Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-01-2010, 06:30 PM   #151
Momof2Disneyboys
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by momof3lovebugs View Post
Shelly~thanks so much for your reply! I am enjoying your tr thread too!! I swear between planning and reading op's tr/pic threads etc...I am on the computer all day!!

You're welcome!

I know, the DIS is addicting!
Momof2Disneyboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 02:40 PM   #152
VroomVroomLightning
DIS Veteran

We plan on staying at POR in September and I love all of your pictures! In your opinion what would be the best building to request so that we are closest to the main building and bus stop? Do you know if they have any king beds in the AB sections? Thank you for any insight you can give!!
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-03-2010, 03:03 PM   #153
Momof2Disneyboys
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by VroomVroomLightning View Post
We plan on staying at POR in September and I love all of your pictures! In your opinion what would be the best building to request so that we are closest to the main building and bus stop? Do you know if they have any king beds in the AB sections? Thank you for any insight you can give!!
Congrats on staying at POR in September!

The closet buildings to main building are AB 14 & 18. And I hear those are the most highly requested. So we requested to be in any of the following -- 14, 18, 26, or 27. And we were given 27. It was a great location. Definitely a less than 5 minute walk to the main building, the pool, and a bus stop.

I'm not sure about the king beds, but I think most (if not all) of the resorts have them in all of their sections. But then maybe the AB section is different because of it having the trundle beds. . . You might want to ask on the POR FAQ.

Hope that helps!
Old 02-16-2010, 10:54 AM   #154
crazycatlady
DIS Veteran

This was a great review! I am trying to talk DH into staying on-site this year if they offer free dining again and so I am checking into all of the moderates, just in case. We stayed one night at CS about 8 yrs. ago and liked the pool a lot but I have heard a lot of negatives about that resort so am leaning towards either POR or CBR. We are driving to DW so the buses are not a factor, but is the parking situation at either resort better or worse than the other? How far away would you have parked from your room if you had driven? Was that a preferred view that you had? My kids will be 14 and 15 for this trip. Which is resort better for teens in your opinion? Is the water slide good for adults or mostly kiddies? (not that I am going down a slide or anything but DS is about 5'8" and will only be taller in 8 mos.) Could the trundle accommodate DD14 who is about 5'3" and 100 lbs.?

Thanks for any help you can give me and I will be looking for your trip report and pictures for CBR.

November, 2013-Wilderness Lodge
October, 2012- POP Century
October, 2011- POP Century
October, 2010- POP Century
October, 2009- Off-site Marriott Cypress Harbour
October, 2003- Off-site Marriott Grande Vista
February, 2001-Off-site Marriott Royal Palms
October, 1999- Off-site Marriott Cypress Harbour
crazycatlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 11:07 AM   #155
Momof2Disneyboys
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazycatlady View Post
This was a great review! I am trying to talk DH into staying on-site this year if they offer free dining again and so I am checking into all of the moderates, just in case. We stayed one night at CS about 8 yrs. ago and liked the pool a lot but I have heard a lot of negatives about that resort so am leaning towards either POR or CBR. We are driving to DW so the buses are not a factor, but is the parking situation at either resort better or worse than the other? How far away would you have parked from your room if you had driven? Was that a preferred view that you had? My kids will be 14 and 15 for this trip. Which is resort better for teens in your opinion? Is the water slide good for adults or mostly kiddies? (not that I am going down a slide or anything but DS is about 5'8" and will only be taller in 8 mos.) Could the trundle accommodate DD14 who is about 5'3" and 100 lbs.?

Thanks for any help you can give me and I will be looking for your trip report and pictures for CBR.
Hi there Glad you enjoyed the review!

CBR and POR are our favorites, so you've narrowed it down to 2 great choices! You really can't go wrong with either. We would definitely recommend both, but I will try to answer your questions and help you out the best I can.

No, our room at POR was a standard room. POR doesn't offer preferred rooms. Only CBR does. Preferred will get you right next to the main building at CBR. Both offer a water view option. Preferred at CBR and waterview at either will cost you extra per night. $25 I think. We never pay for either.

As for parking, I think they both have rooms close to parking. You can take a look at the maps and see what you think. I would say that CBR has more buildings closer to parking. You can always make that a request when you book -- to be close to the parking lot.

POR map http://www.wdwinfo.com/resortmaps/port-riverside.htm

CBR map http://www.wdwinfo.com/resortmaps/cbrmap.htm

Hard to say which resort is better for teens. My oldest is almost 11. He goes back and forth on his favorite between these 2 resorts. He really likes POR for Piano Bob. He had a blast there! But lately he keeps asking to go back to CBR - "because they have the best pool". So it's a toss up. CBR's rooms are Disney themed, so I guess it depends on your kids. Some teenagers might think they are "too cool" for that. Mine never will!! Both resorts are very spacious and beautiful and have lots to do. And both have great food options -- probably a good thing with teenagers!

The trundle bed. . . hmm. . . 5'3" might be okay. I'd say it would be right on the border. Probably wouldn't work if she got much bigger between now and then. You can always do what we do and take a twin sized air mattress with you!

Hope that helps!
Old 02-16-2010, 11:35 AM   #156
crazycatlady
DIS Veteran

Thank you so much for answering my questions. I really liked the view from your room. I don't need a GREAT view, just would prefer not to look at a parking lot. I don't really want to pay for a view, either.

The same goes for a walk to the parking lot. I don't need to be super close (especially since I don't want one for a view), I just don't want to walk 10 or 15 minutes with all of our luggage.

Both resorts look really nice and I'm sure we would be happy with either. Thanks again for all of your help!

November, 2013-Wilderness Lodge
October, 2012- POP Century
October, 2011- POP Century
October, 2010- POP Century
October, 2009- Off-site Marriott Cypress Harbour
October, 2003- Off-site Marriott Grande Vista
February, 2001-Off-site Marriott Royal Palms
October, 1999- Off-site Marriott Cypress Harbour
crazycatlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 12:05 PM   #157
Momof2Disneyboys
DIS Veteran

You're welcome!
Old 02-28-2010, 02:49 PM   #158
Kelsey In Wonderland
It would be so nice if something made sense for a change.

This may seem like an odd question, but I noticed that in one of your photos there was a microwave available for use in the food court.. does anyone happen to know if the microwave is available for use 24/7 or only during the operating hours of the food court?
Old 02-28-2010, 02:56 PM   #159
Momof2Disneyboys
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelsey In Wonderland View Post
This may seem like an odd question, but I noticed that in one of your photos there was a microwave available for use in the food court.. does anyone happen to know if the microwave is available for use 24/7 or only during the operating hours of the food court?
Hmm. . . I really don't know. I think the foodcourt is open from 6am to midnight. I don't know if they lock the doors between midnight and 6am or not (I wouldn't think so) . . . You could ask on the POR FAQ, someone might know there.
Old 04-21-2010, 10:48 PM   #160
1Prince3Princesses
Mouseketeer

Hi! I read this to see what other people thought of POR since that is our favorite resort. We stay there 2-3 times a year and usually it is always in the AB. My kids LOVE it. I had to make a comment on the Frog since we stay there all the time and have encountered MANY frogs and other critters there. My kids actually LOOK for the frogs every night. You will almost always see them on the wall up high right next to the lights outside your room doors. Here is the reason, when it gets dark, those lights come on and attract the bugs. The frogs sit next to the lights and feast on those bugs. My kids look for them every night when heading back to the room. It is very cute outside, but I would not like to find one in my room either. I travel there alot without my husband since he does not love Disney as much as the rest of us do. He joined us about 2 years ago and the kids were showing him the frogs and telling him to look for them. Up until that point, I never gave it much thought, then he explained to the kids the whole light and bug thing. So, since he decided to join us on that trip, I realized why there are so many frogs there.
1Prince3Princesses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 02:51 PM   #161
Momof2Disneyboys
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Prince3Princesses View Post
Hi! I read this to see what other people thought of POR since that is our favorite resort. We stay there 2-3 times a year and usually it is always in the AB. My kids LOVE it. I had to make a comment on the Frog since we stay there all the time and have encountered MANY frogs and other critters there. My kids actually LOOK for the frogs every night. You will almost always see them on the wall up high right next to the lights outside your room doors. Here is the reason, when it gets dark, those lights come on and attract the bugs. The frogs sit next to the lights and feast on those bugs. My kids look for them every night when heading back to the room. It is very cute outside, but I would not like to find one in my room either. I travel there alot without my husband since he does not love Disney as much as the rest of us do. He joined us about 2 years ago and the kids were showing him the frogs and telling him to look for them. Up until that point, I never gave it much thought, then he explained to the kids the whole light and bug thing. So, since he decided to join us on that trip, I realized why there are so many frogs there.

Yes, I think those little frogs are cute too -- outside!! In my room, not so much!

Glad you have enjoyed POR too.
Old 05-11-2010, 12:52 PM   #162
momdisfan
Earning My Ears

This was a great review - well done! It makes me really look forward to our first stay at POR, and I do not think it will be our last.
momdisfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 02:47 PM   #163
Disney grandma
DIS Veteran

Regarding the frog, and saying that you could have moved to the Mansions section, does this section have interior corridors and entrances? That is my only drawback to staying anywhere that doesn't have interior entrances, fear of what might come in the room I didn't read through the whole thread yet so hope this hasn't been asked and I missed it.
Disney grandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 03:03 PM   #164
Momof2Disneyboys
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by momdisfan View Post
This was a great review - well done! It makes me really look forward to our first stay at POR, and I do not think it will be our last.
Thanks! Glad you enjoyed it. Have a great trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disney grandma View Post
Regarding the frog, and saying that you could have moved to the Mansions section, does this section have interior corridors and entrances? That is my only drawback to staying anywhere that doesn't have interior entrances, fear of what might come in the room I didn't read through the whole thread yet so hope this hasn't been asked and I missed it.
No, all the doors at POR open to the outside. The Mansion section is just more open and has less trees. Therefore, less chance of tree frogs I guess.
Old 05-11-2010, 03:20 PM   #165
heatherwillmom
DIS Veteran

We have stayed at several of the different resorts over the years. We really loved POR. i think it was our favorite moderate resort, mostly because we though it was so beautiful. We liked CBR too but all of the "islands" look alike at night so it was hard to wander over to the food court at night for drinks & snacks & still find our way back easily.
heatherwillmom is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: