Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-16-2010, 05:32 PM   #1
Hidden_Mickey
DIS Veteran

Facebook & kids???

DH and I don't do Facebook... We just aren't interested, like to maintain our privacy, and don't have the time. DD12 has opened an account without our permission (she did it with a friend's help at the friend's house). When I told her "we don't do that" and she wasn't allowed to have an account, she pitched a fit and said "everyone has one" blah blah blah and she is kept out of social circles at school (middle school). So, not having experience with Facebook ourselves, should DH and I be concerned or are we being overly protective? Do kids really have accounts at that age, or is DD exagerating? What the heck do they need it for? Are there parental controls? We have heard so much negative stuff, from kids using it to bully to creeps using it to stalk kids...

Any advice or suggestions you have would be appreciated... Thanks!
Old 02-16-2010, 05:37 PM   #2
Danauk
I would be sitting on the patio of the Fontana bar at the Bellagio hotel in Las Vegas watching the dancing fountains on a warm balmy night whilst sipping vintage Champagne

I teach 8-11 year olds, many of whom have facebook accounts with their parents permission. We remind them that facebooks terms state that you must be 13 to hold an account. However if their parents allow them to have an account underage to please make sure all their settings are set to friends only. This way any pictures, comments or likes posted by them can only be seen by people they have as friends. I have also made sure they are aware to only friend people they actually know in person.
Disneyland Paris: Aug 1998 (off site - honeymoon), Easter 2004 (Hotel New York), Feb 2005 (off site), April 2008 (Hotel New York), October 2008 (Disneyland Hotel), November 2008 (Hotel New York), August 2013, Halloween 2013, New Year 2013/4, August 2014, New Year 2014/15, Easter 2015 WDW: August 2003 (Beach Club Villas - 5th anniversary), Christmas/New Year 2005/6 (Beach Club Villas), August 2009 (Animal Kingdom Lodge savanna view - 11th anniversary) Disneyland: August 2008 (Grand Californian, theme park view - 10th anniversary)
Danauk is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-16-2010, 05:37 PM   #3
mjkacmom
DIS Veteran

Dd13 and ds11 have accounts, I am their friend, and I have their passwords. All of dd13's friends have an account, and lots of ds's have accounts. I could see your dd feeling out of the loop - maybe let her have one, with the knowledge that you will be logging in to check a lot?
Old 02-16-2010, 05:39 PM   #4
luvmy3
When I drink I find its easier to watch my children because I see all 3 of them double, so all 6 of them of them take all my attention

Yes, kids that age have them. My kid that age does not and I'm not sure she will be allowed at 13. She threw a fit about it not being allowed, but she got over it
luvmy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 05:43 PM   #5
marcyinPA
I'll never forget the strong, pungent smell of Noxema!
I was such a fashion disaster!!

Admittedly, I am a Facebook addict. My Dh has an account too, as does my DS14. My DS10 does not.

Our rule is that our DS must be friends with both of us. We have his password, and he knows that his account will be shut down if need to. We have already suspended it once, due to his grades.

I also remind him that when he posts something, especially on someone else's wall or photo, EVERYBODY can see it. We had a little "incident" about a month ago. He posted a comment on a girl from school's photo...he told her she was "HOT"... I found this out just by clicking on the link that said he posted on "so and so's" photo. We talked about it...I am not really fond of the word "HOT" to describe a person. I find it somewhat degrading. Pretty, cute, are fine. HOT, not so much.... Also, this girl has a boyfriend. Not really smart to make comments like that about a girl who has a boyfriend!

Anyway, after some discussion, he deleted his comments.

We also talked to him about what he posts...his language, etc. One of our favorite questions is "Would you be OK with Pastor ____ reading that??" If the answer is NO, then don't put it on your wall.
6/08- We're Cruisin' (NCL
Spirit) for my BIG 4-0!,
6/09- WL (celebrating my birthday with Mickey!)
,2/11- POP
marcyinPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 05:43 PM   #6
Thumper_Man's Wife
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjkacmom View Post
Dd13 and ds11 have accounts, I am their friend, and I have their passwords. All of dd13's friends have an account, and lots of ds's have accounts. I could see your dd feeling out of the loop - maybe let her have one, with the knowledge that you will be logging in to check a lot?
I agree with this...It seems that your dd has already gotten access at a friends house, so who's to say that she won't do it again behind your back. At least this way if you let her have an account and you have access to monitor it, at least you will know what is going on and you will have one less worry. Facebook is the popular thing right now, and I believe it's relatively safe as long as the settings are set right and it's monitored for someone that young.

Thumping Our Way Through Disneyland

We Hopped All The Way To Disneyland Just For Some Dis Meets
Thumper_Man's Wife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 05:47 PM   #7
golfgal
DIS Cast Member
When did vacuums become a status symbol???

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjkacmom View Post
Same here and yes OP most kids have Facebook and along with texting this is how they organized things these days. For the various sports teams, band, clubs etc. the all have Facebook and that is how they schedule practices, etc. As long as you set her privacy settings so not everyone can see her information and she only allows kids she actually knows she will be fine. I would also make sure that her email address is not visible but other then that, they are fairly safe.
golfgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 05:48 PM   #8
GaSleepingBeautyFan
DIS Veteran

Facebook is how DS14 keeps in close touch with his cousins in MN and alot of his friends.

Without it, he wouldn't have as a close of a relationship with his cousins. I do have his password and keep a close eye on his account. So far, so good.

Connie

WDW: 16 family trips, 10 solo trips - resorts stayed at: offisite(6) AoA, AKL(2), BWI, CR (2), WL (2), CBR, CSR, POFQ (3), POP (3), POR (6) ASMo, ASMu
DISNEYLAND: 1 family trip, 2 1 day trips chaperoning
US/IOA: 5 family trips
GaSleepingBeautyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 05:50 PM   #9
MushyMushy
Marseeya Here!
Drama Magnet
I only make exceptions for chocolate Mickey heads
I'm a big pie freak
I'll always laugh myself silly over the flag pole incident.

I didn't allow mine to have one until she was the "legal" age for it -- 13. Then I had to know the password (which I do monitor!) and she has to friend me.

I wouldn't have been happy at all if she'd set up an account behind my back! But I agree with what other's have said that if she sneaked to do it once, she can sneak to do it again and get even better at the sneaking! Some kids are spelling their names backwards to avoid getting caught (like Yhsum Yhsum for mine). I think I'd prefer to go ahead and get her password, make your own account and monitor what she's doing.
Old 02-16-2010, 05:51 PM   #10
Hidden_Mickey
DIS Veteran

Thanks, that's about what I thought. Yes, we've already talked about not writing, texting or posting anything (including pictures) that she wouldn't want the entire world to know.

How do I keep her from changing her password without my knowledge?
Old 02-16-2010, 05:53 PM   #11
dislaney
faithlovepixiedust

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hidden_Mickey View Post
DH and I don't do Facebook... We just aren't interested, like to maintain our privacy, and don't have the time. DD12 has opened an account without our permission (she did it with a friend's help at the friend's house). When I told her "we don't do that" and she wasn't allowed to have an account, she pitched a fit and said "everyone has one" blah blah blah and she is kept out of social circles at school (middle school). So, not having experience with Facebook ourselves, should DH and I be concerned or are we being overly protective? Do kids really have accounts at that age, or is DD exagerating? What the heck do they need it for? Are there parental controls? We have heard so much negative stuff, from kids using it to bully to creeps using it to stalk kids...

Any advice or suggestions you have would be appreciated... Thanks!
Your house - your rules but If my DD12 had opened an account without my permission - it would be closed. There are kids that do have accounts at that age but I don't think is necessary. That being said if you are going to let her keep it make sure you set her privacy settings and I would also make sure that she only adds people that she really knows. I also remind mine not to post anything that they wouldn't want their Grandmother and their principal at school to see. Good luck whatever you decide.
Old 02-16-2010, 05:56 PM   #12
3prettyprincesses
"These pretzels are making me thirsty!"

My DD's friend who is 9 has a facebook account. I don't understand why a 9 year old would need one but obviously that's her parent's decision.

OP, if it were me and my DD did that without my permission, she'd be grounded from the computer for a while. IMO, 12 is too young but that's just me. There are so many stories about perverts trolling the internet. I don't think I'd be comfortable allowing my DD to do that at 12.

Speaking of Facebook, I seriously do not get the hype about it. Everyone says it's so they can keep in touch, etc. Can't we do that through email? Or (gasp!) the phone?
3prettyprincesses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 05:58 PM   #13
MM27
DIS Veteran

I teach 9 and 10 year olds and many of them have Facebook accounts. I only know because a few of them have asked me if I have one because they want to be my friend
Old 02-16-2010, 05:59 PM   #14
remfam5
LOVE PINK

My DD13 has an account, but unlike the other posters- she is not my "friend" but I DO have her password and log in every few days to monitor.

My reasoning for her not being on my friend list is that I do feel that there are people who don't have filters and my page is for grown-ups only.

I still cannot even wrap my mind around all the technology our kids have nowadays, and while I don't particularly like that my daughter has an account, I feel better knowing that she didn't sign-up without us knowing and that we can log on to her page at any time.

Good luck in whatever you decide! Isn't it FUN being a parent!
Oct. 2005 Port Orleans Riverside *9 days* ~Me,DH,DD 8, DS 6, grandma & papa
Oct. 2007 Trip CANCELLED!
Nov. 2008 Hojo Anaheim *5 days* and Paradise Point Resort (San Diego) * 4 days* ~ Me, DH, DD 12, DS 9

Aug. 2009 Disneyland & Huntington Beach * Girls Only BIRTHDAY trip!!* 5 days* ~ ME & friends
Oct. 2010 - Disneyland *5 days*~ Me, DS 11, DD 13, grandma, papa, DCousins 4 & 5, aunt & uncle
Dec. 2013 - Disneyland *6 days* Me, DH, DD 16, DS 14
remfam5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 06:02 PM   #15
golfgal
DIS Cast Member
When did vacuums become a status symbol???

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaSleepingBeautyFan View Post
Facebook is how DS14 keeps in close touch with his cousins in MN and alot of his friends.

Without it, he wouldn't have as a close of a relationship with his cousins. I do have his password and keep a close eye on his account. So far, so good.
DD discovered through Facebook that one of her best friends here is a cousin to one of her best friends from our old town--small world.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hidden_Mickey View Post
Thanks, that's about what I thought. Yes, we've already talked about not writing, texting or posting anything (including pictures) that she wouldn't want the entire world to know.

How do I keep her from changing her password without my knowledge?
You can't other then trying to go online and finding that she changed the password. If she does that and doesn't tell you and you find out, then she pays the consequences like no computer for a month. This is a VERY good way for your DD to earn your trust. If you go around as a parent trying to look for every negative that your child might do you end up with a child that is in trouble all the time, if you expect them to follow the rules, they do most of the time and when they don't they pay the consequences and have to earn back that privilege. Our kids have never lost computer time for changing passwords without letting us know and they have been on Facebook for quite a while now. They don't want to lose the use of the computer and they know we will follow through so they don't change their passwords. It is as simple as that.
golfgal is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: