Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants > Disney Dining Reviews
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-21-2009, 03:00 PM   #16
mickey916
Mouseketeer

Thanks for this report! We're going sans DDP for our next trip and I'm a little unsure if we'll regret that...but like you, I've got my reasons I don't think it works this time (I'm interested in hearing your ultimate conclusion however). Love the pictures of the skillet as well as the current pricing, very helpful as we're definitely doing WCC and planning on getting the skillet!
May 2006 - CBR
Apr. 16-25, 2010 - CSR
mickey916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 03:51 PM   #17
PrincessTrisha
I know what he won't do for love.
Tootsie Pottynose - Hey I kinda like the tootsie part

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickey916 View Post
Thanks for this report! We're going sans DDP for our next trip and I'm a little unsure if we'll regret that...but like you, I've got my reasons I don't think it works this time (I'm interested in hearing your ultimate conclusion however). Love the pictures of the skillet as well as the current pricing, very helpful as we're definitely doing WCC and planning on getting the skillet!
For me it was a tough call and really - it ended up coming down to the tickets. My Dad and I still have 2 days left on our tickets and my mom's got 3 and I've still got 1 more 1 day ticket. For my December trip I get another 1 day ticket and I only plan on hitting the parks for 1 or 2 days (cause of the TSM party at night and then I'm probably going to do the Xmas party so those are all special ticket events).

If I didn't need to buy tickets, the DDP would be a no brainer every trip (except where I was considering the DXDP).
PrincessTrisha is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-22-2009, 04:17 PM   #18
PrincessTrisha

Food and Wine Festival Part 1

After breakfast at the lounge we headed to Epcot and got there just after rope drop (about 9:15am). We were able to get everything done in Future World pretty quickly and at 11am were on our way to the World Showcase to start sampling at the Food and Wine Festival.

It was great to have a group of 4 adults because it meant we could sample more items.

First up was the Perogie and Kielbosa - it was tasty and a decent portion. My step grandfather was Polish so this stuff isn't exotic to us but we don't have it very often anymore so it was a nice treat.

From the same booth was the Braised Pork Shank with Cabbage. It wasn't very good - there was lots of cabbage and some potato but also a lot of water and grease. The pork was little tiny bits. It was disappointing.

From Spain we tried all 3 food samples - the snapper, the creme Catalana and the taste of Spain. All 3 were worthy of tasting. The snapper was very tender, and the meats, cheese and olives from Spain were quality pieces. The creme was like a brulee without the crusty topping and had a pleasant taste. They were out of the Tomato bread that come with the "Tasting" and I just got it without it - they were telling people 5 minutes before there was more bread but 15 minutes later I heard them tell someone that they were still waiting on the Tomato bread.

From Australia we tried both the Seared Barramundi and Grilled Lamb Chop. The lamb was okay but the fish was out of this world good.

It was a this point that we met this nice local Floridian couple sitting on a bench. This turned out to be very fortunate because we later had an issue with my mom in the bathroom trying to get her back into her wheelchair and these two wonderful people jumped in and helped us. They were truly our guardian angels that day.

My Dad is fussier than the rest of us so when I realized that Italy was coming up, I knew we needed a couple of samples from there so there was something he would really enjoy. We got an order of the meatballs and the canneloni. The little breadsticks in the meatballs were hard but everything else was good.

Next up was France - Escargot, chocolate creme brulee and the short ribs with mashed potatoes (which my Dad keeps referring to as the "meat pie"). All three were exceptional with the short ribs being my Dad's number 1 pick for the best of the festival.

To be continued.....
Old 11-22-2009, 04:36 PM   #19
Havana
DIS Veteran

Love your reviews so far! You made me decide to go to WC in December! We have been hearing such mixed reviews, it looks like you had a nice experience there. Your pictures are GREAT!

Havana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 02:33 PM   #20
PrincessTrisha

Food & Wine Part 2

Next up was New Zealand. We tried both the Seared Sea Scallop and the lamb Slider. The sea scallop was good - nicely cooked, firm yet soft. I enjoyed the lamb slider but the rest of the group found it too spicy to enjoy.

My favourite booth of the whole festival was Ireland. Everything here was a real winner. The Fisherman's pie was loaded with seafood covered with creamy mashed and lots of cheese. The cheese plate was quite large for the price and had 3 outstanding cheeses with some dark rye bread and chutney. It was a great snack plate. And last but not least - the Bailey's Lava Cake - OMG! They really need to start serving this somewhere. It was the most outstanding Lava cake I've ever had - rich, chocolately, gooey and the sauce - if I died in a vat of it, I'd have died happy.

We were so stuffed from our munching around the world that we didn't eat dinner - just snacked at the lounge. While I love the F&W Festival, I'm kind of glad it's not like that all the time. We spent just over $100 just tasting stuff (we did get 4 drinks - two non alcoholic and two alcoholic) but I wouldn't want to do that all the time. I was surprised at the end of the day when all I had left in my pocket from $120 was a few ones.

Old 11-29-2009, 02:50 PM   #21
PrincessTrisha

Contempo Cafe

The next day my Dad and Josee went to Discovery Cove so there food was covered. My mom and I just planned on hanging around the hotel or maybe taking the monorail to one of the other resorts.

After our little incident in Epcot though, my mom was a little stiff and sore so we decided to just hang out at the hotel. I grabbed breakfast for the two of us from the lounge. It was the same as the day before, bagels, fruit and a couple of pastries.

For lunch I went down to the Contempo Cafe and got two meals for us to share. I had a difficult time deciding because there were a number of tasty sounding entrees.

I finally settled on the Steakhouse Salad - marinated beef, mixed greens shaved red onions, goat cheese, and vine-ripe tomatoes with mustard dressing and the Smoked Turkey Sandwich - topped with Brie, apples, apple butter and arugala on Challah bread. The sandwich came with homemade potato chips.

If they weren't served on paper and plastic, I'd say these were table service quality.

The steak salad:

It was loaded with tender pieces of beef (well done but not tough or chewy), large blobs of feta cheese (it was real feta and very fresh - like the feta my Greek friend gets), fresh lettuce and veggies and it was a very large serving. It came with the dressing on it but the dressing was perfect - I often find that people are either heavy handed or light on the dressing but the person who prepared this had it just right.

I really enjoyed this and would order it again - but only if they were out of our other lunch item.....

The turkey sandwich

Side view:

Top view:

This is by far one of the top 3 sandwiches I have ever eaten (believe it or not 2 of my current top 3 sandwiches of all time were discovered on this trip). The turkey and apple and brie just kind of melted together (not literally - figuratively) to create one wonderful soft, crispy, melty taste sensation. The arugala and the apple butter added just the right contrast to the bulk of the sandwich. The bread was able to hold up and didn't break apart or go soggy. I also liked how it was just lightly toasted - the edges were crispy but it wasn't crummy (as in leaving behind a bunch of crumbs). The chips were handmade and salted - very tasty and a nice side dish (better than fries and I am generally hesitant about any form of pasta or veggie side salad because of vinegar content).

My mom and I shared both of these entrees and were stuffed to the gills. We had put half the sandwich in the fridge but about an hour later, we got it out and finished it off. It was too good to risk it going uneaten.

If we had been on the dining plan, there were lots of good looking desserts in the bakery case but instead I grabbed some cookies and rice krispie treats from the Club lounge for an afternoon treat.

I walked down to the restaurant with $20 (and my key to the world card just in case) and walked back to the room with a tray of food and pocket change.

Last edited by PrincessTrisha; 11-29-2009 at 02:57 PM.
Old 11-29-2009, 02:56 PM   #22
PrincessTrisha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Havana View Post
Love your reviews so far! You made me decide to go to WC in December! We have been hearing such mixed reviews, it looks like you had a nice experience there. Your pictures are GREAT!
I think if you know that it's not gourmet food - and with the skillet, you'll like some but maybe not all, WCC can be a very enjoyable experience. Hope you have a great trip in December.
Old 11-29-2009, 03:31 PM   #23
PrincessTrisha

Ohana

So our general experience the last couple of times at Ohana had been great food, lousy service. It held to that this time as well.

Our pager went off but there was some mix up and they sat someone else at our table. We waited and waited and waited again (standing near the podium because they took our pager) and then they couldn't find our ticket and finally they found our ticket and took up to a big round table that seats 7 or 8 people (we were 4) but that was okay.

We got two loaves of bread and our drinks:

This was the first night of Ohana serving the new lemonade (I think it's pomegrante?).

Then our server brought the salad. Normally they just put the bowl down but this guy went around and insisted on putting some on our plates.

Next he brought the sauces and the platter with the wings and wontons (they came together in one - I've never seen that before).

We've always enjoyed the wings but this was the first time with the wontons (before we had the old shrimp wontons which were little bundles and then the wonton chips the last two times). We enjoyed both of these which was a good thing since this was the last of the food we got for quite a while.

We waited and waited and waited. They brought the platter of the noodles and veggies to other tables but we never saw our server (nor did anyone else bring them to us). The table next to us was finishing up so they were done with the meat and the other tables around us were just seated so they weren't there yet so no one brought us any. When our server finally showed up, we asked for our noodles, veggies, and meats. He asked "Oh, more veggies and noodles" and it took me 5 tries to get through to him that no one had given us a first set!

After this though, things picked up and we got our sides and then all 4 meats came rapidly to the table. The pork, turkey and beef were all good and juicy. I hear the shrimp were good but my mom ended up with mine.

My mom only has the use of only one of her hands - the other one is folded against her body. I was trying to explain to the guy with the skewer to put her shrimp on my plate and he wouldn't - he just kept saying, when you want more, I can come back. I tried to tell him, her shrimp, for her, I'm peeling them, please put them on my plate and I'll peel them and put them on her plate. He wouldn't. Finally I said, "She can only use one of her hands - now I need to pick up her plate, slide her shrimp onto mine and peel them because she can't do it herself". He said, "oh, sorry then" and walked away. After peeling them (both hers and mine, I just ended up giving them all to her since the beef was a little pink and she likes hers fully cooked).

anyways - picks of the meal

The server also brought us all the yellow Lei's. I think he was trying to recover his tip (which he did) after getting off to such as weird and then slow start.

The meal was our most expensive of the week at around $130 (pre tip).
Old 11-30-2009, 12:47 PM   #25
PrincessTrisha

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickeyNicki View Post
That turkey sandwich looks fantastic! I wish we stopped over there for lunch one day on our last trip!

I have to tell ya, your CL offerings look much better than the ones we had at the Poly last week.
The turkey sandwich is well worth the trip to the contemporary.

Funny enough, your pictures have me wanting to try the Poly CL. At least the soda is in a fridge (it's on the counter at the CR) and a whole plate of pineapple is like a dream come true for me. The one thing I will say looked better at the CR was the morning fruit tray - from your pics of the Poly, it seemed it was the Disney traditional melon, melon, grape combo whereas the CR had actual sliced fruits and a better variety. The IPO at the CR was awful but the CM's in the lounge were great (ending up fixing what IPO messed up) and when the Espresso / Cappacino machine was still broken on our 2nd night, the CM asked my Dad how many Cappacinos we wanted (2) and went down to the coffee place in the lobby and got us two (no charge). Unfortunately, without the good coffee maker, it was nescafe for a few days in the morning at the lounge (bleech).
Old 11-30-2009, 10:07 PM   #26
CR Resort Fan 4 Life
DIS Veteran

Thanks for posting those pictures.
CR Resort Fan 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 02:33 PM   #27
msce2
DIS Veteran

I'm glad we weren't the only ones who had that experience at Ohana's. The only difference we had was we were seated at a table for 7, but we were a part of 9. I couldn't even push my chair up to the table.

It looks like your family had a great trip!

Me(31) DH(33) DS(11) DD(7) DS(4)

AKV - Jan 2011
BLT - June 2010
BCV - May 2009
BCV - May 2003
msce2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 10:58 PM   #28
klacey1
DIS Veteran

Subscribing! I really want to hear what you thought of the Wishes Dessert Party! I really hope this becomes a permanent thing adn they offer it on our next trip!
klacey1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 05:31 PM   #29
PrincessTrisha

Quote:
Originally Posted by CR Resort Fan 4 Life View Post
Thanks for posting those pictures.
You're welcome. Contempo Cafe is one of the hidden gems of counter service.

Quote:
Originally Posted by msce2 View Post
I'm glad we weren't the only ones who had that experience at Ohana's. The only difference we had was we were seated at a table for 7, but we were a part of 9. I couldn't even push my chair up to the table.

It looks like your family had a great trip!
Too bad about the too small table - us being at the super big table, we had tons of elbow room!

Quote:
Originally Posted by klacey1 View Post
Subscribing! I really want to hear what you thought of the Wishes Dessert Party! I really hope this becomes a permanent thing adn they offer it on our next trip!
Coming up shortly.
Old 12-04-2009, 05:43 PM   #30
PrincessTrisha

Tony's Town Square

During our Magic Kingdom day I booked lunch at Tony's Town Square to give us a break (after lunch Dad and Josee would stay in the park and I would take my mom back to the room for a rest).

My mom wasn't really hungry and Josee didn't think she could finish a whole meal so they decided to share a Chicken Parm and my Dad decided on the same thing. There was a pile of spagetti and a huge chicken breast, crispy breaded and then smothered with sauce and cheese. For $16.99 it was what I consider a good deal at Disney. It was a large portion of tasty food that was cooked properly.

My mom and Josee finished their shared lunch but I ended up taking some of my Dad's back with me to the hotel because it was too much for him to finish. The only downside was the bread that came with it - it was far too crispy and hard to be enjoyed.

Since we weren't on the DDP, I enjoyed a luxury I normally can't. I ordered two appetizers for my lunch.

First was the seasonal soup - this was a creamy pumpkin soup. It was very good - if you enjoy squash, you would enjoy this soup. It was served warm but not steaming hot. It was thick and creamy and very filling (even though it didn't look like a huge serving).

The second thing I ordered was the zuchini sticks. I was expecting what I've gotten in other restaurants - small chopped up pieces of breaded zuchini but these were so much better. They were a 1/4 of a zuchini cut lengthwise and then thickly breaded and fried. They were so good - crisp and thick and you could actually taste the vegetable inside. There were 4 on the plate - I had 2 and a half, my mom had half and my dad had half of one, and Josee had a half of one as well. Everyone was impressed. Even another server stopped by to exclaim "those are the biggest zuchini sticks I've ever seen!"

Everyone was very full after lunch so we didn't get any desserts. Of course everyone was aware that there would be a plethora of sweets available tonight as we were going to the dessert party.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: