Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-23-2010, 12:48 PM   #136
Momof2Disneyboys
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmears View Post
Thanks for taking the time to post such a detailed review of POR! I really appreciate it! Glad you liked it more that you thought you would!
Thanks for reading!
Momof2Disneyboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 12:57 PM   #137
npmommie
Channels George Michael in her car...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momof2Disneyboys View Post
Okay, you asked for it ~ Here he is!

Love your review and pics, the resort does look beautiful, but that frog...........he would have scared me LOL and I am sure my kids would have tried to catch him and keep him. blech!
npmommie is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-23-2010, 01:03 PM   #138
Momof2Disneyboys
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by npmommie View Post
Love your review and pics, the resort does look beautiful, but that frog...........he would have scared me LOL and I am sure my kids would have tried to catch him and keep him. blech!
Thank you!

Yes, mr. frog prince was quite a shocker!!
Old 01-23-2010, 01:53 PM   #139
mmmears
DIS Veteran

If we ever found a frog like that in our room, it would probably be one of the highlights of DD's trip to WDW! It really is cute, but I prefer them outside where they belong!

* Disneyland * Walt Disney World * Disneyland Paris ** Disney Wonder Bahamas * Disney Wonder Alaska *
*Grand Floridian Resort* Animal Kingdom Lodge * Polynesian Resort * Yacht Club * Beach Club * Disneyland Hotel * Grand Californian Resort *
mmmears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 01:54 PM   #140
Momof2Disneyboys
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmears View Post
If we ever found a frog like that in our room, it would probably be one of the highlights of DD's trip to WDW! It really is cute, but I prefer them outside where they belong!
That's how I felt -- he was sort of cute, but he would have been much cuter OUTSIDE!!

The kids thought it was the best thing ever!
Old 01-23-2010, 02:08 PM   #141
andrewilley
Port Orleans Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by pggirl View Post
i am hoping the pool not being heated was just a fluke, otherwise i don't think my ds 5 will brave it. we are not used to COLD waters!
All Disney hotel pools are heated to 82 degrees. Or at least they are meant to be, anyway.

Andre

For more info on the Port Orleans resorts, please visit www.portorleans.org
Now including a Trip Report forum - any comments on your POR/POFQ stays are welcome

Days Inn Lakeside: Apr/May 89 Disney's Wilderness Lodge: Feb 99Disney's Beach Club: Sep 07, Sep 09
Disney's Dixie Landings: Jul/Aug 95, Oct 96, Sep/Oct 97, Feb 99
Disney's Port Orleans Riverside: Sep/Oct 02, Jun 04, May/Jun 05, May 06, Oct 07, Aug 08, Aug 09, Feb 10, Halloween 10, Aug 11, Aug 12, Feb 13, Aug 13... and coming next, Aug 14
andrewilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 05:31 PM   #142
disnut1149
DIS Veteran

Hi
Thanks for a great review and pictures! We're thinking of staying here in Oct. I was there when it was Dixie Landings a long time ago and really liked it then. I think my DGD (7) will love the slide. She would love to find a frog in our room!! Your boys are really cute!! It looks like you really had a great time.
1972 Offsite, 1978 Offsite, 1980 Dutch Inn, 1989 Comfort Inn, 1990 CBR, 1993 Peabody, 1996 AllStar Sports, 1997 Dixie Landings, 2000 Holiday Inn Family Suites, 2001 Marriott World Center, 2004 Pop Century, 2005 Pop Century, 2006 Pop Century Aug & Dec, 2007 Pop Century Aug & CSR Dec., 2008 WL & POFQ Aug. & AS Sports Dec., 2009 Pop Aug., Pop Oct & CBR Dec., 2010 POR Sept & CBR Oct., 2011 CSR May & Pop & Akl
Nov., 2014 CSR Sept., 2015 AS Sports Aug.
disnut1149 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 07:58 PM   #143
RedPanda
Mouseketeer

Thanks for the review and pictures! We're staying at POR for part of our trip in March/April (it'll be the second half of our split stay, with the Doubletree at DTD the first half). It really looks like a beautiful resort -- I'm excited!

RedPanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 11:12 AM   #144
wdwdasiy
Mouseketeer

LOVE LOVE LOVE seeing all your pictures! PORS is our favorite and now the only place DH will stay. It sure feels like home when we are there. We have stayed in AB our last three trips and love that area. I'm planning our May/June trip now. Can't wait to get there!

Thank you so much for sharing
March 2002 ASM, Dec 2003 CBR (DD with just GPs),
April 2005 PORS, June 2006 PORS, June 2007 PORS
June 2008 PORS, May/June 2010 PORS
wdwdasiy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 11:22 AM   #145
Momof2Disneyboys
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by disnut1149 View Post
Hi
Thanks for a great review and pictures! We're thinking of staying here in Oct. I was there when it was Dixie Landings a long time ago and really liked it then. I think my DGD (7) will love the slide. She would love to find a frog in our room!! Your boys are really cute!! It looks like you really had a great time.
You're welcome, thanks for reading!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedPanda View Post
Thanks for the review and pictures! We're staying at POR for part of our trip in March/April (it'll be the second half of our split stay, with the Doubletree at DTD the first half). It really looks like a beautiful resort -- I'm excited!
You are welcome! Have a great trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdwdasiy View Post
LOVE LOVE LOVE seeing all your pictures! PORS is our favorite and now the only place DH will stay. It sure feels like home when we are there. We have stayed in AB our last three trips and love that area. I'm planning our May/June trip now. Can't wait to get there!

Thank you so much for sharing
Thank you, I'm so glad you enjoyed the review and pics!
Old 01-30-2010, 01:45 PM   #146
Csaks
DIS Veteran

I hate you, I hate you, I hate you!

A well written review of POR. We love Muddy Rivers, the Fishin' hole and Old-fashioned horse & carriage ride. The boat ride downtown doesn't seem as hectic as the bus ride. Heck the whole resort seems laid back and that is nice after a full day of Disney.

We are going back to POR in the last week of Oct, first week of Nov. this year.I love this place and reading seeing your pictures makes me what to be there now but now I'm starting to think about CBR because you think so highly of it. Na, maybe next trip.

We tried CSR last trip and were so disappointed with it, so we are scared to try something else. It was missing something, neither of us can put a finger on it. Nothing wrong with it, just something missing.

Thank you for taking the time to post this.

Chris & Amy.
Csaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 06:07 PM   #147
Momof2Disneyboys
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Csaks View Post
I hate you, I hate you, I hate you!

A well written review of POR. We love Muddy Rivers, the Fishin' hole and Old-fashioned horse & carriage ride. The boat ride downtown doesn't seem as hectic as the bus ride. Heck the whole resort seems laid back and that is nice after a full day of Disney.

We are going back to POR in the last week of Oct, first week of Nov. this year.I love this place and reading seeing your pictures makes me what to be there now but now I'm starting to think about CBR because you think so highly of it. Na, maybe next trip.

We tried CSR last trip and were so disappointed with it, so we are scared to try something else. It was missing something, neither of us can put a finger on it. Nothing wrong with it, just something missing.

Thank you for taking the time to post this.

Well, thank you. I think.

So glad you liked the review.

You should definitely give CBR a try sometime! But not until after you go back to your favorite POR first!

We had the same feelings about CSR. Very disappointed and we were afraid to try something new after that. That's why we went back to CBR before trying POR. Luckily we were very happy with POR!
Old 02-01-2010, 12:07 PM   #148
momof3lovebugs
Mouseketeer

Shelley (I think, right? ) thank you so much for this review! I am planning our family's first trip for October and loved your details!
Our family is me, dh (6ft), dd9 and ds7. I noticed you brought an air mattress and used a trundle! I am scared to try any of the mods except CSR b/c of the bed situation. Dh and I sleep in a king and we have frequent 'nightime' visitors, if you catch my drift. Our ds is a VERY restless sleeper and I frequently get a smack in the face, back, etc from him so I am not looking fwd to being squished into a little bed. Double went out when we got married!!
So my question is did you use both beds and the mattress and trundle? You are obviously a petite little thing and maybe smaller beds are okay for you and dh? I am not a giant (5'4") however, I am not quite as, shall we say 'svelte' as you are!
Dh suggested we get a trundle and switch off one w/kid, one w/o, and a kid on trundle.....I told him it would be nice if we could actually sleep together on the trip!
The lanscaping here is making me rethink my strategy.....the Dolphin is in the running but so is CSR and WL if a discount comes out.....hadn't considered any other mods b/c of the beds.....
oh yes, do they charge for a trundle?

And the pool situation....hm, what was the average temp outside? We have found when it is blazing hot, it seems nicer to swim in an 82' pool, however, when it is more like 70-80 outside, not so much. Lots of the hotels and rv parks we have stayed in have their pools heated to about 82-85. Personally I prefer about 88!!!
What made you decide to switch over to okw instead of stay the whole time at por? Just curious....
thanks again for all your wonderful pics and details!! It has been helpful (and not so much! ) to consider more options!
Heather
March 2011 CBR!
On deck......Wine and Dine Half trip Nov. 3-13
!!

momof3lovebugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 12:44 PM   #149
Momof2Disneyboys
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by momof3lovebugs View Post
Shelley (I think, right? ) thank you so much for this review! I am planning our family's first trip for October and loved your details!
Our family is me, dh (6ft), dd9 and ds7. I noticed you brought an air mattress and used a trundle! I am scared to try any of the mods except CSR b/c of the bed situation. Dh and I sleep in a king and we have frequent 'nightime' visitors, if you catch my drift. Our ds is a VERY restless sleeper and I frequently get a smack in the face, back, etc from him so I am not looking fwd to being squished into a little bed. Double went out when we got married!!
So my question is did you use both beds and the mattress and trundle? You are obviously a petite little thing and maybe smaller beds are okay for you and dh? I am not a giant (5'4") however, I am not quite as, shall we say 'svelte' as you are!
Dh suggested we get a trundle and switch off one w/kid, one w/o, and a kid on trundle.....I told him it would be nice if we could actually sleep together on the trip!
The lanscaping here is making me rethink my strategy.....the Dolphin is in the running but so is CSR and WL if a discount comes out.....hadn't considered any other mods b/c of the beds.....
oh yes, do they charge for a trundle?

And the pool situation....hm, what was the average temp outside? We have found when it is blazing hot, it seems nicer to swim in an 82' pool, however, when it is more like 70-80 outside, not so much. Lots of the hotels and rv parks we have stayed in have their pools heated to about 82-85. Personally I prefer about 88!!!
What made you decide to switch over to okw instead of stay the whole time at por? Just curious....
thanks again for all your wonderful pics and details!! It has been helpful (and not so much! ) to consider more options!
Heather
Yep, it's Shelly!

Congrats on your first trip! I'm so glad you enjoyed the review.

As for sleeping arrangements while on vacation -- we get creative! When we have stayed at the other mods we take the air mattress and the kids rotate using it. One uses it and the other will use a sleeping bag, then switch the next night. It's like a little treat to them on vacation - yes, it takes very little to amuse my children! So yes, DH and I each have our own bed! We have a queen bed at home, and find no real difference in it and the doubles at the moderates. I measured the difference between the double at POR and the queen at OKW, and came up with about a 5 inch difference in the width. I didn't measure the length because we are not tall people. So maybe there's a difference there too. The reason for our own beds -- well the kids love to sleep on the air mattress and in a sleeping bag, so it just works out that we have that option. DH also snores. I deal with this at home every night. It's nothing terrible. But I do like my sleep on vacation! Gotta be well rested to navigate those parks!!

There is no extra charge for the trundle of POR, but you will need to request a room in the AB section. The Mansions do not have them. And there is no guarantee that you will get an AB room, they give them to families of 5 first. But your chances are probably pretty good.

Out of the 4 you are contemplating, I would go with POR or the Dolphin.

The reason we decided to switch over to OKW the last few nights was simply because we like trying new resorts and because we had a 40% off room discount!

Good luck to you. Please let me know if I can be anymore help to you!
Old 02-01-2010, 03:05 PM   #150
momof3lovebugs
Mouseketeer

Shelly~thanks so much for your reply! I am enjoying your tr thread too!! I swear between planning and reading op's tr/pic threads etc...I am on the computer all day!!
March 2011 CBR!
On deck......Wine and Dine Half trip Nov. 3-13
!!

momof3lovebugs is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: