR in June for the first time in many years and it was quite enjoyable. We are used to staying in Deluxe, so the rooms seemed a bit small, but it is definitely worth staying there to save some extra money. We are going to stay there again when we go in December, so I can't wait to see it when it is all decorated.

Thanks!

There weren't any Christmas decorations up at POR when we left on Friday, other than in the gift shop. But I'm sure they'll have more up by the time you get there!

Piano Bob is in the River Roost Lounge - between the lobby & the food court. But only on certain nights. I know he was there on our first night, which would have been a Saturday, but we were too tired to stop. Then we happened across him on Tuesday & Wednesday night I think. Definitely ask when you check in!
Old 11-17-2009, 12:40 PM   #20
Lil'Mermaid75
DIS Veteran

DS would've been in heaven had we found a frog in our room! We have a little itty bitty frog as a pet (seriously...this thing is no bigger around than a quarter! ) He plays with that darn thing all the time! It's been in all his cars, Kinex merry go round...you name it! I'm with you, though, my initial shock would've been to scream and make DH investigate!!!
Lil'Mermaid75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 12:46 PM   #21
mickey916
Mouseketeer

Thanks for the review! Just curious - what puts CSR in last place? We have gone twice and stayed at CBR both times. We decided to try something new and we're staying at CSR this time. Will we be disappointed?
mickey916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 12:48 PM   #22
Momof2Disneyboys
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane-in-PA View Post
Great review, Shelly! I'm so glad your family enjoyed POR. Even though CBR remains your #1, at least you liked POR and weren't wishing you were back at CBR. POR and POFQ are the only resorts we have stayed at, and we enjoyed them both. If we go back, I would like to give CBR a try.

That's strange about the DME route. When we went, we stopped at OKW and SSR before POR. I don't remember now if we went to POFQ, but certainly not the ones y'all went to.

If I had found a frog in my room..... I am terrified of frogs and lizards, even though I know that's not very rational. Thankfully, nothing (that I was aware of ) was hiding out in my room.

We were in AB25 during our stay, and we used the West depot exclusively. Never a long wait, and empty buses. I don't think they had even been to POFQ first. That was pretty early each morning, so maybe that made a difference.

Too bad about the cold water in the pool. I wonder if the heater was broken. I would have stuck my toe in and said, "No thanks!"

Glad you had fun at Bob's show. We ducked in for a few minutes, but we were pretty tired and didn't stay long. And my "kids" were 18 and 21 at the time and didn't get into it as much as the younger kids were. But most everyone seemed to be having a ball!

I'm looking forward to seeing your pics!
Yes, you should definitely give CBR a try next time! When exactly will that be anyway??? Maybe next November???

The ME bus stopping at OKW & SSR would have made much more sense. They are all within about a mile or so of each other. I still have no idea why POR was on that bus!

Thanks for the tip about Piano Bob before we left. Otherwise we probably wouldn't have stopped, since it was in a lounge I wouldn't have expected it to be something for kids. But there were a ton of kids in there enjoying the show very much!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil'Mermaid75 View Post
DS would've been in heaven had we found a frog in our room! We have a little itty bitty frog as a pet (seriously...this thing is no bigger around than a quarter! ) He plays with that darn thing all the time! It's been in all his cars, Kinex merry go round...you name it! I'm with you, though, my initial shock would've been to scream and make DH investigate!!!
Yes, the kids were thrilled to see a frog in the room and wanted to know if we could keep it.
Old 11-17-2009, 12:54 PM   #23
Momof2Disneyboys
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickey916 View Post
Thanks for the review! Just curious - what puts CSR in last place? We have gone twice and stayed at CBR both times. We decided to try something new and we're staying at CSR this time. Will we be disappointed?
Several things put CSR in last place for us. We were very disappointed in our stay there, but that doesn't mean you will be. It is very beautiful and spacious, much like CBR. But the feel is much different. It's more of an adult/convention atmosphere. And while the conventioneers didn't bother us, we just didn't feel the resort was very family friendly. But others will disagree. The things that stick out in my mind as to why we will not stay at CSR again are - poor housekeeping and "stuff" under the bed the whole time (and that was when we had housekeeping come in everyday), the food court - Pepper Market - not Disney owned, rude employees, terrible service, inconvenient set-up, and most of all just the lack of friendliness & helpfulness from all the CM's.
Old 11-17-2009, 01:02 PM   #24
mickey916
Mouseketeer

Thanks for the feedback. I was wondering if Pepper Market was part of the issue. We're not planning on eating there at all. We tend to be park commandos and spend very little time at the resort. My kids want to try it for the pool, which again, we may be lucky to get to once or twice, since we're hardly ever at the resort. Hopefully the CMs will be okay.
May 2006 - CBR
Apr. 16-25, 2010 - CSR
mickey916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 01:04 PM   #25
Momof2Disneyboys
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickey916 View Post
Thanks for the feedback. I was wondering if Pepper Market was part of the issue. We're not planning on eating there at all. We tend to be park commandos and spend very little time at the resort. My kids want to try it for the pool, which again, we may be lucky to get to once or twice, since we're hardly ever at the resort. Hopefully the CMs will be okay.
The pool is a lot of fun! But yes, I would avoid PM if you can. Hopefully you will have better luck with the CM's than we did! Have a great trip!
Old 11-17-2009, 01:07 PM   #26
Momof2Disneyboys
DIS Veteran

Okay, I am headed off to DS8's parent-teacher conference (we missed conference week last week), but hopefully I will be able to get some POR pictures up for you guys when I get back!
Old 11-17-2009, 01:08 PM   #27
Northern Disney Girl
DIS Veteran

Thanks for the great review Shelly! We are staying at POFQ for the first time in January and plan to take a walk over to POR to explore a bit! Can't wait to see some of your pictures!
Old 11-17-2009, 01:12 PM   #28
Flexan
The Dad who loves to show his kids how to have a good time!

Yehaa Bob aka Bob Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessBetsy View Post
Bob is in the River Roost Lounge at POR among other places he plays. Check him out at www.yehaabob.com.
Old 11-17-2009, 01:26 PM   #29
texasteacher35
DIS Veteran

[QUOTE=Momof2Disneyboys;34367073]Don't be nervous, CBR is great! Very lush and beautiful. When we stayed there in January the buses were excellent, the best we have ever seen. Most waits were under 5 minutes! If you happen to get on the bus at the first stop at CBR it takes about 8 minutes to make all the other stops and then once you leave the resort it is 3 minutes to DHS, 5 to Epcot, 9 to DTD, and 11 to MK & AK.

Have a great time!

Thanks! That makes me feel a lot better! We are all very excited and ready to get to Disney!Thanks so much for the great info!!! Those are really good bus times! Now, I am so ready to get on that plane today! It's hard to wait this last week! UGH

DL GCV 4/2013...WLV 6/2013...SSR 7/2013
JANUARY 2012- BCV, DECEMBER 2012- SSR, AUGUST 2012- BWV, JUNE 2012-Our 1st Star Wars Weekend- BLT, 3/2012- BLT, 1/2012- BCV, 11/2011- WBC, MAY 2011/ CBR Pirate Room, 11/2010- CR Tower, 7/2010- YACHT CLUB, 11/2009- CBR Pirate Room, 10/2001- GF
texasteacher35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 01:53 PM   #30
Zippa D Doodah
Suffering from Fairy Alienation. Is there a program for that?
I'm such a shameless taghound!
I am an unabashed Q-tipper !

OP, very nice review of POR. We've stayed at all the mods now, and our rankings break down about like yours. I rank CBR #1 but DW ranks POR #1... ehhh, it's all a matter of what theming strikes your fancy.

A frog in your room, huh? You really have to hand it to Disney for incredible marketing surrounding this new movie.
Zippa D Doodah is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: