Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-16-2009, 06:17 PM   #1
coltink
2 Mouseketeers

Tell me about shipping stuff to your resort

We're going in January and we will not have a car, so we would like to ship a few things down to the hotel for us to have.
Does it cost (other than the shipping costs)?
When should I send it out? (we will arrive on 1/10)?
How many packages am I allowed to send?
Has anyone ever lost a package?
Has anyone ever had their packages opened or damaged?
Anything else I need to know about it?
coltink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 06:32 PM   #2
Dee77
DIS Veteran

At the end of this week, I will be shipping a package down to our resort for our stay right after Thanksgiving. I plan on using the priority shipping by the post office that is defined by the size of the box sent not weight (although I think it does have a max weight of 70lbs or so) I have read a lot of threads about this and no one ever mentioned a storage fee or additional cost being charged by Disney so I am asuming it is only the shipping cost. I also haven't seen any messages about lost packages but you never know.

It was recommended by a moderator that I clearly mark the package with my name, arrival date and reservation number for the staff at Old Key West.

Hope this helps!
Dee77 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-16-2009, 10:07 PM   #3
closetmickey
DIS Veteran

I recently asked a similar question and most posters advised me against using USPS. They recommended UPS instead.
closetmickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 10:18 PM   #4
drquest
~~~/\~~~\o/~~~/\~~~Shark!

UPS would be a good idea due to being able to track it etc...

We are planning on shipping a package down ourselves next week. Is it best to call the resort to confirm the address to send it to?
drquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 06:33 AM   #5
Missytara
I'm all ears!

Disney has the addresses for each resort right on their website; will save you a call.

Me and the three cats - Momma Abby and the Kids, Gracie, Jack, and R.I.P. my little Desi (10/14/11) - Momma and the kids miss you and so do I.
Missytara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 07:29 AM   #6
jnfr2424
I'm Tink I got my Peter Pan and together we love to fly away to Neverland!

I once had a package delivered to CSR and it was held in the convention center package center and I had to pay a $10 holding fee. I've never had to pay a fee anywhere else. I also use UPS so I can track and confirm the delivery of my package. I like when the package is there a day before my arrival and with UPS you can figure out your delivery date As PP make sure the label has your arrival date as well as your reservation number.

jnfr2424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 07:48 AM   #7
DonnaL
DIS Veteran

I ship a box for every trip.......we're usually there two or three times a year.
I always use either UPS or FedEx......depends which shipping facility I'm going to be near on the day I ship. FedEx is usually a little less.....maybe $1 or $2.
Both have a time/cost calculator on their website. You will be charged a fee if you are staying at a convention hotel or DVC attached to one of the convention hotels (Contemp, GF, YC/BC, BW, and CSR) because all packages go thru the package room at the facility. As far as I'm aware, the other hotels/DVC's don't charge a fee......yet anyway. We stayed at BWV in Sept. 2008 and BCV May 2009 and were charged the fee.....stayed at SSR Jan. 2009 and no fee charged. I usually time the shipment so that it will arrive no sooner than two days before we do.......less chance for it to get misplaced. I address to myself/guest check-in (with check-in date clearly visible on first line)followed by the resort name, street address (should be on your confirmation), city, and zip. Others have said they put their reservation number, however, I never have. Usually, when I check in the desk will tell me I have a package delivery waiting for me and I then ask to have it delivered to my room. Sometimes, however, it is not noted on my ressie and I need to ask about it.
DonnaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 10:16 AM   #8
texasteacher35
DIS Veteran

We did this, too! Ship your box UPS and put Your name, arrival date, and the name and mailing address of the resort you are staying at on the package. They will hold it for you at the resort until you arrive. You can either request at the front desk upon check-in (although it will take them a few minutes to find it) or call bell services and they will deliver it to your room! Hope that helps! Worked great for us last time!

DL GCV 4/2013...WLV 6/2013...SSR 7/2013
JANUARY 2012- BCV, DECEMBER 2012- SSR, AUGUST 2012- BWV, JUNE 2012-Our 1st Star Wars Weekend- BLT, 3/2012- BLT, 1/2012- BCV, 11/2011- WBC, MAY 2011/ CBR Pirate Room, 11/2010- CR Tower, 7/2010- YACHT CLUB, 11/2009- CBR Pirate Room, 10/2001- GF
texasteacher35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 10:18 AM   #9
texasteacher35
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonnaL View Post
I ship a box for every trip.......we're usually there two or three times a year.
I always use either UPS or FedEx......depends which shipping facility I'm going to be near on the day I ship. FedEx is usually a little less.....maybe $1 or $2.
Both have a time/cost calculator on their website. You will be charged a fee if you are staying at a convention hotel or DVC attached to one of the convention hotels (Contemp, GF, YC/BC, BW, and CSR) because all packages go thru the package room at the facility. As far as I'm aware, the other hotels/DVC's don't charge a fee......yet anyway. We stayed at BWV in Sept. 2008 and BCV May 2009 and were charged the fee.....stayed at SSR Jan. 2009 and no fee charged. I usually time the shipment so that it will arrive no sooner than two days before we do.......less chance for it to get misplaced. I address to myself/guest check-in (with check-in date clearly visible on first line)followed by the resort name, street address (should be on your confirmation), city, and zip. Others have said they put their reservation number, however, I never have. Usually, when I check in the desk will tell me I have a package delivery waiting for me and I then ask to have it delivered to my room. Sometimes, however, it is not noted on my ressie and I need to ask about it.
Great info!!!!! I heard that it might be better to NOT put the ressie number on the package for security reasons! I have rad that on several threads here on the DIS...what do you think about it? Is it a security risk?? I guess it is better not to have too much personal info on the box...who knows!

DL GCV 4/2013...WLV 6/2013...SSR 7/2013
JANUARY 2012- BCV, DECEMBER 2012- SSR, AUGUST 2012- BWV, JUNE 2012-Our 1st Star Wars Weekend- BLT, 3/2012- BLT, 1/2012- BCV, 11/2011- WBC, MAY 2011/ CBR Pirate Room, 11/2010- CR Tower, 7/2010- YACHT CLUB, 11/2009- CBR Pirate Room, 10/2001- GF
texasteacher35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 02:41 PM   #10
coltink
2 Mouseketeers

Thanks to all who have posted!

We will be staying at BWV so I am assuming I will be paying a fee. Any idea on how much the fee was/is?

I'll definately check out the shipping charts to see who will be the easiest cheapest place to ship through.

Anyone ever used Turner Drugs to deliver water and soda to the resort?
coltink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 09:14 PM   #11
SyracuseWolvrine
Hockey Fanatic
Is he a bigger hockey fan than a Canadian?

Don't go overboard. 1 box, maybe 2 is fine. I've heard stories of guests that have shipped over 50 boxes (yes, you read that right) to their resort. That seems, to me, a bit excessive.
The opinions and comments in the above post do not necessarily reflect the views, opinions, policies or procedures of the Walt Disney Company or any of its subsidiaries or affiliates, including but not limited to the Walt Disney World Resort and all areas contained therein. Any information or advice in the above post is subject to change at any time without notice. Tampering with, disabling, or destroying lavatory smoke detectors is prohibited. This post may contain nuts or be written by someone who is nuts. Void where prohibited. This post may not be reproduced without express written permission of the Commissioner of Baseball. The moving rubber line is moving at the same speed as you. Member FDIC.
SyracuseWolvrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 10:12 PM   #12
2kidletsmom
Earning My Ears

I called down to the Coronado where we will be staying-if you ship ups or fed-x and package is under 21 pounds there is a $5 fee-over 21 pounds-$10. However if you ship via usps there is no fee.
2kidletsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 10:27 PM   #13
bellefan12
Mouseketeer

We shipped a package to on our last trip. It arrived a day before we did. Worked out great because of our 2 year old who was in pull ups, laundry detergent (he is extra sensitive), etc.. I could ship those and non perishable snacks for room,etc. It was there on arrival. Bell service brought to our room right after we checked in. We are going back in three weeks and I will be shipping package again.

Idea for you: Pack a Sharpie in the box and extra blank labels in case you need to use the box to ship something back home to yourself. They do have a few Fed Ex sites on property too if you need to ship something back.

I use UPS and love the fact that I know when it arrives.

Trips to WDW
1991::My First Trip to the World Offsite
1999 Our WDW Honeymoon ASM
2000 Our WDW 1st anniversary/ My college graduation present-Port Orleans Riverside
Various other WDW trips 2001,2002, 2004 POR: 2003 Marriot World Center; 2005 Marriot Residence Inn near that other park; 2007 Dolphin; 2008 Hilton in DTD Area (DS's First Visit to WDW)
bellefan12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 10:50 PM   #14
Kate70410
Earning My Ears

For our trip two years ago, we had a lot of extra medical supplies that would have meant an extra full suitcase so we mailed a box down to ourselves at CSR using just regular mail with standard shipping charges costing under $10 at the time. I just made sure I clearly marked on each side of the box my name and what hotel it should go to. I also called down to the front desk at CSR two days after it was shipped to give them a heads up that it would be coming and much to my surprise, it was already there! We mailed it about a week out and it only took about a day and a half to get there. When we arrived at CSR later, it was there waiting for us at the front desk and we didn't have to pay anything extra at the time. Having that box there was nice because for the trip home, we had extra space to put stuff if something wouldn't fit into the suitcase, which you know always seems to happen! On our last full day of the trip we packed the box up and brought it down to the CSR convention center mailing center and mailed it back home, ripping off the original labels and taping over the original name and hotel info. The only odd thing was that it cost a little more to mail back home than it did to mail to Florida and the box was heavier on the trip up! It was only about a $3 difference and we just figured it was because we were mailing from a resort. The center was really helpful and there were actually a lot of people there doing the same thing we were at the time. It was also fun to have a box arrive from Disney a day or two after we got home with some souvenirs included from our trip. It just extended the magic for an extra couple of days. Good luck with mailing and have a wonderful trip!

Me DW DDog

Buena Vista Villas Feb 1989 with family
Comfort Inn April 1997 HS Senior Trip
CSR July 2007 Our Disney honeymoon!!
CSR February 2010 5th Anniversary trip

[img]http://www.********************/timers/tickers/3va2i5iy6jpg31v5.png[/img]
Kate70410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 06:34 AM   #15
gonesaleing
Mouseketeer

we do this too...

Our last trip 2 weeks ago, we shipped down a box of non-perishable foodstuffs weighing 48 lbs and it cost $20 via UPS. I had to pay $10 as a 'service fee' to retrieve it at the Contemporary. It was brought up to our room via bell services.

Something else to think about is to save the box and all the packing material. When it's time to leave and you have over shopped, repack the box and send it home. Both going and coming, allow for 3 days for delivery.

Without a doubt, this is the most valuable tip that I have learned from reading these boards.
gonesaleing is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: